Author Topic: TWIW: April 17-24  (Read 3894 times)

Description: Top Guy Hurt

• KOAB
    • View Profile
Re: TWIW: April 17-24
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
Now as far as random midcard goons and jobbers they give these pushes to on Smackdown p. quickly... the only one that seemed to have been built up "properly" after a draft or brand trade show would be Mark Henry's... and it began with Big Show destroying him.

It's why I can't really see the whining. When I look at who got it this time... Jinder could potentially do something with it. He's much younger than anyone else they've done this with and could potentially get better when given this opportunity. He's not an old broken down sack of shit who has a long line of injuries in their history getting a thank you for your service run where you know they're not going to become any better than they already were.

It's a guy who is younger than anyone else near a top of the card spot other than Seth Rollins...

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
I'm still not convinced they're actually gonna push him. I think he's just gonna go back to where he was after Orton beats him.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
Simon Gotch on his release:

“The actual story is that it happened at WrestleMania. I was sitting in catering and the chair I was in was kinda flimsy. I go to shift in it and it just collapses underneath me. Being a ham, my immediate reaction was to demand someone pin me. ‘Someone pin me quick.’ The guy who comes over, I think he works for us. I didn’t realize he was a local technician and was not a WWE technician. He was someone who worked on the set at ‘Mania. He came to help me up and I’m like, ‘Nope, you gotta pin me. C’mon, man.’ And he’s not going along with the bit. He thinks I just fell and he’s trying to help me. I see the bit’s going nowhere so I take the chair and I just kick it off to the side, drop it like a little punt and let it lay where it lands. That was it. I saw the story online, saying that I fell in the chair and made this big scene and was yelling and screaming. No part of that is accurate.”

Dude, your story ain't much better. I'm siding with the E on this one.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »
the show the 9 year old vs omega happened on (the match lasted a grand total of 3 minutes) drew 1200 people. I also found at least 7 shows just by casually looking where the blowup doll drew over 1k while wrestling either in the main event or second from the top and that was just stuff with Omega and Ibushi in it. DDT also draws 8 or 9k a couple times a year to their big blow off shows. As far as Japanese (or really any indy) companies go I'd say they have a winning formula.

Cornette did stuff when he was managing that was pretty goofy and business exposing IMO too but just like with Omega it got over and that is all that matters in the end. If the crowd pops and you get asses in the seats that's all people are going to care about.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
I'm still not convinced they're actually gonna push him. I think he's just gonna go back to where he was after Orton beats him.

Jinder MaHolly

Honestly, it's just weird because it seems the impetus for the push was "we're expanding into India" or whatever and not based on anything he actually did getting himself over in any real way. Compare this to BRAAAAUUNNNN, who has been built up since the beginning as a horror movie monster and has only received one real title shot on a random Raw that was very obviously set up to continue a pre-existing storyline.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that he doesn't come out of this looking better and maybe in a better place on the card and with some real credibility, but that kind of stuff should really happen before the big main events and not after. Not everyone is JBL, who had quite a lot of things fall into his favor to make him look somewhat legit (the most important being that at the very least his finisher was pretty much an instant win condition). I don't want the guy to fail, but I'm not liking his chances.

A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2017, 03:24:27 AM »
If I'm wrong and he succeeds, I will fully admit I'm wrong.  But I just don't see any potential in him.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:32 AM »
Has anyone actually looked at Jinder? While he may end up not passing a drug test, he looks like a star.

We can't complain that they aren't pushing new guys and when they decide to push someone new, we hate it without giving it a shot.

DTF

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 03:52:23 AM »
Has anyone actually looked at Jinder? While he may end up not passing a drug test, he looks like a star.

We can't complain that they aren't pushing new guys and when they decide to push someone new, we hate it without giving it a shot.

Word. I've always felt he's had the superstar look

Offline Just Call Me Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:34 AM »
A push out of nowhere for a few months leading to a title program is one thing.  Instant title feud only hurts the title.

• KOAB
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2017, 04:55:04 AM »
I would normally agree with you but the Bray Wyatt title run that produced the most embarrassing WWE title match in Wrestlemania history just happened.

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
I would normally agree with you but the Bray Wyatt title run that produced the most embarrassing WWE title match in Wrestlemania history just happened.

That match was awful, yes, but at least Bray has spent his time in WWE mostly protected and always considered a threat even when he would lose constantly. Jinder has never ever been seen as a threat to anyone, ever.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Online Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:25 AM »
I'd say at this point I'd almost bet Owens/Styles main events the show over Jinder/Orton.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »

Right. And we follow it up with face Randy orton vs Jinder Mahal.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
What is the problem? It's a filler feud where a newly babyface Orton goes over an up and coming midcarder. Jinder isn't winning the belt and will most likely transfer down to the US title level after this run.

