Author Topic: Gay Marriage + LGBT General News and Discussion Thread - Part 2  (Read 19338 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Gay Marriage + LGBT General News and Discussion Thread - Part 2
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
Some state news and random stuff...

Sioux Falls may ban discrimination of LGBT
The City Council is expected to vote May 3 on the proposal, which is currently making its way through the city’s Human Relations and Human Resources offices.

Officials say the changes are designed to reflect President Barack Obama’s executive order prohibiting anti-LGBT discrimination by federal contractors, as well as laws such as Title XII and Title IX, which have been interpreted by courts to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

The proposal comes on the heels of a vote by Sioux Falls residents earlier this month to add sexual orientation to the city’s hiring policy.

Montel Williams joined Fox News & Megyn Kelly and ripped the North Carolina Repubs

Judge Rules Sex Stings in Long Beach Targeted at Gays is Discriminatory
Dhanidina said Long Beach's vice tactics are discriminatory because the squad uses only male officers as undercover decoys in lewd conduct stings. Several officers who testified at an evidentiary hearing this month all said they had arrested only male suspects for lewd conduct while working as vice officers, the judge said.

Colombia Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

House Panel Trying to Pass Religious Freedom Measure For LGBT Discrimination Among Federal Contractors
The amendment, introduced by freshman Rep. Steve Russell (R-Okla., pictured), would require the federal government when contracting with religious organizations to afford them exemptions consistent with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the American with Disabilities Act. Since neither of those laws prohibit anti-LGBT bias, the amendment would enable religious organizations doing business with the U.S. government to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Because the measure would have the force of law, it would overrule the executive order signed by President Obama in 2014 prohibiting contractors doing more than $10,000 a year in business with the U.S. government from engaging in anti-LGBT discrimination against employees.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2016, 02:44:52 AM »
House Panel Trying to Pass Religious Freedom Measure For LGBT Discrimination Among Federal Contractors
The amendment, introduced by freshman Rep. Steve Russell (R-Okla., pictured), would require the federal government when contracting with religious organizations to afford them exemptions consistent with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the American with Disabilities Act. Since neither of those laws prohibit anti-LGBT bias, the amendment would enable religious organizations doing business with the U.S. government to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Because the measure would have the force of law, it would overrule the executive order signed by President Obama in 2014 prohibiting contractors doing more than $10,000 a year in business with the U.S. government from engaging in anti-LGBT discrimination against employees.
This seems fucky. You're allowing government contracts to go to organizations that use discriminatory business practices. How the shit does that work?

1981-2018
reign over all
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:57 AM »
Eric Fanning, who's gay, being blocked by GOP Senator for Army Secretary Nom Even John McClain wants this guy approved/confirmed!

Wyoming Judge Faces Dismissal For Refusing to Preside over Same-Sex Marriage
The Wyoming Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics has asked the state Supreme Court to dismiss a judge who has refused to preside over same-sex marriages because of her religious beliefs.

Italy Approves Gay Civil Unions
In order to speed up the bill’s passage, Italian Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, called a confidence vote in Italy’s lower house on Wednesday saying it was “unacceptable to have any more delays after years of failed attempts."

Renzi’s cabinet survived confidence vote with 369 voting in favour of the bill compared to 193 against.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2016, 12:04:57 AM »
Rene Martinez, leader of LGBT Community in Honduras Kidnapped & Murdered
Martinez…was a city employee working in anti-violence outreach programs and a rising member of the National Party.

The attorney general’s office said in a statement that his body showed signs of having been strangled. No motive for his murder was given.

Martinez’s family said in a statement that assailants kidnapped him on Wednesday after he arrived home, forcing him into a vehicle. Family members alerted police but his body was found two days later in another neighborhood. He was buried on Saturday.

Gay Couple in Morocco Thrown In Jail For 6 Months, Dared to Have Sex In Car
Prosecutors sped through a trial, before an investigation had even been completed and they weren’t able to get proper legal representation.

The couple, who GSN will not name to protect their safety, had gone to a deserted area in the outskirts of Guelmim, a southern city of the north African country, on 26 May.

Police reportedly caught the two young men having sex in their car and arrested them under article 489 of the Penal Code, which criminalizes ‘lewd or unnatural acts with an individual of the same sex’.

Chrisitian Rock Artist Trey Pearson Shares Story of Coming Out on The View

Gay Corrections Officer Sues Texas County For Ignoring Radio Calls
After Boyd told the nurses he was gay and offended by their remarks, one of them stopped but the other did not. When Boyd filed a complaint with his supervisor, the retaliation began.

“Despite his complaints, he has still been in the same pod with the nurse who continues to make those comments,” said Boyd’s attorney, Kasey Krummel (above left). “An investigation is being conducted against Officer Boyd based on the nurse’s complaints that his allegations are untrue. Yet no investigation has been conducted on behalf of Mr. Boyd’s complaints that the nurses are acting discriminatorily.”

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2016, 02:54:56 AM »
Quick bit of positive LGBT news: Miss Missouri becomes the first openly gay contestant in Miss America beauty pageant

'My focus of my year isn't going to be that I'm gay,' said O'Flaherty, who owns a clothing store in suburban St. Louis.

'It's certainly a big part of who I am, and I will be promoting it and raising awareness for the LGBT community. But also there will be many appearances that I do that have nothing to do with that.

'And so I'm hoping that I can strike a really nice balance of staying true to the values of Miss Missouri and also being able to exercise my personal views.'

Instead, she said, she will make suicide prevention her platform of interest for the competition.

