Author Topic: The best/worst post-grunge bands?  (Read 468 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
The best/worst post-grunge bands?
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:39:42 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-grunge_bands

this started as a chat convo. Foo Fighters seem like hands down the best of the bands shoved onto this list. Audioslave had some good tracks as well.

Online MAKE SURE YOU'RE DABBIN' ON THEM HATERS

• Kreese
Re: The best/worst post-grunge bands?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
Bush is the best band on that list. The five ham jams on their debut album blow away anything the Foo Fighters ever did, longevity be damned.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
I can't stand the Foo Fighters and I'd say that my favorite band on that list is probably Everclear.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
I noticed a lot of bands with one notable hit that I could recall immediately off that list...

Yeah, Bush definitely deserve some love. Their hits were massive at the time and still hold up for the most part. You could do a GOAT Post-Grunge Album of just their hits + a couple other tracks just from their first two albums alone.

Silverchair are also one of my favorites from the 90s on a whole so they're obviously a top tier Post-Grunge band. Their first 3 albums are great stuff and like Bush, you could easily make a GOAT album of just their hits alone that would really stand up.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:14 AM »
Foo Fighters are without a doubt the most popular band on the list, and they've put out great work.
Bush is pretty great. I saw them live at MSG on their Razor Blade Suitcase tour. Great time.
Collective Soul and Candlebox are both really good and have put out some solid albums in the past year or 2.

Alter Bridge is my favorite from the list. They are phenomenal. Both Tremonit and Myles have put out their own amazing solo work as well during their time.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »
Tremonti's solo band is unbelievably good.  Creed is a huge guilty pleasure but Tremonti's 4 solo albums have all been great.  I really enjoyed the first Alter Bridge album, but their follow ups haven't done anything for me, and Myles can't sing for shit, live.

I enjoy the Foo Fighters' more tongue in cheek work from the 90's-early 2000s.  Their more serious material has been a major turnoff. 

Bush is still a favorite.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
I loathe Foo Fighters.

I can't argue with the Bush love. Sixteen Stone was on repeat A LOT for me. Every girl at school loved Gavin Rossdale. I got a kind of short haircut in 8th grade and everyone said it was a Gavin Rossdale look which may have began my decade of strict lesbianism.

One band not on that list that I loved in middle school is Gin Blossoms. They had a fair amount of hits but most people don't bring them up.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
Gin Blossoms played a local festival for free in 2016. They were great.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
I've seen them live too and totally agree. It's pretty cool that they're still going with, essentially, the same line-up as their glory days, with the exception of their guitar player who killed himself the same week they got their first gold record.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:41 AM »
Alter Bridge is one of my favorite bands period. With that, naturally I like Tremonti's solo stuff. Halestorm is another from this list I really enjoy. I've seen them live a few times, the girl can belt one out. I guess that's about it...

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »
Best - Foo Fighters
Worst - Nickelback

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:53:50 AM »
ITT I have discovered that people hate Foo Fighters and I'm kinda taken aback.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:18 AM »
Yeah, it's weird. I've noticed the Foos have taken a hit with music fans in the last couple of years. I remember there was a thread about the Red Hot Chili Peppers a few years ago and I was shocked at how disliked they were around here.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:40 AM »
I don't think that Foo Fighters ever had a truly "great" album but they've released enough decent to good material over their career to collectively warrant a "good" tag.

Honestly, I don't look back on post-grunge with any type of rose-colored glasses.  The whole genre is pretty weak when you get right down to it.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
The Color and The Shape is definitely a good album and it might be great. I'd have to think on that one.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
I've never liked Foo Fighters. I think they are the epitome of boring white dude rock. There's absolutely nothing interesting about them, to me.

I like Red Hot Chili Peppers just fine. Their more recent stuff is a tad vanilla but their 80s/90s stuff is fun to listen to. One Hot Minute, which I would guess is their least popular album of that era, holds a special place in my heart because it came out when I was in middle school. I had it on cassette and wore it the fuck out.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
I've never liked Foo Fighters. I think they are the epitome of boring white dude rock. There's absolutely nothing interesting about them, to me.

You misspelled Dave Matthews Band pretty bad there.

