Author Topic: AEW 2/5/2020- Dynamite is Most Explosive Thing to Hit Alabama Since Moonshine  (Read 672 times)

Description:

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Tomorrow night, AEW debuts in the home of Conrad Thompson and TSM Poster of the Year Mattdotcom.

Scheduled for Dynamite;

Eight Man Tag Team Match
The Elite (Kenny Omega, Adam Page, and The Young Bucks) Vs Lucha Bros and The Butcher & The Blade (With The Bunny)

Jon Moxley Vs Ortiz

Dr. Britt Baker Vs Yuka Sakazaki

Plus MJF whips Cody ten times and (a presumably off air?) tribute to the GREAT ALABAMA MEN (and WOMEN) of wrestling's yesteryear.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Micro-aggressor
I never want to see the Lucha Bros and the Bucks near one another ever again.

Mox and Ortiz is going to be good.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
They need to get back to advertising the whole card nearly a week in advance.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Fact that there's only three advertised matches mean that eight man tag is going to be really long, Vale...and/or MJF is going to cut a 45 minute promo on the State of Alabama.

Latter would probably be the greatest segment in the history of rasslin IMO.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
Having not seem them before AEW I don't get the Lucha Bros.  They seem to do the same stuff people rip on the Bucks for only constantly and in every match.  Any match they're in I'm not going to like because it will feature a million over choreographed spots, no psychology and no tags.

The Bucks have at least tried to incorporate some of that stuff into their matches.  Like last week I thought they did a good job of adding some of it into their match with BBB.
Randy!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
I figure the MJF segment and the eight-man will go long.  Baker and Statlander were going back and forth on Twitter so maybe something there.  I figure they are ramping up on Nyla so something with her that will likely be an unadvertised, unorthodox attack and you probably got the full two hours there.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Having not seem them before AEW I don't get the Lucha Bros.  They seem to do the same stuff people rip on the Bucks for only constantly and in every match.  Any match they're in I'm not going to like because it will feature a million over choreographed spots, no psychology and no tags.

The Bucks have at least tried to incorporate some of that stuff into their matches.  Like last week I thought they did a good job of adding some of it into their match with BBB.

I thought the Lucha Bros were more hype than anything pre-AEW based on my limited exposure to them, only being their stint in Impact. I still don’t love them as much as others but they have grown on me.  Maybe in part due to that theme song.  But I agree - they have talent but at times it is movez-movez-something overly risky that makes me cringe.
[img width=800

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Lucha Bros are great but I like them both much better as singles. Pentagon is a real rat great bastard solo but he's kind of reduced to a one note character in AEW. I just think The Lucha Bros and Bucks bring out each other's worst tendencies.

Their first match with Santana & Ortiz at Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2017 was maybe favorite tag team match I've seen live and was the moment that Santana & Ortiz went from "Hey. This is a pretty damn good little tag team" to "Holy shit. They're one of the best teams in the world right now."

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
I have high expectations for Ortiz vs. Moxley.

Separately, Fenix and Pentagon Jr are both very good. Fenix is possibly the best high flyer in wrestling and a great underdog babyface. Some of his Lucha Underground matches are all-time classics. Pentagon is a mediocre worker who's at his best stooging around in regular matches or taking stupid bumps in garbage matches. Both guys were basically made to be main eventers in classic ECW.

The Bucks have been surprisingly good when not teaming with Kenny or against the Lucha Bros. We need more of that.

Online Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Moxley vs Ortiz should just be a fun match.

I'm a big fan of Penta. Penta is the better character, but Fenix is the better wrestler. Together, they play off each other very well, but as singles wrestlers, they're much better. I echo the comment about Fenix in LU. As the underdog, he had some great stories and you could totally get behind him. Penta should be a piece of shit heel.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Tino Standard

I wouldn’t expect anything unusual as far as length of matches goes. On the show two weeks ago, they announced three matches and one non-match segment for last week’s show. And then on last week’s show, they announced these three matches and one non-match segment. This seems to be the formula for now.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Lucha Bros. and Pentagon in general although his character has gotten a bit repetitive recently. They're charismatic, can easily adapt styles, and always have the crowd invested in their matches.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
After watching Dark this week, I only have one thought:

Melanie Cruise suuuuuuuuuucks

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Micro-aggressor
Pentagon Jr has an It factor, but is really easy to overexpose. I really like him and would have put him in the upper card from the start. Building off the Jericho bit from All In would've been way better all over than the Hangman push. Personally I think he has all the natural charisma the Elite wish they had.

