Author Topic: Gender Inequality in Hollywood  (Read 596 times)

Description:

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Gender Inequality in Hollywood
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:02 AM »
https://theplaylist.net/mark-wahlberg-michelle-williams-reshoot-20180109/

Amongst all the talk of the recent sexual allegations in Hollywood and with the rise of women, I thought it would also be a good idea to discuss males getting better treatment than females. I'll start with the above story that claims Mark Wahlberg was paid millions of dollars for re-shoots of "All The Money in the World" while Michelle Williams wasn't paid nearly that much.

There's also Debra Messing from this past weekend's Golden Globes who mentioned female reporters are paid less than male reporters on the E! network.

Offline angry.walls.that.steal.the.air

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: Gender Inequality in Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:56 AM »
In a wrestling context or did you mean for this to be in TV/Film?
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:28:02 AM »
Goddamnit, I meant to post this in the TV/Film folder. Please move.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
I'm a staunch feminist in the sense that I love and respect women and believe in fair and equal treatment, while also being sane and rational about it.

It's been this way in the entertainment industry forever, and almost every industry, because we have a male-driven, chauvinistic society in America....and in most of the world.  This is nothing new.

I'd like to think that the dinosaurs and the jerks will die off and we will embrace a new paradigm....but a large part of Trump's base is angry young white males, and radical Islam is super cool to some people, so who the fuck knows

I do think that there is a lot of over the top hysteria on the other side too though.  Life isn't black and white.

All that said, my two favorite shows of the last year were Handmaid's Tale and Big Little Lies, and I love films with female protags.....so if this leads to more of that, and more equal pay for actresses, good.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
https://theplaylist.net/mark-wahlberg-michelle-williams-reshoot-20180109/

Amongst all the talk of the recent sexual allegations in Hollywood, with the rise of women, I thought it would also be a good idea of males getting better treatment than females. i'll start with the above story that claims Mark Wahlberg was paid millions of dollars for re-shoots of "All The Money in the World" while Michelle Williams wasn't paid nearly that much.

There's also Debra Messing from this past weekend's Golden Globes who mentioned female reporters are paid less than male reporters on the E! network.

This seems to be a bit shady. The director said that all the people coming back for reshoots waived their fee and did it for free. If Mark decided not to, that's up to him. If Michelle Williams was only paid $80 a day, like they are saying, that's total bullshit. $80 is FAR below scale and everyone on the production could be hit with heavy fines. The $80 a day is probably her per diem for shooting on location after she agreed to do the reshoots for free. I don't buy this article.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »
I trust a guy that does payroll for these types of things.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:46:16 AM »

and radical Islam is super cool to some people, so who the fuck knows

Wut

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 02:46:37 AM »
Yeah, I'm about as feminist as they come, and it's a proven fact male actors are paid exorbitantly more than actresses, but in regards to this particular instance it seems to be more of a "Mark Wahlberg is kind of a dick" story. I mean, the other men were also paid $80 per day so it's not as if she was being singled out as a woman. I'm 100% positive if she had held out and asked for $1 million they would have acquiesced but it seems Michelle Williams is a decent human.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:33:27 AM »
every tiny thing is under a microscope now so if there's any difference in how men and women are treated people aren't going to wait for an explanation, it's just going to be reported as is. On the one hand it's a nice change from the total silence we used to have and on the other I think it leads to blaming the wrong people sometimes too.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 07:08:29 AM »
Agree with Cookie but theoretically could agree with Wahlberg too. If—and I do mean if—the reshoots prevented him from earning money during the time it took him to do his part of the reshoots, I could see his stance. If I were a contractor and had to be called back to help complete something that was not due to any issues with my performance, I could see where I would want to be compensated appropriately for my time. If I could have been getting paid elsewhere especially. Now I also know me and my stance so I personally would probably volunteer to complete the job without further compensation if I made plenty of money on the job and especially if I had more money than I would ever need from my entire body of work.

This is a business just like anything else and I can understand why someone would ask to be paid for their time.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
Agree with Cookie but theoretically could agree with Wahlberg too. If—and I do mean if—the reshoots prevented him from earning money during the time it took him to do his part of the reshoots, I could see his stance. If I were a contractor and had to be called back to help complete something that was not due to any issues with my performance, I could see where I would want to be compensated appropriately for my time. If I could have been getting paid elsewhere especially. Now I also know me and my stance so I personally would probably volunteer to complete the job without further compensation if I made plenty of money on the job and especially if I had more money than I would ever need from my entire body of work.

