Author Topic: The Meltzer Thread  (Read 3262 times)

Description:

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Re: The Meltzer Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
One could argue that Meltzer's general reporting helped cultivate their choices (which is a weak argument).

I think that was much more the case 20+ years ago but not so much now, especially with the ease in which footage can be recommended and subsequently obtained.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
If you don't think Dave has a NJPW bias you're pretty blind and he obviously has influence on his voters but not as much as he did before. The awards don't really matter that much anymore tbh. The HOF is more interesting.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
yeah these awards seem weird when damn near most of them are filled with people and things in the worst promotion of the year

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
If you don't think Dave has a NJPW bias you're pretty blind and he obviously has influence on his voters but not as much as he did before. The awards don't really matter that much anymore tbh. The HOF is more interesting.

I don't watch the American stuff live anymore and it also gives me a list of foreign stuff to check out, too.  So it serves a purpose to a casual like me, at least.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »

Will this help Dave realize he's in self parody mode now?

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2019, 03:25:51 AM »
When a major league sports team is making fun of your shit...

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
I can't find the Tweet, but he said that he went to school, and knows the person running the page, so he doesn't take offense to it, like many were blowing it up to him.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2019, 02:18:35 AM »

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2019, 02:38:37 AM »
Context?
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2019, 03:07:09 AM »
Former ROH photography Mary Kate Anthony found a VHS tape of the legendary Bret Hart-Tom Magee match but stated she couldn't post it online due to legal reasons, and I guess Dave extrapolated that she had received threats from WWE rather than the truth which is that she was, I guess, expecting threats from WWE? idk

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:25 AM »
Some lady has THE missing Tom Magee and Bret Hart match for a project she is doing for Bret, I believe.  She posted evidence and Meltzer is claiming WWE flipped out since supposedly that match is on the banned list that talent can’t request alongside only Owen’s death and Droz getting paralyzed.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
Former ROH photography Mary Kate Anthony found a VHS tape of the legendary Bret Hart-Tom Magee match but stated she couldn't post it online due to legal reasons, and I guess Dave extrapolated that she had received threats from WWE rather than the truth which is that she was, I guess, expecting threats from WWE? idk
Most likely that's the case because a WWE copyright claim would literally be the only legal reason she couldn't post it. So the gist is correct even if the actual story isn't.

Some lady has THE missing Tom Magee and Bret Hart match for a project she is doing for Bret, I believe.  She posted evidence and Meltzer is claiming WWE flipped out since supposedly that match is on the banned list that talent can’t request alongside only Owen’s death and Droz getting paralyzed.

FWIW, Colt Cabana said when he worked for WWE, he requested a series of matches every month that would show up in a DVD.  Every month, he'd request the Hart-McGee match and every month, it would be the only match not on his DVD. He interviewed Meltzer several years ago about it and was shocked when Dave said he's seen it at some point.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
The latest on this story is that Dave and Mary-Kate were in touch this morning and are now "on the same page" but the more interesting note is Meltzer is claiming that WWE never made this available because supposedly they did not have the footage of this and are in contact to acquire this match now.
[img width=800

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
What's the big deal with the match?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
Magee was pegged to be in the spot Warrior got and eventually take over for Hogan, reportedly due to his look and how great this match was, supposedly.  He and Bret got rave reviews for this match.  Apparently the guy looked like a complete goof in anything and everything else, was gone soon and this really raised Bret’s stock as a singles guy.
[img width=800

Offline The Thread Killer

• Thread's Dead, Baby. Thread's Dead.
  • Snausages
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »
I actually saw Tom Magee wrestle live for the WWF, at a TV taping at the Brantford Civic Centre back in 1986 or 87, I think.  He didn't wrestle Bret Hart, I am pretty sure he wrestled an enhancement guy named Terry Gibbs.  I don't think the match ever aired, or if it did I didn't see it on TV.  Magee wasn't that bad. I remember he was a big muscular guy, he looked kind of like Kerry Von Erich, but he could fly.  I remember him coming off the top rope and doing what kind of looked like a shooting star press.  It was basically a squash match, but he looked impressive to me (of course I was only 16 at the time.)  This was over 30 years ago, so I may be remembering this whole thing wrong, but I do remember him jumping off the top rope and doing some sort of flip which in that era was pretty rare, for a guy of his size especially. I was surprised he basically never showed up on TV and was never heard of again.  The next time I saw him was a few years later in a horrible cheesy action movie called "Stone Cold" fighting Brian Bozworth in the mud or something.

Not sure why he never made it, it's not like he was much worse than most of the muscleheads in the WWF during that era.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2019, 02:14:22 AM »
Magee was terrible. He had a tremendous look, and could do some amazing spots. Picture Kerry Von Erich taking a back body trip but doing a flip and landing on his feet. Obvious raw talent. But in between spots he moved like a video game character and looked lost. As unnatural a wrestler as you've ever seen.

