Author Topic: The Sopranos: Rewatch  (Read 28861 times)

Description: He killed 16 Czechoslovakians

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
The Sopranos: Rewatch
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
I created this in GTG solely because I can do this in a blog type format and on my own time without like, people expecting me to send one of these out all the time. Plus GTG is the closest thing we've got to a blog. If this all turns out good I'll move it and if not whatever. Some will be done in a liveblog format, some in a more analytical type of deal. This shit might get deep.

I plan to start tomorrow by watching the pilot. I don't remember that much of it.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Re: The Sopranos: Rewatch
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »
It's not a home, it's a RETIREMENT COMMUNITY

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
Spoiler on the ending:

Spoiler: show

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
just watch this

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Forget you, bloodsucker.

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
just watch this

I say oh in this fashion all the time.

PILOT

- The first time I watched this show, I knew it was legit 8 minutes in when Tony chases the fucker outside of the office building complex and run him over. I'LL GIVE YOU A FUCKIN BONE YOU PRICK, WHERE'S MY FUCKIN MONEY, then Christopher starts whining over his car and I can't stop laughing at that as well as IT'S A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY and so what, no fuckin ziti now? Endless quotables in this episode which I can't say about most pilots.

- Always hated Hesh. It's not so bad in this episode, but in later episodes that he's around for, I can't stand him. He may be the only somewhat major character in the show who has no redeeming qualities.

The first half of the episode is much better than the latter half. I like how Chris turns from soulless etherer of Czechs in this episode to being annoyed about a lack of recognition over it, to then in later episodes freaking out and going through the "oh fuck I really killed a guy and I'm haunted" stage. The lack of Tony having the cartoon character accent is a bit weird too. All in all, I realize why I didn't remember a whole lot in this episode.

There are a couple of these I'm not looking forward to rewatching but I don't think any are this season.

P.S HBO GO streams like shit for me when I'm using other sites instead of solely watching the program so liveblogging isn't a realistic format. That's pretty much dead in the water, I can do stream of consciousness and then post it later, but that's pretty much it :(

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
46 LONG

- It's great when the truck driver asks Chris and Filone to make sure he doesn't walk away unscathed, then they beat the shit out of him and don't bother with tying him up.

- Tony throwing Filone out after the terrible chemo-sabe joke was good. The visual of porkchops flying everywhere will not subside anytime soon.

- Eddie! I GOT FUCKIN JOHNNIE COCHRAN RIGHT HERE FOR YOU

- Tony's mom running over her friend was hilarious and so was fake Scorsese.

- Bodie holding up the truck driver with Filone was weird. This is a worlds colliding scenario here.

- And Tony beating up the bartender at the Bing MikeSC's girl style caps off a great episode.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
I rewatched the entire Sopranos shortly after it ended.  I've probably seen every ep 3 times.  I don't think I'll be up for it again for a long time, too much other stuff on backlog or deserving of rewatch

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
DENIAL, ANGER, ACCEPTANCE

- This storyline with the Jews is just weird. YOU'RE CREATING A GOLEM. Paulie beating the Jew guy over the head with the bell is the best thing yet. "FUCK THAT. THIS IS HOW I SAY NOTHIN. HOW'S THAT FOR NOTHIN."

- Tony supplying with the private party was pretty cool.

- His rant about Jackie's cancer and what subsequently followed about the painting was epic control-freak shit.

- Artie's my favorite not mobbed up character. I may take that shit back two or three times. Food fight's good.

- Chris begging for his life and subsequently Filone getting iced is real. Hijack, bye jack

Great show

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »
I go back forth all the time between this and the Shield as the GOAT.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
- His rant about Jackie's cancer and what subsequently followed about the painting was epic control-freak shit.

- Artie's my favorite not mobbed up character. I may take that shit back two or three times.

What's the thing with the painting? I don't remember that at all.

I lol'd at the second line. You will definitely take that back once you see Adriana in her bra and panties.

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:42:37 AM »
He kept going on about the painting in the waiting room being a psychological painting. He exploded after a while.

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »
MEADOWLANDS

- Tony's dream of seeing everyone in the doctor's office building was just weird, then to see it really happen later the first time I watched it was mindblowing.

- Chris with the neckbrace and all the goings on with him being paranoid are hilarious. Offering to buy Meadow a happy meal is the highlight. Then OH SHIT BRENDAN'S EYE GOT PUT OUT DURING HIS MURDER WTF

- When Tony staples the ticket to that fag Mikey that's that shit.

LOL

Then when he inadvertently scared that dude while holding the ax it is the shit too.

- Also hilarious to see AJ get the mafia secret revealed to him and then be mindblown the rest of the episode.

