Author Topic: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit on YouTube  (Read 882 times)

Description:

cheex incarnate and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
Re: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit on YouTube
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
I got my very first wrestling snob reaction when I told goodhelmet I had it. Gave to my sister who wanted to be a fan, but the late '90s weren't great for female characters or workers, and she loved Kudo/Toyoda so much. Watched the Cactus/Kanemura match the other night, and it didn't age nearly as well. I love Kudo/Toyoda because that was the biggest match feel I think a deathmatch can have. But that said Foley doing stupid shit and Kanemura just being able to get juice by looking into the wind is about as FMW as it gets.

The Hayabusa/Masato Tanaka vs Mr Pogo/Terry Funk I remember liking once, but that might be rose-colored glasses given how much I like three if those for in general.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:45 AM »
As a person currently having spinal/headache issues, watching a lot of the Kawada/Misawa/Kobashi matches isn't as fun. Fucking awesome, sure, but not as fun.

Stan Hansen and Carlos Colon beating the shit out of each other, though, is a blast.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

This is a little unfair.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »
In an effort to find a worse match than Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks, I found clips of Inoki in a handicap match against the McGuire Twins (aka those morbidly obese twins best known for the photo of them riding motorcycles). It wins.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
So much of the Stampede stuff reminds me of ECW, in a good way, but everything is ridiculously clipped. "We join you twenty minutes in" is bullshit.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
Ultimo Dragon never really did it for me. I know he's amazing, but I never got excited to see him unless his opponent was someone I dug.

Speaking of, I forgot how much I enjoy Otani. He still going?

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
One of the major things I've found myself loving in regards to the NWA and WCW shows is that they had matches end out of nowhere with a non-finishing move. The idea that someone could lose at any time to anything is a big part of what's missing nowadays.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 12:16:07 PM »
Agreed on that last post. Part of the reason I love ICW so much (and why Defiant is growing on me) is that finishes aren't always built around move exchanges. I feel like an entire generation of talent saw Bryan doing suplexes and dives and forget that one of his biggest moves was an inside cradle.
occasionally streaming sexy things, click below for details

It gets insane, and really speaks to how dumded down we are

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
I frankly watched this on various meds the other night and remember nothing, so I went back.

1.) Backlund looks incredibly in shape. If the date (11/23/98) is right, I wouldn't have minded Corporate Crazy Bob Backlund fighting Austin somewhere.

2.) This is weird and I don't know what to think beyond Sasuke not giving a fuck and being exposed.

3.) BattleArts worth investigating further? I feel like this isn't the best introduction, but I've thought that about a LOT of stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
Agreed on that last post. Part of the reason I love ICW so much (and why Defiant is growing on me) is that finishes aren't always built around move exchanges. I feel like an entire generation of talent saw Bryan doing suplexes and dives and forget that one of his biggest moves was an inside cradle.

I haven't gotten to much modern stuff, not yet anyway. Got a good match for some introduction?

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Comments, just because I loved TNA back in the day and might've seen this:

--This is the sort of random shit I loved/hated about TNA back in the day. Hawk looks at death's door, as you'd expect. Animal is wearing the "hide my gut" tights and it looks so depressing. Dusty looks like Dusty. Jarrett looks like Jarrett.

--Jarrett's like Orton, in my mind, where he's more entertaining as a heel but a better worker as a face. Together it leads to total mediocrity.

--Based solely on them being LOD, they sell anything from anyone on the other side, it's all over. As I write that Elix Skipper and Low Ki take out Animal. Best shit. Then Hawk sells for Elix! What the hell. Bounces back, but they shouldn't be leaving their feet, especially in 2003.

--If Russo were six or so inches smaller, he'd have been a decent manager. Him trying to second a Low Ki or Daniels makes everyone look weird.

--I watched Omega/Okada right before this. Maybe I should let that settle instead. Those dudes didn't have spikes and crippling addiction problems, though.

--Some stip about SEX booking their next show for every title but whatever. Put everything on Triple X just on principle.

--I could watch Christopher Daniels do anything. He, along with Joey Ryan and the Bucks and several others, are good friends of a friend of mine. Hung out after PWG shows. It's totally unfair.

--Hot tag to Dusty and everyone runs into his elbow except Russo who hasn't done anything.

--OHHHH this is the Random Guys Dressed As Mr. Wrestling and/or The Bullet angle. Who we got this time? NIKITA KOLOFF?!? I don't remember that! Retroactively got me, Vinny.

The TNA matches are going to be fun.

Offline Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Today at 06:47:18 AM »

I haven't gotten to much modern stuff, not yet anyway. Got a good match for some introduction?
Ehhhh...I won't lie and say that ICW puts on great matches. They don't. I'd say half their core roster is pretty lousy, actually. The booking and overall feel, though, makes up for it.

Here's a promo package for one of the main matches at Fear & Loathing (their biggest show) a couple years back. It's what made me check more of their stuff out and then subscribe to their VOD service.
occasionally streaming sexy things, click below for details

It gets insane, and really speaks to how dumded down we are

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Today at 07:54:15 AM »
--Jarrett's like Orton, in my mind, where he's more entertaining as a heel but a better worker as a face. Together it leads to total mediocrity.

That's an excellent point that I never thought of until you said it

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

My Half.com Store - Get Your Movies, Games and Music on the Cheap!

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:11:42 AM »
They're weird bookends the more I think about it. Second/third generation "chosen ones" who got pushed past their abilities a lot of the time but eventually hit a groove of Just Okay.

Offline The Valeyard

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Today at 09:14:02 AM »

Ehhhh...I won't lie and say that ICW puts on great matches. They don't. I'd say half their core roster is pretty lousy, actually. The booking and overall feel, though, makes up for it.

Here's a promo package for one of the main matches at Fear & Loathing (their biggest show) a couple years back. It's what made me check more of their stuff out and then subscribe to their VOD service.

I'll give it a look, probably. To be honest I just gotta be in the right mood for a lot of that stuff.