Author Topic: XFL to Return?!??!  (Read 7082 times)

Description: Vince McMahon trademarked United Football League!

Offline Damaramu

Re: XFL to Return?!??!
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
Should've just lost another senate race instead.

You don't want warp speed football reinvented?

Who the hell is clamoring for shorter football games anyway? I hear it a lot about baseball but never hear the complaint about football really.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2018, 01:34:24 AM »
no face masks because Vince wants to see player's faces.

This is too easy.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2018, 02:21:39 AM »

Who the hell is clamoring for shorter football games anyway? I hear it a lot about baseball but never hear the complaint about football really.

It’s actually a regular complaint generally expressed by people who attend NFL games because in person, going to an NFL game is a slog.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2018, 02:32:44 AM »
It's also a regular complaint for those of us who want to watch Bob's Burgers instead.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
no face masks because Vince wants to see player's faces.

This is too easy.
Unless the player looks like Christian.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »

It’s actually a regular complaint generally expressed by people who attend NFL games because in person, going to an NFL game is a slog.

There is a LOT of downtime between plays in an NFL game, you just don't notice it at home because they flash stats and replays and network promos and commercials at you all the time.  If you have RedZone, they just cut to another game.  Being at an actual game is probably the worst live sports experience of the four major leagues; baseball is slow too, but at least you're usually outside enjoying great weather.  At an NFL game if it's like 10 degrees or pouring rain and it's 6-3 you probably want to kill yourself.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »
I happen to like attending football in person.

Anyways, no facemasks?  Is he starting a rugby league?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
He should've started it as a rugby league in the first place. Something at the time not readily available to see. Back in 2001 I was all in hoping for a rugby/lacrosse hybrid bloodsport.

But there's no way he gets away with this 1940s no facemask thing in the concussion era, and if he does I just want Nowinski to be on ESPN and say "he hate me."

Online Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23947732/vince-mcmahon-expects-spend-close-500-million-xfl

Vince McMahon's commitment to his relaunched football league, the XFL, is significantly larger than originally expected.

The WWE chairman, who began funding the league by selling approximately $100 million in WWE stock and putting it into his wholly owned subsidiary Alpha Entertainment, has informed insiders that he expects to spend closer to $500 million in the league's first three seasons. The XFL is scheduled to reboot in February 2020.

"People were focused on the $100 million, but the truth is that doesn't even get us to the 20-yard line," league CEO and commissioner Oliver Luck told ESPN. Luck accepted the job June 5 and starts at his office across the street from WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut, on Monday.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »
Gonna bomb hard judging from the crowd reaction on Tuesday. Roman Reigns level of boos.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
Forget the NFL.  This is behind the AAF.

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
Half a billion dollars....

he's gonna gut the wwe to pay for this thing, he's not gonna sell that much stock. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Online fazzle

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »
Can't spend $500m over 3 seasons if the league doesn't last 3 seasons though.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »
This definitely feels like Vince realizes that he's 72 and if he's going to do something huge that isn't connected to wrestling, this is probably his last shot.  He probably feels the NFL is heading for a downturn in popularity for various reasons and thinks the XFL will be there to take advantage.  He's got $2 billion coming to him, a major network demanding his programming again and his company is in pretty good financial shape (the new tax bill probably won't hurt either), so you can't blame him for taking a big gamble like this.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:39 AM »
Vince should have bought a minority stake in the Panthers. That other league, Alliance of American Football, seems more plausible and fake at the same time.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
Vince should have bought a minority stake in the Panthers. That other league, Alliance of American Football, seems more plausible and fake at the same time.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
Well they have a TV contract with CBS but not much else has been announced. I can put down $50 for season tickets in San Diego but the team doesn't have a name or website yet.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Apparently, Vince has 10 million earmarked for player health insurance. Paid for by.... wrestlers who break their body and have to buy their own insurance.

• Kreese
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
lol

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2018, 03:24:54 AM »
lol https://www.gerweck.net/2018/11/22/adidas-challenging-vince-mcmahons-alpha-trademarks-for-the-xfl/

PWInsider reports that clothing and sneaker company Adidas is challenging Vince McMahon’s trademark for Alpha Entertainment, the new entity he’s using to relaunch the XFL that was announced last year. According to the report, a number of Adidas’ subsidiary companies have requested time from the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to oppose Alpha Entertainment trademarking its logo.

Adidas is reportedly arguing that Alpha’s logo is infringing on the one for Adidas. Currently, Adidas will have until March 6, 2019 to file an opposite or request another question.

It was previously reported in April 2018 that all six of the XFL trademarks that Alpha Entertainment applied to register for were given an initial refusal by USPTO. That refusal was due to the likelihood of confusing from similar XFL trademarks being held by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
They're pretty different to me but I'd also tend to interpret that kind of thing pretty broadly, so as to not let giant corporations lock everything up (even when feuding with another corporation!).