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2019, 02:23:25 AM »
I mean, Magee being an awful, failed experiment has been known amongst the wrestling community for awhile but agreed, from everything I've seen, he wasn't any different from say, Lex Luger in 1993.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2019, 03:58:29 AM »
I mean, Magee being an awful, failed experiment has been known amongst the wrestling community for awhile but agreed, from everything I've seen, he wasn't any different from say, Lex Luger in 1993.

Are you serious?

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2019, 04:07:57 AM »
Luger was eons better than Magee.  He could go when he wanted to, especially before injuries started taking their toll.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2019, 04:09:03 AM »

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2019, 05:56:32 AM »
Dumb analogy, but I was thinking in terms of how Vince thought Magree was going to be "the guy" just like how Vince thought Luger was the guy after Hogan left and how both didn't pan out even though Luger had a much better career overall and would even win a world title during the hottest period in wrestling.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
He looks like Chuck Palumbo.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »
So then you are agreeing he looks like a MEGA STAR
[img width=800

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »
Kenny Omega mixed with Kerry Von Erich

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2019, 02:12:55 AM »
Melt set claimed Gargano-Cole from Takeover: New York was a notch above the popular Gargano-Alma’s from Takeover: Philadelphia last year and quite possible “the best WWE match of all time”
[img width=800

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2019, 02:27:33 AM »
What a fucking mark

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2019, 03:05:19 AM »
That's a ridiculous statement but watch the internet lose their minds over an opinion.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2019, 03:13:53 AM »
Honestly, as much as I love those guys and I disagree, this was really the only place I see people disagreeing.  I kinda casually browse Reddit to find interesting things and seemingly a fair amount agree.  That's the same place that despite how glaringly off Mauro was for that show, people wanted to know why Mauro wasn't on the MVP poll for the show and talking about what a great job he did with that show.  Like I said in the Takeover thread, I usually don't mind Mauro but he seemingly had something wrong with him that night - so if you want to call him the MVP of that particular show, you are clearly a blind mark - which would result in something like this.
[img width=800

• Admin
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2019, 04:10:35 AM »
I liked it a lot but the first two falls were not good. Meltzer seems to star rate based on crowd reaction now.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline strummer

« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2019, 06:36:34 AM »
So i guess I'll post this.  Here's the thing when I first got on the net in 97 or so Dave's snarkiness kind of bothered me.  Hell it was real annoying.  I kinda felt that way until the beginning part of this decade.  Hey the guy likes what he likes.  Is he biased?  Sure he is.  But I really don't care anymore.  Hell he basically admitted on Sean Mooney's podcast that he's always had a bias against Hogan matches.  It's probably because I'm getting older but his shit doesn't really bother me anymore.  He still has a good batting average in reporting stories.  He certainly misses more than he used to but he's also pushing 60 and moving farther away from the current generation of stars.  He's says some really stupid shit that he should be called out on but like I think like I said earlier in this thread people pretending Dave has always been this terrible reporter or something is silly and stupid

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »
What a fucking mark

Hey white man watch the slurs

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »
My girlfriend called Gargano/Cole "interminable."

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »
lol meltzer...that's all i can say at this point.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
Gargano/Cole wasn't even the best match last night.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
I don't watch NXT, but great wrestling isn't just about putting together a series of moves.  It's about telling a story, drawing people in, creating a star.  How could some random NXT match possibly be better than the drama, money and star creation of Austin-Bret from Mania 13?  It's absurd that anyone could even possibly think something like that.
Randy!

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2019, 04:28:24 AM »
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:22 AM »
I love Dusty, which makes me root for Cody, but there are so many reasons I want this to implode, just so Dave and wrestling twitter can meltdown. 

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
Anothe recent note to bring up, following the proclamation of his love for Gargano/Cole, he called this Takeover the best WWE PPV ever.

I love NXT and enjoyed this Takeover but I don’t think this was the best Takeover, let alone all-time show for WWE.

[img width=800

• Admin
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
The steroids rotted his brain

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
He's also saying that AEW would unquestionably do the second biggest ticket sales if they and every other promotion ran in the same city at the same time. That might be true for the first couple of AEW shows although if NJPW actually came over with all of its talent and booked them in huge matches I don't know that it is. The assumption that it can't be questioned at all is what I find silly. After AEW runs a few shows I don't know that they'll have anywhere near the same drawing power because they only have a few stars and we've seen most of the matches.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #141 on: Today at 01:19:34 PM »
More Meltz bias this week.

While doing his baseless speculating, he mentioned in two years Ronda could very well join AEW instead of coming back to WWE.  Then in the same podcast when discussing the WWE getting the largest possible audience on FOX he made sure to say how the stock will go way down if they lose their slot due to ratings. 

I probably didn't do a good job of showing these points in their context. Nonetheless it jumped out at me for Dave framing AEW as good as possible and down playing the WWE getting their best TV slot in forever.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #142 on: Today at 01:22:15 PM »
Meltzer is AEW PR to the max

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #143 on: Today at 01:30:40 PM »
This guy is so desperate to be cool for once that he’s oblivious that he’s being used and throwing away what’s left of his credibility.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #144 on: Today at 03:22:44 PM »
For real, that dick is ALL IN.