Author Topic: MMA General Discussion 2017  (Read 4951 times)

Description:

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Re: MMA General Discussion 2017
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2018, 05:06:00 AM »
His ability to get back up is p. awesome too. I think he would lose his neck trying that with Werdum though.

BUT THAT'S WHY I GOTTA SEE THAT FIGHT

if i stop posting, you know they got me

Offline Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:29 AM »
I gotta see black on black violence first please. I have no idea what would happen in that one.

Derrick Lewis is a VERY happy man after getting the W at UFC Fight Night in Austin -- 'cause he won ... but mostly 'cause his wife says she's ending his booty ban!!

The bad news -- we talked to Derrick and April the day after the fight ... and they told us he's too injured to get it on.

"The ban is over. I've been trying to get him all day, but he's tired," April told TMZ Sports.

"I don't got it in me, man -- I'm hurtin' ... I can't put in a half-assed performance, lay there like a starfish," Derrick added.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/02/20/ufc-derrick-lewis-sex-ban-over/

National hero this guy

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:27 AM »
I want Conor McGregor level hype from the UFC on Black Beast.

DTF

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2018, 05:04:52 AM »
I would do Lewis against the loser of Volkov/Werdum and Ngannou against the winner depending on the outcome of Cormier/Stipe. If DC gets past Stipe and Werdum wins his fight I would love to see him be DC's first challenge, it would be a fantastic fight from a stylistic point of view plus the added storyline of DC getting revenge for Cain.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »

oh man

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #455 on: March 01, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/column-school-shooting-reminds-father/story?id=53401396

Alexey Oleynik wrote this column, as his daughter is a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas. She was unharmed, but he writes of his experience as a parent during that situation.

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
Newest monthly column for the site.  MMA, boxing, kickboxing, upcoming fights, ongoing FOTY list, grammatical errors, etc.

http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/ringside-seats-march-2018/

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #457 on: March 03, 2018, 03:49:32 AM »
Cerrone's cowboy accent is also a work btw, I knew that from the start because I saw him on the Tapout show in 2007 and he didn't have it.

https://youtu.be/ngz2SoGsBnc?t=13m47s

I timestamped it to when he starts talking at 13:47. There's a slight Colorado twang, but nothing close to the way he talks now. Another thing worth noting, his striking is what it is because of Duane Ludwig, and he stopped improving once he stopped working with him and went to Jackson's.

McGregor also didn't grow up 'hard', he was just another middle class kid who got into fights at clubs. Just accept the pro wrestling gimmickry imo

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #458 on: March 03, 2018, 04:17:16 AM »
I highly recommend watching that whole episode at some point btw, no spillers but man that was when MMA was in its prime and it's a great doc on behind-the-scenes stuff. More insight about Cowboy's personality here than in all the UFC-packaged hype interviews they've put out. Then the actual fight itself with the corner audio is one of the best non-UFC fights you'll ever see between two top prospects at the time who eventually made it to the UFC.

The US Army and Coors Light logos on the mat boggled my mind, sponsorship isn't even close to that now.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #459 on: March 03, 2018, 04:20:08 AM »
“You know who I’ve been working with who I really like? I didn’t even know him when he walked in. This Japanese kid, Ulka Sasaki," Longo said. “I gotta tell you, I really bonded with him.”

And that bond is paying off in big ways as Ulka adds more stand-up aspects to go with his already slick ground game, which is something Longo is excited to see come April 21 at UFC Fight Night 128 in Atlantic City.

Damn I've been paying attention to this Sasaki for a while, they put him through a murderer's row in his first few fights, but he still managed to pull off some good wins. At his age if he's improving with the based Longo, he might become the next hope for Japanese MMA.

« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »
I don't know about "good" wins. Delorme and Gates aren't in the UFC anymore and the Scoggins win was more indicative of Justin being a moron with fight IQ then Sasaki's skill level. People were hyping Ishihara up big time and he's pretty much flamed out too. I think the desire for a new hope for JMMA is inflating opinions.

