Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Wrestling / Re: WWE Summerslam 2018: Paul Heyman Speaks 15 Languages!
« Last post by Damaramu on August 16, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Not to mention he's said before that Vince pays him and he does whatever Vince says.
Plus judging by how he didn't want to do a thing against Dean to avoid getting hurt I doubt he'll want to do much here either.
Sports / Re: CXF Fantasy Football '18 - Kotz, Edwin, Krankor, Steak, OG, Hawk, Flagg
« Last post by Edwin on August 16, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »
I’ll take the very biggest of big boys: Kelvin Benjamin
TV/Film & Literature / Re: In Which I Review Movies
« Last post by Saddam of the 909 on August 16, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »

Brick (2005), directed by Rian Johnson

In the case of Brick, we have another film I have been told to watch for ages that I didn't get around to seeing until just now. I didn't quite understand what the premise of this film was, my initial thoughts were that this was going to be a high school version of Blow. Talk about being wrong, there's no way to really describe how wrong I was. The dialogue in this film isn't quite unique, but you'd have to go back a really long time to hear dialogue like this. At least, I think that's the case because I haven't heard dialogue like this outside of a 1930's setting in ages. This movie is obviously inspired by things that came long ago, that have nothing to do with the film's setting in Southern California. In watching this, I understand why such a film didn't have a larger audience. A lot of people cannot handle how weird the way a film like Brick plays out. It is a film that is obviously being watched outside of a period where everyone hyped it, so I do benefit from that. I should say that a film like that can sometimes wind up feeling dated. What's more is that Rian Johnson directed this in a time before everyone started getting angry and whiny about what he made the last Star Wars film be, but I am usually not careful with criticism nor do I care how things actually sound.

Brick is a film that plays so hard on nostalgic feelings that at time it can be ridiculous. Brendan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a high school student who is quite lonely, he has also done bad things. He betrayed his friend, his girlfriend Emily (Emilie de Ravin) broke up with him, and yeah, that's high school life. It blows. Brendan receives a note to go to a payphone, which he does, and that leads to Emily begging him for help. She says things on the phone call that sound unimportant, but later on they definitely are. As Brendan's on the phone, a black Mustang drives by and someone tosses their cigarette out the window. Brendan has a friend, Brain (Matt O'Leary), who provides him with information throughout the film, and Brain tells him that he should make his way around the school. He talks to Kara (Meagan Good), someone who is seemingly in drama club, then goes to a Halloween party attended by Laura (Nora Zehetner), and her boyfriend Brad, who gets punched in the face later in the movie. This is only part of our introductory period to these characters, there was even more to come.

After the party, Brendan is sent to a diner, where he meets a stoner named Dode (Noah Segan). Dode seems to have his own little crew of dope heads, and Emily is part of his group, but she's not there. Emily and Brendan eventually run into each other, and Brendan steals her notepad. Did I tell you that there are other characters? I better do that first. The Pin (Lukas Haas) is a local drug kingpin of some kind, and Brad is one of his customers. Tug (Noah Fleiss) is his muscle, he gets shit done around our unnamed town. If you haven't figured it out yet, Brendan is our detective. All detectives have a leash. Surprisingly, there's an assistant vice principal, Trueman (Richard Roundtree). Trueman tells the audience that Brendan ratted out his friend in the first place, and Trueman allows Brendan to investigate some of the events, although Brendan isn't exactly truthful in telling Trueman all of them. Now, back to what I was going to say. After Brendan steals Emily's notepad, he finds a note, and subsequently, finds Emily dead. At the beginning of the film, as a little hook to make sure you don't check out, you see Emily dead in the first place. The twenty minutes after that provide an introduction to these characters, as well as get people interested in how a girl could wind up dead in a tunnel.

