Author Topic: Hereditary  (Read 378 times)

Description: from the producers of "Split" and "The VVitch"

Offline Gary

• Manor of Infinite Forms
  • CXF Writer
Hereditary
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:51:47 AM »

Christ, this looks really good.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline Brooklyn Cienfuegos

• BZ
  • BZ
Re: Hereditary
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Not watching the trailer so will watch expecting nothing. When is it being released? Or on iTunes?

Online Brocklock

• brock lock
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
June 8th. A24 probably will go the same route they did with The Witch, Green Room, and It Comes At Night and release it wide. Trailer looks awesome, but I hope it's not like It Comes At Night where it ends up being a completely different movie.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
The VVitched fucking sucked, but this looks great!

Offline Brooklyn Cienfuegos

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »

The witch fucking ruled

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »

The witch fucking ruled

The goat was fantastic.  The rest of the movie didn't do anything for me.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »
Got a ticket to see this Monday the 11th. Figured I'd check this out before The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Lost Kingdom wipe out 1/2 the movie screenings in theaters across the nation.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:41:49 AM »

The witch fucking ruled

The goat was fantastic.  The rest of the movie didn't do anything for me.

This.

I just got back from overseas and I saw a TON of ads for this there.  Hadn’t really heard about it until then.   
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:04:24 AM »
I cant remember the last film I saw on the Thursday night before Friday release day, but I'll be doing so tonight. Time will tell if this is the horrifying film it's being touted as. They sure did good with the trailers though.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 12:51:01 AM »
So....yeah....this film was indeed all it was promoted as.....no bullshit....I think it scarred me a bit. Not a real jump scare type of film, but there is some. It's more of a subversively sinister film with some of the imagery and the build of intense "what the fuck" moments.

Really intense and disturbing film on many levels. Just psychologically speaking alone, it was well enough fucked up and incredibly sad and tragic as it gets. There wasnt any real breaks of happy-go-lucky positive reinforcement much. It just kept getting more dire and more dark.

Really strong performances for a horror as well. Toni Collete was something else, playing a really dysfunctional woman on the brink of madness, and it kinda rolls into the rest of the family as the film goes onward. The themes presented by her performance were vast as she showcased alot of grief, resentment, and hostility due to deep seeded family issues that spiral out of control. There was an underbelly of mental health issues as well with all of the main characters, which made it even more crazy and anxious in a sense to decifer what was going on.

The story just kept getting more darker and deeper and the score made things even more anxious and tense with a very subtle background noise during many scenes, which I think plays into a bigger story of things after now seeing it. It fucking got me VERY anxious as this kept on.

Don't expect much for gore, but there is certainly moments of imagery that will leave a mark on you in that sense.

Go see this if you truly want to be freaked out, it sure got me good....it's still haunting my mind 12 hours later....literally paralyzed me in my chair in the theater many times. I can't recall a horror that has done that in eons.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 04:09:58 AM »
Just got out of the theater about 20 minutes ago. Holy shit, that was phenomenal. I didn't watch the trailer or read anything about it before so I went in totally blind with everything going on. It blew me away. I told my mom, who wanted to know how it was, that the great reviews aren't doing the movie justice.

I haven't felt this way after a movie since The VVitch. I had the same reaction, just sat there in the theater after it was over. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Everything was perfect. The acting, the score, the story. It built beautifully.

Pretty much everything RedJed said I second. The imagery was seriously messing with me. I had to turn my gaze from the screen a few times. It was very, very unsettling. The way they would show things in the shadow, the sound editing. My goodness, I need to see this again.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 04:28:31 AM »
Got tickets to see it this evening - hyped!
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
I also intentionally avoided much info about it other than the trailer I saw during other films and general buzz about it. I certainly want to see it again but I think I need to wait awhile as it freaked me out good ...almost too good...but there was probably alot of things to pick up on more with a second look.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
This was great, and I really enjoyed it, but I didn't find it as terrifying as everyone had said it was. Exorcist is still my benchmark.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:08 AM »
This was great, and I really enjoyed it, but I didn't find it as terrifying as everyone had said it was. Exorcist is still my benchmark.
I think to compare it to "The Exorcist" is a bit of a disservice. It's clearly influenced by that film (as well as by "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Shining") but I feel like it works as its own thing without trying to outdo the classics. Besides, few films in general can match up to "The Exorcist."

All that being said...this is the most horrified and unnerved I've felt towards a horror movie since "Audition." I was actually sweating out of fear watching the thing, and some of the imagery in this will never leave me (especially
Spoiler: show
Toni Colette floating over her son while he doesn't notice it and later her slamming her head  on the attic door
). The entire audience I saw it with was horrified too, with one guy saying he wanted to leave near the end.