Offline devo

« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2016, 01:44:27 AM »

Nice gesture, but maybe next time don't use the two most uncomfortable officers in the precinct.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2016, 02:08:28 AM »
Possibly a case of "we have to get to fucking work, stop taking 200 pictures of the same thing."

1981-2018
reign over all
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2017, 02:27:30 AM »
http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/06/comprehensive-sexuality-education.php

never thought I'd see the day when China was ahead of the US on these issues. Trump is dragging the country so far backwards.

if i stop posting, you know they got me

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
The LGBT positive stuff in the book seems odd since it's against the law to show same-sex couples on Chinese TV.

Offline what.the.hell.have.i

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2017, 05:39:30 AM »
Nitpicking but at the very best it's a public acknowledgement. He's been married to a guy since 2015. That's coming out, informally maybe but coming out none the less.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »
Also kind of tired of the LOLZ everybody KNEW he/she were gay! attitude. It's kind of insulting (we all knew, you idiot) on one hand and dismissive of their actual coming out on the other.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »
Well, I don't exactly follow Barry Manilow news feeds, so this is the first I've heard of him being gay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »
Well, I don't exactly follow Barry Manilow news feeds, so this is the first I've heard of him being gay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had no idea either.

I said something to my wife and she said "oh yeah. I thought that was already known" but she didn't say it in a snarky way or anything.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2017, 01:03:08 AM »
A Republican lawmaker has claimed that there is a “distinction” between human beings and homosexuals.
Rick Brattin, a Republican lawmaker in the Missouri House of Representatives, made the shocking claim during a debate over a bill amendment to protect LGBT people from discrimination.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/11/republican-lawmaker-theres-a-distinction-between-gays-and-human-beings/

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
Two of my cousins came out as lesbian, I think.  One may be bi.  Don't know because my family is mostly religious conservatives so they definitely won't be promoting that shit.  I haven't seem either one in years but good for them.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.
  • LEFT IS THE BEST
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:49 AM »
We had a trans woman win the D primary for State Assembly in a district near where I live. The Republican incumbent is the guy who introduced the failed anti-trans bathroom bill here. I plan on donating / volunteering for the challenger.

edit: she would be the first openly trans state legislator in the U.S.
Hillary is sour grapes.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
We had a trans woman win the D

Huh, I would have figured she wanted to get rid of that.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.
  • LEFT IS THE BEST
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
2/10; keep on digging, Watson
Hillary is sour grapes.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2017, 04:29:25 AM »
Is this going to be our country from now on? Democrats are in charge so we walk forward then Republicans take over and we sweep backwards?

I mean I guess it might have been happening in this country since the beginning, but now I'm more aware of it due to my age and such. Still it feels like it's been really jarring the amount of going backwards we're doing since the election.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »
New York Top Court Gets First Openly Gay Judge

"Mid-level appeals court judge Paul Feinman was elevated Wednesday to the state Court of Appeals, with the state Senate unanimously confirming him less than a week after Gov. Andrew Cuomo nominated him for the post.

Feinman, who previously served in the Appellate Division in Manhattan, will fill the lone vacancy on the seven-member Court of Appeals, which was created by the April death of Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam."

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2017, 05:23:09 AM »
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-christian-right-has-a-new-strategy-on-gay-marriage/

"Colorado bakery owner named Jack Phillips is a devout Christian who closes his shop on Sundays and refuses to take business that he says violates his religious beliefs — including making cakes celebrating Halloween, atheism and “any form of marriage other than between a husband and a wife.” In doing so, he is defying his state’s anti-discrimination law, and the Supreme Court will now hear oral arguments on whether he has the right to do so.

The case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, represents a pivotal new legal strategy for the Christian conservative movement grounded in religious liberty claims rather than arguments that the law should reflect their values.

The issue of “religious liberty” has become an increasingly high priority for the broader conservative Christian population, particularly white evangelical Protestants, who are overwhelmingly politically conservative and traditionally seen as the core of the Christian right."

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2017, 05:51:23 AM »
How do you celebrate atheism?

Offline Hawk 34

« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:34 AM »
 throw a party and nobody shows up.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »

take out the probably. The only other ones I found when I googled it were just big "A''s that looked homemade so i really don't think this is a thing.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:31 AM »
Sometimes the Oklahoma in me comes out and I wonder why most LGBT people don't just go to a different bakery? Then I remember I'm a straight white male so I can't identify at all and I quickly shut that Oklahoma line of thinking down when I realize that.

I feel like some business savvy person needs a national chain of gay friendly bakeries. They can even have a tagline like 'We bake cakes for straight people too!"

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
Sometimes the Oklahoma in me comes out and I wonder why most LGBT people don't just go to a different bakery? Then I remember I'm a straight white male so I can't identify at all and I quickly shut that Oklahoma line of thinking down when I realize that.

I feel like some business savvy person needs a national chain of gay friendly bakeries. They can even have a tagline like 'We bake cakes for straight people too!"

Some of it is two fold

1: Small town which may only have a single bakery as an option. Most of these "religious freedom" bakeries, to me, tend to seem like they're from areas where they may be the only bakery available.
2: The initial patron(s) may not realize said bakery doesn't cater to them before they request a cake or whatever. Only afterwards they learn the owner doesn't want their business (which seems so stupid on a financial level... yeah, let's reject $$ in my pocket) and they spread the word/spotlight the business as one so that others don't make the same mistake.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
https://attitude.co.uk/article/17046/young-queer-people-shouldnt-be-obliged-to-care-about-lgbt-history-and-thats-the-biggest-sign-of-success-there-is-opinion/

What an incredibly uneducated and disrespectful (and poorly written) statement to make.

Gay Twitter is raking the author over the coals, and rightfully so.