Author Topic: The LOL At Nu-Metal thread  (Read 12233 times)

Description:

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
Re: The LOL At Nu-Metal thread
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2015, 04:27:29 AM »
I was reading the comments section on Stereogum (not a big fan of that site, but hey) and someone posited the question of "What was Nu Metal's Jump the Shark moment?" Personally, I don't think it's possible for there to be one. There were so many bad things in it (the shitty covers of 80's hits; Limp Bizkit's Woodstock 99 performance; Vanilla Ice putting out a Nu Metal album; the mere existence of bands like Drowning Pool and Saliva-I could go on and on really) that it's impossible for the genre to do any shark jumping-the genre itself was a big shark.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's barbeque grill and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2015, 04:37:36 AM »
Honestly, for me it was the release of "Chocolate Starfish & The Hot Dog Flavored Water". That kind of had everyone thinking "yeah, this is really kind of lame". I'm sure there are people who disagree and nu metal went on strong for another year or two after that but I think Limp Bizkit gaining more prominence and more and more bands coming up for their 5 minutes before fading to obscurity really killed everything.

Also worth noting that Korn's album "Untouchables" that came out in 2002 right when nu metal was dying wasn't very well received.

The only reason bands like Linkin Park and Papa Roach are still big today are because they tried to leach on every musical trend to come their way. Papa Roach is especially guilty of this.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2015, 05:03:44 AM »
The answer is Linkin Park.
occasionally streaming sexy things, click below for details

It gets insane, and really speaks to how dumded down we are

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2015, 07:42:05 AM »
Hybrid Theory was a fun album, but when they dropped the rap, and stripped a lot of the over-production, their sound really stopped working.  Telling Mike Shinoda to "sing" did them no favors either.

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
Jump the shark moment in my mind was when Limp Bizkit did that cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" and the video had Fred Durst making out with Halle Barry (and this was not long after Durst boasted about banging Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera). Moment had probably peaked before then but this was the moment, at least to 13 year old me, when the nu metal guys went from vaguely relatable meathead douchebags to just stereotypical rock star douchebags.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
Rivers Cuomo writing riifs for Crazy town

oh god I don't know how to handle this

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
By 2003, you couldn't really find traces of nu metal anywhere in the mainstream. So, somewhere between 2002 and 2003 is when nu metal jumped the shark.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
It's 2015 and Crazy Town just released a new album. I got nothing.

TELL ME MORE

Just saw this and nearly died laughing. I'm gonna have to check this album out.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
Rivers Cuomo writing riifs for Crazy town

oh god I don't know how to handle this
By chuckling that Rivers Cuomo was tapped to write riffs for anybody?

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »
Jump the shark moment in my mind was when Limp Bizkit did that cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" and the video had Fred Durst making out with Halle Barry (and this was not long after Durst boasted about banging Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera). Moment had probably peaked before then but this was the moment, at least to 13 year old me, when the nu metal guys went from vaguely relatable meathead douchebags to just stereotypical rock star douchebags.

Nu metal was pretty much done by 2003 which is when that god awful cover came out (it was on the soundtrack to that craptastic movie, Gothika hence why Berry was in the video). By that time, Limp Bizkit were mocked for being behind the times and were the biggest laughing stock (even more than when they were in their prime) to anyone who wasn't a WWE fan

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
I was 14 in '03 so don't blame me for being behind the times with what was cool. I was an uncool 14 year old in '03. Actually, honestly, the moment when I realized nu-metal started becoming passe is when all of the "The" bands started hitting it big in '01 (Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Vines). I think before that a lot of people were accepting nu metal as "OK. This is what's popular on rock radio right now" but once those bands came out, I think everybody realized how dumb and contrived nu metal was. Now The Strokes, Vines, and The White Stripes have their dumb side but much less so.

Also, on paper, it sounds kind of silly but I think 9/11 was a huge blow to nu metal. I think everybody realized how silly and unnecessary the genre's dumb, aggro bullshit was. Also does anyone remember the nu-metal bands being very pro War on Terror then releasing anti Bush albums/videos by the time the '04 election rolled around? I guess they were just like half of the country. At least, Aaron Lewis stuck by the NeoCons side. :)

I actually kind of like Cold's "Stupid Girl". It's basically a dumb, watered down, meathead version of a Weezer song. I definitely can see the Rivers Cuomo influence.

