Author Topic: Royal Rumble 1994  (Read 970 times)

Description:

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Royal Rumble 1994
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
Sadly we no longer have Bobby Heenan as this is the first WWF PPV without him.  As a result, the quality of the commentary goes downhill fast.

First we have Ted Dibiase's return since he disappeared after Summerslam 93 to be our colour man this evening.  He's pretty good.

Opening Match:  Tatanka vs. Bam Bam Bigelow.  Bam Bam is replacing the injured Ludvig Borga, who never did come back.  I think this is the debut of Tatanka's new look without the red hair.  Both guys seem motivated, which is somewhat surprising since this is a long dead feud and they are both wrestling in the Rumble later.  This is the first show (other than the exception of Piper in 1992) where guys have to do double duty to fill out the Rumble.  Tatanka goes for his War Dance, but Bam Bam knocks him out with an enzuigiri and mocks him with his own dance.  Bigelow misses the Moonsault.  Tatanka wins with a Flying Crossbody.  Good opener.  Probably much better than Tatanka/Borga would have been.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Re: Royal Rumble 1994
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »
Recap of the formation of the Hart Brothers tag team.

Todd Pettengill interviews the Hart Brothers.  I miss Mean Gene, or even Sean Mooney.  Bret stumbles over his promo. 

WWF Tag Team Championship:  The Quebecers vs. The Hart Brothers.  Big pop for the Harts.  Vince is really starting to get on my nerves on play-by-play.  Owen screws up a backbody drop spot, but covers it up with suplex rather nicely.  Too bad the Harts team didn't last a bit longer first as they are very good together.  Owen gets the hot tag and Sharpshooter on Jacques, but Pierre breaks it up.  Polo pulls the ropes down and Bret spills up and injures his knee.  The champs work over Bret's knee.  Bret gets a chance to tag Owen, but instead he goes for the Sharpshooter.  Bret can't keep the hold on and the ref rings the bell and awards the match to the Quebecers.  Very good match, and even better angle.  Owen is furious and does have a point about Bret trying to hog the glory.  Bret makes it to his feet and Owen kicks his leg out from under his leg to turn heel for good.  Ray Rougeau tries to find out Bret's condition, and he might not be able to participate in the Rumble later.  Bret gets stretchered out, while Owen delivers his promo on the Titan Tron.  This was easily my favourite angle of 1994.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
Dibiase applauds Owen for coming out from Bret's shadow. 

Intercontinental Championship:  Razor Ramon vs. IRS.  IRS has no music, probably one of the last name wrestlers for which this is the case.  Razor is missing his chains which have been repossessed by Irwin.  Gorilla and JR are taking over for this match, instantly improving the commentary at least.  Nice spot sees IRS go up top and avoid Razor putting his boot up and elbowdrops him anyways.  I like IRS better than most people, but I can't help but think he would have been better in the ring if he didn't have to wear business clothes all the time.  After a few minutes he's just sweating buckets.  About what you would expect from a Razor/IRS match.  Ref bump and IRS goes for the briefcase, but Razor grabs it and nails him with it.  Razor goes for the Razor's Edge and Shawn Michaels runs out and hits him with his version of the IC Title.  IRS covers and wins the title.  Hebner runs out and Razor grabs IRS from behind with the Razor's Edge when he was celebrating and the ref counts for the 3.  I guess the match got restarted.  IRS got screwed!  Okay match before the screwy ending.  Two or three weeks after this I saw IRS/Razor in a Ladder Match at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
Oh God, this match...

