Author Topic: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit  (Read 3366 times)

Description:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?
Re: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit on YouTube
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
I got my very first wrestling snob reaction when I told goodhelmet I had it. Gave to my sister who wanted to be a fan, but the late '90s weren't great for female characters or workers, and she loved Kudo/Toyoda so much. Watched the Cactus/Kanemura match the other night, and it didn't age nearly as well. I love Kudo/Toyoda because that was the biggest match feel I think a deathmatch can have. But that said Foley doing stupid shit and Kanemura just being able to get juice by looking into the wind is about as FMW as it gets.

The Hayabusa/Masato Tanaka vs Mr Pogo/Terry Funk I remember liking once, but that might be rose-colored glasses given how much I like three if those for in general.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:45 AM »
As a person currently having spinal/headache issues, watching a lot of the Kawada/Misawa/Kobashi matches isn't as fun. Fucking awesome, sure, but not as fun.

Stan Hansen and Carlos Colon beating the shit out of each other, though, is a blast.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

This is a little unfair.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »
In an effort to find a worse match than Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks, I found clips of Inoki in a handicap match against the McGuire Twins (aka those morbidly obese twins best known for the photo of them riding motorcycles). It wins.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
So much of the Stampede stuff reminds me of ECW, in a good way, but everything is ridiculously clipped. "We join you twenty minutes in" is bullshit.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
Ultimo Dragon never really did it for me. I know he's amazing, but I never got excited to see him unless his opponent was someone I dug.

Speaking of, I forgot how much I enjoy Otani. He still going?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
One of the major things I've found myself loving in regards to the NWA and WCW shows is that they had matches end out of nowhere with a non-finishing move. The idea that someone could lose at any time to anything is a big part of what's missing nowadays.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 12:16:07 PM »
Agreed on that last post. Part of the reason I love ICW so much (and why Defiant is growing on me) is that finishes aren't always built around move exchanges. I feel like an entire generation of talent saw Bryan doing suplexes and dives and forget that one of his biggest moves was an inside cradle.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
I frankly watched this on various meds the other night and remember nothing, so I went back.

1.) Backlund looks incredibly in shape. If the date (11/23/98) is right, I wouldn't have minded Corporate Crazy Bob Backlund fighting Austin somewhere.

2.) This is weird and I don't know what to think beyond Sasuke not giving a fuck and being exposed.

3.) BattleArts worth investigating further? I feel like this isn't the best introduction, but I've thought that about a LOT of stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
Agreed on that last post. Part of the reason I love ICW so much (and why Defiant is growing on me) is that finishes aren't always built around move exchanges. I feel like an entire generation of talent saw Bryan doing suplexes and dives and forget that one of his biggest moves was an inside cradle.

I haven't gotten to much modern stuff, not yet anyway. Got a good match for some introduction?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Comments, just because I loved TNA back in the day and might've seen this:

--This is the sort of random shit I loved/hated about TNA back in the day. Hawk looks at death's door, as you'd expect. Animal is wearing the "hide my gut" tights and it looks so depressing. Dusty looks like Dusty. Jarrett looks like Jarrett.

--Jarrett's like Orton, in my mind, where he's more entertaining as a heel but a better worker as a face. Together it leads to total mediocrity.

--Based solely on them being LOD, they sell anything from anyone on the other side, it's all over. As I write that Elix Skipper and Low Ki take out Animal. Best shit. Then Hawk sells for Elix! What the hell. Bounces back, but they shouldn't be leaving their feet, especially in 2003.

--If Russo were six or so inches smaller, he'd have been a decent manager. Him trying to second a Low Ki or Daniels makes everyone look weird.

--I watched Omega/Okada right before this. Maybe I should let that settle instead. Those dudes didn't have spikes and crippling addiction problems, though.

--Some stip about SEX booking their next show for every title but whatever. Put everything on Triple X just on principle.