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
COLLEGE

- "What do they teach you in India, how not to get diarrhea?"

- Nice to see Irina being a crazy bitch revealed in the midst of everything else that goes on here.

- Tony doing surveillance on this dude is amazing.

- This priest preying on Carmela's attraction to him in order to get great meals and watch movies all the time is pretty swag.

- The chicken game between Tony and the rat was pretty great. I love how, as with everyone else Tony kills, they show the bad side of the person before the murder. In this case, he's a drug dealing fuck.

Great murder

This was one of my favorite episodes, but I never understood why people call this one the best. It still isn't mine, but I do now.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
Yeah this is considered one of the classics. Very good episode.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
He was a drug dealer? I thought he was a bad dude solely because of the fact that he was a rat.

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:42 AM »
Yeah, remember he tried to get those white trash to kill Tony by threatening them with never selling them drugs again.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
Ahh okay, I didn't remember that but now that you mention it the scene is clear in my head.

David Chase was awesome at maximizing value out of seemingly innocuous lines/scenes to reveal deep and important character traits. Furio beating the shit out of some kid for playing with fireworks, Silvio beating the shit out of the stripper, Carmela telling Tony she'll donate the money to Columbia despite the Shrink telling her to leave him, etc.

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
PAX SOPRANA

- This cop with the wrinkled ass suit cracks me up. Get some dry cleaning dawg

- "With all the conversation around here I might as well be a fuckin' dildo"

- Tony's dream with Dr. Melfi where "What Time Is It?" plays is hilarious. The I love you bomb later was just....weird

- Tony, the Jew, and JOHNNY SACK running game on Junior was pretty good.

lol

- I always love in mob movies/shows the scenes where it's made clear to someone that they didn't see nothin'.

- The bit with the waiter and his camera scheme was nice too. This episode's just okay I suppose.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
We should do this project for HBO's OZ!
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• Admin
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
DOWN NECK

First AJ-centered story, one of my favorites.

- LOL at wine stealing and then the kid falling down and puking everywhere

- These flashbacks to Tony's childhood are amazing. My favorite parts are younger Livia, young Junior and Johnny fucking up that dude, Tony stowing away in his dad's trunk, and black kids fuckin' with little Tony.

- Livia always talking shit about the old people at the nursing home RETIREMENT COMMUNITY gets me rollin

- Tony calling Janice a wannabe-dothead is p. funny

- Tony saying his dad was in jail and people covered by saying he was in Montana being a cowboy made me lose it to the point of uncontrollable laughter.

- "They are not going anywhere! I'd rather smother them with a pillow than take them to Nevada!" That's some crazy shit.

Here are most of the flashback scenes.

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
THE LEGEND OF TENNESSEE MOLTISANTI

This is one of my favorites.

- Chris going on his freaked out over being a murder episodes is a TRIP. It's kinda sad that when Tony tries to address possible mental issues, Chris just laughs it off as something that is beneath him when those things are pretty important to Tony's current state.

- Chris's screenplay is one of the wackest things I've ever seen produced. "I thought I was daed but I manuged to get the drip on him." What kind of English is this. It's also pretty enlightening how bad he wants to be famous, have a name, and be part of the mix. At least he gets the payoff at the end and the moment where he takes all the papers is cool. Also, "my advice? Put that thing down awhile. We go get our joints copped, the words will come blowin' out your ass." And, "you know who had an arc? Noah."

- "Geno" from the bakery gets recast as Vito later, but my favorite part of that whole scene was Chris going apeshit and shooting the white boy in the foot. JUST LIKE IMPERIOLI GETS SHOT IN GOODFELLAS

- Love how Tony and Carmela hide the guns, money and shit at his mom's crib. Oddly dramatic scene.

- The comedian at the retirement community is BEYOND terrible.

Best one so far.

• Admin
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
BOCA

- "You blow that whistle one more time I'm gonna stick it right up your fuckin' ass"

- This shit with the girl wrist-slitting is crazy, and how it ties in with the coach leaving. Paulie saying his name was Clarence while dropping off the TV had me rollin', but I remember being pretty surprised at the coach fuckin' wrist-slitter girl. Some straight out Sandusky shit before its time.

- Pussy eating storyline is hilarious. So many good quotes I'll post a video. "I don't go down enough," replied to in the fashion of "that's not what I heard" is a major highlight.

- "Uncle Jun's into muff. Oh, did I say muff, I meant rough."

- Then Artie says "fuck the world" and I just lose it for the whole rest of the episode. Him as moral compass is a good turn of events.

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
A HIT IS A HIT

Before I watch this one again, I seem to remember hating it. Let's see how that plays out.

- Clipping the Colombian and taking all his dough is some cold shit.

