Author Topic: Extreme Couponing  (Read 1349 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
Extreme Couponing
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:24 AM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this in foods or general chat but figured it'd probably serve a better focus here. Anybody else do this/have family and friends who do it? Pretty sure we have a poster or two who have mentioned they do this practice.

I'm not that extreme yet but I've just started getting into couponing (first focused food trip just saved me $25 and spent about $78 oop) with my best deals probably being Gorton Fish Fillets for $2.99 instead of $4.99 and a box of Gushers for $0.49 which was already 2/$5.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Couponing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:44:05 AM »
I look at the weekly deals at my local Walgreens for discounts on snacks and toiletries and have the Target Cartwheel app on my phone for discounts there but that's as far as my couponing goes.

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:23:57 AM »
In addition to using coupons, I use the Walmart app when I shop there, and Ibotta and Checkout 51 apps for grocery shopping.

For Wal-Mart, which is pretty much already the cheapest store in town for most things, I use their savings catcher feature where you scan in your Wal-Mart receipts and they compare prices with local stores and if they find a cheaper price they will track the difference for you and you can cash it out for a Wal-Mart giftcard whenever you want. I'm at about $10 on a handful of receipts and never really expected to get much.

Ibotta gives you money back for featured items at almost all of the chain grocery stores and other chains that sell groceries. You can get anywhere from like a quarter for something like a loaf of bread to $2 for certain brands of beer, wine, or spirits. I like that for things like bread, milk, and eggs, the brand you buy doesn't matter so for something I was already going to buy, I get money back.

Checkout 51 doesn't care for the most part what store you go to but they only have limited items each week. But there are times where they give money back for something like onions, bananas, etc. I'll buy the smallest quantity or the smallest weight of something and sometimes get more money back than I even spent!

Ibotta will let you cash out via Paypal when you reach $20 and Checkout 51 will let you request a check when you reach $20. These savings in addition to coupons add up pretty quickly.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
I don't go into it much, I get whatever coupons get sent to me in the flyers and once a month some store ones come as well and try to hold onto any I would use to go along with a good sale. Best one recently was on Campbell's Chunky/Homestyle soups, with a good sale I'll usually grab a can or two for when I'm extra lazy. In this case they were on sale buy 1 get 1 free and I had a coupon for $2 off 5, so I grabbed 6 and between the sale and the coupon the total was about $5 and change.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »
Killed it on today's trip as a lot of stuff I get was not only on sale but I had coupons for. Instead of spending $87 I only spent $52.73 and saved $34.35 (40% off the entire haul after Stop & Shop Card + Coupons).

Biggest Savings: Blue Diamond Almonds (4 of them) for $2.25 each instead of $4.59, Ruffles Chips B1G1 Free ($4.29 savings), Thomas' English Muffins B1G1 Free ($4.39 Savings), Welch's Fruit Snacks (3/$5 Sale) for $1.67, $0.66, and $0.66 ($1.00 off Coupon for purchase of 2) instead of $2.99 each, Hebrew National Franks for $1.49 instead of $3.99, and Fiber One Blue Streudels for $1.50 ($0.50 Coupon and on sale) instead of $3.79.

Offline The New Breed

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
Where do you get those coupons from? A store-specific app or what?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
Where do you get those coupons from? A store-specific app or what?

There are mainly two sites...
Coupons.com Just offers a list of coupons whereby you can "clip" them and subsequently print them out. I like this because you can see how much you're saving at the top.
CouponMom.com Love this site because you can see the deals at various Grocery Stores/Drugstores and break down coupons via brand a lot easier. You can also do the same "clip" and print tactic here as well, I just find Coupons.com easier to use in that regard. One of my favorite aspects? You can break down the Grocery/Drugstore by State as well in case Massachusetts has different deals than say Vermont or New York.

I tend to look at Coupons.com first and then scour CM for deals that I may have overlooked. CM also offers up specific Manufacterer Coupons and such that Coupons.com may not show (that's how I got the coupons for the Welch's).

