Author Topic: NFL Week 2: Let's Try That Again  (Read 1420 times)

Description:

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
NFL Week 2: Let's Try That Again
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:17:19 AM »
THURSDAY DEATH MARCH
Texans @ Bengals

IT'S TOO DAMN EARLY FOR THIS SHIT
Bills @ Panthers
Bears @ Buccaneers
Vikings @ Steelers
Cardinals @ Colts (YOUR stinker of the week)
Patriots @ Saints
Browns @ Ravens
Eagles @ Chiefs
Titans @ Jaguars

I'M TOO DAMN DRUNK FOR THIS SHIT
Jets @ Raiders
Dolphins @ Chargers
Cowboys @ Broncos
49ers @ Seahawks

BLACKOUT
Packers @ Falcons

HANGOVER
Lions @ Giants

1. Can this week possibly be less competitive and exciting than last week?
2. Over/Under on Manningface closeups -- 28
3. How much of the 49ers blood will make it to the drains, rather than splashing into the stands or repainting the field?

Offline Zetterberg is Go

• View Profile
Re: NFL Week 2: Let's Try That Again
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:07 AM »
Bills got the job done last week but didn't look great doing it. Hoping McDermott can use his knowledge of the Carolina D against them but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • I AM THE MASCOT CHAMPION!
    • View Profile
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Brian Cushing got tossed for 10 games for PEDs again.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
It is rumored that Andrew Luck wants a trade, although his camp denies it.  It is certainly more than understandable if true since the Colts have basically ruined him through their incompetence, but it is kind of too little too late for him.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »
Luck still has enough raw talent that teams will line up to take him.  Just put a goddamn line in front of him so he doesn't get killed and you'll be fine.

The Saints D is still trash so Brady and Co should get on a better page this week.  Hopefully the defense can wake the hell up.

Offline Gert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
I wasn't going to open up a new thread about this, but figured it could fit in here.

The CFL & CFLPA announced that there are no more padded practices the rest of their season (Week 12 out of 20) and each team will have three bye weeks instead of two weeks. If I read it correctly there will be no padded practices next year after training camp.

I first read this on Adam Schefter's Twitter and then on cbc.ca. It was met almost universally with "guys these days are pussies" and how these practices will "make football extinct".

I've never played or coached football, but I am curious to the thought of having to be able to take hits in practice in order to be able take them in games. I kind of think that is bullshit old mantra.

I'm a little surprised that the NFL hasn't made the move for multiple bye weeks. They can false front that they care about player safety and add another 1-2 weekends of football and ad revenue.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
As somebody who played, contact practice is fucking stupid and needs to be abolished. If they want to teach kids to tackle each other, make them put their pads on and do it without helmets. Make them wear helmets during non-contact. Helmets are extremely dangerous weapons and players shouldn't be wasting brain cells in practice. An enterprising individual would be going around selling headgear that you can't use to tackle to make sure people aren't hurting their heads when they fall down during these practices.

There were so many helmet to helmet collisions in practice that you guys wouldn't believe it. I saw one guy eat a full blown Jack Tatum level hit and I honestly thought he died (he got up a minute later). Kids especially need to learn how to tackle without helmets. High school equipment isn't that good and I've seen people knock screws out of the helmets from hard hits. 

I love this sport and it is necessary that the way practices are conducted needs to be changed in order for people to keep playing it.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »
Luck still has enough raw talent that teams will line up to take him.  Just put a goddamn line in front of him so he doesn't get killed and you'll be fine.

I meant more in the sense that he chose to re-sign with them when he should have left and now he's stuck.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
I think Luck has missed crucial development years that will prevent him from becoming a top QB. Of course if my team needed a QB I'd trade a lot to get him though. He has arm talent and can run, but his decision making is super questionable.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
I expect Patriots/Saints to be a shootout but I also expect the Patriots defense to rebound somewhat. Patriots still put up 27 on KC despite a very off game from Brady so that's a bit promising as far as the offense goes.

Luck will definitely command some type of market given his age and ability but the shoulder issue should scare some teams off too. I can see the Colts being stupid and refusing to trade Luck unless they get some stupid package e.g. 2 1st Rounders type demands and essentially keep Luck around. Luck does have an out in 2020 but he'll be 31 that year. If he does get traded, I can see his new team trying to re-work his deal a bit as well to make it a little more team friendly and mitigate any potential injury conflicts down the road.

Offline Flik

• The Worst Poster In Crossfire
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
I have a feeling that whoever ends up landing Luck is going to have a really solid QB and that the Colts are going to be stuck in hell after he's gone. Not that the Colts deserve it, but the drafting that they do is pretty bad.

Offline Hoodie Alfdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
The Colts are stuck in hell until Irsay dies/sells the team, Luck or no Luck
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Online Hawk 34

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 01:29:07 AM »
It's really absurd and unfair that such a shitty owner and for that matter, an even shittier person has managed to save his franchise not by his own doing but the sheer improbability of landing franchise saving QBs 20 years apart but he overplayed his hand now and deserves the run of dog shit QBs that has plagued other franchises.

