Author Topic: Chips: Your favorite brand/flavor ever?  (Read 34034 times)

Description:

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Re: Chips: Your favorite brand/flavor ever?
« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
I tried those too recently and was going to post about them! Buffalo Wing flavored chips are generally more miss than hit for me but I thought these were great. Perfect balance between the buffalo sauce and the cheese/dipping sauce flavors.Probably best new chip flavor I've had all year.

Had these last night for the first time in a few years. Drinking was involved. If you can't tell it's barbecue, Sour Cream & Onion, Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup (because it's a Canadian chip company...) flavors all in one chip. Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.
You're probably like me and are loath to throw out perfectly edible (that is, not spoiled) food, but sometimes you just have to do it.
Starvenger

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »
I tried those too recently and was going to post about them! Buffalo Wing flavored chips are generally more miss than hit for me but I thought these were great. Perfect balance between the buffalo sauce and the cheese/dipping sauce flavors.Probably best new chip flavor I've had all year.

Had these last night for the first time in a few years. Drinking was involved. If you can't tell it's barbecue, Sour Cream & Onion, Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup (because it's a Canadian chip company...) flavors all in one chip. Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.

If five Coors Light's will get you tipsy enough to alter the taste of food I guess you don't drink beer much, huh?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »
I usually drink Bud Lime A Ritas. Please reference the Walgreens thread in GTG.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
I usually drink Bud Lime A Ritas. Please reference the Walgreens thread in GTG.
I'm not certain what a Bud Lime A Rita is but it does not sound appealing to me. 

To be honest, I'm not certain what a Lime A Rita is either, but if it involves tequila, a lime and a girl named Rita I may have done that in my college days...
Starvenger

• CXF Writer
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Drink for middle aged women.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
Bud Ritas are apparently the premiere party drink. I was at a birthday party in Pennsylvania this past weekend and damned if everyone there minus me weren't rocking a Raz or Mango Rita.

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #357 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:44 AM »
They do pack 8% alcohol, so they have that going for them. But if you're gonna drink one go for a tallboy, the cans that come in the 18 packs are tiny.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
My poor mother. I mentioned some of the random imports I grabbed at the "build your own 6pack" Section of our higher end grocery store. She did not understand the concept. I said, "You grab 6 different beers to try, pay one price, and if you don't like one at least you didn't buy the entire 6 pack."

"Oh! Cool! Can you get me a Bud Light Lime A Rita to try next time you go."  :o Sure, mom, sure.

On topic: She has a sealed package of Dill pickle chips over there that I might steal next time I go check on her.

Offline Flik

• Rocking My Old Graphic Works
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
Just tried Cinnamon Bun. I don't know about anyone else's, but mine was like exactly like a cinnamon bun. It was so weird.

My favorite chip was an actual chip called Taco Chip. I don't remember who made it, but it was my damn favorite. This was like a few years back.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #360 on: September 14, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
Finally got the Bacon Mac & Cheese Lays Flavors at a country ass, rinky dink grocery store in Jay, Maine. Grocery store didn't even have French Onion Sun Chips..but somehow had three different kinds of Utz BBQ chips (Pit BBQ, Baby Back Ribs, and regular BBQ).

I totally agree with whoever here said the Bacon Mac & Cheese good, maybe even really good but just like the Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavor.

So now having had all four, I rank them from best to worst
1. Wasabi Ginger
2. Bacon Mac & Cheese
3. Cappuccino (I thought this was about as good as you could make a coffee flavored chip but I don't ever see myself really getting a jones for some coffee flavored chips...ever. And I think America agrees. There's bags and bags of this at every drug store & grocery store in America)
4. Mango Salsa (I don't know what I didn't really like about these things. Mango Salsa, on paper, seems like it's an inoffensive, middle of the pack option but I thought these just kind of sucked. I think first mistake was making them wavy.)

• CXF Writer
« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

Don't know if these are new but saw them/ate them for the first time today. Taste like those god damn Andy Capp Hot Fries. We'll see if it has the same effect on my gastrointestinal system.

Incidentally, Walgreen's I bought these at were also selling huge bulk sized bags of Andy Capp Hot Fries for 2 for 4 (or $2.50 for one). I did not get any.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2014, 01:34:45 AM »
Taste like those god damn Andy Capp Hot Fries. We'll see if it has the same effect on my gastrointestinal system.