- This storyline with Massive Genius and the music making and Hesh is just horrific. I have very little good to say about it. The best part was Chris saying "whose welfare check to you have to cash to get a burger around here?" And that's pretty much it.

- When Chris smashes guitar over dude's back, I liked that part, but it was so poorly acted when the actor just turned his back to Chris like a poor pro wrestler. Wrestlers do better guitar shots than this.

- The way the white dudes try to exploit Tony for storytelling purposes is really disgusting.

- Giving Cooz the box with nothing in it was a great gag.

I think it's a bad episode, even one of the worst, but there are a few good moments. Very few.

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
Four of these today was p. fun.

NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING

- Forgot that this opens at the whorehouse. WTF some doctor comes in during Pussy's back episode wearing part of a French maid outfit. Weirdo shit there.

- Pussy getting arrested on a legit charge was something I never expected at this stage. Then Tony gets told he's a rat and just refuses to believe it for all that time. It's pretty obvious to the viewer Pussy was a rat all along considering how he was arrested (or not arrested at all). First he runs out the room which, you know, makes total sense if you're a rat, you wouldn't want the feds to let anything slip. Then he runs when he supposedly has a fucked up back. That doesn't make any sense. But of course, I'd never believe something like that about my best friend, so it makes sense Tony wouldn't either.

- Livia's hysterics w/r/t her relationship with Junior are hilarious. She is just out THERE.

- All of these scenes about Pussy from now until end of 2nd season are deep. The one here, where Paulie offers to do the deed, isn't even the best one in the episode. Can't believe Paulie's car horn is The Godfather theme. When Paulie tells him to take off his clothes is one of the most tense scenes in the whole series.

- Vin getting busted during the whorehouse raid and then diving off the bridge changes the show in so many different ways. Imagine how it would have been if he didn't end himself. Obviously him saying Tony was a prick until the end during one of the bordello scenes was a giveaway that he was going to die.

- Can't understand why Tony's mom would do him wrong like this. Then she tries to smooth it over by saying she doesn't like that kind of talk. Wah bullshit.

- Now it's super obvious this dumb motherfucker Jimmy was a rat, trying to ask leading questions and all that stupid shit. Glad this retard rat fuck gets clipped later. Too bad everyone else doesn't realize Pussy is a rat too until a bit later. Plus Pussy disappears after the gym incident which was, you know...fishy.

- This stupid fag Mikey, nearly all of his bits annoy me. I'm glad this guy only had one season cause he could have been Cifaretto levels of annoying, although in a much different way. Btw his wife is fucking stupid.

Videos:

This one has more stuff going on in it than the last two combined. One of the best episodes.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 04:31:35 AM »
Loved that Vin flashed his badged just to speed up his suicide.

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »
ISABELLA

- Find out that Pussy disappears which, may have been better to be viewed rather than otherwise leaning about it out of Tony's mouth.

- Tony took too many damn pills

- Junior puking over the Tony thing was kinda embarrassing. Then the clown who set up the deed gets iced in a hilarious fashion after cracking a joke. Wow.

- I knew all along that this hot chick was a complete hallucination. In a re-watch, knowing that, the scenes are pretty weird.

- When he shifts from depressed to fighting for his life during the assassination attempt is a pretty interesting change in the series. At least the one guy misses before Tony crashes into the parked cars.

- Livia and Junior's visit to Tony's crib was mad awkward.

- AJ chaperoned to the dance by Paulie and Silvio was the funniest part of this episode.

Video:

At least there were no distracting storylines in this one. Real good.

• Admin
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
I DREAM OF JEANNIE CUSAMANO

- The Jimmy getting clipped part is great. If you're a rat, why would you go into the room to fuck a broad, after one of the broads leaves the room? It's typically dumb. MOTHER OF GOD and there go his brains

- Livia showing up while AJ was jerking off is some amazing sick shit. Then that shit where she calls Meadow some crazy Aunt bitch whatever word.

- Tony freaking out on Melfi by flipping the table and shit is messed up. Can't believe she ever let him go back after that one. Like a victim.

- Jimmy with rat in the mouth lol

- Greengrove being wired was something I remember as a major revelation. Even surprised me now as I had forgot about this scene.

- Artie finding out about the fire scheme at Vesuvio from Tony's mom is cold on her part, but whoa shit later when he ran up on Tony with a rifle I thought he was dead man walking in the next season. Good thing it didn't turn out that way.

- Chris phoning in a bomb scare to Jimmy's funeral is ice cold.

- "Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this" LOL

- damn iced that fool on his own boat and then donned a captain's hat before putting him in the ocean

- "You never mentioned any of your associates by name except for that one fellow Booty" hahahahahaaha

- Artie saying he has murderous rage, not that he just hates one man, but all men cracks me up.