I hope he gets a lifetime of McCown's.

Offline Flik

• CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »
Irsay's going to run that team right into the bottom for sure. I mean the only great draft pick has been Hilton.

Also, if Luck doesn't come back this season (on the off chance that is), I totally see the Colts drafting a new QB.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Oh hey, a Thursday game that is horrible.  Shocking.

Offline Cartman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
So the fact that these two teams are garbage has nothing to do with that? There have been plenty of entertaining Thursday games, but when 60% of the NFL is really bad the odds are in favor of horrible games any day of the week. I'm pretty sure Monday night games have been just as bad since those also seem to be usually terrible matchups.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
Andy Dalton is a terrible football player.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
Houston has 9 first downs and are winning.

Holy shit I just realized the Bengals haven't scored a TD this season yet.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »
Bill O'Brien is not an offensive genius. I called "Foreman into the pile" right before that third down. The Bengals brought like nine dudes on a run blitz and sure enough it's fourth down and a punt. What a fraud, only propped up by insane raw talent on defense. The Texans should be fined by the league for crimes against football.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
The Bengals imploding before our eyes will obscure it, of course.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
I only caught the fourth quarter of this game and I wasn't exactly impressed by what little I saw.

Offline Cartman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
I fully expect Marvin Lewis to get another extension tomorrow.

How that guy is the 2nd longest tenured coach in the NFL without winning a single god damn playoff game is beyond comprehension.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
Scorching hot take incoming: the NFL is rapidly headed back towards being a defense first league because offensive line talent is not even remotely comparable to defensive line talent at lower levels, and not even at this level anymore.

Offline A Happy Medium

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
I don't think this hot take is without its merits.  I'm interested then in how QBs will be scouted and how a good, versatile running back will be valued. 

Offline Old school tough guy

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
Hopefully this brings back the fullback.

I have to say, the Bengals being bad is good for the other bottom feeders to get a chance at actually winning a playoff game. How is Miami looking?

Offline strummer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Andy Dalton is a terrible football player.

I said this like 3 years ago and a bunch of people were like "all he does is win!  How can he be bad?!?"

He's garbage. He was propped up by an elite receiver and a damn good defense And I stand by my statement that if Eli played like him and put up his numbers he'd be crucified by the media.  Dalton is starting to rightfully get shit on

Offline fazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Dalton has always done just enough for the coaches to justify him keeping his spot, but the way it looks right now, I would be shocked if AJ McCarron isn't their starting QB by the time they come out of their bye.

Online Hawk 34

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 12:34:29 AM »
The key reason for Dalton's deep decline goes beyond his overall lost of skill and awareness.  The first five seasons, all of those playoff seasons had something crucial that he doesn't have anymore.  A quality OC.   His previous OCs we're creative, original and smart at masking Dalton's severe limitations.   They gave him a lifelong QB coach with none of the qualities of Gruden and Hue.   Since this season is now an unequivocal wash, let go of Zampese now with the extended period before the next game.  Marv was a lame duck going in to the year and is gone and the logical thing is to thank him for 15 years of stability and show him the door but Mike Brown isn't paying him for nothing.

I've said many times that what Marvin did for this franchise is something Bill Belichick couldn't pull off but his voice has been muted and it seems his passion is gone.

Online geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 02:26:10 AM »
Never trust a ginger.  And I mean NEVER!!  He's infected the whole team by now. 
Randy!

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »
Want a laugh?  Go on StubHub and see how many tickets are available for the Chargers' first game in LA.  In a stadium that seats 30,000.

And week 1 ratings took a nosedive aside from SNF so it's not just the Chargers nobody wants to watch.  I got rid of RedZone earlier this year and didn't really miss it much.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 05:58:10 AM »
The reason the ratings are down is because a bunch of triggered pussies get mad at players sitting during the anthem. Then you have the triggered pussies who won't watch because Kap isn't on a team.

Unfortunately there are a lot of triggered pussies in our society.

Also much more obvious is that there are garbage teams in New York, SF, and Chicago. Those teams need to be good to drive ratings.

Online Hawk 34

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 06:12:24 AM »
For the first time in it's history, Bengals have fired a coordinator during the season.  Firing OC Zampese and replaced with Bill Lazor who held the same position with Miami a few years ago.

The bar for him to clear is low so no pressure on this dude to be creative.

