Author Topic: Jushin Liger Retiring at WK 2020  (Read 309 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Jushin Liger Retiring at WK 2020
« on: March 06, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »

LIGER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If he feels its the right time then it is. Greatest junior heavyweight of ALLTIME.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
Re: Jushin Liger Retiring at WK 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
News like that requires it's own thread.  Even people with the most cursory knowledge of Japanese wrestling probably know who Liger is on his look alone.  Dude took a shitty anime gimmick and made himself a legend.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
So glad I saw him in person. Will again if NJPW comes back here before January.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
Yeah I absolutely should have made this a thread, my fault.

Jushin Liger is in my opinion the greatest junior heavyweight of all-time and one of the absolute greatest wrestlers ever. He is in his 50's and still able to have great matches when he needs to. He constantly adapted his style for not only the changing times and location, but his aging body and injuries. He came back from a brain tumor at one point.

The list of great Liger matches is endless but just a couple to start:

Liger Vs Naoki Sano, his first legendary rivalry
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x466uxi

The incredibly famous match with Muta where he first debuted his "beast god" form:

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
Liger is my favorite wrestler ever, and the GOAT Junior Heavyweight. I teared up a bit when I read this news. I really hope that he has a match at MSG, as I'll be there, and he deserves to be there.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »
My favorite Liger fact is that he is the only wrestler to appear in EVERY PWI 500 list.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:47:12 AM »
My favorite Liger fact is that he is the only wrestler to appear in EVERY PWI 500 list.

Mine is, until the G1 last year, he had wrestled at least one match a month for almost 23 straight years.

?lang=en

Offline Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »
An absolute legend. Dude has over 30 years of in-ring experience so he has nothing to be ashamed of. He popularized the shooting-star pressed and pushed the envelope of what small dudes can do in the ring.

I'm sad we never got that Mysterio/Liger match last year.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »
The whole reason I got into puro in the first place, with his series against Brian Pillman in 91/92.  That and WCW showing matches of his from Japan to hype his arrival planted the seeds of love for Japanese wrestling in my young brain, though it took a long time to grow with only magazines to rely on as a kid with no money or access to tape trading.   When he came back a few years later for the first Nitro and brought other NJ guys for the NJ/WCW feud of late 1995 though I was all over that, and then a couple years later when I finally got access to the internet he was the first wrestler outside of WWF and WCW that I sought info about.  That he can still put on such great and compelling matches nearly thirty fucking years after I first discovered him is something I can't even put into words

Next question I wonder is whether he's just retiring as a wrestler, or are they also going to retire the Liger character with him dropping the mask (not necessarily even in a match, just unmasking as part of his retirement) and he goes back to being regular Keiichi Yamada from then on

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 04:15:01 AM »
I'd make the argument that Liger as the GOAT Junior Heavyweight is doing him a disservice and just call him one of the greatest wrestlers ever, period. Next to Great Muta, Liger was my "introduction" to Japan style wrestling and made me an immediate fan of the NJPW light heavyweight style.

The more I've gone back into his catalog, the more impressive he's been considering the sheer length of his career and the hundreds of wrestlers he's fought against (alongside the variety of their styles yet he never felt out of place against anybody).

Liger/Sasuke at the Super J Cup '94 was one of his first matches where I was aware that Liger was head & shoulders above others.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:28 AM »
I'd make the argument that Liger as the GOAT Junior Heavyweight is doing him a disservice and just call him one of the greatest wrestlers ever, period. Next to Great Muta, Liger was my "introduction" to Japan style wrestling and made me an immediate fan of the NJPW light heavyweight style.

The more I've gone back into his catalog, the more impressive he's been considering the sheer length of his career and the hundreds of wrestlers he's fought against (alongside the variety of their styles yet he never felt out of place against anybody).

Liger/Sasuke at the Super J Cup '94 was one of his first matches where I was aware that Liger was head & shoulders above others.

That tournament is, arguably, the greatest tournament ever, and Liger vs Sasuke was the best match of it.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:51 AM »
All it took for me to love him forever was that Sasuke match, and Liger covering up Sasuke's botch to the point it elevated it further in my eyes.

This really sucks, but I'm happy he'll go on his own terms and not completely broken down. Liger represents everything truly fun about pro wrestling, and it sucks he's retiring, but I'm as happy for him as I am sad for myself. Thank god for the many, many years of matches to go back to and for the vast volume I haven't gotten to yet.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
Don't forget his awesome theme song! All hail the Beast God of Rage!

Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 08:21:29 AM »

Had to revisit this one to start my day.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »

Had to revisit this one to start my day.

Lol could you imagine being lucky enough to have been at that.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Next question I wonder is whether he's just retiring as a wrestler, or are they also going to retire the Liger character with him dropping the mask (not necessarily even in a match, just unmasking as part of his retirement) and he goes back to being regular Keiichi Yamada from then on

Super doubt it. I bet he'll still be all over NJPW doing commentary and training guys, some kind of role. He's also gotten more and more into doing Variety shows and things like that and taking the mask off would obviously really hurt his value. I also don't think anyone wants to see him unmask.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »
Don't forget his awesome theme song! All hail the Beast God of Rage!

I usually play NJPW themes in the car when I'm driving my daughter around since she loves them. She belts out Kaze Ni Nare, she can go with both RPG Vice and 3K, but her favorite theme is this. When she hears it start, she'll yell out "God beast of anger!!!"