Sometimes you'll have to do 'extra' stuff to unlock a coupon e.g. do a Tweet by clicking the coupon or whatever.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »
Did another solid score on my latest shopping trip, saving myself $37.36 ($29.16 from pre-loads on my Stop & Shop Card including a $10 off over $100 Purchase) with $6.40 saved from Manufacturer's Coupons and $1.80 from Double Coupons.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:03 PM »
Did another solid haul saving $30 and spending a little over $86. Best deal was for Sargento Cheese Slices which were 2/$6 and I had coupons for $1 off 2 and 0.55 off 1 (which got doubled up) so I ended up spending $3.90 for both combined.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:19:08 AM »
Decent trip this go around, saved $19.25 and spent $90.39 OOP.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »
Saved $26.88 and spent $74.81, saved 1/4th of my original price. Best deal was a B1G1 Free for New England Coffee (saved $7.59 there alone) and saved $8.10 off 3 Green Mountain K-Cups (nearly a situation of B2G1 Free in savings).

Last 3 Trips: Spent $251.20 and saved $76.13 (almost the cost of an entire shopping trip).

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 03:35:10 AM »
Big winners on this trip was for a bag of frozen meatballs, normal price $5.49, on sale for $3.29 +coupon for $2.75 off for a total price of $0.54, also 8 O'Clock coffee, $5.99 per bag on sale buy 1 get 1 free +2 coupons for $1.50 off each for $2.99 total

and while not a coupon it's that time of the year, St. Patricks day coming up so crazy low prices on corned beef, picked 2 big suckers up, first reg price of $28.60 sale price $8.70, second normal price 23.99, sale price $7.30 so $16 for what would normally be over $50, was tempted o get more but between those 2 along with a good size pork roast($0.77/lb) and a mega pack of ground beef my freezer is to the max, heh.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:09 AM »
Do you also use the apps that give you cash back? All you have to do is scan a picture of the receipt and scan the upc codes into the app. It's anywhere from 25 cents for some things like fruit, vegetables and milk, and more for some items. Sometimes I've bought a lime for like 10 cents and gotten 25 cents back from the app.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:31:19 AM »
Do you also use the apps that give you cash back? All you have to do is scan a picture of the receipt and scan the upc codes into the app. It's anywhere from 25 cents for some things like fruit, vegetables and milk, and more for some items. Sometimes I've bought a lime for like 10 cents and gotten 25 cents back from the app.

Which app is this? 

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:31 AM »

Which app is this? 

iBotta is one of them that I'm aware of. https://ibotta.com/

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
I use both ibotta and Checkout 51.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »
Spent just $39.32 but saved $15.12 with the big items being: Honey Nut Cheerios for $1.50 (instead of $3.29), Kraft Mac and Cheese 7 for 0.77 Cents each, and Quaker Chewy Bars Chocolate Chunk for $1.24 (instead of $3.49).

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 01:33:10 AM »
Another solid run saving $27.74 and spending $84.70. Best deal was on Stella D'Oro Almond Toast Cookies for $1.25 instead of $3.29. Also spent $3.99 on a Fam Size of Cheez-Its instead of $5.79.

Savings alone from my last 2 trips basically just paid off the 1st trip.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Stop & Shop has a new thing where you can load coupons onto your card through an app so I ended up loading the hell up and saving over $80 all told (a little over $180 became just over $100) because they had a $30 off a $140 order and a $5 off of $30 for trying it out.  I'm pretty much set for most of the month right now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
Speaking of Stop & Shop, I saved $34.35 and spent only $59.93 instead. Had $8.55 off in physical coupons alone and $25.80 from Card Savings. Best Deals: Snyders of Hanover for $1.44 instead of $3.69, Fiber 1 Bars for $2.00 instead of $3.99, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch for $1.50 instead of $3.29.