Author Topic: Mail order meal services  (Read 339 times)

Description:

Offline Saints_Fan_H

• View Profile
Mail order meal services
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
A dietician friend hooked me up with a $50 voucher to "Home Chef" recently, which was enough to cover 2 meals plus shipping & handling. I'd been wanting to dip my toes into the "Blue Apron" and "Home Chef" field but this was too hard to pass up.

My home chef review:
You're given a weekly selection of items to choose from. Two meals totals $39.95 and it costs $10 to ship. You have to place a minimum of two meals for them to ship out. You place your order by Friday and the package arrives on Wednesday via FEDEX expertly packaged with ice packs.

I have dietary restrictions and was concerned with the high amount of selections containing milk, but Mrs. SFH pointed out that we have enough pantry and things in the refrigerator to sub out. We selected a Flatbread/tomato/mozzarella/spinach deal for meal #1 and sirloins/baked potatoes/green beans for meal #2.

For the flatbreads: Instructions included stated to "Grill the bread." We do not have a grill so we opted to just stash the bread for a rainy day, roasted the tomatoes and make salads instead (she got all the cheese). I felt for what it was, it wasn't a lot of food, even if we used the bread. Even 1-2 ounces of a chicken breast would have probably spruced this up a little more for a whole meal.

The leftover spinach went into our eggs the next morning.

Meal #2 was the garlic sirloin deal. My first thought was to observe how small the steaks were in compared to the steaks we normally get in the stores. As my dietician friend pointed out, they deliver proper serving sizes for two people. That said, the meat was VERY good looking and was of the quality I'd expect to get at the rich people store across town. The green beans were standard fare. Potatoes are potatoes, they were smaller sized baking potatoes. Mrs. SFH prepared the beans in a steamer per packed instructions, as she also baked the potatoes per their instructions. She left me to tend to the steaks so I went with a Gordon Ramsey recipe i've been using on ribeyes. They provided truffle oil for the steaks so I used that. We also had fresh basil in our packaging and garlic. So once I had the steaks seared 1 minute per side I added vegan butter, garlic, and basil and started getting those ingredients cooked and put onto the steaks, flipping them every minute.

I did all of this at 3:30 pm and had to go to work for a night shift, so I had to pack up my half and come to work (I had a pit stop for a meeting) and then couldn't touch my food until 6:30. So we have a stove here, I threw everything in pans and heated it up that way. The steak was still pink throughout and tasted wonderful. The potatoes were nothing special, you make a potato good with what you have on hand. Same with the beans, just use the seasonings you prefer.

So the steak meal was worth $25. The flat bread was not. It breaks down to about $12.50 per person per each meal. For the steaks, that's a better deal than eating out, though eating out they cook it for you. If we do it again, we'll definitely skip the flat breads.

I've hit up a few friends and family members that live alone or with one other person since it said every person I get to sign up gets a $30 voucher and I get $30 in vouchers for each one of them to sign up. No one did, and that's totally cool. I hate pyramid schemes anyway. I really think this service would be great for a single person or a couple with no dependents and they had the disposable income to have this sort of service. This is definitely not for someone on a budget, that's for sure. If you're not good at coming up with recipes outside your usual comfort zone, this could also be worth your time to explore.

So, for me, I am not going to use Home Chef going forward. It's too much expense when I can probably buy the same ingredients at a discount grocer for cheaper and put together myself. I do a lot of cooking and have lots of friends that I recipe swap with.

I'm also finding having to order on Friday for it to come in on Wednesday a little impractical if you want to just use this "minimum order of $50" service for a "rainy day."

I'd be interested in trying Blue Apron (or similar services) should the right deal come along. Does anyone else have experience to share with these services?

Online Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • View Profile
    • Neville Longbottom
Re: Mail order meal services
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:51:02 AM »
We did Blue Apron for about 3 months. The food is pretty great, but gets repetitive after awhile. Even though it's all different meals, the tastes tend to run in similar styles.

We did find some things from there that we really enjoyed that we never experienced before. I'd say that was one of the main positives - trying new things.

The negatives: more complicated to prepare than you'd typically spend on a weeknight, most likely. Very high cost. Ultimately the cost was what made it difficult to justify - $60 a week for 3 dinners just got to be too much.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
Freshly meals have never disappointed.  I would highly recommend supplementing them if you're eating healthier/watching your diet.  Never had a bad one.  They're just microwave prepped.

Richsompong

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
It was a good read. I read it very impressively to read this useful content.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
It was a good read. I read it very impressively to read this useful content.
Bot invasion confirmed. :-[