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2018, 07:22:07 AM »
They're different enough, I agree. But hey, anything that screws with Vince and his dumb ass is fine by me.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/xfl-reveal-team-cities-and-venues-next-week-271281

The next step in Vince McMahon's XFL revival is set for next week.

At MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey next Wednesday (December 5), the XFL will reveal which eight cities will be getting teams for the league's 2020 launch. The XFL will also announce which venues the teams will be playing at.

The XFL will stream next Wednesday's announcement live on the league's website and social media accounts at noon Eastern time.

It appears that St. Louis, Missouri will be home to one of the XFL's eight teams. KSDK TV reported earlier this week that the XFL will be coming to St. Louis, with five of the team's 10 regular season games being played at The Dome at America's Center. The venue was formerly known as the Edward Jones Dome, and the NFL's Rams played there prior to moving to Los Angeles in 2016.

Instead of using a franchise model with individual owners, the XFL will own all of the teams in the league. A television/media rights deal for the XFL has yet to be announced.

WOO! WHO'S PUMPED? ANYONE? ANYONE?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
Eight teams, eh? Bring on the Oakland Pillagers.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
Apparently Houston is getting a team

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS

Online fazzle

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »
Seems like a wasted opportunity to have all 8 cities be ones that already have NFL teams.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2018, 03:28:33 AM »
For anybody who can't access the above link. Not too surprising, I think 4 of them (Dallas, LA, NY, TB) had XFL teams too.

The 8 Cities
"Dallas - Houston - Los Angeles - New York - St. Louis - Seattle - Tampa Bay - Washington, DC"

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2018, 03:31:33 AM »
Kind of odd that Chicago was omitted.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »
If it really is true that Vince wrote this past week's Raw, then yeah. Please let this come faster so that he gets as far away from the product as possible.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »
I can't imagine NYC, LA, DC and Seattle being receptive to this league.

Tampa though.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
The rumor is that the LA team will play in the Stubhub Center. I think they should play in Anaheim at Angels Stadium.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »
https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/xfl-announces-start-date-team-cities-and-venues-271691

Vince McMahon announced that the first season of the league's revival will begin on February 8-9, 2020, which is the weekend after the NFL's Super Bowl. XFL commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck said the start date gives them the time they need to get the game, the fan experience, and their partnerships right.

The inaugural season will feature eight teams. The host cities (which had already been inadvertently revealed on the league's website) and venues were confirmed today:

New York (MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey)
Dallas (Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas)
Houston (TDECU Stadium in Houston, Texas)
Los Angeles (StubHub Center in Carson, California)
St. Louis (The Dome at America's Center in St. Louis, Missouri)
Seattle (CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington)
Tampa Bay (Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida)
Washington D.C. (Audi Field in Washington D.C.)
St. Louis is the only one of those cities without an NFL team.

Instead of having individual owners, all of the XFL teams will be owned by the league. Luck noted that they're well on their way to identifying their team presidents and head coaches. The coaches will also be the general managers of their teams. The XFL plans on filling the team president and head coach positions in the first quarter of 2019, which is also their timeframe for signing quarterbacks and other impact players.

Team names will be announced in the coming months.

Luck said he believes there's a big player pool they'll recruit from, including inviting players who are released when the NFL finalizes its rosters to try out. The XFL will scout, run mini-camps, hold local tryouts, and have an XFL draft and supplemental draft.

A television/media rights deal wasn't announced at today's event. Luck said they're "very excited about the meaningful and deep conversations we've had with all of the major media players about our distribution plans." He said the XFL is confident that their games will be widely available on multiple platforms when the league launches. McMahon also mentioned that there's a clamoring for live sporting events on many networks.

The XFL continued to push the idea of "reimagining" football, with Luck saying that they want to complement fall football. The four areas they're focusing on for the on-field product are the speed of the game, increasing meaningful on-field action, creating more in-game rhythm and flow, and improving player safety.

Luck said the XFL will test for performance-enhancing drugs.

It was noted that the XFL is watching the development of sports gambling in the U.S. The league is a proponent of giving fans a legal and safe way to participate in gambling.

Well he's gotten further along than I thought he would but it sure sounds terrible.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2018, 03:30:59 PM »
I still don't get how it makes sense to have teams where there are already teams. Are Seahawks fans going to be fans of the Seattle team?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Are Seahawks fans going to be fans of the Seattle team?

/wackowalrus

• Admin
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
I need to see what stadiums these teams are playing in even though I have literally zero interest in watching this. Any stadiums owned by the team will not allow them to play there.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2018, 04:05:12 AM »
I need to see what stadiums these teams are playing in even though I have literally zero interest in watching this. Any stadiums owned by the team will not allow them to play there.

IIRC I read that the XFL worked out deals when setting up host cities to utilize specific stadiums in the agreements thus the naming of venues.

"New York (MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey)
Dallas (Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas)
Houston (TDECU Stadium in Houston, Texas)
Los Angeles (StubHub Center in Carson, California)
St. Louis (The Dome at America's Center in St. Louis, Missouri)
Seattle (CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington)
Tampa Bay (Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida)
Washington D.C. (Audi Field in Washington D.C.)"