Incidentally, Walgreen's I bought these at were also selling huge bulk sized bags of Andy Capp Hot Fries for 2 for 4 (or $2.50 for one). I did not get any.
I don't think I've seen Andy Capp hot fries in Canada.

It also begs the question as to why the fuck they have Andy Capp-branded merch in the US.  I have nothing against Andy Capp - I enjoyed the comic strip when I was younger - but he's rather definitively British, and since he's in a newspaper strip it's unlikely to resonate with kids who would presumably be picking up these Hot Fries.
Starvenger

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2014, 05:55:04 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Capp%27s_fries

On the back of some packages, Zesty Ranch was listed as one of the flavors, but it was never produced

huh

• CXF Writer
« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
Andy Capp is still featured in newspaper cartoon strips in the States. I know that kids don't read them but there's still plenty of Garfield and Peanuts branded stuff in the USA too. Although those have TV shows that I'm sure (I hope...) kids still watch.

Also if you let your kids eat Andy Capp Hot Fries, you're a horrible parent. I think I'd rather give an eight year old a beer than a bag of those....

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
I wonder if you can still get them from ice cream trucks. That's the only place I ever saw them growing up.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
That's funny you mention that. Until I saw them in Walgreen's, only place I'd ever seen Andy Capp Hot Fries was at independent convenience stores/gas stations in out of the way locations. Can't remember seeing them a single time at a grocery store or 7-Eleven.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #367 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Scarily enough, I only knew of Andy Capp fries from the section of the school cafeteria that sold chips and candy and shit.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #368 on: October 03, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »
This is great, I just bought 2 bags of Andy Capp branded fries (one cheddar, one hot) while getting BBQ sauce for my pulled chicken sandwiches and come on here to see you all discussing the merits of this wondrous snack. Haven't had any in a while.

Also, as far as cartoons go, I only buy the canned spinach that has Popeye on the label.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #369 on: October 03, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Scarily enough, I only knew of Andy Capp fries from the section of the school cafeteria that sold chips and candy and shit.

Same here. They sold them in my cafeteria in middle school. People used to stock up on them and sneak bites during class.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #370 on: October 05, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
Andy Capp's Hot Fries are some of my favorite chips ever produced. They're available basically everywhere here.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »
Wasabi Ginger won! You know it's legit when America's bacon obsession actually failed to win.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
I preferred the bacon mac and cheese but it was way too similar to cheesy garlic bread so I'm OK with that.  Anything but the fuck cappuccino ones!

Offline starvenger

« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
So Kettle brand chips now has a Sriracha flavour.

Review forthcoming.
Starvenger

« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
Ruffles put out jalapeno popper chips recently and goddamn they are delicious.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »

Got these for the Hell in a Cell Party tonight on a whim. Yes, two people there made "Don't want no EBOLA CHIPS" joke already so no need for that. They were pretty good. Like a BBQ chip except it tasted sort of like legit BBQ meat. Not just the sauce. No idea if it actually tastes like South African BBQ. God damn Trader Joe's. Good chip though. 8 out of 10.

Hope I don't get EBOLA now.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #376 on: November 12, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
I got a bag of those new Lay's Garlic Cheesy Bread chips.  Not bad.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
OK so those Sriracha chips.

First off, despite what it says on the packaging, it's not hot.  Maybe a little spicy, but definitely not at the level one would expect from a chip with the flavour of a hot sauce.

Apart from the heat, I think they got the taste right.  I was worried that this might taste too much like ketchup chips (which I don't believe you have in the States) but thankfully they managed to stay away from that.  So basically it's a neutered Sriracha, which, if this was actually hot sauce, would not be good, but since it's a chip it's a letdown but not bad.