- Paulie of all people seeing a shrink is just as funny too.

- Mikey's death, where he tells his wife to go take a Midol as his last words to her, is one of most oddly filling things I've seen on TV to this day. Paulie freaking out over poison ivy made it even better.

- Indictments going out and Junior being one of them made a top episode even BETTER.

- Despite my saying it was pretty swag to prey on women's sexual attractions to get free food I love when Carmela calls Father Phil out on that cause it's really pretty disgusting. I like how that fool walks toward the door and then has to turn around in shame and go back for the movie.

- Tony's mom's convenient stroke and then her appearing to have a smile was pretty disgusting. I mean that's open to interpretation but her face clearly changes shape.

- It's great how, much like everyone else, Artie won't turn Tony away either. Also Paulie having calamine lotion all over his shit was great.

Theoretically if this was a one season show it would have been perfect even as that. I had a different favorite episode heading in but this may even trump that. I dunno yet. I'll see about that in a while. Wow I wrote a lot of stuff.

Videos:

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
GUY WALKS INTO A PSYCHIATRIST'S OFFICE...

- I love how Chris assigned some Asian dude to take his stockbroker's exam. The "It Was A Very Good Year" montage that follows is excellent, with Chris diving into the coke, Paulie screwing the broad on the pool table...

- Pussy coming back and expecting to be trusted immediately is just....I don't know how exactly to describe how I feel about that. The Puerto Rico claim was ridiculous, even though it checked out.

- Then Janice, the absolute worse gets introduced, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. She is an unbelievable, horrible, disgusting leech.

- "Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself." How prescient.

- There's a long period without anything important happening, then Tony's CD skips, he has a panic attack, and then everything picks back up. I like that he goes on to beg Melfi to return and help treat him. I like that he tried to find a different guy and called himself Mr. Spears but obviously that wasn't gonna work out.

Video:

Not a great episode, glad it picks up from here.

• Admin
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
DO NOT RESUSCITATE

- This storyline with the black preacher is a pretty good one. I was a little surprised to find out that the whole thing was part of a scam.

- Bobby was a great addition to the show, love that there's no end to the weight jokes and all that other shit.

- Love how Pussy immediately starts off lying to his FBI contact.

- lol Junior in the judge's office on oxygen. No surprise the Jewish judge got mad after his "sounds like Nazi Germany" comment.

- "I think it's time for you to start seriously considering salads" hahahahahaha

- The protest busting part is really messed up, but Baccala beating on some guy and running out of breath was p. funny.

- Tony having to drive Junior to the hospital after carrying him like a child was a nice bit.

This was more the set-up variety type episode, it's not too great, but I'm really looking forward to watching the next one when it picks up again.

• Admin
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
TOODLE-FUCKING-OO

- Having an empty house to party in during high school would have been the shit.

- YES THE DEBUT OF THE RAGING ASSHOLE RICHIE APRILE ohhhhh shitttttt BASHES BEANSIE OVER THE HEAD WITH A FUCKIN HOT COFFEE POT AND CHAIR THAT'S HARDCORE. "Look kid, I shouldn't have to explain myself. I'm from the old-school. You wanna raise your hand, you give her your last name. Then it's none of my fuckin' business. Until then, keep your hands in your pockets. We understand each other?"

- Melfi seeing Tony with all his boys was a hilarious scenario. lol'd at toodle-oo, everyone hanging on Tony's approval was amazing, then Paulie asking Silvio about his first blowjob and how long it took the guy to cum was a GOAT Sopranos moment. When he repeats these jokes I lose it.

- Richie and Janice is an all-time two bad people couple.

- I like how the Richie-Tony relationship immediately starts off horribly. Everything's better that way.

- That mooch bitch hypocrite gets all pissed when she sees the house is a wreck. Fuck her and the sudden want for punishment. Tony throwing his cereal bowl was great character play, such good acting that I believe Gandolfini may be a rage-head.

- Oh no this stupid asshole from the old folks home doing his comedy act. Glad he gets cut off cause it's unbearable.

- Oh no RICHIE RUNS OVER BEANSIE WHAT AN ASSHOLE HOW COULD HE

- The Meadow cooking scene is mad disgusting + "No Scrubs" playing in the background just...wow. Tony and Carmela are massively soft on punishment, which, well...makes total sense considering their situation.

- That dream of Melfi's where Tony passes out and gets in an accident, when I first saw this show, I thought it was legit until the moment where Tony was splayed out on the hood of his SUV. That was a nearly deep moment.