This is a business just like anything else and I can understand why someone would ask to be paid for their time.

He's currently filming Mile 22 and had to miss days, as both an actor and producer, to be there. I'm guessing what happened is that like everyone else he originally said he'd be there for nothing, then he started filming his new movie in the US, got called back to London to do reshoots and his people asked for compensation for the time he was going to miss.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:10 PM »
Actors have reshoots written into their contracts. The reason the $80 a day thing is going around is because that's per diem. She wasn't paid extra because she was contractually obligated to be there for reshoots. They were under no obligation to pay her, or anyone else, extra.

Where the story turns into "Mark Wahlberg is a dick" is that he had some sort of approval clause in his contract, meaning he had to approve of anyone he'd be working with. Now it's coming out that he told the studio he wouldn't sign off on working with Christopher Plummer unless he was paid $1.5 million. To me that's a jerk move because it's no one's fault that Kevin Spacey is a serial harasser. If Ridley Scott had, for some innocuous reason, decided to do reshoots at the same time with someone Wahlberg had signed off on (ie Michelle Williams) then Wahlberg woulda had to drag himself there for $80 a day per diem the same as everyone else.

I still think this story has nothing to do with the wage gap and everything to do with how some actors (and I'm sure a lot of are female) are just difficult assholes.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:45 PM »
I am just in shock we live in a world where Mark Wahlberg can demand stuff for his contract.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
He was the highest paid actor in 2017. It was his highest grossing year ever. John Cena boutta be making that Transformers money.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Actors have reshoots written into their contracts. The reason the $80 a day thing is going around is because that's per diem. She wasn't paid extra because she was contractually obligated to be there for reshoots. They were under no obligation to pay her, or anyone else, extra.

Where the story turns into "Mark Wahlberg is a dick" is that he had some sort of approval clause in his contract, meaning he had to approve of anyone he'd be working with. Now it's coming out that he told the studio he wouldn't sign off on working with Christopher Plummer unless he was paid $1.5 million. To me that's a jerk move because it's no one's fault that Kevin Spacey is a serial harasser. If Ridley Scott had, for some innocuous reason, decided to do reshoots at the same time with someone Wahlberg had signed off on (ie Michelle Williams) then Wahlberg woulda had to drag himself there for $80 a day per diem the same as everyone else.

I still think this story has nothing to do with the wage gap and everything to do with how some actors (and I'm sure a lot of are female) are just difficult assholes.

The approval clause is something that just came out, and that's really strange to have. If he didn't want to approve Plummer, either they couldn't release the movie or they would have had to reshoot the whole movie and recast his part. I know SAG-AFTRA is now looking into the whole thing, and that could be serious for the production company and everyone involved. They can be very strict and call for rules changes because of this.

He gets paid so much and can demand that stuff because the movies he makes bring in big money.

Offline Doc Scurlock

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »

The approval clause is something that just came out, and that's really strange to have. If he didn't want to approve Plummer, either they couldn't release the movie or they would have had to reshoot the whole movie and recast his part. I know SAG-AFTRA is now looking into the whole thing, and that could be serious for the production company and everyone involved. They can be very strict and call for rules changes because of this.

He gets paid so much and can demand that stuff because the movies he makes bring in big money.

Exactly this. No offense to Michelle Williams but it if you were to ask a bunch of random people to name some movies she has been in or even who she is I would probably bet you would be hard pressed to find people who know her. Wahlberg on the other hand, as big of a douche as he is, has name value and thus gets paid accordingly. I don't see how this is an argument.

It's like saying why don't WNBA players make LeBron money. I mean they all play pro basketball.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 03:52:26 AM »
Michelle Williams is oscar bait and that's what the studio pays her for. Almost everything she does is oscar worthy. She was also similarly in The Greatest Showman to just sort of make it look more award-worthy. 