WWF Championship Casket Match:  Yokozuna vs. The Undertaker.  We get a decent big man match for a few minutes or so until the nonsense starts.  Crush runs in, but Taker fights him off.  The Great Kabuki and Tenryu run in and still can't get the job done.  Now Bam Bam runs in and four guys can finally begin to get Taker down.  In the meantime, Mr. Fuji has stolen the Urn.  Paul Bearer attacks Cornette and Fuji and steals it back.  Taker fights off four guys and Adam Bomb runs in to help out the heels.  He's not effective either.  Now Jeff Jarrett runs in and gets his ass kicked.  Yokozuna gets back in the ring as the Headshrinkers run in too.  Now Diesel comes in and just stands around because he's Nash.  Taker still comes back even though it is 10 on 1 at this point.  Even Cena would be losing at this point.  Yoko nails Bearer and steals the Urn again.  He hits Taker with it.  Green smoke starts pouring out of the Urn, and Undertaker's strength leaves him.  This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.  Are we sure Russo didn't write this angle?  Finally ten guys are able to get Taker into the casket.  Yoko retains.  The heels push the casket out and the gong goes off and green smoke starts pouring out of the casket.  Taker appears in the casket on the Titan Tron to give a promo before Taker dies and his spirit rises to Heaven.   If anything deserves -*****, this is it.  If there is a worse WWF Championship match out there, I don't want to see it. 

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Interview medley with our Rumble participants. 

Rumble time, thank God.

#1 is Scott Steiner.  #2 is Samu.  90 second entries for the first time as the Taker crap went long.  I wasn't very happy about this at the time, but it ended up not being a big deal (unlike the 60 second entries next year).

#3 is Rick Steiner who takes his sweet time getting to the ring despite Scott being in trouble.  Samu hangs himself in the ropes and Scott shoves him out.

#4 is Kwang.  The Steiners just wait for Kwang to get in.  Kwang spits mist in Rick's face effectively taking him out of the match. 

#5 is Owen Hart.  Huge boos for Owen.  He puts Rick Steiner out of his misery.  I like how they made sure to separate Owen and Bret in this match.

#6 is Bart Gunn.  He goes after Owen.

#7 is Diesel.  One of the most famous and important Rumble segments begins as he clears the ring.  Bart, Scott, Owen, and Kwang all gone.

#8 is Bob Backlund.  He fairs about as well as in their title match later in the year. 

#9 is Billy Gunn.  Diesel turfs him quickly too as the crowd starts to get behind Big Daddy Cool.  We cut to the back where Tenryu and Kabuki are assaulting Lex Luger. 

#10 is Virgil.  Dibiase loves this.  Virgil is the alternate for Kamala.  Diesel eliminates Virgil.  Nash is becoming a star before my eyes.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
#11 is Randy Savage, ending Diesel's run.  Dibiase hates him too.

#12 is Jeff Jarrett.  He goes after Savage while Diesel rests in the corner.  Jarrett thinks he eliminated Savage and goes after Diesel, allowing Savage to grab him from behind and eliminate him.

#13 is Crush.  He goes after Savage.  Crush hits the Tilt-A-Whirl Slam on Savage and casually dumps him over the top. 

#14 is Doink.  He squirts water at the heels, then they take turns pummeling the clown. 

#15 is Bam Bam Bigelow.  Crush and Diesel stand back as Bigelow kills Doink.  He launches Doink up the aisle.  Crush and Diesel immediately jump Bam Bam from behind.

#16 is Barney...er...Mabel.  He takes down all three. 

#17 is Sparky Plugg, filling in for the 123 Kid.  I don't like his chances against the hosses. 

#18 is Shawn Michaels.  Diesel looks to pummel Shawn.  Shawn shakes his hand and Diesel gets jumped by everyone from behind.  Shawn helps push Diesel out.  Crowd chants 'Diesel' as he leaves.

#19 is Mo.  Shawn is almost eliminated a couple of times. 

#20 is Greg Valentine to a good pop. 

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
#21 is Tatanka.  He goes right after Michaels. 

#22 is The Great Kabuki.  Everyone (except Mo) teams up on Mabel and eliminates him. 

#23 is Lex Luger.  He eliminates Kabuki. 

#24 is Genichiro Tenryu.  Vince says you will see Tenryu, Kabuki, and Crush team up on Luger even though Kabuki just got eliminated.  Tenryu chops away on Luger.  Tatanka nearly gets Michaels out. 

#25 is Nobody.  Vince and Dibiase think it must be Bret Hart.

#26 is Rick Martel.  Tatanka and Luger fight in an early preview of Summerslam.  For a hired assassin who has one target, Tenryu doesn't seem that concerned about Luger.

#27 is Bret Hart to a huge pop, still selling the knee.  Crush immediately goes after the knee. 