- "Well, you remember one thing this you'd better hear! You want a talk of this old school bullshit about the rules?! Well here's a rule you might remember. I'm the motherfuckin' fuckin' one who calls the shots! And you better pay me the respect, that I gave your brother. Or we're gonna have a problem....a bad one." DAMN HE WENT HAM ON RICHIE

Videos:

Amazing episode, best introduction for any one character...ever, maybe in any show.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »

- Melfi seeing Tony with all his boys was a hilarious scenario. lol'd at toodle-oo, everyone hanging on Tony's approval was amazing, then Paulie asking Silvio about his first blowjob and how long it took the guy to cum was a GOAT Sopranos moment. When he repeats these jokes I lose it.

Paulie zinging someone and immediately repeating it to Tony is my favorite running gag. It should've happened at least four times each season.

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
COMMENDATORI

- I love how Paulie breaks the DVD player with his shoe.

- Fucked up how the carjacking victims dog runs away from them rather than back to them and wtf at "fucking niggers" what a typically white reaction to a carjacking.

- Ha at Pussy nearly getting caught with his FBI agent buddy at a PARTY STORE. AH AND THEN HE KILLS THE ELVIS LOOKIN DUDE WITH A HAMMER IN HIS OWN HOUSE

- Also ha at how many times "Con te partirĂ²" plays during this episode. A trip to Italia was something I thought would happen in this show, but never in the second season. It was great timing. Anyway, the Don being senile and naming roadways was a good reversal of what I had expected. This Annalisa has amazing tits btw

- Chris's descension into junkie fuck mode this season is equally frustrating and interesting.

- Damn the way all those mafiosos (incl. Furio) wrecked that kid was hardcore.

Unfortunately the episode goes WAY downhill from here, Paulie turning out to hate the Neapolitan lifestyle is one of the only highlights from a strict entertainment perspective. Still a good episode but not one of my favorites.

Video:

• Admin
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Paulie zinging someone and immediately repeating it to Tony is my favorite running gag. It should've happened at least four times each season.

Yep, mine too and I think that video's the best one of them all.

• Admin
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY

-The beginning of this episode, at a rub and tug let me know I'm watching a great one about um, 20 seconds after the intro. Just knew that fast the first time. Shoving a paint brush up the owner's nose was hilarious.

- Paulie's response to baby quail stuffed with fennel sausage was a really good gay joke (which is quite rare).

- Damn Tony threw the phone over Janice's bullshit at AJ straight past Carmela's face that's ice cold/really crazy. Then he doesn't even say sorry to AJ which is really fucked up.

- All these scenes with Richie and Tony have an enormous amount of tension and awkwardness that I can't quite put into words. Richie may be Tony's best foil of all.

- Furio's introduction to American life at the party is amazing. My favorite part is when Junior and Baccala show up only for Carmela to straight out slam the fucking door right in their faces.

- This thing where Tony tries to talk to Hesh about his problems as if Hesh is a medical professional is just ridiculous. Last guy I'd want to talk to about ANYTHING.

- Chick who plays Irina is obscenely hot, but the best thing about this scene is when Tony runs over to the Russian dude and grabs his balls. Tony needs some damn pills.

- Chris's acting job is really deep, I don't understand if his crying was because he longed to be out of the mod game and an actor instead, or if Adriana's explanation is the truth of the matter, but I'm not sure. However, I do understand why he decides to take the route he chose later in the episode.

- I love how cool everyone is to Pussy, give him no info, freeze him out, don't trust him. Of course it's the right thing to do considering that he runs straight to his buddy and rats everything out.

- Furio in the rub and tug is WHOA SHIT BEATIN AND SHOOTIN EVERYONE IN HIS PATH THAT'S CRAZY WRECKIN EM JUST LIKE HE DID THAT KID IN NAPLES

- LOL at Chris punching that dude in the face at the acting class.

- Tony having that shit-eating grin on his face during his appointment this episode was...chilling I suppose.

- Chris trashing his screenplay and all associated materials was...sad, but I get it. It seems as if he's getting rid of that part of his life because he prefers to be more unemotional than he was when he put his first real try at acting.

Videos:

This episode is the best character study in the whole series yet and does a great job of advancing everyone forward, it also has the best ending in the series to this point.  I don't often see it on the best lists, but maybe it should be.

• Admin
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
THE HAPPY WANDERER

- Robert Patrick as a degenerate gambler who gets stepped on repeatedly is not only interesting casting but a weird role change for him and something I'm not used to seeing from him.

- Junior telling stories about Tony's dad is always entertaining. Finding out Tony has a retarded uncle was...interesting.

- I particularly enjoy Chris's matchbook scam on the seafood bought for the Big Game. Nifty!

- lol and the Jew motel makes its return for this. I like it.

