Author Topic: WWE Network: Five years later  (Read 351 times)

Description:

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
WWE Network: Five years later
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
This week marks five years since the Network launched.  It was seen as a huge gamble at the time, but it seems like it can't be seen as anything but a success at this point.  Without the Network, NXT doesn't exist (at least not in it's current form) and you probably don't even have to like or watch a second of the current product to find it worthwhile due to the archives.  It also showed other promotions that something like this is feasible as pretty much every promotion worth a shit now has some sort of streaming service.

There's still stuff I'd like to see (MOAR PRIME TIME),  but I joined week one and really haven't felt the desire to cancel once since then, feelings on the current product be damned.

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: WWE Network: Five years later
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »
It's definatley an incredible value for the amount of content it yields, I'll say that much.

I've been an off-and-on subscriber for years. I let my account expire in 2017 and haven't looked back. I'll jump on it if the company offers a free promo but don't want to spend the money on it right now.

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »
I’ve been an on again off again subscriber since day one (recently popped up in my Facebook memories that the first thing I streamed was Great American Bash 2005).

The value is incredible and I really enjoy some of the original programs they’ve put out such as the earlier Countdowns,Legends House, more recently  Table for 3, Edge & Christian. Their 24 documentaries are always slickly produced. If this launched 10 years earlier Id probably spend a lot more time with the archives too.

A redesign of the interface would be nice it’s been the same since day one and would like a better search function.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
I’m probably cancelling after mania. I’d love for raw and smackdown to be on sooner than the 30 day wait we have now. I pretty much only use it when I’m bored for nxt and the ppvs which I usually fast forward.

Offline Gert

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
I've been a member since Day one, it has been a great value to me. I was usually a 2 to 4 PPV's a year guy, so it is a lot of money saved.

I agree with ClayDude that a new interface would be better, and I honestly think classic syndicated content should be added more frequently (mainly because I don't think people are going to say "holy shit I have to order WWE Network now because they added Superstars"). Don't get me wrong, I was excited about it, but I feel most people excited about it are already subscribers.

I wish they would do 1 to 2 specials per year like they used to do with Beast in the East, or MSG shows.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
I stopped buying WWE DVDs/Blu Rays after subscribing. I really like watching all the archives.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • CXF Writer
  • I'm BACK!
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
I love it, for obvious reasons. It's opened the door for me to start my blog. Plus, it facilitated the start of some great review podcasts like the Attitude Era Podcast and the New Generation Project.

The only gripe I have is it feels like they've forgotten about some older shows that they didn't finish uploading. They started uploading WCW Saturday Night, despite the fact they haven't finished World Championship Wrestling yet. There's still a nearly 3-year gap of episodes they haven't added.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaulDMatthews78
Read my old-school wrestling review blog here: http://culturecrossfire.com/author/laparkamycar/
Like and follow the Facebook page for my blog here: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWrestlingReview
Check out my t-shirt store here: https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/classicwrestlingreview

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
I've been an off-on subscriber but it's worth the cost solely for being able to re-watch Monday Night Raw from 1996-1999 and ECW's Hardcore TV (so much great stuff that I never knew about the promotion tucked away underneath the 'obvious'). Just being able to see the Raven/Dreamer feud week to week is fantastic.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 01:36:15 AM »
Have never lapsed in my subscription and I still watch it regularly. Easily worth the money for me.

I no longer have USA network so I wish Raw/Smackdown would come on sooner but I understand why that isn't the case and will never happen.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:13:36 AM »
They still gotta fix the Roku search function. I shouldn't have to look up Gavin Spears and just get Brock matches.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:07 AM »
I've been a subscriber since day one, never cancelled. It's nice to always have that ability to just pull something random on late at night to fall out to, and also I tend to revisit annual pay per views sometimes to lead up to a current one in a marathon leading up to the ppv that day. Just did that with watching old Chamber matches before the ppv last week.

I agree that a format change for the layout and look of the network is LONG overdue. Its been 5 years now and no shift on that. The network is easy to navigate but it certainly needs a different look at least on the front page when you login.

I think it could easily be said that if it wasnt for the network, for sure NXT would have never ever taken off like it has in 5 years. So there's value in it for the company well beyond the regular numbers for the network they get.

Now if they could get independent companies on board still.....I could see a hard push for that once AEW starts taking off with a weekly show.

Offline Next Big Comedy Star

• brock lock
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 05:40:39 AM »
I've actually only had it about a year, but I regret not getting it earlier moreso for the old PPV's and TV shows. They've really done a great job with all the hidden gems and stuff over the last year as well.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
I've actually only had it about a year, but I regret not getting it earlier moreso for the old PPV's and TV shows. They've really done a great job with all the hidden gems and stuff over the last year as well.

Hidden Gems is easily the best subcategory they have right now in terms of revisiting old content. Especially in the 80s/90s there is some incredible stuff there.

One other thing I havent fully done yet (but plan on it probably sooner than later if this shitty winter weather keeps up) is try to do a general recall on the major TV tapings/ppvs they have on the network from not just the E but WCW and ECW, etc that I attended. Then do a weekend marathon on all of that stuff to just see how the matches and angles held up.