Online geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »
Honestly, I've felt the overall level of play has been declining over the last decade.  Last year it was really noticeable.  And the first week this year it was terrible.  Not sure what's causing it, but I really don't think the quality is near what it used to be.
Randy!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
- Eagles placed RB Donnel Pumphrey (hamstring) on injured reserve. He tore his hamstring in practice.
- ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Vikings have "guarded optimism but concern" about Sam Bradford's left knee injury. He's expected to start Week 2 but it's a situation to keep an eye on.
- Raiders signed LT Donald Penn to a two-year, $21 million extension through 2019.
- NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Colts are planning to start QB Jacoby Brissett against the Cardinals in Week 2.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »

Truer words have never been spoken.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 08:06:58 AM »
Honestly, I've felt the overall level of play has been declining over the last decade.  Last year it was really noticeable.  And the first week this year it was terrible.  Not sure what's causing it, but I really don't think the quality is near what it used to be.

Well it depends on what you like in your football. For me I like seeing the QB stand there and get hit by fast 300 pound motherfuckers. So from my perspective, the overall level of play is mega high. I thought the game last night was great viewing and I enjoyed seeing Geno Atkins kill Watson over and over.

If you like offense, almost all of the level of play is directly linked with the quality of offensive lines in today's NFL. The combination of great defensive line play and bad offensive lines can turn great QB's into nothing more than a moving target.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
The reason the ratings are down is because a bunch of triggered pussies get mad at players sitting during the anthem. Then you have the triggered pussies who won't watch because Kap isn't on a team.

Now I'm triggered by your excessive use of the word "triggered"

Regarding ratings and quality and such, I'm remembering a conversation with a friend shortly before the season start.  The subject came up how with QBs, from the late 00s to two years ago you always heard the same four names brought up when it came to the elite core QBs of the league: Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers.  Now Peyton's gone, Brady and Brees are likely done in the next couple years and Rodgers is the only one who still could play for several more years.  From there we were having trouble trying to figure out who could be slotted up in that Tier 1 group cause any name we could think of just didn't "feel right" (for lack of another term) at all; to us the best-of-the-rest (Ben, Eli, Wilson, Ryan, etc) still feel like a Tier 2 below those remaining three, and we couldn't think of any newcomers from the last couple years who seem poised to reach that tier down the road either.

I know there's more to NFL than just the QBs but that could be a big contributing factor there

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • I AM THE MASCOT CHAMPION!
    • View Profile
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
So the Chargers game hasn't sold out yet. You can buy face value tickets off of TicketMaster.  This is was such a bad decision to move.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2017, 03:27:31 AM »
The Chiefs released CJ Spiller for the third time in 2 weeks.  Andy Reid rules.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 03:28:16 AM »
So the Chargers game hasn't sold out yet. You can buy face value tickets off of TicketMaster.  This is was such a bad decision to move.

Yeesh... Even moving to London seems like a better idea at this point.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 04:09:21 AM »
I have to complain about the statue at the new Atlanta stadium.  That's clearly not a falcon.  It's an eagle.

This is a falcon. 

Notice the pointed wings and tail.

Offline Flik

• CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 05:19:01 AM »
That is a majestic bird.

That stadium is not.

Offline Aero

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 05:27:40 AM »
Not a fan of the stadium massing itself, but the halo video/scoreboard is pretty neat.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
The Sky Anus is okay, but that statue outside fucking rules. That's the kind of shit I want in front of my house one day, with a vicious raptor seizing a flaming globe.

I gotta say, I'm jacked for Dallas going to Denver like a midseason game between 7-0 teams. It should be a hell of a game and, Allah willing, Zeke will have his jaw effectively detonate when he tries to truck Von Miller but only gets wrecked in return.

I'd like to be excited for a big primetime Packers game but I'm pretty sure we're going to lose soundly unless Rodgers decides to go full-on murder mode in which case we'll still lose but it'll be 40-39.

Regarding the defenses surging across the league, I love some hard, old school action but Houston's offensive playcalling was what made it a shitty game. The Watt hit at the end was sweet.

Hell, my favorite game last year was the 6-6 tie with the Seahawks and Cardinals! GodDAMN that was awesome beacuse neither defense would give up a TD for FIVE quarters and kept having to go back out there over and over following deflating missed field goals and... I'm gonna go watch the highlights now.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT THE BLOCKS EVERYONE ON DEFENSE PLAYED OUT OF THEIR MINDS

Offline Flik

• CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »
Did I really just see that the NFL says their bottom line would be hurt if Zeke plays and the NFLPA say "no they wouldn't".

Like what the fuck? That's the stupidest thing I've seen.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »
Sam Bradford is out with his knee injury, so the Vikes are forced to start Chase Keenum today against the Steelers.

Offline 209

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2017, 03:47:58 AM »
Panthers
Buccaneers
Steelers
Cardinals
Patriots
Ravens
Chiefs
Titans
Raiders
Dolphins
Cowboys
Seahawks
Packers
Lions

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2017, 04:00:19 AM »
Romo sounds like he's been doing commentary for ten years.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2017, 04:11:53 AM »
Romo sounds like he's been doing commentary for ten years.

Definitely like him better than Phil Simms.