- When this fucker shows up and begs into the card game all that went through my head the first time I watched this was "please Richie show up and go off the rails"

- When Tony tells the Matt guy to sweep under Silvio, his later reaction is fucking unbelievable.

"Leave the fuckin' cheese there! All right? I love fuckin' cheese at my feet! I stick motherfuckin' provolone in my socks at night, so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning! All right? So leave the fuckin' cocksuckin' cheese WHERE IT IS!"

- Oh man when Richie shows up and this dude is in for 45k to Tony you just know some shit is gonna go down. Then it does and the whole game gets ruined how dramatic. Can't believe this fool thought he wouldn't have to pay Tony all that scrilla. Then it bleeds over into Tony's personal life which is exactly why Tony didn't want dude in the game in the first place. Of course Tony has to fuck this guy up because he's that level of degenerate piece of shit. I feel bad for David but he did this shit to himself.

- Taking his kid's car to give to Tony was really hardcore, Tony presenting the car to Meadow was totally fucked up. In the end Meadow profits off the mayhem in spite of her initial recalcitrance because she gets to perform a solo at the musical thing which she needed for college. And so it goes.

Videos:

This episode shows the viewer how ruthless Tony has to be and what effect real people like him with those practices have on other people's lives. I get that the guy would find another way to gamble, but still. It's a good episode, not one of the best, and different in that it shows the other side of a mafioso lifestyle (meaning those who get caught up in it).

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
Next up is the best episode!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

- Junior telling stories about Tony's dad is always entertaining. Finding out Tony has a retarded uncle

Why don't you go and fuck yourself! He was strong as a fucking bull! And handsome. Like George Raft.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
Next up is the best episode!

D-Girl? Nah. It's great, and I really like the juxtaposition of Christopher and Pussy at the end. Christopher making the decision to finally commit, and Pussy telling stories about how great Tony is while simultaneously realizing that he's fucking him over and ruining his own life is pretty touching. Seeing him cry is heart wrenching, but then seeing the blankness of the FBI agent listening in is actually kind of funny. Anyway, a lot of the movie stuff didn't connect with me. There are plenty of better episodes throughout the series imo.

Something else that will come to light is how EVERYONE who cooperates with the FBI gets fucked, and also how all of the FBI agents are callous and treat them like evidence for a case rather than people. It's sickening to see them constantly have no disregard for their well-being. In the first episode of the third season, the way they casually wonder what happened to Pussy and his Agent saying "he's probably compost" is disconcerting in how little attachment they have. I remember seeing the last episode of the second season and expecting fallout in that episode from the perspective of the FBI in some way. But dedicating ten seconds of conversation before simply taking his picture off the board is ice cold.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
Something else that will come to light is how EVERYONE who cooperates with the FBI gets fucked, and also how all of the FBI agents are callous and treat them like evidence for a case rather than people. It's sickening to see them constantly have no disregard for their well-being. In the first episode of the third season, the way they casually wonder what happened to Pussy and his Agent saying "he's probably compost" is disconcerting in how little attachment they have. I remember seeing the last episode of the second season and expecting fallout in that episode from the perspective of the FBI in some way. But dedicating ten seconds of conversation before simply taking his picture off the board is ice cold.

You have to remember that they consider informants to be worthless criminal pieces of shit who are only useful insofar as they give them info on other criminal pieces of shit. And, I mean, to a certain degree, they're right.

• Admin
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm about to watch D-Girl but I don't think it's the best (although I think it is top ten, I will have to list later). The biggest problem I have with it is that they picked up an already perfectly shelved storyline (Chris and the movie thing).

Pussy is an asset to them, not a person. That's how law enforcement treats all individuals, not just criminals. Nobody is a person.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
The "wow it's so rough how the FBI treats their informants" angle is another way that this show fucks with your sympathies as a viewer. It openly tempts you to take Pussy's side, despite the fact that he's an objectively terrible human being.

• Admin
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
D-GIRL

- When Chris walks over there to put that fucker who bumped into Amy in his place, pure swag.

- lol at Tony pointing out he had to pick up AJ from camp for bed wetting two years previous. His existentialist bend in this episode is interesting.

- It's symbolic that Pussy's house is next to a cemetery. Good scene placement that each time he speaks during this meeting with Skip, you can see the graves in the background and know that he is marching towards a fate of death himself.

- Favreau's self-parody act in this episode is really nice.

- One thing that agitates (I'm not sure if that's the right word) me throughout the course of this show is how wiseguys are exploited for their entertainment value. His story about the trans was interesting in that from his point of view the important part of the story was the wiseguy's retaliation to finding out the chick was a guy rather than from a regular perspective where the victim would be the one who had acid poured all over themself.

- Pussy and his kid's interactions with Tony at the batting cage were intriguing. "Nigga be a leader not a follower" was a good choice for his line during that whole part.