#28 is Fatu.  Crush almost press slams Bret out, but Luger makes the save.  Tenryu is wandering around looking lost.  Luger, Sparky, and Bam Bam eliminate Crush.

#29 is Marty Jannetty.  He and Shawn go straight for each other. 

#30 is Adam Bomb.  Vince immediately declares that Adam Bomb is going to win.  Sparky is eliminated by Michaels.  Vince announces that Bastion Booger was #25 but he ate too much and got sick.  Nothing much happens for a long time, and then it seems like they get the go home signal because guys start flying out in rapid succession.  Martel eliminates Valentine.  Tatanka eliminates Martel.  Luger eliminates Adam Bomb.  Fatu eliminates Mo.  Dibiase criticizes Adam Bomb for doing so poorly with #30.  Bam Bam eliminates Tatanka to get revenge for earlier.  Luger eliminates Bam Bam.  Michaels eliminates Jannetty to establish who was the better Rocker yet again.  Tenryu finally goes after Luger, but gets caught by Bret and eliminated soon after.

Final Four:  Michaels, Bret, Luger, Fatu

Shawn and Bret trade near eliminations.  Fatu takes control of the ring.  Michaels leapfrogs Fatu and they both get eliminated.  Luger and Bret slug it out, and both go out at the 'same time' for the Rumbles only tie.  Luger clearly hit first, although that doesn't stop Vince from declaring Luger the winner.  Dibiase proclaims Bret the winner.  They each take turns being announced as the winner to gauge the crowd reaction.  Luger gets booed.  Bret gets huge cheers.  Tunney comes out a declares a tie, which pleases nobody.  Crowd chants 'We Want Bret.'  Good Rumble, up until the stupid ending.  We end with the classic Wrestlemania theme playing.  Bret and Luger shake hands.

This is a very polarizing show in terms of booking between the great Hart stuff and the horrendous Taker stuff and tie finish.  Overall it wasn't very satisfying though, and that World Title match was just so bad.  I have to say I prefer the more bland and inoffensive 1993 show to this one.

Best Match:  Harts/Quebecers
Worst Match:  Taker/Yoko

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:59:23 AM »
Wanted to put an old Rumble on this morning as I did stuff around the house before taking off for tonight's show.  Rumble 1994 was the first Rumble I really remember watching every week and seeing the build for and it is the 25th anniversary so I figured why not.

I'm up the Intercontinental Title match where they put the JR/Monsoon announce team on.  I know I saw this show years ago and saw this pairing other times long ago but looking back with the hindsight now, it is such an interesting team because it really feels like the meeting of two different eras of the WWF.

JR was just hyping Joe Montana's game tomorrow against the Buffalo Bills, guess I will have to see what happened there.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 03:52:05 AM »
I wonder how the Undertaker/Yokozuna match would be received if not for the supernatural bullshit. At its core the heel locker room exploits the No-DQ stipulation to give Yoko the win. It's an easy angle to buy, you can run an injury angle to give Undertaker a hiatus, nobody's intelligence is insulted.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 05:32:13 AM »
Sure, the crowd didn’t care much about Luger and people didn’t like the rumble finish, but it led to the Lex Express and Owen being even angrier about beating Bret only for Bret to come out and win the title later that night.

DTF

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
I wonder how the Undertaker/Yokozuna match would be received if not for the supernatural bullshit. At its core the heel locker room exploits the No-DQ stipulation to give Yoko the win. It's an easy angle to buy, you can run an injury angle to give Undertaker a hiatus, nobody's intelligence is insulted.

Honestly, up until they wheeled the casket down the aisle and smoke started coming out it was cheesy as fuck, but acceptable.  It was all the video wall stuff and Marty Jannetty being hoisted to the rafters that broke the goofy meter.  If they just opened the lid and Taker had vanished, it would have been fine.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »

I didn't think the match was bad at all until the supernatural stuff.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
They have a match on Global Warfare that I remember being alright for two guys who couldn't afford to lose.

Jannetty on wires was stupid, but everything before that I didn't mind as much. Biggest problem was Vince and Dibiase having to go from "what the fuck" to "the Rrrooooaylll Rumble!" A zombie just got murdered, show some respect.