Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Wrestling / Re: TWIW 9/18-9/24: Braun Will Have No Mercy
« Last post by Kotzenjunge on Today at 12:19:09 AM »
I haven't gotten it yet, but is Steve Blackman: Bounty Hunter still a possible reality show?
Don't play with my emotions like this.
TV/Film & Literature / Re: In Which I Review Movies
« Last post by Harley Quinn on September 20, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
I remember liking the race sequences in that film a lot but that was about the extent of it. Like you said, there are some bad things that almost overshadow it but the film is what it is to the point that it kind of becomes easier to overlook.
Sports / Re: Later Ya'll (This Eternity in Baseball)
« Last post by Harley Quinn on September 20, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
Sale has a shot at passing '99 Pedro for most Ks in a Red Sox season.  Sits at 299 and might get a chance to get to 300 tonight.  Fucking beast.

Him vs. Kluber is going to be a war in October and for the Cy Young.

EDIT: And there it is.

Pedro had 313 in 1999 unless somebody said it wrong. His entire year is bonkers... just 37 walks, only 213.1 IP, a 13.2 K/9 and arguably 2000 was even better.
« Last post by 209 on September 20, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »

Death Race (2008), directed by Paul W. S. Anderson

My initial reaction when I saw that I was going to wind up watching this was one of cautious joy. I mean, this movie is what it is. I don't know how many people saw Death Race 2000, but I have fond feelings of watching that when I was younger. I don't remember how old I was when I saw that, but probably nowhere near old enough. That film was totally bonkers and may be worth revisiting in the distant future. I don't remember much of anything about it except people trying to run over kids. I also remember playing Twisted Metal when I was younger. It's fair to say that was a lot better than this. I am extremely confused by the cast they put together for this. Someone in particular does not belong in this movie.

The film begins with a title screen that explains the US economy has collapsed and the prison system has been privatized. The warden of Terminal Island Penitentiary is Claire Hennessey, who profits from this system by showcasing a race to the death where inmates kill each other with their vehicle. On the outside, Jensen Ames (Jason Statham) has been laid off from his job. He goes home afterward, and his wife gets killed while he's checking on their baby. Jensen gets knocked out, and when he gets up, there's a bloody knife in his hand and he's been framed for murder. Some months later, Jensen finds himself at the prison, and is asked to assume the role of "Frankenstein." Frankenstein is a masked racer who was killed by Machine Gun Joe (Tyrese Gibson), but Hennessey doesn't want anybody to know that Frankenstein died. The race has been losing money in the meantime, so Jensen needs to take the spot. Jensen meets his team of mechanics, with Coach (Ian McShane) being the leader of this ragtag outfit. Jensen also thinks a nazi named Pachenko (Max Ryan) killed his wife, so in the race he wants to deal with these problems and earn his escape.

The person who doesn't belong in this movie is clearly Joan Allen, who is way above this material and director. Seeing her go into a rage and start cursing was too weird. Everyone else was cast pretty well, although it also turned out that Jason Clarke was better than this material as his career progressed. Of course any movie with Jason Statham and Tyrese isn't going to feature good acting, that's not what this was about at all.

Unfortunately, this also isn't about the satire or exploitation aspect of what you'd expect the story to focus on. It's all about the cars and guns. Make no mistake, this is a trash film to the maximum. The noise in it is complete overload, and it's corny as shit. There's a part with McShane's character at the end that felt like something straight out of a B movie. Which, you know, that's what this is. This film is also very violent, but that's what anyone expects from a Jason Statham movie. That's also what I need. It seems like very few people like these movies, but I thought Crank and [/i]Crank 2[/i] were very entertaining. They were the right kind of overboard. So is this.

This is definitely a love it or hate it movie, because of the way it combines genres and does things that people usually hate. There are so many stereotypes in this movie that it can be completely nauseating if you start to think about it. The problem is that I liked this. I know I shouldn't, but I just don't care. For everything that's wrong with it (like Joan Allen, like Tyrese's character being gay, the gay jokes, the stereotypical Chinese character), there are so many other things right about it. The race sequences are all good. I just couldn't hate them. The more ridiculous they got, the better. I know this movie is shit and I still couldn't hate it. The role of Jensen was supposed to be given to Tom Cruise, which is a crazy thought. I like Statham a lot more though, and he fit the role of...DEATH RACER.

6/10
Sports / Re: CXF Fantasy NBA '17-'18 - Keeper Deadline is Fri Sep 22nd. Draft Sun Sep 24th
« Last post by 209 on September 20, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
The Latino World Order IS IN THE COUNTRY LEAGUE
Sent Yahoo invites to 909 & Kinsey. Used the emails you two had from football/baseball leagues.