--I could watch Christopher Daniels do anything. He, along with Joey Ryan and the Bucks and several others, are good friends of a friend of mine. Hung out after PWG shows. It's totally unfair.

--Hot tag to Dusty and everyone runs into his elbow except Russo who hasn't done anything.

--OHHHH this is the Random Guys Dressed As Mr. Wrestling and/or The Bullet angle. Who we got this time? NIKITA KOLOFF?!? I don't remember that! Retroactively got me, Vinny.

The TNA matches are going to be fun.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:18 AM »

I haven't gotten to much modern stuff, not yet anyway. Got a good match for some introduction?
Ehhhh...I won't lie and say that ICW puts on great matches. They don't. I'd say half their core roster is pretty lousy, actually. The booking and overall feel, though, makes up for it.

Here's a promo package for one of the main matches at Fear & Loathing (their biggest show) a couple years back. It's what made me check more of their stuff out and then subscribe to their VOD service.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
--Jarrett's like Orton, in my mind, where he's more entertaining as a heel but a better worker as a face. Together it leads to total mediocrity.

That's an excellent point that I never thought of until you said it
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
They're weird bookends the more I think about it. Second/third generation "chosen ones" who got pushed past their abilities a lot of the time but eventually hit a groove of Just Okay.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »

Ehhhh...I won't lie and say that ICW puts on great matches. They don't. I'd say half their core roster is pretty lousy, actually. The booking and overall feel, though, makes up for it.

Here's a promo package for one of the main matches at Fear & Loathing (their biggest show) a couple years back. It's what made me check more of their stuff out and then subscribe to their VOD service.

I'll give it a look, probably. To be honest I just gotta be in the right mood for a lot of that stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »

So I had YouTube on in the background while I was doing stuff (it's usually music), and caught enough of this to be interested. Zero-One MAX was a promotion I remember hearing some decent buzz about years and years ago, and a lot of guys I really liked (Otani, Masato Tanaka, Corino, etc) worked it.

--I like Kensuke Sasaki. I really do, as unpopular as it might be. That being said, I don't think he's the flaw in this match.

--Super Face Otani is weird and wrong somehow. It's like a totally different guy, and I know ten years is a long time, but the difference feels vast compared to Low-Key Expressionless Dismantler Otani of the old days. That guy at least could sell a fucking leg for 15 goddamn minutes. That kind of thing usually never bugs me unless it's crazy blatant, like this is.

--I LOVE the look of the show. Bright colors and flashbulbs and fans who seem to enjoy being there instead of being there to try and get people to enjoy them.

I gotta say, as ridiculous as wrestling is, it's fun going through the years and locations and all that stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »

More specifically BG James/Syxx Pac/Hennig vs Jarrett/Truth/Brian Lawler. Main event anywhere in the world.

--Truth was the fucking man for a while. It's forgotten after all these years but Truth was literally seen as the future. First guy in forever to deserve the NWA title and give it a little credibility.

--Hennig would be dead in like three months. Maybe it's my failing memory but he looked much better during his last WWF run than here, and it'd been less than six months. His face has a gut. He's game, but man, the spirit's willing but the flesh is weak. All that said I can't say he wasn't a get for TNA in the early days, and his tights rule here.

--Waltman still had it. Weird seeing a crowd into him, but then I'm not sure how much of the crowd is legit. My memories of the Asylum crowd, though, was when Jingus or whoever would go every week and bring TSM-related signs. Anyone else remember that?

--Fucking Brian Lawler is the weakest guy there, or at least neck-and-neck with fat Road Dogg. Him being in the main event is literally a case of taking someone's spot. I have no idea who could've filled that spot, but their roster had to have someone they could elevate or at least rely on enough to not be fucking Brian Lawler.

--Road Dog looks awful, yeah, but I'm more annoyed at the stupid bleached hair and stupid goatee thing. Dude can be a bowling-pin looking rider of the past all he wants, but was 2002 still doing that shit?