DTF

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what people want. Do you want Randy Orton to make someone you like into his bitch?

Offline Empty Fossil of the New Scene

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »
The problem is that Jinder has a long and shitty pre-existing history with the company already. I don't know how I'm supposed to suddenly take a career JTTS seriously because WWE says so.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I don't think anyone's asking for him to be taken seriously, that's why they had two other people help him win.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
Well, I would say that if you're putting someone into a program for your World title then, yes, you do want people to take them somewhat seriously. Otherwise, why watch the PPV?

I mean, and not to infer that he's on the same level, but Flair had 3-4 guys helping him his entire career, so the "he had guys help him" doesn't really translate in this case.

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
Flair almost never got help in those matches.

I think they're just trying to fill time, knowing that Nakamura-Dolph and AJ-Owens will get far more attention. I think Corbin will get the title soon, but they've changed it at every PPV for a little while now. There isn't really a good alternative when it comes to picking someone Orton can beat clean at the PPV.

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
Dudes like Harper, who we like, has gotten mini title feud pushes all the time but he's also been a JTTS for a long while and no one gave a shit. Ellsworth had a real feud with Styles. What the hell is so bad about Jinder?

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
What the hell is so bad about Jinder?

He's on steroids, but most of the roster is too. He gets picked because he's popular backstage and everyone thinks he's a nice guy. I have to see if he can work before I judge him, but I liked his team up with Rusev. The way I see it, everyone gets a chance with me until they show why they shouldn't be in a spot.

Also, when they pushed Heath Slater, everyone loved that shit. All we knew he could do was talk though, just like Jinder. I don't see a difference there.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
It could be interesting to see the reaction from Orton if Jinder stiffs him like he did Baylor and Reigns.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Also, when they pushed Heath Slater, everyone loved that shit.
Correct. I demand Jinder cut a promo about how he's so wealthy he was able to buy the Bollywood Boys a set of new, better, more educated tongues and an underground pool.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »
There's a level of charisma with Heath and presence + workrate with Harper, though. And both of those guys weren't getting ME PPV programs. Jinder has always just been "there". A Val Venis type who I don't desire to see in the ME. And please don't cite Ellsworth. No one was entertained by that garbage​.

I feel like if he had stayed on SD, a heel Apollo would've been a great choice for this role.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
Pushing Jinder is fine! I don't think anyone not liking this is saying keep him where he is. A push does not equal world title program. And why does Randy have to make anyone "his bitch"?  I'd just like someone to get over first before being given that high profile of a match.

Is Rusev hurt or something?

Offline Super Leather

• View Profile
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
I suppose it depends on whether or not one is a fan of Orton in the first place. I'm not, so I prefer not seeing his lackluster matches against wrestlers I actually give a damn about. Can't think of a better opponent than Jinder in this regard.

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
Yes, Rusev is hurt. Obviously if he wasn't, he would be the heel for this spot.

And why does Randy have to make anyone "his bitch"?

He is probably going to pin Jinder either quickly, or over and over again. I would rather see Jinder in that spot than any talent I care about.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
I suppose it depends on whether or not one is a fan of Orton in the first place. I'm not, so I prefer not seeing his lackluster matches against wrestlers I actually give a damn about. Can't think of a better opponent than Jinder in this regard.

I will admit this is true.  Of course the better solution is to not let Orton have the belt in the first place.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
supposedly the plan is for AJ to job to Orton after this before Orton spends the fall feuding with CORBIN so y'all gonna be wishing Jinder was getting hindered then

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline Super Leather

• View Profile
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

I will admit this is true.  Of course the better solution is to not let Orton have the belt in the first place.

This is also true.

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
Hard to believe Orton could work all the way until the fall without getting hurt.

• KOAB
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
That's why the stiffest jobber in the company is going to work with him

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
So Orton is penciled in to carry SD through the fall? Hmm, I dunno, I feel like that'll change. Maybe they want to have him tie Cena's number of championships now that he's getting close.

What WAS Orton's longest world championship tenure? Four months maybe? I'm no archive of knowledge here but I don't think Orton's ever had a truly long run. I define that as a six month or longer reign. I know those don't happen much anymore but Orton's also been around for so long and had the belt so many times that you figure ONE of those times would be a long fucker.

