Author Topic: In Which I Recommend Movies to You  (Read 90 times)

Description: An unofficial spin-off thread

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
  • Communion
    • View Profile
In Which I Recommend Movies to You
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
Inspired by 209's thread in which he reviews movies, here is one where I recommend movies to you, the reader. Why? Because I love you, that's why. Hopefully, you may or may not have seen these movies. If you have, then please feel free to talk about them. If you haven't-then I recommend that you watch said movies and tell me what you thought of them.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Blind Man tells the story of a lawyer who is bitten by a radioactive blind man

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
  • Communion
    • View Profile
Re: In Which I Recommend Movies to You
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
The first movie to get a recommendation

Movie: To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

Cast: William Peterson, Willem Dafoe, John Pankow, Debra Freur, Dean Stockwell, John Turturro, Robert Downey Sr.

Why I Recommend It: It's 80's cool personified. It's gritty but in a natural way instead of forced-the protagonists are flawed and at times plain immoral, which is fitting considering the crime ridden environment of the story. The performances-from a cast of mostly unknown actors at the time-are all excellent, especially Dafoe, who plays one of his best villain roles in this one. The neon lit cinematography is Goddamn gorgeous. Even the Wang Chung soundtrack is great.

Also, as it says, it's from the director of "The French Connection". I mention this because this movie is the perfect companion piece to that film-a world of rough anti-heroes as protagonists, a car chase to rival the one in said movie and a director at the top of his game. Oh, and it even makes the art of counter fitting money look cool.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Online LIMP KORN THE STONES

• BZ
  • My main man Damaramu is always right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Sounds like an inspiration for drive. I'm in!

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
  • Communion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
Next up in my recommendations

Movie: Cohen and Tate (1988)

Cast: Roy Scheider, Adam Baldwin

Director: Eric Red

Why I Recommend It: The directorial debut of the writer of "The Hitcher" and "Near Dark", this is the story of two hit men-one an experienced vet (Scheider) the other a young loose cannon (Baldwin) who kidnap a boy that witnessed a mob hit. However, these two are pretty mismatched-and the boy realizes it, soon trying to feed on their mutual distrust...

This is a slept on gem of a movie that manages to hold a steady building feeling of suspense, building up to the inevitable while occasionally throwing in some random explosions of violence every now and then. Also, love the ending of this movie.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
  • Communion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »

Movie: Take Shelter (2011)

Cast: Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, Shea Whigham, Katy Mixon, Katy Baker,

Director: Jeff Nichols

Why I Recommend It: Before he directed "Mud" and "Loving", Jeff Nichols gave us the tale of a man who sees images of a violent storm. As the film progresses, one begins to wonder if these are actual premonitions, or if this is a man who is losing his sanity.

The main reason to watch this is for the performances-especially Shannon and Chastain, who I feel are among the best actors working today. Shannon in particular is brilliant, perfectly capturing the state of a man who will do whatever it takes to protect his family, even if there is the possibility that nothing may be coming. In the process, is leaves the viewer encountering themes of how deep a man's love for his family, and if that love-or if love in itself-can have possible consequences. For my money, this is Nichols best movie.