--And more Mr. Wrestling Hooded Gimmick. I just always assume people in masks are Jack Victory so hey.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »

GREATEST THING TNA EVER DID.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »

The Nigerian Legend himself, Power Uti. I remember him from Foley's first book and from (I think) a Cliff Compton interview. Wanted to see him for years, just because. I have no idea what the fuck I'm looking at. It isn't the shitty quality but how it's shot. The hard camera feels on the wrong side, to put it lightly. I'll also say the ring looks CRAZY unsafe.

So basically Uti just says "fuck it" and won't sell anything while Gallows winds up selling everything like a shotgun blast (and tripping on a stomp, which I'm blaming on the ring). But Uti, old and smaller, won't give Gallows ANYTHING. He won't even get thrown out of the ring; best stop is Gallows trying to toss him through the ropes but Uti just slowly and calmly crawling out and standing up, waiting for the next spot.

I get the feeling this Uti is kind of a douchebag.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2018, 03:25:34 PM »

There's some ugly. I won't say Uti wasn't talented, or at least state-of-the-art.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »

Poffo's ICW. Opens with backstage interviewer Elizabeth. I have never heard her say so much.

I am expecting this to be the best thing ever. And just as I say that Savage makes tons of gay jokes. A Savage/Street match might mostly my alley, maybe, but I'm a big fan of both guys and have unrealistic expectations.

Savage responds to Street's stalling by jumping into the front row, stealing a seat and a guy's hat and camera to troll Street. This is already my shit. Adrian Street deserves to be in the Hall of Fame more than most. He changed the business and also is the worst Facebook friend one could have. And motherfucker was in Pasolini's Canterbury Tales and no one else can say that.

Miss Linda was a great heel manager. Sherri but with less mercy.

Double count out? Fuck off with that.

Can't stress enough how scary fast Savage was, though.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »

It looks and sounds like a shitty indie match, but I'm kind of amazed it's a thing more than anything.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »

KING OF MAN

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
If there's a weird timestamp it's a misnomer. I've watched this a couple times. Everything before the actual match starts is the best.

King of Man is NXT bound. Just wait.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4629de

I only got the first show because I didn't think there'd be a second. Gauntlet for the Gold.

This will be a long, tedious wall of text.

--Starts with a Toby Keith music video, followed immediately by Toby Keith wanting to put his boot in some terrorist ass. Looks embarrassed to be there, for some reason. This was in, what, Alabama? I have to fuck with the TV volume because I feel like a goddamn choad having this being played. I'm actually sorry he's still alive. I really am. That might be the drugs talking, though.

--Daddy Jeff interrupts and becomes the best man in the world. He's number one in this, so go fake Rumble. Buff Bagwell is second! This is a dream come true. So Jarrett eliminates him immediately after taking the Blockbuster. Aw. Bagwell was the PERFECT early TNA guy and it's a shame he never came back.

--Lash LeRoux is #3! Fucking YES. Ginger muffin top and all, I love the guy. One of those I figured would succeed a little bit after WCW, not have his highlight be Jarrett eliminating him in this stupid thing. Not a LOT but a solid regional guy who would, like, put over Jimmy Rave all the time.

--The timing is all over the place. Like every elimination skips the clock ahead to the next guy. It's like old SNES WWF games.

--#4 is Norman Smiley. Jarrett is kicking this Thunder taping's ass. Big Wiggle is the most over thing so far, so of course he's out. Norman never got his due.

--#5 is Apolo, that roided up dude from Puerto Rico they brought in a few times to fail and cost himself a WWE deal by, I think, getting arrested for something or another. He's actually sicking around, and looks as good as I remember him. He's just A Big Guy.

--#6 is Truth. Truth beats the fuck out of Apolo and Don West is all "Welcome to America, Apolo!" and man, they were totally a hick promotion. Also Ed Ferrara is in the booth. Ha. So near as I can tell, Jarrett's Dibiase and Truth is Savage. If they legit had Piper and Roberts next, that would be cool.

