Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 1555 times)

Description:

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
Mass Effect Andromeda
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:42:42 PM »
Well, this looks incredible. I love the entire premise of being a pathfinder, and although people hated the ending to 3, I still thought the original Mass Effect trilogy is probably at the top of my all-time list of games played.

And the multi-player I sunk infinity hours in to for ME3 looks like it's back. Needless to say, I'm excited.

Out 3/21.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:07 AM »
Launch Trailer:

I get those patented Mass Effect chills when I watch these videos so I know the hype is real. I'm so excited for the next chapter in this franchise!
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:22:28 AM »
Game looks great, but my backlog is really big still. Going to buy this once all the DLC is out.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:24:17 AM »

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:01 AM »
Playing the 10 hour trial through EA Access. Played the intro mission and maybe 5 rounds of multiplayer.

Intro mission was super fun and the multiplayer is pretty similar to ME3, which in my opinion is a pretty high compliment.

So far so good.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »
A new Mass Effect is just what I need to make a brief return to regular boarding.  My copy came a day early and I spent most of last night engrossed. 

There are definite flaws, but they're not too different from previous games.  The character creator is butt unless you want to create an Asian character, in which case it's actually amazing.  I gave up after about 40 minutes and went with default Sara, who's excellent anyway.  The UI in menus has way too many levels, inconsistent navigation,  and offers little tutorial guidance.  The tutorial mission itself is very challenging because you only have one power and a pistol, and half a squad.  It reminded me a ton of ME1 and Eden Prime, actually.  You can't manually save during main missions, which is insane and led to me dropping my difficulty from Hardcore back to Normal. Autosave checkpoints are way too spread out and led to a lot of replaying.  There's a workaround--change to a side quest, save, switch back--but it's beyond silly. 

But ultimately, this pretty much all falls away.  Hearing the hints of ME3's "Leaving Earth" in the main menu was all I needed to get those chills again. The environments, characters, combat, design, and writing are borderline stunning.  Here's hoping it holds together.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »
Yeah - to me it feels like an extension of ME3 so far. Tempest = Normandy, Nexus = Citadel, etc. Not a complaint in the least. I'm just up through the first world you encounter after the tutorial so far.

I actually purchased the Super Deluxe edition for the free top of the line multiplayer pack once a week for 20 weeks. No idea if I'll play the game that long, but maybe. My best character in MP is an Asari huntress, who wouldn't be my first choice but I'm trying to make it work. I actually got an N7 ultra rare Assault Rifle from the free pack I got, so it got me off to a good start.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:16:32 AM »
I know the ME stories are about humans and their place in the galaxy but I really wish that they'd let you play as one of the alien races.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:25:35 AM »
If given that option, I think there's no doubt I'd go Krogan.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
Turian for me.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
So I was told if you really like Mass Effect then you'll have no problems with this game and enjoy it. ME was one of my favorite trilogies ever.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
I dunno, I might wait for a sale.  The jankiness and the fact that it seems to be more Mass Effect but with half the races, a lot of padding and not as good a story is scaring me off a bit.

At least tell me your pilot is a wiseass that can't walk very well and the ship's doctor doesn't mind getting wasted in the med bay and reminiscing.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:45 AM »
No, you have two pilot types. One is a cute female religious nut and I'm not sure what to make of the Salarian pilot yet. I was not feeling well yesterday (cough, cough) so I played quite a bit - I pretty much cleared Eos and spent the ensuing hour or more talking to everyone on the Tempest and back on Nexus to advance the story. I'm loving the game. The faces are the only thing off but that doesn't bother me too much as half the time I'm just reading ahead on the subtitles anyway.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
I got myself upto 78% viability on eos. I look forward to going back for the remaining side quests there once the atmosphere settles more.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »
So I started this today.  I'm not getting where all the vitriol is coming from.  Seems like a Mass Effect game so far.  I really like the setup and am interested to see where it goes.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »
I don't know how near the end I am but honestly. I don't have a sense of impending doom like there was with Saren or the reaper threat.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »
I don't get as much time to play video games as I used to, so I'm not very far at all. I'm back on Eos after more of the planet has opened up and just took out the Kett base there. I did a lot of Voeld and took out the Kett base there and established an outpost. Haven't even seen Havarl (?) yet - but I have a lot of missions there.

So I think I'm barely into it.