Online Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
I agree with the general consensus of Bush/Foo Fighters being good. I also agree AA484's rundown of the "genre" (weak).

1981-2018
reign over all
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
Are they fighting for foo or fighting against foo?

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
The Color and The Shape is definitely a good album and it might be great. I'd have to think on that one.

I mean, there are the three obvious great songs, with a few decent ones sprinkled in there along with some fairly weak tracks.  Good but not great in my book but to each their own.  Great to me equals an album you can listen to the whole way through, only skipping maybe one or two tracks.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
Oh, and "Everlong" is by far the best song the genre produced.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 03:34:51 PM »

You misspelled Dave Matthews Band pretty bad there.

You don't know the definition of rock! They have an honest to god violin player in the band, for god's sake! (unless he died in which case RIP)

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 05:17:43 AM »
Wow, so I'll be the one who hates Bush.  Never liked them.  When Glycerine or another of their hits come on the radio it's an immediate turn for me.  I liked the Foo Fighters first 2 albums, but haven't liked anything since.  If you consider 95 as post-grunge than Smashing Pumpkins would be at the top of my list for Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.
Randy!

Offline Gary

• It's a dangerous line of work...
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »
Best-I guess I have a soft spot for Days of the New, even though they were one of the most blatant Alice in Chains ripoffs imaginable. Do Stone Temple Pilots count? Because "Purple", "Tiny Music" and "No. 4" are actually good albums. Foo Fighters-not a huge fan but dammit if "Everlong", "Running After You" and "Next Year" aren't great pop songs.

Worst-Theory of a Deadman

If you actually like anything like this, I want you to stay far away from me. You probably fantasize about abusing women and post on Gab.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline Gary

• It's a dangerous line of work...
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
If you consider 95 as post-grunge than Smashing Pumpkins would be at the top of my list for Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

Smashing Pumpkins are interesting in that they could be called grunge until you remember their flirtations with psychedelia, glam rock, electronic music and shoegaze ("Mayonaise" owes a massive debt to My Bloody Valentine). At their best, simply calling them "grunge" seems like a misnomer.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
I don't count STP or SP as post-grunge.  I feel they came along early enough to be considered part of the movement.  Typically, anything post-Cobain is associated with post-grunge.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
If Silverchair counts, they're my pick. Neon Ballroom is one of my favorite albums of the 90s.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
I don't count STP or SP as post-grunge.  I feel they came along early enough to be considered part of the movement.  Typically, anything post-Cobain is associated with post-grunge.

I've always associated STP with grunge...right, wrong or indifferent, I just always have.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:25 AM »
I've always considered STP part of the grunge/seattle sound as well.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
Yeah, I've always associated bands like STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Candlebox, and Paw with Grunge. The latter 2 bands probably towards the 'end' as their debuts came out in 1993 but both would've fit in pretty seamlessly with the Grunge formula sound of the time.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
How do you guys feel about the conspiracy theory that Kurt Cobain wrote the first Foo Fighters album?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
I wouldn't disrespect Kurt's memory like that.

if i stop posting, you know they got me

Online Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß

• Live Tax Free or Die
  • everyone gets laid
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »
Whoever believes that is willfully ignoring obvious compositional differences between Cobain and Grohl.

1981-2018
reign over all
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
The first album by the Foo has some style similarities but is obviously very different. It's just Grohl evolving his own sound IMO.

Online MAKE SURE YOU'RE DABBIN' ON THEM HATERS

• Kreese
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
I thought the rumor was that Kurt wrote much of Hole's Live Through This, not the Foo's debut. Grohl was writing and recording his own music during the time he was in Nirvana. I'm sure we would have demos of Kurt singing those early Foo Fighters songs if he had any involvement with them.

• CWM
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
I've heard the theory about Hole before but hadn't head this one. People have also credited Billy Corgan IIRC.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »
Live Through This, lyrically, is so similar to their first album, Pretty on the Inside, though. Musically it's like 10 steps above so he almost certainly helped there. In interviews she's always credited Kurt with developing harmonies and helping musically. But all the "pee girl" bullshit is quintessential Courtney Love.

To go from the unintelligible jumble of Pretty on the Inside to the female grunge perfection of Live Through This to the downright pop of Celebrity Skin is such a weird arc for that band.