Author Topic: NXT Takeover: Phoenix  (Read 441 times)

Description: Saturday, 1/26/2019

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
NXT Takeover: Phoenix
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
From the home of the garbage fire Phoenix Suns, The Talking Stick Resort Arena (located 20.6 miles from Talking Stick Resort btw), is  NXT Takeover: Phoenix.

NXT Championship
NXT Champion Tomasso Ciampa vs Aleister Black

NXT Women's Championship
NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler vs. Bianca Belair

NXT North American Championship
NXT North American Champion Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano

NXT Tag Team Championship
NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed Era (Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong) vs. War Raiders (Hanson and Rowe)

Grudge Match
Kassius Ohno vs. Matt Riddle

I think the War Raiders may get the win here but don't really see the other titles changing hands right now.  Black has to be on the verge of going up so I don't think it makes sense to give him another reign to lose at the next Takeover.  Belair may be getting tested here to dethrone Shayna pre-call up but again, think that would be the next Takeover at the earliest.

Regardless, should be some really fun matches.  I scored seats in Row 5, which I think the North American match could make it worth getting those seats alone.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: NXT Takeover: Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 04:24:25 AM »
Alright - my official predictions for tonight - though i alluded to most in my preview post.

NXT Champion Tomasso Ciampa
Ciampa retains via some dastardly means.  We finally get Johnny Redemption and DIY blowoff at Mania weekend.

NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler
Too early for Bianca.  She comes close but the inexperience plays up more than the Horsewomen.  She wins later too.

NXT North American Champion Ricochet
Johnny's final wakeup call to go back to his values

War Raiders
Time to pull the trigger.  UE has had a long run and this builds into their claim to need all belts, potentially reshuffle who is tagging.

Matt Riddle
No brainer here.  Think the only interesting thing is if maybe Keith Lee comes out to celebrate before turning on Riddle after the match.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »
Waiting I. Line to get in and Jeremy Borash just came out in front of me with a camera
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
So I am near the ramp and I get to keep my chair!
[img width=800

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:25:30 AM »
When Mauro comes out, please tell him he's a sock-puppet-headed cocksucker.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:34:22 AM »
I was coming to express more excitement for keeping the chair and the fact they have a sweet Matt Riddle shirt I now own
[img width=800

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
There's War Raiders' breakout match.  Fat guys doing cartwheels is always a crowd pleaser.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
JOHNNY HAS BECOME THAT WHICH HE HATES

JOHNNY CHAMPION

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
Johnny's the best wrestler in the company.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
DUH
FEE
TED

Still, a pretty decent showing for Belair.  Still kinda rough around the edges, but she's got something good to work with.

Holy fuck, main event and it's not even 9.  NXT rules so much.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
Honestly that main event was pretty disappointing.   Tag match and Johnny/Ricochet were both incredible though

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:04 PM »
Second half of the main was great, but it took a while to get there.  Loved Black's selling of the knee, though.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
that main event was not that good. The storyline and finisher overkill and teasing a second concrete spot on the show...bleh. Turning Ciampa into another HHH really doesn't do it for me. The women's match also felt like it was worked as a main roster style match that didn't really work. Richochet/Gargano was excellent though. I missed the other matches getting pizza.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
#DIY: Now with new Evil Formula.

Ciampa teasing the floor spot made perfect sense because he's done it before and it reinforces how Johnny is now thinking exactly like Ciampa in his matches.  Gargano is the dark version of Sami Zayn in NXT.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
The main event was just a basic good match.

Women's match sucked.

Rest of the show was great.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
Also, I think it's pretty much a lock that Black is in the Rumble tomorrow after this, though I NEED Evil DIY vs. Black Velvet yesterday.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
deleting what I posted because it might not have been accurate.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
Just got in from the show and loved, loved, loved it live.  I knew I had good seats but better than I knew when I got there.  I also was afraid to kill my phone taking a ton of pictures because I had to have my ticket available to claim my chair at the end of the night, another pleasant surprise.