Meanwhile Kyoji Gucci Mane has looked like a million bucks since the UFC made the ridiculous decision to not renew his contract and they probably will never re-sign him.

• Admin
« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2018, 04:53:05 AM »
Mike Perry left his gf and camp. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can improve.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:52 AM »
Mike unfortunately has a wondering eye and this time it wondered too far and I couldn’t accept anymore. No physical cheating happened but enough was said that I hit a limit I couldn’t return from. I am not mad.

so much 'lol' in there I'm not gonna bother breaking it down.

« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2018, 05:48:40 AM »
Somebody tell Jeremy Stephens that his moment to smesh has arrived.

• KOAB
« Reply #464 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
Mike unfortunately has a wondering eye and this time it wondered too far and I couldn’t accept anymore. No physical cheating happened but enough was said that I hit a limit I couldn’t return from. I am not mad.

so much 'lol' in there I'm not gonna bother breaking it down.

Its not over a woman, its Mike wanting an actual coach.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #465 on: March 09, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »

« Reply #466 on: March 15, 2018, 06:46:16 AM »
Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)

Heavyweight Fabrício Werdum vs. Alexander Volkov     
Light Heavyweight Jimi Manuwa vs. Jan Błachowicz     
Bantamweight Tom Duquesnoy vs. Terrion Ware     
Welterweight Leon Edwards vs. Peter Sobotta     

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)

Middleweight John Phillips vs. Charles Byrd     
Welterweight Danny Roberts vs. Oliver Enkamp     
Welterweight Jack Marshman vs. Brad Scott     
Featherweight Danny Henry vs. Hakeem Dawodu     
Light Heavyweight Paul Craig vs. Magomed Ankalaev     
Lightweight Kajan Johnson vs. Stevie Ray     
Heavyweight Mark Godbeer vs. Dmitriy Sosnovskiy     
Lightweight Nasrat Haqparast vs. Nad Narimani

Saturday's card. Kinda weird that the potential #1 contender at HW will come off a fight on a FP card in the UK.

But hey, debut of MEAN HAKEEM. Dude is about to join the names of Zabit and Volkanovski as the hot thang at 145.

• Admin
« Reply #467 on: March 17, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
VOLKOV IS LEGIT

• Admin
« Reply #468 on: March 17, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
Also, I remember people saying Manuwa could beat DC but he can't even stop a takedown by Blachowicz.

« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Paul Craig with the comeback of a goddamn lifetime in that fight. I can't believe a badass from Dagestan insta-tapped to a triangle with one fucking second left in the fight.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #470 on: March 20, 2018, 04:48:55 AM »
I was looking up what happened to some old fighters and thought about that guy Goran Reljic:

He made his debut in a bare knuckle boxing becoming UBBADA world light heavyweight champion at BKB 7 event in Liverpool on September 9, 2017, defeating Ricky Nelder via unanimous decision. [8]

On next event he defended title against Jimmy McCrory on November 4, 2017. Fight was declared no contest because McCrory's jaw appears to be broken after a clash of heads.[9]

I didn't even know this was a thing, but then I looked at his next title defence:

2018-03-24      United States Phil Baroni   BKB, Liverpool   N/A   N/A   N/A   Defending UBBADA World Light Heavyweight Championship.

BAH GAWD YOU BETTER BELIEVE IM GONNA WATCH AND CHEER FOR THE ORIGINAL NEW YORK BADASS

« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2018, 06:31:58 AM »
The promo he cut on Minowa before their rematch at the PRIDE card is still the GOAT.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #472 on: March 22, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »
“Half of his fights were only two-round fights. These weren’t sanctioned three-round fights. His conditioning hasn’t even been tested yet. You want to go into deep waters, son, you’re going to fight the kraken. I’m no longer a hammerhead, I’m the [expletive] kraken. I’m the guy that’s going to have the longest limbs, I’m going to ankle-pick you, I’m going to put you on your back, I’m going to spin you around like a turtle and I’m going to go knee-on-belly and I’m going to give you one chance with my arm around your neck and I’m going to look at like you like a wolverine. ‘Cause I am a Michigan wolverine and a California grizzly, now when you have those two, you have an El Cucuy. I’m straight up going to put rocks in his face and he’s going to have a hard time to accept that loss, that’s for damn sure.”