- AJ telling Livia about the car accident and her repeating of the car accident she read about in the paper led to an interesting set of words that I found to be 100% accurate. Odd that I agree with the rantings of a loon but I guess that's how it turns out. Old people be wise.

- Jon getting all mad and scared when Chris was play wrestling with him was interesting considering his whole form of interactions with Christopher were part of his long con  in using him for his own benefit. The boredom with Chris's regular life dripped off him during the whole dinner scene with Ade, Tony, and Carmela. The first time I saw it I knew it (his movie hopes) would all end in tears for Chris.

- As already mentioned earlier in this topic, the callousness of the FBI agents towards their informants is enlightening, as well as callous and realistic, but in the end it is no different than the wiseguys's attitudes towards those who they make a habit of extorting and sucking into their web, so I don't feel very sympathetic for them, in this case Pussy, when they meet their inevitable end.

- Chris catching on to the thieving of his story about the trans was heavy. At that moment it was a realization on his part that other businesses, including that which he wanted to be a part of, were no less criminal than the one he wanted to leave.

- If Pussy's son hadn't have been there to stop the fight, he would have killed Angie no doubt. That was one of the best scenes this season.

- I couldn't believe Pussy took the same route of a Jimmy Altieri and went straight into his house asking fishy ass questions. I mean, Tony had blind faith in this dude until the end and he just shit all over him like that under the guise of self-preservation. His extolling the virtues of Tony to AJ was touching, realizing how fucked he was after doing so, even more so than that.

- It's nice that Chris made his decision to commit to Tony without any bullshit dialogue, that was good writing as well as directing. The scene would have been worse with anything else in it.

Videos:

It's one of the best in a different sense than the other episodes, the others I would rate at the top have a more of an "oh shit this happened" type slant, while this is of the deeper, more thought provoking variety. Right now I still think Pine Barrens is the best one, that obviously could change.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
"I'm the kid's sponsor for Christ sake"
"Who the fuck is sponsoring you motherfucker?"

I love these recaps but seriously even the episodes you think aren't great I could re-watch until the end of time. Sopranos 1-3 is heaven.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
The "wow it's so rough how the FBI treats their informants" angle is another way that this show fucks with your sympathies as a viewer. It openly tempts you to take Pussy's side, despite the fact that he's an objectively terrible human being.

Well David Chase talked about this, and the hypocrisy of the viewer wanting Tony to die. We cheered him on for years, through every murder and stripper he fucked on the side, not to mention how many times he double crossed people that were supposed to be his friends. But then at the end people wanted him to die? Didn't make sense, he had a good point. But then we do cheer for these people throughout the series, because while they're thugs and murderers, we still get to see them as people in their day to day lives. We accept the rules they live by, and judge them according to THAT standard.

You have to remember that they consider informants to be worthless criminal pieces of shit who are only useful insofar as they give them info on other criminal pieces of shit. And, I mean, to a certain degree, they're right.

To a certain degree, sure. But the thing is they are still regular people at the end of the day who think and feel the same way as everyone else. Tony still gets upset when he thinks about the ducks leaving, he cares for his daughter to go to a good school and he doesn't want his son to end up a loser. Junior befriends that Asian kid at the Mental ward in a genuine "Big brother" kinda way, Bobby Bacala genuinely cares for his wife and hell Pussy genuinely cares for his dog. I mean yeah, they live in a different world and they've hardened themselves to live by those rules, but outside of that world they seem to try to be good people. They take advantage of people that live in the same world as them, and even step over that line from time to time. But for the most part they're pretty much like any middle class family from Jersey. That's the cool thing about the Kevin Finnerty episode, that could have really been Tony if he wanted it. I'm not excusing their criminality at all, merely saying that it's not so black and white and that they aren't necessarily defined by it. C'mon man, criticize a guy like Paulie all you want for who he is, but if you had the opportunity to be this guy's friend irl without any risk of getting caught up in mafia shit who would say no? The guy looks like he'd be jokes and super fun.

Re: The FBI, 909 is right. They look at people as a means to an end goal, not necessarily as criminal pos. They are amoral in their own way, they live in a world where certain rules and procedures have to be abided by to gain favour and 'win' (remember that FBI agent showing his own racist asshole nature by complaining about a "Goddamn Samoan" getting promotion over him, he doesn't think much differently from these guys). They don't give a shit about anything but the end goal, and in a way they are just as unscrupulous in getting there. Fat Italian Agent.doesn't give a shit about what Pussy does or who he hurts, it's all about making arrests and getting gold stars and getting a promotion. His beef with Pussy killing Bevilacqua had nothing to do with the murder itself, just that it could have jeopardized his case. That's p. cold. They never genuinely seem to care about making the world a better place, merely that they make arrests so that they can further their careers. They aren't that different in mentality from a lot of members in the mafia, it's just that obviously the consequences of their actions aren't as bad.