Offline fazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
He's had one 6+ month reign with the belt, from early October 2007 to late April 2008

Online BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
He's had one 6+ month reign with the belt, from early October 2007 to late April 2008
Cena being hurt and out of action for half of that probably helps explain why it was so long.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »
Got to meet Mean Gene today at Chicago's Comic Convention. He seemed to act his age as his memory is kind of mixed up.    Jerry Lawler was there too but I only took his picture and didn't talk to him. Punk was at a autograph booth and I went to a AJ Lee Q and A. The creepers asking questions was the highlight. Otherwise it was largely about her bipolar issues.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
Posting here because I don't think it is going to spoil much or that anyone cares but at TNA's most recent tapings, they are trying to use elements of the Mauro/JBL stuff in their "Announcer Warz" feud...

Offline Just Call Me Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2017, 12:27:53 AM »
I wish TNA would hurry up and die so we can just get the tape library on the network and move on.

Offline 209

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »
someone plz make a picture of Batman at Kalisto's grave

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
Only works for me if Braun lifts the dumpster over his head and throws it on top of Kalisto from, say, twenty yards away. If he can flip an ambulance he can throw a dumpster. Even with sandbagging I'm shocked he didn't throw Big Show into the ceiling last week like Show was a caber and Braun was Diesel in the Raw Is War video game.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • View Profile
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
Braun throws him into a dumpster and off the stage but so hard he ends up halfway to the Earth's mantle.

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
Posted in the TNA thread that Crazzy Steve was leaving but now I am reading he may be WWE bound.  While he's under 205, I'm not sure if I could see him on 205 Live - bigger named guys go to NXT but don't see him there necessarily.  One other interesting note it he's done the good and evil clown gimmick.  Not sure if people remember the little stretch where Erick Rowan was wearing the clown sheep mask on TV in the fall.  He's been wearing that mask at house shows in the past week and popping balloons after giving them to children.  So are we getting an evil clown team on Smackdown?

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • View Profile
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
If this leads to psychotic heel Kalisto who is mad at the world because he got stuck in a goddamn dumpster match with Lloyd Braun then I'm okay with it. Like, have Braun destroy him, rip his mask off, just totally ruin him. Then he comes back to be the second strong heel for the Cruiserweights. Is this all dumb? Eh, maybe, but it can't hurt.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Lloyd Braun lmao

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
Posted in the TNA thread that Crazzy Steve was leaving but now I am reading he may be WWE bound.  While he's under 205, I'm not sure if I could see him on 205 Live - bigger named guys go to NXT but don't see him there necessarily.  One other interesting note it he's done the good and evil clown gimmick.  Not sure if people remember the little stretch where Erick Rowan was wearing the clown sheep mask on TV in the fall.  He's been wearing that mask at house shows in the past week and popping balloons after giving them to children.  So are we getting an evil clown team on Smackdown?

Isn't he legally blind or something?

Offline King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:43 AM »
Happy 40th Birthday John Cena!

Also Cena being 40 makes me feel OLD.

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2017, 04:24:50 AM »
Hearing that the original plans for Mania where Taker/Cena and Miz/Nakamura and Kevin Dunn pushed for the marriage proposal and got everything changed really bothers me. Granted, part of the storyline was Styles losing to Taker at the Rumble and then losing to...someone at the Chamber after Cena eliminated him means we would have got way more in-ring time out of Old Man Taker than was necessary, but Cena could have probably had a slightly more watchable match at Mania with Taker than Reigns did.

Losing Nakamura as a Miz opponent is also apparently what led to Miz losing the IC Title, because Bryan was going to bring Nakamura up as a surprise challenger.

Also, it allegedly took WEEKS of convincing by Dunn for Cena to go along with the marriage proposal. which means that either Cena had no real plan to do such a thing or if he did have some idea that he might eventually go back on his weird and walk down the aisle that he didn't want it to be a central storyline of a PPV (Though, I guess either way it would have always been a central storyline of an E! TV show).

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Lord Buckethead

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2017, 04:38:04 AM »
That's crazy.  Roman did all he could with Taker but I do think Cena has more experience in covering some of the weak spots.

Assuming they would've had to cut some other match to get all of that on the card - additionally, what was the plan for Roman if they did that?  Was Goldberg-Brock III still in the plans then?  Thrown in that?  Surely, the Andre Battle Royal.

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »
That's crazy.  Roman did all he could with Taker but I do think Cena has more experience in covering some of the weak spots.

Assuming they would've had to cut some other match to get all of that on the card - additionally, what was the plan for Roman if they did that?  Was Goldberg-Brock III still in the plans then?  Thrown in that?  Surely, the Andre Battle Royal.

They could have put him against BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUN

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?