Fenix is fucking great. Echoing the LU praise, that casket match with Mil Muertes doesn't get nearly as much love as it should these days. I've never seen a boring Fenix match, and I think he can work with pretty much anyone. Next evolution of Rey (though not as much as Skunt). Not a lot of guys make me interested in a match by name only anymore, but I can count on him.

But mostly I never ever want to see a Luchas/Bucks match in any form, combination, or stipulation again. Personally (again) I'd separate the Luchas just to have a Pentagon vs Darby feud for an as yet unestablished secondary singles title.

• Canadian Destroyer213
After watching Dark this week, I only have one thought:

Melanie Cruise suuuuuuuuuucks

Pretty much any woman on the roster you could say that about. Statlander, and the Joshi are the only women really worth a damn. I'd say Kong, too, but she's working hurt, and even then she's still better than almost all the other women. Blow the division up and start over.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
I've actually been digging Dr. Baker's heel turn thus far and feel like this could be a star-making transition for her. She has the potential to be a marketable star, she just needs a lot more seasoning. Her in-ring work needs to improve and she needs some personality. Hopefully acting like a bitch will force her to show some.

• Canadian Destroyer213
Her promo on the ship wasn't good. It felt forced and she seemed like she didn't want to be there. She had a few good lines, but it wasn't good. Last week was much, much better. The in ring style for a heel is also different than a face. When done right, it should be a slower paced style. She could be better at that than working the face style, because she's dreadful in the ring otherwise.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Micro-aggressor
What was their deal with Aja Kong? They hyped her signing and used her, what, twice? I know she's old and past her prime, but her value has increased heavily and if she can still work for even 10 minute Taker-like sprints, that up the division significantly.

Offline geniusMoment

They wrote Kong off on Dark because she is going off to film the next season of GLOW for Netflix.  She's not going to be back anytime soon.  Maybe by the All Out/In show around Labor Day.

I really hope they drop the Nightmare Collective if she's going to be gone.  I had hoped it to be dropped anyway, but now it's totally pointless.  I mean, would anyone be upset if Luther, Melanie Cruz and Brandi just didn't appear anymore?
Randy!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

Offline Tino Standard

Jericho pronouncing Schiavone’s name correctly instead of calling him Skee-a-vone. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Offline Tino Standard

Yowza, Britt Baker doing a curb stomp on the rope and knocking out one of Yuka Sakazaki’s teeth is a pretty dastardly spot.

• Admin
That was a rough 30 minute stretch after the opener. I liked the Britt angle though.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline geniusMoment

Probably my least favorite show of the new year.  That ending angle didn't seem to fully click.  Getting a bigger belt that made a louder sound would've helped.
Randy!

• Admin
Lol that ending angle clicked all the way. That was an A+ angle.

Offline geniusMoment

There were elements of it I thought were good.  It just didn't seem to resonate with the crowd like I thought.  I loved the old Sandman caning Dreamer angle in ECW.  So I had high hopes for this.
Randy!

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
that angle was fantastic and it was pretty damn over

Offline geniusMoment

I really liked the opening segment and thought Mox doing an eye for an eye with the car key was clever.

But, from then until the 8 man was a dead zone.

8 man was just a spotfest, but if you're going to do one this is the format I like best.  I don't mind the mindless, no psychology stuff as much in a match like this.  Maybe it just reminds me of the old WCW luchadore spotfests that would open shows 20 years ago.

Joey Janela's goofy facials just totally take me out of anything that is supposed to be serious.
Randy!

• Admin
Cody getting whipped was apparently a massive draw. They are getting closer and closer to that one million mark.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
Can’t wait for NXT to counter with Ciampa getting tar and feathered by undisputed era next week.

Offline geniusMoment

I think if AEW hypes up a big debut in a few weeks (Matt Hardy, Harper etc...) they will get back over the million mark.