I'd like to know how much Gal Gadot is getting for Wonder Woman 2 and how it compares to other superhero actor's pay. That will be a better indicator of the wage gap because that movie was huge and the potential for the next one has to be even bigger and so much of that was her portrayal. And on a similar note, I hope Patty Jenkins is getting 10 times more to direct that than whatever Zack Snyder has made for directing his shitty DC movies but I bet it's still not even close.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 04:09:43 AM »
She was paid the same amount (or within the area) that Chris Evans and many first time actors were paid. The only ones that really made much more than she did were Robert Downey Jr and Hugh Jackman. There were articles about it when WW came out because people were complaining that she wasn't paid much, even though WW made a ton of money. She was still under the original 3 movie deal, which included BVS, WW, and Justice League. For WW 2 she was able to work out a new contract, which is what the male super hero stars have done. There's nothing about the exact amount yet, but it will be a very hefty raise. Patty Jenkins will get between $7-$9 million, which is the highest salary a female filmmaker has been paid.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »
After all of this, Mark will be donating the entire amount that he made from the reshoots to #TimesUp in Michelle Williams' name.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Yeah, I knew Gal Gadot was paid modestly for the first one, that makes sense given that she'd done next to nothing in Hollywood. Good for her and Patty Jenkins, they seem nice. I've been a Jenkins fan since Monster and I'm hopeful that she uses some of her Wonder Woman money to afford to be able to do some more indies like that.

And good for Mark Wahlberg, his back was kind of against a wall, but he made the right choice. I told a friend when the Spacey shit broke that, instead of expensive reshoots, the studio should have come out and said "well this sucks" and instead of spending $10 million on reshoots, donated $5 million to RAINN or something similar. They would have looked like saints and saved money in the process. Spacey was practically wearing a rubber mask, it's not like the pain of seeing his face would be too much to bear. Anyway, people are still buying Baby Driver right? Him being in that doesn't seem to be affecting it's status at all.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
In today’s climate, they could have been vilified even if they donated $10M and kept him in it. One of those damned if you do things.

Maybe Detective Ventriloquist can confirm, but the way they handled it takes away all of Spacey’s royalties for the film, right?

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
I don't normally deal with royalty payments, but from what I've read it should. He's no longer listed as a cast member and his version of the movie isn't making money.

One of the best things about it is that Plummer keeps getting nominations for the part.

Regarding Baby Driver, I saw it for the first time about 2 weeks before the news broke. I really loved it, but it's going to be hard watching it again, especially with Spacey calling him Baby every time they are on screen together.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 01:35:50 AM »
http://deadline.com/2018/01/monique-wanda-sykes-netflix-boycott-pay-disparity-gender-bias-color-bias-1202265366/

Mo'Nique was offered 500K to do a Netflix special while Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock were offered millions and has called for a boycott of the service. Wanda Sykes chimed in and said she was only offered 250K for the same thing.

This may actually go beyond gender and is more about race as Amy Schumer was offered millions for her Netflix special too. I don't care at all for Mo'Nique and on one hand I can see her side of the story but on the other hand, Rock and Chapelle are comedy legends and Schumer has always had a huge following and did huge numbers for Netflix. It would be hard for me to recall anything Mo has done since Precious.

Offline "No gimmicks needed" Steve the Samurai

• Robert
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:07 AM »
Um...she had a talk show! And. I'm drawing a blank.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »
It could also be that they’re shitty comedians. But we’re now at the stage where everyone blames everything on inequality. They’re not getting paid less because they’re black women. They’re getting paid less because they’re not funny.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
I am for equality on all fronts.  I also do not expect to be paid the same as Michael Jordan for an appearance at a car lot.  That isn't because I am white; it's because more people want to see him.  I feel like that applies here.

Offline Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 04:31:39 AM »
http://deadline.com/2018/01/monique-wanda-sykes-netflix-boycott-pay-disparity-gender-bias-color-bias-1202265366/

Mo'Nique was offered 500K to do a Netflix special while Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock were offered millions and has called for a boycott of the service. Wanda Sykes chimed in and said she was only offered 250K for the same thing.

This may actually go beyond gender and is more about race as Amy Schumer was offered millions for her Netflix special too. iIdon't care at all for Mo'Nique and on one hand I can see her side of the story but on the other hand, Rock and Chapelle are comedy legends and Schumer has always had a huge following and did huge numbers for Netflix. It would be hard for me to recall anything Mo has done since Precious.

Yeah that isn't about race, they don't have the same fame or fanbase. Mo'Nique is an idiot.