Players from Roy's & MFers teams are going back in the general player pool. Both 909 & Kinsey will start with fresh new teams.

Flik had a draft pick trade with Roy. That trade is going to be honored in the spot it would originally have been in had Roy participated. The pick that Flik would have sent to Roy will be deleted from existence.

I'll clean up the draft grid sometime Friday and get the yahoo player pool updated at that time.
TV/Film & Literature / Re: Stephen King's IT Remake
« Last post by Brocklock on September 20, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
I'm kind of interested in

Spoiler: show
what happens with adult Mike Hanlon since most of his character quirks were given to Ben. Stan really didn't get any character development either other than that he is Jewish and I guess scared a little more than the others. His suicide scene probably wouldn't have a lot of emotional impact, so maybe it gets changed.

I loved Skarsgard's Pennywise so I'm there regardless of who is cast. It could be Larry The Cable Guy as Richie and I'm still there.
« Last post by Youth N Asia on September 20, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »

However not that interested in seeing the adult version of this, adults just ruin everything.

Good casting and getting more out of the R-rating could keep me interested.
« Last post by Hawk 34 on September 20, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
Enjoyed this tremendously, one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile.  The clown was perfectly corny but didn't get annoying.  If this movie was just about the kids being friends it would have been just as entertaining that's how good the chemistry was with them.

However not that interested in seeing the adult version of this, adults just ruin everything.
« Last post by 209 on September 20, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »

Michael Clayton (2007), directed by Tony Gilroy

After watching Michael Clayton, my initial reaction was that I didn't understand how this film could have made any money. After all, it's pretty slow, and it gives off the perception of blowing its wad in the first 20 minutes. That's not what happens, but that's what it felt like. I can only imagine a lot of the box office for this film was driven by word of mouth. It's funny I'm going on like this about the film without giving any of my thoughts about it. I mean, I'm basically shitting on it. I shouldn't be doing that. It turns out that I really enjoyed this and thought it was a great watch. Should have viewed the movie far sooner, and I'm surprised nobody I know ever recommended it to me. Of course, this genre is not for everyone, and perhaps that's the reason why.

Michael Clayton (George Clooney) cleans up everyone's shit. That's the simplest way of putting it anyway. He works for a very powerful law firm, and apparently he likes to gamble. The film starts off with Arthur Edens (Tom Wilkinson) ranting and raving, something that plays into the story much later. Anyway, there's further conversation about a settlement or something like that, and we see a woman named Karen (Tilda Swinton) in the midst of a full blown panic attack. After that, we see Clayton gambling, which leads to him being sent to somebody's house to deal with a problem. Clayton tells the man that he needs to get a criminal attorney, which makes him very upset. So Clayton leaves, and after he stops to look at some horses, his car blows up.

Don't you want to know why his car blew up? Well, it takes you the better part of 90 minutes to find that out. In the meantime you learn all about Clayton, Karen, and Edens. Edens turns out to be a manic depressive defending a company named U-North from a lawsuit. Their products killed people, and Karen was their chief counsel. Edens had a major meltdown of sorts and Clayton was brought in to fix the problem. To what extent? Who knows. What does Karen think about the company being left in the wind? Watch the movie if you want to know. You should want to know.

There's nothing particularly bad about this film, it's simply slow. Legal dramas generally are slow and you need to know the characters in order to get invested. To some extent there are too many subplots in this film, which is why I won't be giving this a mega high rating. I didn't care very much about Clayton's family, and I'm not sure it was entirely necessary for one of the characters to be in the story at all. That being said, it padded the film out to manageable two hour length, without making the main plot too bloated.

The payoff to the story is really good, as is the information given about how things got to that point. Clooney, Wilkinson, and Swinton all give really good performances. I think Wilkinson stands out the best, but as we know from my RocknRolla review, I really like him. One pet peeve I have about movies like this is when the filmmakers give away everything about the company early on. That's not the case here. You get a document and that's all you get, but the information about the corporation is revealed to you when you need it. Perhaps best of all is that everyone involved knows the corporation is guilty, so they're not exactly hiding things from anyone. That makes things much more interesting.

There are a few things I wanted to mention that don't fit into my usual format, and the one I have to mention is the film's title. I really do not like the title of the film being named after the lead character. It drives me nuts. Best of all, if you're not paying attention, you don't notice that Clayton's son plays a part in driving Edens forward on his crusade. I wasn't really expecting the film to end the way it did, and it took me quite a bit to write about all this stuff while digesting that.

8.5/10
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10