"Hurt You So Bad" just sounds like another Crazy Town song which makes me why they even bothered to bring Rivers Cuomo in.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2015, 11:24:39 AM »
I can definitely see the 9/11 thing. Right around that time Disturbed was releasing a video for one of their songs (can't remember which one) where David was walking down the street and buildings were falling and in flames. It was kicked off of TV for being too close to 9/11 and killed their momentum with their new album.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2015, 01:12:28 AM »
I was 14 in '03 so don't blame me for being behind the times with what was cool. I was an uncool 14 year old in '03. Actually, honestly, the moment when I realized nu-metal started becoming passe is when all of the "The" bands started hitting it big in '01 (Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Vines). I think before that a lot of people were accepting nu metal as "OK. This is what's popular on rock radio right now" but once those bands came out, I think everybody realized how dumb and contrived nu metal was. Now The Strokes, Vines, and The White Stripes have their dumb side but much less so.

Also, on paper, it sounds kind of silly but I think 9/11 was a huge blow to nu metal. I think everybody realized how silly and unnecessary the genre's dumb, aggro bullshit was. Also does anyone remember the nu-metal bands being very pro War on Terror then releasing anti Bush albums/videos by the time the '04 election rolled around? I guess they were just like half of the country. At least, Aaron Lewis stuck by the NeoCons side. :)

These are actually two great points. By the time The Strokes and The White Stripes came around, critics went nuts for them (except for the Vines, who I remember got a lukewarm reception) and the mere idea of Nu Metal seemed like a joke. Also,pretty much everything you said about 9/11 putting a big nail in it's coffin. Granted, modern Rock radio hasn't changed that much. There might not be as much Nu Metal on the airwaves today, but instead it's Nickleback and other Post-Grunge and butt rock bands. Interestingly enough, even that radio format is slowly dying. Pop music is now taken more seriously than it was ten to fifteen years ago, and Hip-Hop remains the most popular form of music. When you look at it like that, a bunch of shitty bands with frontmen that have really annoying, yarl-ey vocals is something that not a lot of people want to associate with.

Another thing to factor in is the rise of mainstream Emo and Mallcore. Sometime in the early to middle (and in some cases late) 2000's, bands like  Dasboard Confessional, My Chemical Romance and Hawthorne Heights became popular. For kids who had tired of Nu Metal outside of maybe Linkin Park, these kinds of bands were the soundtrack for the era of Livejournal (remember that?) and Myspace. To them, it was probably "You meatheads and bros can have shit like Drowning Pool and Limp Bizkit, we'll stick with this." I'm not saying it was good music (I'd rather not go back to an era in which Good Charlotte is a thing) but it probably helped play a part in Nu Metal's decline in popularity.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's barbeque grill and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2015, 03:59:55 AM »
You can trace a good portion of nu metal's demise to the internet. Oh, you like Disturbed because they have some melody and groove to their riffs? Here's Unearth, who can actually play their instruments. "Wow," the pubescent boy says, "those bands MTV play are shitty!"

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2015, 04:16:02 AM »
You can trace a good portion of nu metal's demise to the internet. Oh, you like Disturbed because they have some melody and groove to their riffs? Here's Unearth, who can actually play their instruments. "Wow," the pubescent boy says, "those bands MTV play are shitty!"
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the internet post Napster really changed things. Newer and more file sharing sites means potential exposure to other bands. Even outside of that, the internet means democratization, which means that people can find out about bands without having to go to the radio, MTV or your local Target or Best Buy. In a way, this lead to metal-both the then modern New Wave of American Heavy Metal and Metalcore*, as well as older bands not only getting attention, but Metal can now be something that people can be okay with liking again. That more and more people realized that Metal isn't just for dumb Meatheads or Misanthropic shut-ins. Times and attitudes change, and that can be a good thing in spite of what remaining fans of Nu Metal or even certain Metal purists say.

*I do find it interesting that Metalcore lead to bands like Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage. I say that because when you look at some of the earlier bands in that genre-the likes of Acme, Botch, Coalesce and Deadguy for example-couldn't be more different then what happened later.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:34 AM »
Agreed on the asterisked. It's a much easier timeline to digest when you take into account that the Boston bands were initially called melodic metalcore to separate their sound from the Karen Crisis projects and whatnot, but I can see how that sound (Gothenburg riffs with breakdowns and "rise above" themed lyrics) became so dominant.