--#7 is Slash, one of the most underrated guys of the early days. Satanic heels are always good, honestly, but the New Church was awesome. James Mitchell is with him. I miss Slash.

--#7 is Del Rios, and he's dressed EXACTLY like Scott Steiner to troll the crowd. Phantasio's lamest trick. No eliminations for a while. Fuck's Apolo still doing in there? Or Del Rios, even? Del Rios immediately just joins the clogging. I turn to find my headphones because I'm now paranoid about the TV volume.

--#8 is Justice, the future Abyss, looking like Rhino and somehow shorter than he is now. Never would've thought this doughy goon would be, technically, the longest tenured guy in the company. Some average power stuff while the announcers put him over. The crowd only knows two guys of the six, and they kinda check out a little until

--#9: Konnan. If they'd been able, or wanted to, or whatever, they had a decent main event scene. Yeah it's WCW castoffs, but they're the guys my friends always liked and never saw again at the time. TNA's biggest problem throughout their existence has been having no idea how to actually promote things in a large fashion. The fans at my school would've bought the shit outta this. Once.

--#10 is...Joel Gertner?! Wait. Ohhh right, they had him managing the Rainbow Express (Lenny Lane and Bruce aka Kwee Wee). Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? I mean Gertner managing the gay stereotypes has a level of potential, I guess, but Russo. Bruce is the guy going in to join the castaways and the default CAWs. Wikipedia says he got his face basically caved in by Sonny Siaki. Talk about a cursed guy, that Siaki.

--Anyway #11 is Rick Steiner. He kills everyone with Steinerlines, including Del Rios lol. He takes out Slash and Justice and is inexplicably looking like a star, in the sense that he's doing stuff. Wrestling in a shirt, too.

--#12 is Malice, or the Wall, or dead, whichever. Looks TOTALLY different from the Wall. Chokeslams anything that moves, and clears the ring save for Jarrett and goddamn Apolo. Malice never looked all that healthy. I mean he was a really good monster but he looked like a monster with problems. Wikipedia lists his death as just a heart attack with nothing in his system, like seven months after this. Didn't know it was that soon.

--#13 is Scott Hall. Hall and Jarrett always had good chemistry. "Recently left the WWF by mutual agreement," says Tenay. Oh my sweet summer child. He's horrible here, and it breaks my heart because I've always loved Hall. Jarrett gets the Razor's Edge, though.

--Toby Keith comes out, gives Jarrett the safest suplex I've ever seen, and Jarrett gets tossed by Hall. Keith then follows Jarrett to the back. I don't get Jarrett being a heel on this one. He got fucking robbed by a cheating musician of dubious quality.

--Chris Harris makes his debut, and right after is Gangrel with no regard to the clock. Harris had something about him, he really did, but he was destined for Braden Walker. Such is life. Gangrel again is another guy they should've hung onto. Couldn't hurt. Guy was consistent, for whatever that's worth.

--#16 is Devon Storm. Fuck that guy. Last thing I want is an anti-vax, goth-looking Doug Walker hanging around. He and Harris have an okay sequence in the corner, but fuck him. Hall chills in another corner like anyone smart would.

--#17: Steve Corino. I honestly thought Corino would at least be an upper-card heel for them. Former NWA Champion, toured Japan, had become a very consistent guy, just seemed natural. I think he only came back one other time to get murdered by a Harris brother or something.

--#18 is Ken Shamrock, with the Wolverine sideburns and juiced to the gills. The result feels kind of obvious at this point. They should've had the balls to put the belt on the Iron Man Apolo.

--#19 is Brian Christopher. That's lovely. He's in his Grandmaster Sexxaay gear and promptly dumps Harris, Storm, and Gangrel. The fuck, man? Then he gets Corino out! The FUCK, man? Now they all surround Brian and Apolo eliminates him. I can't think of anyone who is less of a threat than Brian Christopher, especially in there with guys like Malice, Hall, and Shamrock.

--Apolo is gone. Second largest tragedy in Puerto Rico history.