This film has massive strengths, and it does have weaknesses as well, but let's talk about those strengths. Firstly, it was an excellent decision to start the film with Brendan discovering Emily. This is a complicated film, one where pretty much everything in it matters (which is both good and bad), and the dialogue is super similar or identical to material from the 30's and 40's. It would have been impossible to keep up with these events without knowing there was some kind of payoff. I was genuinely struggling at times and not understanding why things were structured this way. I still don't entirely understand the structure of the dialogue, but it's definitely a way for a first time filmmaker to be noticed. Admittedly, I don't know about these old movies or novels, so I'm not going to comment on how much I loved that it reminded me of that stuff, because I have no attachment to it. However, I thought it had some charm. It goes overboard at times, but it makes the film unique. The story isn't fantastic, but it holds together nicely and maintains my interest.

There isn't anything that stands out as being particularly great nor particularly awful, which is a strange achievement for a film like this which was created on a super low budget. The characters admittedly are impossible to relate to, they are caricatures of characters from an era long gone by. Our lead detective is also a bit of a geek, and I've always liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but he played a dweeb here. This is a good mystery, but I'm not entirely sure teen culture from my age dovetailed with that. It was particularly interesting for me to watch this film knowing that it took place when I was in high school. The movies I've watched recently that pertain to teenagers of a certain era don't exactly coincide with my own era. The kids I see in these films are slightly foreign to me. The ones here are not, because I remember there being a lot of people who looked like this when I was in school, but the things they said were just so different and strange.

This is a pretty good film, even with the caveat that nothing truly stands out one way or the other, but that's fine considering that oftentimes I don't want anything to stand out like that. I would prefer to sit down, watch something, think it was a good time, and leave it at that. Brick is one of these films. The movie is so dorky, and even though I think Richard Roundtree was misused here, I can give that a bit of a pass. To make a film like this on such a limited budget is quite an achievement, and it's no wonder Johnson would be given the opportunity to make Star Wars movies. Most of the internet complained about the last one, but I thought it was quite good and am looking forward to his spin on a trilogy. Obviously, it won't be a mystery about heroin and murder, but it should be interesting. As to how that relates to Brick, it probably doesn't, but it seems we have a filmmaker who knows how to take rote concepts and put his own spin on them. Clearly that doesn't make everyone happy. There,  I found a way to relate the two films. That's the benefit of waiting to watch something, but I think I may have liked this more had I seen it sooner.

7.5/10
« Last post by NYU on August 16, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »
Why wouldn’t he lose in a two minute squash? He did it at Survivor Series against Goldberg two years ago.

Considering most of his matches struggle to even reach 10 minutes, I get the sense Brock would love the idea of getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to wrestle for a minute or two.
« Last post by cobainwasmurdered on August 16, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
Brock for sure will want to protect his image. He isn't going to let himself look bad like that even in a work. He knows he more than likely will also do business with WWE again some day.
« Last post by HSJ on August 16, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
Reigns should go over but he won't because Vince is schizophrenic.

Bliss will cheat to win or get DQ'ed.

I don't think there will be a cash in.

Dean's going to turn on Seth.

So what will be redeeming on the show because that all sounds awful.

They were talking about it on WOR the other day. If Brock really is going why not just put the match near the top or in the middle of the show, send Roman out and have him beat the fuck out of Brock and pin him in 2 minutes.

It'll keep the match so short that the fans won't have a chance to turn on it and WWE fans love it when someone acts like a badass and there's nothing more badass than annihilating Brock Lesnar.

Because Brock Lesnar is about to go fight for the UFC Heavyweight Title and isn't going to agree to being squashed in two minutes?

I highly doubt Brock gives a damn as long as he's not in danger of getting hurt and as long as the money shows up in his account.

I highly doubt Brock doesn't think highly of himself and his persona.
Wrestling / Re: ALL IN: 9/1/2018, Sears Centre Arena
« Last post by Damaramu on August 16, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
Also I am pretty sure most of the names yet to come are people that are already booked at Starrcast.

I'm kind of annoyed Tessa Blanchard is in a 4 way. WWE has really made me hate multi-man matches. I would rather see her against the best female they have on the card or have her in an intergender match (no I don't want to debate if intergender matches are good or bad).
« Last post by Damaramu on August 16, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Maybe we're still gonna get that? They only announced like, what, 5 names for the battle royal?

I think we're at 7 or 8 now.
« Last post by Epic Reine on August 16, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »
Maybe we're still gonna get that? They only announced like, what, 5 names for the battle royal?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10