Also worth pointing out is that is also works exceptionally well as a drama, and the acting is top notch-Toni Colette in particular. She doesn't just deserve an nomination-she deserves a fucking Oscar for her work in this.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 05:59:32 AM »
It's possible I'm speaking too soon. I felt really taken out of the mood of the movie because my theatre was full of assholes who were laughing at *everything* .. I should probably see it again, to be honest.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
It's possible I'm speaking too soon. I felt really taken out of the mood of the movie because my theatre was full of assholes who were laughing at *everything* .. I should probably see it again, to be honest.
There were three guys who were like that up until third act came along. Even before that I could tell it was nervous laughter, which I'm totally fine with.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
I've never seen a movie with such an incredible first half fall so hard on its face like that. Using the concept of grief and mental illness as a backing to the story worked wonderfully and then it devolves into SPOOOOKYYYYYY STORRRRRYYYYYY garbage. Cut a half hour off and it's a really, really solid horror film. Keep it as is? I laughed my ass off and then got mad at how patronizing its closing moments were.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
I've never seen a movie with such an incredible first half fall so hard on its face like that. Using the concept of grief and mental illness as a backing to the story worked wonderfully and then it devolves into SPOOOOKYYYYYY STORRRRRYYYYYY garbage. Cut a half hour off and it's a really, really solid horror film. Keep it as is? I laughed my ass off and then got mad at how patronizing its closing moments were.
I knew you would hate this.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
So did I, but I wanted to give it a real chance. Now I know to avoid A24 unless it's a Jeremy Saulnier film.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »
My problem with the nervousness laughter is this isn't a movie like Get Out where you have the one dude acting as comic relief or other scenes that were genuinely funny, so I'd expect some loud laughter. This was by and large a "serious tone" movie. These folks were laughing their asses off at the car accident or the dinner table argument and I'm just like, what happened to you as a child that you find this shit hilarious?

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
I laughed at a lot of it because quite a bit was forced or just ridiculous (the self-garroting especially). Not nervous laughter, outright "this is hilarious" laughter because so much is borderline parody.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 04:11:18 AM »
I laughed at a lot of it because quite a bit was forced or just ridiculous (the self-garroting especially). Not nervous laughter, outright "this is hilarious" laughter because so much is borderline parody.

I didn't see any of this tone at all in this film. But to each their own. I thought they got the vibe down very well, especially with the slight humming background noises in certain schizophrenic scenes.

• KOAB
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:58 AM »
Had no idea the legendary director/writer who made this

Is the guy who came up with Hereditary. I can now understand why some people find this movie comical in some parts.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Just got back from this. Very good for the most part although the final 10% kind of got a little corny/goofy
her crawling on the walls mainly
. 8/10

Works great as a psychological thriller studying the family dynamics of
mental health issues permeating family via one side (mother's in this case) especially in relation to trauma and losing family members
. Toni Collette was fantastic and Gabriel Byrnes was pretty solid albeit a bit... understated but that seems to be the way he acts in his movies. A lot of the effects were very subtle and well done and I liked a lot of the atmospheric tension throughout.

For anybody who has seen the trailer, most of it takes place within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie so I could see this almost being a bait and switch but the path the actual movie goes down is far more intriguing and haunting on multiple levels. The
sacrifice/body vessel transference from Charlie into Peter
was okay but felt more like a wrap up independent of everything else which was going on in a way. It worked but was more like, okay, whatever.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 04:30:30 AM »
Ok, I saw it a second time with another friend who had yet to see it. We went mid-afternoon and the theatre was pretty empty.. definitely added to mood and I was definitely getting more into it the second time out. The piano string scene has so much more impact when you don't have random bros losing their minds at how 'hilarious' it is.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:10 AM »
Ok, I saw it a second time with another friend who had yet to see it. We went mid-afternoon and the theatre was pretty empty.. definitely added to mood and I was definitely getting more into it the second time out. The piano string scene has so much more impact when you don't have random bros losing their minds at how 'hilarious' it is.

The idiotic bro types in my theater (there were 3 of them) weren’t even doing any nervous laughing when that happened. They were actually horrified. I love it when a movie does that to people.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:59 AM »
My friend was legit horrified by it, their reaction was priceless ;)

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
Saw this today and really enjoyed it. It gave me a sense of unease that I haven't felt since Goodnight Mommy. I recommend it.