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
Only one of these bands is nu metal but felt obligated to post this....
http://consequenceofsound.net/video/a-conversation-with-the-darkness/
The Darkness called out Disturbed in an interview and Justin Hawkins called them the "Taco Bell of Rock".

The Darkness publicly trashing Disturbed is something that would have made me really happy in 2004 but in 2015, I just scratched my head.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2015, 02:27:10 AM »
I'm not defending Disturbed but The Darkness were a pretty big joke when they broke out in the early 2000. Sure "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is a catchy tune but they were always seen as a 3rd or 4th rate Queen. Still are I'm pretty sure. The fact that they felt the need to throw shade at anybody is hilarious.

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2015, 04:21:41 AM »
Disturbed-The song "Down With the Sickness", along with several other things, really made me realize how awful Nu Metal was. Everything about that song is terrible, and the spoken word portion of the song is one of the funniest things ever. Also

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2015, 06:10:47 AM »
Disturbed is far from the worst of those bands. Flaw is right there guys. Right fucking there.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
The winner:

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
...yep. "Winner" alright.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:08 AM »
Disturbed is far from the worst of those bands. Flaw is right there guys. Right fucking there.

I listened to Flaw back in the day, early 2000s. For some reason, a couple weeks back I was thinking about them. I was surprised to see that they were still making music. Downloaded their stuff. Immediately delete it after listening for a few minutes. Just bad all around.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
I'm not defending Disturbed but The Darkness were a pretty big joke when they broke out in the early 2000. Sure "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is a catchy tune but they were always seen as a 3rd of 4th rate Queen. Still are I'm pretty sure. The fact that they felt the need to throw shade at anybody is hilarious.
Fair point. The only people who really respected The Darkness were fellow classic rock nerds like myself and even amongst them, they were pretty divisive as a lot of people (like my cousin and possibly BUTT) just assumed they were making fun of bombastic '70s arena rock. A ton of my Facebook friends are going to their show in Boston on Sunday.

Permission to Land is a real motherfucker of an album though. Way better than any of the bands mentioned ITT.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »
Bullshit. We've mentioned System of a Down at least once before talking the Darkness, and SOAD blow most bands who gained their fame between '99 and now out of the fucking water.

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »
Point taken but SOAD was really mentioned as a band that didn't belong ITT so I didn't really think of them when I made that statement.

Offline CENA ❤️ ORTON

• I WILL NEVER "PIMP"
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2016, 06:38:35 AM »
Just heard someone talking about "that Rob Zombie song 'Let the Bodies Hit the Floor'" - don't know if I should feel like they should know that or bless their happy life for not knowing any of that.

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
KoRn's new bass player is Robert Trujillo's 12 year old kid and Fred Durst, inspired by La La Land, is hosting invite only jazz nights in L.A.

NU METAL IS ALIVE AND WELL, BROTHERS!

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2017, 07:06:06 AM »
I think Trujillo's kid is only covering for Fieldy temporarily.  That's the plan at least. 

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »
I read it was because Fieldy has a "personal matter" to attend to, so it just for this little run in South America but something still creeps me out about them bringing a 12-year old on tour with them.

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
Robert Trujillo's bloodline is of greater power than all of Korn's. Were the tour to crash in a combat zone, he will crab walk them to safety.

Online King Kamala

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2017, 01:49:42 AM »
I read it was because Fieldy has a "personal matter" to attend to, so it just for this little run in South America but something still creeps me out about them bringing a 12-year old on tour with them.
Taking a 12 year old on tour in SOUTH AMERICA no less.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
The "height" of nu-metal coincides to about the time I was growing tired of what Top 40 hard rock radio was offering.  The nu-metal bands were always filler to me until a Tool, Pantera, or SOAD song or something older came on the radio and because those were few and far between during this time. It was when I started getting into Slayer and more thrash & extreme metal and by late high school (1998) and the year or so afterwards I was pretty much done with hard rock radio all together. This was also still relatively early in P2P file sharing so while discovering new music wasn't the absolute simple process it is in 2016, it was still pretty eye opening and mind-melting the way the doors to all this heavy stuff I had no prior knowledge of was now at my finger tips.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com