Author Topic: Delusional World Champion Angles  (Read 303 times)

Description:

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
Delusional World Champion Angles
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:40:45 AM »
Has there been any angles in which a guy loses a match but still thinks he’s the world champ?

Offline Hawk 34

• View Profile
Re: Delusional World Champion Angles
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:01:10 AM »
Are we counting stuff like Flair when he arrived in 1991?  Or when heels like Jericho would call themselves the uncrowned champion because they felt they got screwed?  Or when Shawn would carry around the other IC belt and refuse to acknowledge Razor as the real champ?

Don’t think we’ve had a guy do this routine with a memory lost aspect which sounds like a Russo storyline that probably happened in TNA but no one saw it

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:56:53 AM »
More like Jericho, but something like they lost the match but can’t admit they lost. Like the following week, they act like they won and still champ. Not memory lost just delusion

Offline Old school tough guy

• PosterFest Winner
  • Your POV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »
Spoiler: show

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Death Pool Winner
  • Epic Reine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
JBL in 2005. Once he dropped the world title to Cena at WM21, Cena introduced the spinner and JBL kept carrying around the old title and saying "nothing has changed". When Cena beat him at Judgement '05 in an "I Quit" match, he took both titles.

Offline Aero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Bob Backlund in 94 sort of did it. After beating Bret, in his post-match interview, he's introduced as the new champion but "corrects" Todd that he's been the champion since 1978, having never lost the title since he didn't submit in 1983.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Admin
  • CWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
Feels like it would be a fun midcard champion more than a world champ gimmick to me but at this point I don't really like seeing world champs booked too comedic. I don't want them booked as some kind of ultra badass if they're a heel either but there's sort of a fine line. I like my heels (with the excpetion of the Braun/Vader types) cowardly cheaters over dorky or goofy.

Offline 👹

• BZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
Yeah, if it’s any match period, would also like to know. Appreciate the answers, I didn’t know most of these.

Offline Ol' Dandy Bastard

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
This type of character could get himself DQed at times so he wouldn’t lose the belt. But yes, better suited for midcard. Maybe even a belt that doesn’t exist.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Tino Standard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Bob Backlund in 94 sort of did it. After beating Bret, in his post-match interview, he's introduced as the new champion but "corrects" Todd that he's been the champion since 1978, having never lost the title since he didn't submit in 1983.

Probably not the thread to discuss this, but it still boggles my mind that to have a similar gap between reigns now, you would need someone to win their first title since 2006. That seems feasible. (Kurt Angle, maybe?) Backlund in 1994 felt like a relic from an entire generation ago. Speaks to how much and how quickly the company evolved once the WrestleMania era began in '85.

Offline Hawk 34

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Hogan had a long gap between 1993 and 2002 but in his case, he was obviously quite visible and relevant in the industry, same with Angle.  Backlund just vanished from the national picture entirely so a better example would be if it was someone who was a ghost from the wrestling and/or general public and I’m struggling to think of a current example that could even work now since that concept of disappearing doesn’t exist now for a top guy outside of death or severe injury. 

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Goldberg was basically a ghost as far as pro wrestling was concerned. He didn't appear for anything major that I remember. He might have been on TV a bit here and there but that's more the nature of media today being different from the 80s than anything else.

Also, on a separate note, Kane went like 12 years between world title reigns despite being at least a moderate presence through the entire interim. I think he held the ECW title in there somewhere but, really, how much can that count for anything? Just imagine Randy Orton after winning that first title in 2004 and not winning it again until 2016. Don't imagine too hard, no matter how good it feels. If Miz sticks around another couple of years he could be a prime candidate for a similar gold watch type of second world title run.

Oh, and as far as the topic of this thread, original heel Alberto Del Rio would have been the most perfect delusional not-really-World-Champ ever after all that DESTINY stuff and then losing to Edge. That's the angle they should have went with.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • I AM THE MASCOT CHAMPION!
    • View Profile
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
Didn't the Rock carry around the Brahma Bull belt while Austin was champ?
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »
Someone (I want to say Sandman) stole the ECW belt from Corino, so of course Francine wouldn't fuck him.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • View Profile
    • A Horrible Premise
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Didn't the Rock carry around the Brahma Bull belt while Austin was champ?

Never was on TV.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 47: COMING SOON TO BURMERANG - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Hoodie Alfdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »
Yeah, that was actually Austin's Smoking Skull belt.  The night after WM15, Austin called out Vince and gave him the WWF belt, then told him he was still the champion and that he wanted his custom belt back.  It ended up with Rock, who taunted him with it up through Backlash where Austin beat him and reclaimed it.  Taker beat Austin the next month and the belt was never seen again
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
I actually think this could be a great angle for KO. He's good enough on the mic to get something like that over.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Sabre

• That's How I Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Yeah, that was actually Austin's Smoking Skull belt.  The night after WM15, Austin called out Vince and gave him the WWF belt, then told him he was still the champion and that he wanted his custom belt back.  It ended up with Rock, who taunted him with it up through Backlash where Austin beat him and reclaimed it.  Taker beat Austin the next month and the belt was never seen again

Its last appearance was summerslam 99.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »
DiBiase/Andre?