I'm all for more football and so I don't outright hate the concept. It sounds like the XFL will likely innovate some ideas that the NFL will steal down the road (again) but the actual on-field product will be subpar as well. If the XFL were smart, it'd target a lot of college prospects who would likely go undrafted/and or be drafted in lower rounds AFL vs. NFL style and let them develop rather than focusing on NFL retreads and cut talent.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
Quote from: Retweeted by Observer account
SBJ: "The XFL is deep in discussions with Fox and ESPN, in a pair of deals that would see games on ABC and Fox." Deals could be announced as early as next week. Full story is behind the paywall. https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/01/21/In-Depth/Football-leagues-media.aspx

Makes sense given that CBS has the Alliance of American Football on deck.  It will be interesting to see how football starved the American audience actually is with (probably) three pro leagues going and college.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2019, 05:24:24 AM »
Bob Stoops has been named the GM/HC of the Dallas team. Pretty big get.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2019, 03:19:15 AM »
If the XFL were smart, it'd target a lot of college prospects who would likely go undrafted/and or be drafted in lower rounds AFL vs. NFL style and let them develop rather than focusing on NFL retreads and cut talent.

I'd go completely the other way and let the XFL draft kids out of high school. Pay players who would otherwise be subject to slave labor by the NCAA. Replace college football.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2019, 03:20:56 AM »
Washington has now announced Pep Hamilton as the GM/HC while a press conference will be held Monday where it's expected that Jim Zorn will be the GM/HC of the Seattle team.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2019, 05:05:50 AM »
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Kreese
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2019/05/XFL.aspx

More than half of the XFL's games will be on broadcast TV as part of deals the league is announcing with Fox and ESPN this morning. The broadcast component is important as league execs believe their best chance for success is having games in front of the biggest possible TV audience. Spring football efforts in recent years, including the Alliance of American Football, which shut down last month, did not have the majority of their games on broadcast TV. “Spring football is going to work,” said ESPN Exec VP/Programming & Scheduling Burke Magnus. "The combination of Vince McMahon, WWE, Fox and Disney is an incredible one to take a really hard run at this and see if that’s not the combination that finally makes it work.”

The multiyear deal calls for 24 of the XFL's 43 games to be on broadcast TV (13 on ABC; 11 on Fox), including two Thursday primetime games on Fox in April '20. The networks are not paying a rights fee, but ESPN and Fox are picking up production costs, which generally amount to around $400,000 per game, sources said. As part of the deal, the nets will sell ads around the game; the XFL will handle sponsorships at the venue. ESPN and Fox will hold streaming rights to XFL games. The two nets also will cross-promote games during game broadcasts. “One of the key drivers of a successful professional league is broad exposure and appointment television, and we’ve got that,” said CAA’s Alan Gold, who along with agency's Nick Khan brokered the deal for league.

Ah, the rare deal where all involved parties are getting cucked.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
Nowhere near as good as Vince would want but the fact he got anything seems amazing to me.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
Better deal than the AAF got at the very least since more people actually get the channels their games will be on.  There's a much more solid source of funding as well so it should at least finish one season.

• Admin
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »
The only person who has any significant risk is McMahon, who will almost assuredly lose $350 million or more in these first three years and is risking that the numbers aren’t just fine for a free product, but become worth paying significant money for. If the XFL can get UFC money for the 2024 season between FOX and ESPN, they will be solvent from that going forward.

Essentially, going into the 2024 season, either Vince McMahon will have to negotiate deals that will pay him for content to the tune of likely significantly more than $100 million per season in total (his annual losses, based on AAF losing $10 million per week and the XFL expenses being significantly higher), or he would have to decide to continue spending whatever the deficit is to keep the league going.

- Meltzer

There is no way he gets paid back for that. The guy is senile and being taken for a ride.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2019, 07:42:22 AM »
The whole purpose of this league is basically him sucking up to Trump so he can have spring football without all the black people expressing their first amendment rights

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
The only person who has any significant risk is McMahon, who will almost assuredly lose $350 million or more in these first three years

Jesus christ

have other people reported this number?

• Admin
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
The only person who has any significant risk is McMahon, who will almost assuredly lose $350 million or more in these first three years

Jesus christ

have other people reported this number?

No but it's common sense. They have to pay more or less 500 players, plus staff, plus equipment for everyone, and all these organizations need to have offices somewhere. They are receiving no money other than ticket sales and maybe some sponsorship deals in the stadiums. The TV deal is not good by any standard, they are not receiving a single cent for it. When MLS started they received money from ABC/ESPN, that's how much these networks do not believe in the XFL. That is a soccer league that wasn't tried in this country since the early 80's, with no proof whatsoever that people would ever take to it (but they did), receiving more television money than a second football league. The XFL also has to pay rent to be in these stadiums. I think there's a chance they would actually lose more.