If Hardy is coming in and is free March 1 I would hype someone major debuting as an announcement during the ppv for that weeks Dynamite.  You're already going to get a ppv bounce probably.  So maybe you get up to 1.1-1.2 million.
Randy!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Finished the first half of the show.

I find myself comparing Mox to Austin and Piper a lot, both good and  bad, mostly the great. Only thing I'd wish he'd take from either's playbook is filling in the downtime. Austin would throw shots that would just fill dead space between sequences, so would Piper, and Mox has a habit of doing the "waiting for next spot" wobble. Most guys do nowadays, I guess. The key into Santana's eye spot was killers and the only thing that could've made it better was if Mox used a microphone to scream the "EYE FOR AN EYE" line.

Best Friends totally need super cheesy vignettes that feel like the intro to a TGIF sitcom. Chuck opens a door and knocks Trent's laundry basket out of his hands, Trent working out wakes Chuck up from a deep slumber (sleeping cap and all), Orange folds down a newspaper and gives his thumbs up...c'mon, AEW. You're supposed to be the cool show. Do something fun.

The Dark Order attacks SCU after the match. They're trying to send a message to Christopher Daniels by attacking his loved ones. So they attack his tag team partners, who he could have cornered for but didn't, and who he took his sweet ass time running out to save. Great plan. Exalted One must be a fucking genius. Truly some 4D chess a-happenin'.

Britt taking teeth is too perfect and I want her work super vicious. Heel Baker is clearly working.

8-man was fine, but DAAAAAAMN Hangman is so much better now that they're letting him get pissy. I'm not sure him eating the fall was the smartest move, even with the story they're trying to tell, and I'm surprised to be saying that only about a month after I wished he'd left the company.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Micro-aggressor
I always see Mox as more of a Pillman

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Finished it off tonight.

Janela/Sabian didn't need to go across three segments, but I didn't hate it. Sabian has a good look and seems like he just needs the proper direction to really be worth something. Janela is fine as a wild undercard face, but he should be way more about bumping and "edgy" spots than trying to be a legitimate wrestler. It's nice to see that he's learned a little psychology, though.

Bucks are fucking BAAAAAAAAD at promos. Matt is alright and clearly the better of the two. I didn't care for this segment where they harp on Hangman, and only because of the implication that Page has a drinking problem. Then they do a sight gag and cut to a sign asking Hangman for a drink...okay?

Santana vs. Mox has a chance to be an amazing brawl if they really lean into it. Santana carries the team and always has.

I like that they're advertising matches a few weeks in advance. Even if I have no interest in PAC/Omega at all, quintuply fuck no to a 30-minute Iron Man match, there's a lot to be said about having a plan. I always thought adhering to more of a schedule for matches would be a nice touch, and loved how WCW would have a match for a title shot months later.

ME angle would have only been better if MJF had started it with a superdouche promo, talking trash between every few lashings even more. That's a company wide thing, too: not enough embracing of the wrestling trope where talent in the ring use the microphone to talk to each other during bigger moments. Great angle and I'm looking forward to the cage match a ton.

Not a bad week, best use of Brandi in months, and the main event angle was the perfect way to close the show.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Called this to my friends when I saw JR was doing his spoken word/Q&A show at The Wilbur Theater the next night.

Annnnnnd for the 2nd time in a row that AEW's come to Boston, I'm booked to do a show that night. Dag gummit. I'd be a lot more pissed if I didn't decide to go see AEW's NYC/NJ area debut three weeks earlier.

I think if AEW hypes up a big debut in a few weeks (Matt Hardy, Harper etc...) they will get back over the million mark.
It's assumed that Harper is going to debut on the 3/18 show in Rochester, NY (his hometown). Given circumstances, maybe they should debut him as a face? He showed a lot of potential as a no-nonsense asskicking family man face on the Worlds Collide special on WWE Network last year and I think it'd be cool if he was Mox's buddy in battle against The Inner Circle.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Well it looks like, thankfully, the NC is finally dead.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
This is great and you have to give them credit for listening to the fans on that one. WWE would have that shit going another 6 months to a year before retooling.