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #473 on: March 29, 2018, 03:29:56 AM »
https://streamable.com/6kzns

This is actually p. funny.

• Admin
« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
Gaethje took the coveted CTE Title away from Diego tonight.

« Reply #475 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »
Holy shit what a fucking war. Poirier/Eddie II for #1 contender if Tony is going to be on the shelf for a while.

« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2018, 04:28:24 AM »
Because it's not weigh-in day if shit doesn't go south for the UFC two fights are off the card tomorrow night. Magomed Bibulatov has an injured back and has pulled out of his fight with Ulka Sasaki which blows because it was probably my #3 most anticipated fight outside of the main and co-main.

Also, Aspen Ladd came in 1.8 lbs over and Leslie "I'm making no money and the UFC hates me because I'm pro-union" Smith has decided that now is the time to take a moral stance and is refusing to fight Ladd. SMDH.

Oh and Kevin Lee came in two pounds heavy for the main event but it's still happening. 20% of his purse goes to Barboza.

• Admin
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
Barboza is gonna work Kevin Lee, I'm convinced. It's not like Kevin is a Khabib type wrestler, he's just decent with a good top game. If he can't take someone down like in the first round against Trinaldo, he's gonna take a complete beatdown like he did there.

• KOAB
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
8 fighters so far have come in overweight this year. 4 have had their fights cancelled. The other 4 have won their fights.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Barboza is gonna work Kevin Lee, I'm convinced. It's not like Kevin is a Khabib type wrestler, he's just decent with a good top game. If he can't take someone down like in the first round against Trinaldo, he's gonna take a complete beatdown like he did there.

I hope so. If barboza wins, I win $100.

DTF

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
The biggest fuck job ending on that third prelim. Guy doesn’t tap. Ref decides he’s done after the third round ends. Fuck that.

• Admin
« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
The biggest fuck job ending on that third prelim. Guy doesn’t tap. Ref decides he’s done after the third round ends. Fuck that.

That's actually the rule. If unconscious the fight can be stopped at any time including the end of the third round.

Offline Youth N Asia

• Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »

That's actually the rule. If unconscious the fight can be stopped at any time including the end of the third round.

Right or not I guess I just don’t like it. Guy was flailing until the last possible second.

RIP Jim Miller

• KOAB
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
Poor Barboza

I can't wait for Lee/Khabib to become the next fight that will never happen.

• Admin
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Toughest guy I have ever seen.

Offline Youth N Asia

• Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
Shame that Lee’s star making performance came with missing weight. He looked great tonight. Edson can take a beating. Hard not to root for that guy.

And always happy to see Frankie in the win column.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2018, 05:42:02 AM »
Varner>Khabib and Lee

« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »
I don't think I'm the only one thinking this as it was echoed online elsewhere but holy shit what a disappointing performance from Cub. Just looked off both physically and mentally, didn't seem to want to be in there at all. Having said that given what he's been through lately it was tough to not feel happy for Frankie.

Also I am completely 100% ok with Jim Miller never fighting again. He's a warrior and one of the best fighters to never hold a belt, always a class act but it's not fun watching him fight anymore. And on that note how the fuck did Hooker not bank a POTN for that one?

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #488 on: Today at 06:21:21 AM »

Right or not I guess I just don’t like it. Guy was flailing until the last possible second.

Yeah, late to the game but this was bullshit.  Dvalishvili was literally pedaling the Tour de France at the end of the fight, not sure how you could say he was out.  The closest I came to seeing him out was at the initial DDT.  He can't be allowed to recover after a hard ass fight and sitting in a choke for 45 seconds?  Romero sat on his stool for more time than that.