Except for Adrianna, which was the straw that broke the camel's back for me wrt the FBI. Say what you would about the other guys getting fucked like Eugene and Pussy, and I'd say you can justify it because they were made guys who chose that lifestyle and are thugs. But Adrianna was innocent in the whole thing. They manipulated her and put her in a bad spot so that she would be forced to either go to jail or work with them, and as a result of working with them she was murdered. They never gave a shit about her along the way and never bothered to help her. Essentially, they caused her to die by forcing her hand. She was never a criminal like the rest so I don't think it can be justified.

It's interesting contrasting this with guys like McNulty and Cedric Daniels from the Wire, and especially Bunny Colvin. They always wanted to pull kids from the street and generally clean shit up. McNulty tried to help Bodie get out of it, he was always understanding of the kids on the street unlike that dipshit with a crewcut and goatee who always wanted to bust skulls. Daniels wanted to help that kid with the busted eye among others and Bunny even adopted Weebey's kid. Totally different mentality.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
Bullshit Adriana was innocent.  Adriana chose that lifestyle as much as any of those mafia guys.  She was the niece of Jackie & Richie, she knew what was going on, and still was fine dating Christopher, and later becoming his fiancee.  She had no problem living that life & accepting that blood money.  Was it sad to see what happened to her?  Yeah.  But let's not kid ourselves here.

• Admin
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
Yep, she wasn't innocent. The way Silvio took her out in the end didn't sit well with me.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
What crime did she commit? She loved Christopher, but she actually hated the fact that he was in the mafia. She wasn't into him for his money or lifestyle, she tried multiple times to get him out of it. She would have been happy living with him in a shack without anyone else if she could. She tolerated what he did more than loved it. You guys are being a bit callous here.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 02:42:53 AM »
She was guilty of lying to herself, of being willfully blind to Christopher's true character, of convincing herself that he loved her as much as she loved him and that love could be the catalyst that would make him change his life. In a way, I think, the Adrianna/Christopher relationship is, like the Tony/Melfi relationship, meant to sort of allegorize the relationship Chase was trying to develop between the show and its audience. To some extent, I think this show is far less morally ambiguous than you've been reading it as. Yes, the characters are all full of depth and shade and complexity, but I think that only serves to make the awful, morally reprehensible actions they commit that much more awful and morally reprehensible. If Tony Soprano was just a one note thug who was incapable of self-reflection it would be one thing, but he's shown to be a highly intelligent human being who is capable, at times, of recognizing the evil in what he does. And yet, he just keeps on doing evil things. The show is really built around building the kind of relationship between audience and character that you describe here

To a certain degree, sure. But the thing is they are still regular people at the end of the day who think and feel the same way as everyone else. Tony still gets upset when he thinks about the ducks leaving, he cares for his daughter to go to a good school and he doesn't want his son to end up a loser. Junior befriends that Asian kid at the Mental ward in a genuine "Big brother" kinda way, Bobby Bacala genuinely cares for his wife and hell Pussy genuinely cares for his dog. I mean yeah, they live in a different world and they've hardened themselves to live by those rules, but outside of that world they seem to try to be good people. They take advantage of people that live in the same world as them, and even step over that line from time to time. But for the most part they're pretty much like any middle class family from Jersey. That's the cool thing about the Kevin Finnerty episode, that could have really been Tony if he wanted it. I'm not excusing their criminality at all, merely saying that it's not so black and white and that they aren't necessarily defined by it. C'mon man, criticize a guy like Paulie all you want for who he is, but if you had the opportunity to be this guy's friend irl without any risk of getting caught up in mafia shit who would say no? The guy looks like he'd be jokes and super fun.

and then forcing to question the fact that you're relating to characters who are, at the end of the day, unrepentant sociopaths. The show, somewhat cruelly, plays on one's natural predilection to look for the good in all people, to believe in the natural growth of character and the possibility of change. These characters are constantly being put into situations that seem as though they could lead to life-changing moral epiphanies, and they nearly always choose to stay on the path they're on. If the Soprano family really is meant to be "pretty much like any middle class family," then the show must rank among the bleakest visions of American life to have ever been produced.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »
Like, I think the show's most basic point is that falling into the trap of "complexity" and "ambiguity," of saying "WELL you know it's not all black and white, there's good and bad in everybody! I mean, Tony loves his kids! And the ducks! And, boy, Paulie just seems like such a cool guy, and the FBI is filled with repugnant assholes, and..." is a lot easier than actually passing hard moral judgements.