Author Topic: Movies Worth (and Not Worth) a Blu-Ray Player  (Read 3555 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Movies Worth (and Not Worth) a Blu-Ray Player
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Bumping this to echo the Twilight Zone Set.

Another very good one is Underworld (the 1st one).  Looks gorgeous and the sound is good too.  Made me appreciate the mutant effects/costume effects much more.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Just watched The Deer Hunter today. This movie looks amazing on Blu. There are a lot of dark scenes that look really nice here.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »
Been re-watching stuff in my collection.  Glory is really solid visually for coming out in 1989 and the audio is really spectacular as even "background" voices can nearly be made out individually.

Amadeus is just fucking gorgeous all the way around too.  Worth whatever the price is.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 03:13:52 AM »
The Fast and The Furious series stands out on Blu-Ray too, great sound and good picture. 

Also a great, handy link to Blu-Ray PQ.  They list Die Hard as Bronze and I can definitely understand that.  It's an okay transfer for a movie that arguably deserved much, much better.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2016, 07:14:28 AM »
The DTS-HD 5.1 Mix alone is worth the upgrade for Disturbing Behavior. Actually heard lines of dialogue I'd legit never heard even on the normal DVD. The score especially stands out on this film. Some of the darker scenes look a little soft and lack some detail/clarity but overall it's a solid upgrade visually more so in the daytime shots and some of the outside nature shots look good too.

Shout Factory released it and their Blu-Rays tend to rarely go on sale so if you can get it for $19.99 it's worth it if you are a fan of the film itself.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »
Zootopia is friggin' gorgeous on Blu-Ray and anime wise, Soul Eater also looks really, really good visually which makes the series stand out even more.

Mad Max: Fury Road is also great and you get a much better sense of the designs on everything visually. Also the sound is an orgasmic overload of the senses. Worth every penny.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2016, 01:47:03 AM »
Future Diary looks really good too. The colors especially pop really well. The contrast is one of its strongest aspects visually.

The English TrueHD 5.1 Mix emphasizes a lot of the subtler, background sounds much better and gives a fuller experience. The Japanese TrueHD 2.0 Mix emphasizes the voices/speech and includes subtitles automatically (but there are no subtitles for the English mix).

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »
The UK Version of Diary of a Lost Girl is fantastic for such an old film. Just a shame the US Kino Lorber release was not the right aspect ratio but the piano score is exquisitely beautiful and lush to listen to. EUREKA did a fabulous job with this title so its worth a purchase if you like old silent films and don't mind changing the Region Settings on PowerDVD or another program. A lot of the restored scenes help fill out the plot and make the film much more coherent as well.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
Bumping this because you people deserve to know the Blu-Rays to pick up.

I already loved the Silence of the Lambs blu-ray release from 2009 but the Criterion release is stunning in quality upgrade & blows that one away especially visually. Given the plethora of dark scenes that now pop out more a bit, this is well worth the price but the Alternate 5.1 Surround Mix is equally great particularly with regard to sound effects.

The increase in visual detail, balance skin tones, firmer color balance really helps spotlight the great directing by Demme too.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
I'm blown away that anybody would own a Blu-Ray player, and even more astonished that anyone would purchase Blu-Ray DVD's. You guys know the internet exists, right?

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
If you have a PS4 you have a Blu-Ray player, so that part isn't very weird.

Plus, some people don't like blurry shit. I do have a few Blu-Rays with features that aren't widely available, but collecting them is a big hell no. Physical discs take up too much space.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
I'm blown away that anybody would own a Blu-Ray player, and even more astonished that anyone would purchase Blu-Ray DVD's. You guys know the internet exists, right?

I don't want to watch a movie at my computer or on my phone.

I don't really buy new movies anymore, but what I do own I like having.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:40 PM »

I just use my PS4 as my Blu-Ray player so it's not that surprising. Also the computer/phone speakers usually suck (even headphones can be iffy quality wise depending on what you have) and I'm more audio focused than most people.

Offline Aero

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:52 AM »
On purchasing Blu-rays/DVDs with today's technology, I'm just the type of person that prefers having the physical copy of the movie sitting on my shelf for collection purposes, even though my collection is far from big. I probably only buy 3-5 movies a year, at most.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:49 AM »
Tron Legacy tends to be my go-to when testing sound and picture quality.

Online Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
I still buy physical media from time to time and have retained a huge VHS collection. My copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre died some years back, so I finally upgraded to DVD. Found a used copy that also had a free Blu-Ray disc, so why not? Wow, TCM looks amazing on Blu-Ray. There's so much increased picture detail that I felt like I was watching it for the first time all over again.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #28 now available! I pay tribute to Bruiser Brody in the 30-year anniversary of his passing. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
My favorite second hand movie/video game shop is closing down on the 18th so Monday I made a run there. I picked up the Halloween collection on Blu-Ray. It's not the extravagant limited edition, but it's still pretty much the whole collection.