Author Topic: Al Snow  (Read 285 times)

Description:

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Al Snow
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
He seems to have a weird rep in the business. A lot of old school guys think of him as a great worker who could do any style with a variety of workers.

But his main exposure to most people is Foley constantly referring to him as a literal piece of shit in his NYT bestseller. He was never given any real push in WWE. He seemed a bit small for the era, maybe. But he had charisma and could talk from what I remember. Might have been a better fit in WCW's cruiser division.

talk about al snow, itt

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
Re: Al Snow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
For some reason when I opened up this thread I was expecting to read that he died

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »
Me too

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »
From the OOC videos I've seen on him, both Tough Enough and in general at his school, he seems to be a treasure trove of knowledge from a training standpoint. From what I can see, if you have a love for this business, he'll be fair to you but if you're just in it for fame he will destroy you.

Also, Wendell.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
Al Snow is a guy who deserves all the respect in the world for his unseen 90s work (literally had the best match on a disastrously awful "before they were stars" DVD from the early 00s), how great the Head gimmick was, and his ability to train solid workers and shooters. Where he fails is in his self-righteousness later on, specifically a Kayfabe Commentaries shoot where he chewed Sean Oliver out for saying Steamboat/Savage was a better match than Hogan/Andre. That always left a bad taste in my mouth, seeing a guy whose lasting legacy among fans because of his workrate denounce workrate favorites, especially since the business has switched to where the talent fans love most are the workrate types.

He also had a fucking awful program with Joey Ryan, which isn't entirely his fault, buuuuut...

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »
He has some amazing insight into the industry judging from his recent sets of shoot interviews but he comes off as arrogant a lot of the time and tends to think too highly of himself.

As far as a wrestler, he was perfectly serviceable and had great character work. He was never going to draw but was needed in a lower-tier role.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:28:03 AM »
I also thought he did or was going to jail when this thread popped up.

I’ve heard the high opinion stuff on him a lot.  Even some that surprised me like Bischoff selected him as a top pick for behind the scenes guy for an upstart company during an interview recently.  What’s weird to me is despite all this, if there is some bigger story to him not being back in the WWE mix.  With all the random guys they brought back, I don’t recall him burning any bridges, unless he is just happy with his own school and clothing line.  Just seems like a guy, especially since his Impact affiliation ended, that would’ve even popped up in a cameo on some show or Network special.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:32:41 AM »
2019's version of Al Snow is one of those guys who understands and can articulate the business better than anybody out there, but is still past his time and doesn't understand the current wants of the audience. He can explain to you psychology and character development, but isn't in tune with what the current fanbase likes by the way he talks down to them.

I saw on twitter last week after Keith Flint died a clip of Al Snow coming out at an ECW show to "Breathe" and the crowd had mannequin heads and was going crazy. When I see stuff like that, I think a guy like Al Snow with that character would be huge on the indie scene right now.

DTF

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »
But his main exposure to most people is Foley constantly referred to him as a literal piece of shit in his NYT bestseller.

I don't think Foley had a low opinion of Snow as much as it was easy to rag on him, and Foley seemed to indicate that himself in the book.

Snow was a competent wrestler. He wrestled on the indies forever before he finally landed on his feet in Smoky Mountain. The ECW run pushed him above his station and I don't think he was great, but he wasn't a bad wrestler to have around either.

Offline Next Big Comedy Star

• brock lock
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
He was probably at his best ringwork wise in Smokey Mountain. Very good heel there and carried a green Glen Jacobs to a fun tag team run.

Otherwise, I've always been sort of eh on Al Snow.