Author Topic: My Crazy(ish) NCAA Football Idea  (Read 411 times)

Description:

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
My Crazy(ish) NCAA Football Idea
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:38:58 AM »
I've been mulling this over a bit. People often look to use English Premiere League style setups for MLB or other professional sports, and it really wouldn't work. But what about the NCAA? The problem with college football from the standpoint of crowning a champion is there is only so many games a team can reasonably play. This system I'm proposing would make the most of them.

In essence, you establish a top tier of 24 college teams. Divide them into four divisions. Each team would play ten league games, one home and one away against each division rival. Best team in each division goes to the college playoff, four team single elimination. Second and third place teams could play consolation bowls.

Now, last place teams in each division are relegated straight off, back to the SEC or Big Ten or whatnot. The fourth and fifth place teams (8 in total there) play relegation bowl games, loser relegated. That takes eight teams and kicks them down. From the rest of college football, eight teams have the opportunity for advancement through bowl games of their own. The Rose Bowl returns to its format of Big Ten vs. Pac Ten, winner is promoted. Etc.

(To be clear, promotion/relegation means the following season.)

There are several negatives and not being an expert there's a lot to flesh out. But it would completely eliminate the computer rankings from the sport and bring complete objectivity to the championship. Thoughts?

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
Re: My Crazy(ish) NCAA Football Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
The problem I see from the get go is the schools that are in the top division vying for the title are based on last years accomplishment. It'd essentially give teams that are great only one year no shot at winning a title since they wouldn't be in the GOAT division.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:25:16 AM »
I don't see why we can't get eight conferences of 16 teams each and seed the conferences based on seasonal play (rankings of teams within the conference, head to head conference play, etc.), then have an eight team playoff of conference champions.  Non-conference champions play in other bowl games.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »
If Colorado was shit in 2011, won their conference in 2012, got to GOAT league in 2013 but went .500 and was bumped out, was shit in 2014, undefeated with an avg victory of 50 points per game in 2015, then shit again in 2016. They might have been league champ in 2015 but wouldn't have had that opportunity.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »
One year wonders are the biggest problem with the system. But how often is a team a one-year wonder like that? If a team is crap in the preceding and following seasons, chances are they were a fluke anyway.