--Oh so Toby Keith was an entry, and now it's a one on one match between Shamrock and Malice with Ricky Steamboat as the ref. Malice should've gotten the belt. He's been kind of a star and busted his ass. This final part with Shamrock makes him look awesome. Takes Shamrock's best shots and submissions...right before a belly-to-belly to end it.

Some shit goes down with Jarrett and Keith and Hall and Jackie Fargo, but whatever. I'm bolting.

TLDR: it's the first TNA show's main event, crowns a new NWA champion, has heavy Toby Keith involvment, and I made a sandwich around the time Del Rios got tossed.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
The New Church didn't click for me until they got Brian Lee. Killdozer is an underrated ring moniker.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
It is. Lee was fire during that run, too. Wish he'd stuck around.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Killdozer was an accidental moniker, too. He was "Bulldozer" Brian Lee when he joined and Don West screwed up a line. He was trying to say something like "'Bulldozer' Brian Lee is killing this guy," but it came out along "'Killdozer' Brian Lee...he's killing him." Then fans caught on and he was officially KILLDOZER within a couple weeks.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
Doctors shouldn't make you worry. That's the ultimate pokerface job. Fuck.

Speaking of making me worry, welcome to Korea.

You got the guy in the trunks who at least went to one class for half an hour, but watched a lot of shit. You got the guy in the shirt who has zero training. You got the ref who is A Heel. Shirt Guy shouldn't have been there, or at least been told how to jump for power moves. There's a kick right to the back of the head and a butterfly suplex/Pedigree move --the lift by the arms thing-- where he forces, accidental or not, to have the other guy try to deadlift him. That kinda shit freaks me out, as a person with bone problems.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
Sick Guy Watches Random Shit on YouTube
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:16:57 AM »
Crusher Blackwell might be the best super fat dude in history.

Also if some mod just change the title to Sick Guy Watches Random Shit or something, I'd appreciate it. Sporadic died when I got less to do.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »
I don't know who is telling you Kensuke is unpopular but he's fucking awesome and a lot of people love his work at least in the later part of his career. If you want to have a blast find anything involving Kensuke and the Florida Brothers in Toryumon. Fantastic comedy.

Backlund/Sasuke is for sure out of the ordinary for BattleArts. It's generally more wrestling as mma type stuff.

if you're watching AJPW stuff then I hope you're checking out the 6 man tags and not just the big singles/tags because you need to see the wonder that is Kikuchi babyface-in-peril.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
Re: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
Lotta just residual hate from his WCW run in a lot of people, I guess. I think goodhelment or one of the old old dudes ragged on him enough to where it felt like popular opinion. Dude's great, though, and unlike a lot of guys just has that presence to him. Easy to see why he was a fake Road Warrior, you know? But I've liked the guy since tapes of the long past. Some guys are just fun to watch.

The wrestling-as-MMA "shoot" promotions interest me, but so far they all just make me want to watch MMA. Wasn't that basically what killed them off in the mid-90s?

The AJPW stuff is pretty much be fucking around. Started as me jonesing for some Kawada and remembering some stuff I hadn't seen in years, then has been going everywhere since. There's been a couple, but I need to see more six man stuff. I LOVE six man tags as a general rule. Frankly there's no excuse why I haven't yet  beyond just rabbit-holing into other international stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »
if you're watching AJPW stuff then I hope you're checking out the 6 man tags and not just the big singles/tags because you need to see the wonder that is Kikuchi babyface-in-peril.

Is this a good example? Because I dug literally everything in this match.

Everyone was on fire and I could watch Fuchi just beat the shit outta Kobashi all the time.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »
yeah that's a really good one. Jumbo is probably my favourite wrestler. Fuchi as the nasty old vet is beautiful. The reason the Worked-shoot companies died off in the mid-90's was more internal issues I think because the worked shoot stuff was still really big into the 00's. I'm not really an expert on them though by any means because I'm not a big fan of worked-shoot with a few exceptions.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
I just remember I stopped hearing about a lot of the "shoot" promotions when they went all-in on Pride. I don't think I get it, but it looks like a gateway to freakshows. Guess you just had to be there.