That makes me even happier since the patch should be dropping today that fixes animations a bit and a bunch of other stuff.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »
I don't know how near the end I am but honestly. I don't have a sense of impending doom like there was with Saren or the reaper threat.
I agree. Maybe I'm not far enough into the story and a new surprise big bad is going to emerge, but the Kett just feel like a random threat that don't feel super dangerous to me. The Reapers.. now there was an enemy. That fucking sound would send chills down my spine.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 04:59:11 AM »
I'm still pretty early myself, but I don't think there needs to be a "big bad" here; the push of the story is exploration (my Ryder is basically Space Lara Croft) and interacting with the new races while trying to figure out what the Remnant is all about.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
So I got the patch and......I kinda miss the old facial animations.  Yeah, they were kinda wonky and Pixar-ish, but they seemed much more expressive.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
I'm feeling the opposite. The eyes actually have depth now. Before they just had this uncanny valley android  look to them.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
None of my squad mates are as memorable as a Mordin or Garrus, but I like how Drack is basically what a crotchety old man Krogan would turn out to be.  Peebee is fucking annoying and none of the humans are that interesting (I kinda like Cora though).  What I do like best is Ryder herself being a much more light-hearted character than Shepard was.  She seems to have much more of a personality than the take no shit gruff military vibe Shepard had (which worked for that story to be honest).

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 02:31:49 AM »
Yeah - I actually am beginning to like all of them. Cora, ironically, is probably my least favorite. Shut the fuck up about being an asari huntress every time I talk to you, Jesus. Liam is cool, Drack is awesome. I like Jaal.

I'm also not far at all, just got past the exaltation (which is great because if you did it you know what I mean and if you didn't that means nothing)... so who knows how they change. Haven't been able to unlock any loyalty missions yet.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 02:54:49 AM »
So I juststarted this. It's basically Dragon Age only as ME isn't it? I honestly feel like I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition....which I don't have a problem with.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:09 AM »
I've lost 100% interest in this. Outside of the thin veneer on top, it just doesn't feel like a ME game to me. I don't give one shit about any of the companions, and I actually kinda despise how much of a goof my main character is. I still don't feel like there is a looming threat and the Remnant/Kett just aren't doing it for me. Just don't think it's for me, which I'm kinda disappointed about as I was super hyped for it when the videos were dropping pre-launch. Time for a trade-in while the value is still (?) there.. :(

Offline Sabre

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 04:27:25 AM »
Im at the final mission.  Very underwelmed.  Tho to be honest ive put ALOT of hours into this which is always a plus.  My main issue was the side quests that involved traveling to 3 or 4 different worlds to complete.  Spent more time looking at the space cutscene than anything.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
I'm 25-ish hours in and am still really liking it, though my journal is starting to get a bit clogged up with quests.  What I do is go to a planet/Nexus and just do stuff until I'm tired of the scenery and go somewhere else.  I've got three main quest missions to choose from so I've still got two more planets to go to and an Archon to chase.

And I think the Nomad is a pretty good way to get around once you upgrade it and figure out when to change modes to get up hills.  Anyone complaining about it completely forgot how shitty the Mako really was.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
I'm around the same place, I think maybe just a tad further.

I just saw somewhere that you get absolutely deluged with quests after you finish "Hunting the Archon" so I'm working on getting that done so I can see where I stand afterwards.

I also still really enjoy it.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
Completed it last night.  Overall i really enjoyed it.  I think i was just more sad that i kept comparing it to the original trilogy which i loved to death.  The fetch quests really pick up after the archon mission so i would do as much as possible before that.  I had 100% viability before that so skipped a few of the silly ones till after the main game.  Finished at level 60 or just below it i think.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
I think the thing that is helping my enjoyment the most is that I'm NOT trying to compare it to the trilogy and am treating it as a whole new story arc made by a new studio that just takes place in the Mass Effect universe.  Just did the Archon mission and things are starting to ramp up.  I looked ahead a bit (without getting spoiled) and I'm actually not too far from the end of the main story, so I'm probably going to explore the other two planets I haven't been to yet before going further.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 02:46:55 AM »
So I think I'm getting pretty close to the end. Honestly this game is just Dragon Age in space, not that I have a problem with that.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
So it seems this has killed the franchise which is an absolute shame. If this was a stand alone without the PS3 classics it would be a fine game.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 01:09:35 AM »
I beat this last night. I'm with Sabre. As a ME game it wasn't greatx but I treated it like a stand alone and I enjoyed it just fine.

I did hate the fetch quests and flying from planet to planet though. 

Also

Spoiler: show
 I know it was supposed to be stand alone,  but I kept hoping for this to tie into the original trilogy somehow

Like the Remnant being what humanity became after the original trilogy or the scourge being related to Reapers.