I'll call this one about 8/10, even with the lack of heat.
Starvenger

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
There are new Cheez-It Grooves which are kind of a cross between regular Cheez-Its and Triscuits.  The cheddar ranch ones are tremendous.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #379 on: May 10, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
They've been around for awhile now. I liked the Chipotle cheddar ones.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #380 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
This year's Lay's Pick Your Flavor batches are by far the best and I haven't even had all four. Southern Biscuits & Gravy and Greektown Gyro are somewhat shockingly pretty damn good. West Coast Truffle Fries are also tasty but taste too much like just a regular Sour Cream & Onion/Cheddar & Sour Cream type chip. New York Reuben is the one I haven't tried but it's the second most promising one on paper.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
Just had a bag of the Reuben ones and they was amazeballs, as close to tasting like an actual reuben as possible.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:15 AM »
Just opening the Reuben bag was an experience unto itself. It smelled like a whole deli. I'd have to pick that one. The biscuits and gravy is almost as good, but the pepper is a bit too strong. Truffle Fries were better than I thought but there's no way I'd eat a whole bag - too rich for my blood. It'd be good to have a handful of, but no more.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #383 on: August 16, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »
These are the Canadian flavours:

BBQ Baked Beans, Butter Chicken, Montreal Smoked Meat, and PEI Scalloped Potatoes.

The very idea of baked beans (one of my least favourite popular food items ever) as chips disgusts me.

« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
Butter chicken poutine disgusts me, can't see it making a delicious transition to chip form. The smoked meat one might be decent if it tasted like the pickling spice they use on the brisket but artificial meat flavours.....no thanks.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #385 on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
I got a few bags off both countries' during the long weekend.

The Reuben were fantastic, but with a bit of a pickle taste (which was unexpected, but still delicious). I bought a bag of the Gyro as well but didn't get a chance to try them.

Picked up the Montreal Smoked Meat and Butter Chicken the next day when I got back to Canada. The butter chicken were okay, almost a little too sweet. The Montreal were terrific, although with a taste of mustard almost more predominant than the smoked meat. Still terrific though.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »
need to move to Canada to try the PEI scalloped potato potato chips

« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2015, 01:49:24 AM »
I can't imagine what they'd taste like. And I'm quite familiar with the taste of scalloped potatoes. Onion and cream?

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #388 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
I've never gotten any of the flavor contest chips.  A couple weekends ago I was making burgers and ended up grabbing a bag of Biscuits and Gravy, as the store had all but the Gyro ones, which were the main ones I wanted.  Surprisingly enjoyable but it weirded me out how much they tasted like sausage gravy.

Last night I found the Gyro ones when running errands, bought a bag to try at some point, probably this weekend.

Went to Subway for lunch today and they had the single bags of gravy and truffle fries.  Got the truffle fries.  Don't know if they didn't mesh with my sub but they were bland to me.  Then again, we know what happens to people who enjoy things from Subway...
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #389 on: August 30, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »
Alright, the gyro ones were solid but pretty overpowering.  Based on my total lack of interest in Reuben, I'd have to say Biscuits and Gravy gets my vote this year because it seemed like the least greasy out of all of them.  Maybe it is because I barely ever eat chips but these all seemed super greasy.  Even the one I vote for, I probably wouldn't seek out again.
[img width=800

Offline Lamar Odom, WHO WAS ON CRACK

• Alfdogg
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
I also voted for Biscuits and Gravy.  The Gyro ones would be my second choice.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline IRS Abdominal Stretch

• brock lock
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2016, 04:51:14 AM »
Lays are doing a flavor swap of four old flavors vs four new ones.

https://www.flavorswap.com/

Out of the new ones I've only tried the Olive Oil & Herb kettel chips which are amazing. Fiery Roasted Habanero should be good and Smoked Gouda/Korean Barbecue could go either way.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2016, 05:01:31 AM »
I voted without trying any.  I'm what's wrong with this country
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:54 AM »
Eating some of the gouda & chives ones now and they're pretty much exactly the same as the Cheddar & Sour Cream ones they're facing off against. WTF Lay's!?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2016, 05:08:35 AM »
I had the Korean BBQ last night. Kinda bland, but with a weird charcoal grill aftertaste. Not a fan.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
I tried Doritos BLAZE. A bit too hot to really enjoy eating in a handful like your typical Doritos,  although the heat subsides in your mouth after a bit. Like, I would enjoy this heat more on a chicken wing than a chip. Guess I shoulda bought the MTN DEW ICE to properly cool off 😎

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #397 on: February 18, 2018, 05:32:16 AM »
Someone opened a bag of Doritos Blaze next to me and the scent alone told me I wouldn't enjoy it.