I'm just going to go on a mad tear of random six-mans now. I'm curious do see how things are/were done through history and location and all that.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
Alright, so that said, I went in the opposite direction last night.

This put me to sleep around 2 this morning. Inner Child always wondered why a Diesel/Yoko program never happened. Outer Adult is happy this did the long-needed job of being every bit as bad as I worried it would be. The cage actively handicapped everything, although that in mind I don't know if I'd rather watch two big dudes lay down for 15+ minutes or see Diesel in a nerve hold for 15+ minutes.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »

This is good fun.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »

The first two and a half minutes sees a pretty bloated looking Vader coming out to less-bloated-somehow Dusty's generic redneck theme and Dusty threatening Desire (valet of Sonny Siaki) with an "ass pounding" after the match. This also runs longer than the "five minutes of stalling with a bullshit finish) I was expecting (it goes maybe six), however it's an interesting thesis on Hicks vs Nazis as well as Hicks Rubbing the Ass of Attractive Young Women Before He Spanks Them With a Belt.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »
Edouard Carpentier was the shit. Talk about a guy before his time.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Edouard Carpentier was the shit. Talk about a guy before his time.

I remember learning about him on here when we were in one of those draft frenzies years ago and someone put him in their promotion.  Any specific recommendations to check out?
[img width=800

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

About an hour and 27 minutes in. It isn't a great match, but it's where I started. Joe Nova is a fat stall machine black hole, but Carpentier don't give a fuck and bounces around while working snug and selling like a Road Warrior. Even at this point in his career, he feels ten years early.

This whole show is a fucking blast. The 70s MSG shows are so much fun. I've become a bit of a Bruno guy.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
cool, thanks

I haven't seen too much Bruno myself so I may just have to find time to watch this whole show
[img width=800

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Bruno/Sprios Arion is right before this. I like both guys. Bruno is just a "I'm going to maul you and kick your ass" guy, and that's my kinda guy. The cage match with Hansen is awesome.

I think this is on the Network. Or it was. The 70s MSG shows feel so different to the 80s ones. I much prefer the atmosphere of the 70s shows than the 80s and beyond ones.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »

Masato Tanaka looks like a goddamn junior. Kojima is an old favorite, as is Tenzan, but the latter seems off. There's some ugly with Tenzan and Otani. Solid match, though. Tanaka and Otani work well together, but again, Super Face Otani is weird.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Masato Tanaka is a freak of goddamn nature. After all the deathmatches and huuuuuge bumps? STILL going strong.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2018, 04:07:53 AM »
He's in the Jerry Lynn Hall of Under Appreciated Workers.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2018, 05:05:35 AM »

Yeah, green-as-grass Nash and Liger teaming up. Norton can do everything Nash can do, just way better. The Liger/Norton sequences are great, it's just Nash sucking the decent out of things when he's in there that's the problem. Saito feels like a warm body, designed to just take the fall. That said it ends just as it feels like it gets going, and that's bittersweet to me because I wanted to see Nash at least break a sweat. Scott Norton is a GOAT big man, though. Best part is Liger going to the second rope to tag Nash in.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2018, 05:33:03 AM »

That's what's up.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2018, 05:53:35 AM »

Precious little Freddie Blassie is out there, but in this ten minutes, everything is awesome. Every hold matters, which makes every rope break matter. One guy could give up at any time. No one really kicks out of a pin so much as just fighting to get a shoulder up. Red gets the heel thing, and it takes so little to make it work. The pacing is pitch perfect for the time. There's even a botch they cover up pretty well. I feel like a lot of people today could learn from ten minutes like this. It's a really good little sliver of a match.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
Due to not being able to watch the Soup like a real American, I watched some Herb Abrams' UWF. Fuck that show.