Author Topic: The Best of Standup Comedy?  (Read 7730 times)

Description:

Online Old school tough guy

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
Re: The Best of Standup Comedy?
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
He's got a Netflix special and I recognize his name despite knowing little about modern-day comics, so I'd guess he's p. popular.

Offline King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »
Aziz Ansari and Bill Burr didn't sell out in 10 hours when they played same theater.

Granted, this was 2 or 3 years ago but still.

Offline King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
P. loaded year for me seeing stand ups. In addition to aforementioned John Mulaney show in three days, I'm seeing Michael Che at Wilbur in Boston next month. That show should be interesting cause he caused a NEW ENGLAND CONTROVERSY when he did an interview somewhere he called Boston most racist city he's ever performed in.

Note if you get upset someone accuses Boston of being a racist city, you are probably mildly racist.

Spoiler: show
Quote from: Wacko Walrus
If Boston is so racist then why is Michael Che performing there again

Speaking of cutting racial commentary, I just got ticket to Chris Rock at the hilariously named WANG THEATER in Boston in November. That'll be sweet.

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Going to see Tapeface this week in San Francisco. I really liked him on AGT last year.

Online Damaramu

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:31 AM »
I watched the new Amy Schumer special on Netflix. I feel like her comedy has changed. I used to really really enjoy her. But I feel like she figured out that her shock stuff gets more of a positive/negative reaction than anything else so her show has just become about how many times she can say "pussy".
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2017, 04:07:24 AM »
I watched the new Amy Schumer special on Netflix. I feel like her comedy has changed. I used to really really enjoy her. But I feel like she figured out that her shock stuff gets more of a positive/negative reaction than anything else so her show has just become about how many times she can say "pussy".

Yeah, I agree.  I watched this when it came out because it was in the string before the NBA playoffs where I was just putting Netflix comedy specials on when I did my elliptical at the gym and I felt very similar.  The sad thing is, it feels like she is doing what Sarah Silverman started doing - right from when she was big into fading into the background.

Definitely toward the bottom of the list that I was watching - did a string of the new Chappelle, Garfunkel & Oates, Michael Che, Trevor Noah, this one - those are the main I am remembering.

What does everyone else think of Trevor Noah?  Myself, I still can't get into him.  I feel he is okay and then he gets these weird pander moments.  Like his whole bit about calling someone a pussy from his new special.  It had its moments but then went so far where it was just overkill on social justice stuff.

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
Val Kilmer is coming to the comedy club here as Mark Twain, screening a one-man show of him as Mark Twain, and then doing a Q&A. I have no satisfactory way to follow that up.

Online Old school tough guy

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
how about saying that you're going?!?

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
I thought that was implied.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
Val Kilmer is coming to the comedy club here as Mark Twain, screening a one-man show of him as Mark Twain, and then doing a Q&A. I have no satisfactory way to follow that up.

So he comes up the ramp to the stage, looking like he's going to die any time now, in aviators and a Batman hat while "Take My Breath Away" plays. Then he falls off the stage at the far end, nearly hitting his own merch table. His voice is completely shot from cancer, and he looks so frail it was hard to watch. The Mark Twain vid thing was much better than I expected, however. He was an asshole during the Q&A.

It was all I expected and so much more.

Offline strummer

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
Ralphie May died