As others mentioned, the tag match and North American title matches were crazy up close, as I expected. 

I was pissed at the crowd during Riddle/Ohno because they they were dead.  Some fat guys near me kept trying to fat shame Ohno during the match which was weird too.  I'd love to see them do the shit he did.

Crowd was a bit quiet for both title matches to me but again, the people in these crowds try to put themselves over.  There was one guy that was telling me before the show about his diabetes similarities to Roddy Strong and he tried yelling TYPE 1 FOR LIFE at some point in the tag match.  He kept trying to tell jokes that weren't really hitting.  There were a lot of guy by themselves like that around me tonight.  And some guy in an Elite shirt I think was trying to look like Joey Ryan that somehow had a girl too attractive for him with him.  He kept wanting to yell stuff against the grain too.  Him and his buddy actually started vaping for like a minute at one point during the main event which was super weird.

I thought the main event started hot but then just got slowed and dulled down.  Seemed odd to go to the concrete spot again but wasn't sure if they were teasing DIY on commentary.

The audio was awful in arena tonight.  I couldn't hear the backstage stuff so not only do I know where the show truly ended but I couldn't hear what was going on.  Assuming whatever happened with HHH was seen by the viewers at home but couldn't hear it.  The crowd was going nuts for HHH to come out when he stormed through the curtain but nothing happened.

Definitely after off the air Black, Dream and Ricochet all came out and posed.  Some around me speculated they all get called up but I figure the six of them figure into something for all the titles going into the next Takeover. 

The matches for next week - Io/Kairi vs. Horsewomen Jrs and Street Profits vs. Forgotten Sons were okay.  I did appreciate
Spoiler: show
Montez wearing some new gear looking like Harlem Heat
and I got two chants started that may make TV.  People really took to a "You're No Ronda" chant I started during the Horsewomen match and I did manage to ge ta "We Forget You" going for the Forgotten Sons.
[img width=800

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
lol @ people on twitter thinking that Sam Roberts was actually allowed to shoot on air.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:59 AM »
So I alluded to the end of the show that probably doesn’t make any sense to any of you given that I read the show went off the air shortly after Gargano was on the ramp with Ciampa.

The two are standing on the ramp together but then Velveteern Dream’s music hits.  Dream comes out from the side of the stage and starts getting into it with the champs.  After a little back and forth, Adam Cole makes his first appearance of the night arguing with all of them too.  Aleister Black comes up and joins the fray.  This leads Ricochet coming out.  All six are shouting and as things start to get physical, a swarm of officials come out.  Black, Ricochet and Dream stay out and pose for a minute.  When they go back, all six men are brawling again.  When the pull apart guys are getting them separated, HHH appears and yells something at all of them.  Which now really sucks there was no audio that was audible in the arena.  He storms through a curtain that seemed to be the one the faces entered backstage from so the crowd is going nuts and chanting for him.  Dream, Black and Ricochet all come out and pose more to send the crowd home happy.

The final part where the faces came outnwas where I figured we had gone off TV.  I was assuming the HHH stuff made air.  I will say that one thing I noticed going to the last two Takeovers are some of the talent seems awkward with acknowledging or interacting with the crowd still.  Dream and Black both knew how to work the entire building and even did some nice subtle things at that end that can hopefully translate to them being big stars when they get their shot.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:46:16 AM »
Ok, they posted it all online it appears

[img width=800

Offline Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 01:55:17 AM »
I enjoyed the show a ton overall.

I was never a big War Machine/Raiders fan but they looked like stars here and were pretty over. Cool entrance too.

I was shocked at how much Riddle sold for Ohno. I expected an extended squash in Riddle's favor and was surprised to see Kassius get quite a bit of offense in.

Gargano/Riccochet was awesome.

Belair was badly exposed for still being green as fuck. She's extremely athletic and has a lot of upside but this was the wrong night to try and push her. Baszler continues to improve.

I felt the main event went a little too long but I did enjoy the finish.

NXT continues to shine.