Author Topic: Nintendo Chatter v2  (Read 36915 times)

Description:

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: Nintendo Chatter v2
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:52 AM »
Nah, it'd still be $50 cheaper than the PS4 at it's old price ($349). That said, I think they still need to bring it down to $249~$269.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline AnonymousBroccoli

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:17 AM »
Wii U at $350 vs. PS4 at $400... that seems like a complete no-brainer. I don't know that a $300 Wii U helps things all that much.

Apart from the thing looking pretty horrendous, I don't understand how little hands will hold the 2DS, and still be able to hit shoulder buttons.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »
I think you are rigbt Tig concerning the price for the Wii U to really make an impact on choice. If you are spending a lot of money, $100 isn't really going to make or break someone. Over $100 though would definitely do so.

That's another thing with the 2DS. The shoulder buttons are all the way up on the top. How exactly do you hit those as a little guy? Unless you hold it near the top maybe? The buttons are kind of high up on the console...

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2013, 06:47:02 AM »
The 2DS also doesn't look comfortable at all to hold.  Why are all the buttons so high up?

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 07:02:08 AM »

That looks somewhat doable for little hands. Move him down to the D-pad, however, and I'm not so sure he'll be able to hit the L button very well.

Later in the video are adult hands, and it doesn't look especially comfortable to me.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »
 :-\ Hm, seems like the shoulder buttons are all the way around each corner, so it isn't as bad as I thought. Still doesn't look as comfy as my 3DS though.

This almost looks like a gimmick to get people to buy their kids a 2DS, then kids complain that it isn't as nice as their friends 3DS, which means that they trade in the 2DS for a 3DS. This way Nintendo would get twice the sales... Aw fuck, that's why it is like that.

Nintendo, you magnificent bastards~!

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
:-\ Hm, seems like the shoulder buttons are all the way around each corner, so it isn't as bad as I thought. Still doesn't look as comfy as my 3DS though.

This almost looks like a gimmick to get people to buy their kids a 2DS, then kids complain that it isn't as nice as their friends 3DS, which means that they trade in the 2DS for a 3DS. This way Nintendo would get twice the sales... Aw fuck, that's why it is like that.

Nintendo, you magnificent bastards~!
Pretty much, or you end up with a ton of 2DS units with gunky and scratched up screens so the kids then, in turn, beg the parents to buy the more expensive clamshell as an upgrade.

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:37 AM »
I haven't tried 3D media enough to know if I can actually see or stand it, but I also don't really care about it. If they were to offer a clamshell 2DS XL, I'd probably be interested in that. If its shape were maybe a little less angular, that'd be nice too.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
I heard about the 2DS and thought 'That kind of makes sense.' Then I saw the picture...what the fuck?
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
Are those converted Wii U tablets?

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
Are those converted Wii U tablets?

The might be a similar width but they don't look near as tall (the 2DS looks taller, I mean). Button layout is generally the same though, minus a thumbstick.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 5 HAS BEGUN!

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
ROFL dat ABC News: http://news.yahoo.com/video/nintendo-announces-2ds-lowers-wii-142527753.html

Nintendo releasing the 2D's that plays the same games as the 3D's!

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
If that thing wasn't so ugly, I'd probably get it.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
I honestly don't know why they didn't just design it like the regular 3DS (with all the buttons around the bottom screen) but without the hinge.  Just put L and R on the back where your fingers would naturally be.

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
I don't think anyone specifically pointed out that Wind Waker HD is being released digitally (and in the console bundle) 2 weeks before physical copies in North America. Kind of an interesting strategy, taking advantage of that dead space between when the game is actually done, and when there's enough copies to be shipped to retail.

Even if this gains traction, I won't be changing my habits, since I don't pay $50-60 for digital, and I very rarely feel the need to pounce on a game ASAP.

Adam Sessler talked a bit about it here:

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »
I don't really mind digital as much as I thought I would.. The only things the companies need to change are the price (at least $10 cheaper plz) and this 12AM PST bullshit. I shouldn't have to wait until 3AM EST to download a game on release day.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
So, Nintendo's Wii U Facebook page is getting a name change to Nintendo Console Gaming. 

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-official-wii-u-facebook-page-gets-a-weird-na-1269881630

Not sure if this means anything for the system itself, but there you go.

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
Hiroshi Yamauchi died. He was president of Nintendo from 1949-2002.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160150

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Apparently the Retron 5 is coming out in December. Um.. DO WANT.

"It plays NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy Advance (w/ Game Boy and Game Boy Color support) and Famicom games. The console features HDMI output, game speed control and support for save states. And, in addition to its own wireless controllers, it has ports for Genesis, SNES and NES controllers."

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
Damn.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
It plays Platoon!

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2013, 01:45:34 AM »
News you can use:
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze delayed until February
- Sonic confirmed to return in the next Smash Bros.
- Demo for the new Phoenix Wright will be available for download today (yes yes yes!)
- New side-scrolling Kirby game for the 3DS announced for 2014
-
No linear dungeon progression in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds—instead of getting items as you go through the world, you'll be able to buy items in one big shop and traverse between dungeons in an order of your choice, according to Nintendo.

Uhh, well that's different.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:24 AM »
There's a Wii U system update out there, too.

Also:

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »
Our Nintendo rep came in today and she had a 2DS with her.  I take back what I said about the buttons being in a weird place; that thing fits perfectly in my hands.

« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »
Anyone playing Pokemon X and Y?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:22 AM »
It looks kind of neat, but Black and White killed my interest after Diamond and Pearl got me back. Plus, I don't actually own a 3DS. I could borrow my brother's since he literally hasn't touched it after the first week, but I'd rather buy the Japanese version and the 3DS is region locked. I might get it once it's, like, $20. Or wait and buy a Japanese 3DS once they system has a bigger roster of games I'm interested in and just play it then.

Are you playing it? The only person I know who is playing X & Y is a fanboy, so I don't really trust his opinion on it anyways.

Offline Sideburnious

« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »
I picked it up and I'm loving it so far (jumped back on Diamond & Pearl, skipped the B&w's). It was what finally got me to pick up a 3DS & they've smartly crammed the start of the game with a lot of Gen 1s.

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »
I get at least one version of every game that comes out, and X and Y is more of the same. But there's a lot more to keep you interested IMO. Game moves a lot faster in the beginning, there's a ton more pokemon to catch early on compared to your usual Pidgeys and Rattatas, and the new EXP share shares experience with your whole team which makes grinding and leveling up much easier. There's a Wonder Trade feature where you can blindly trade anything with someone from around the world. Early on it is a great way to expand your pokedex- you trade a pokemon and get a random one back from someone. It's pretty cool. Plus there are minigames on the touch screen that can help you raise stats and offset bad natures without having to go through the craziness of EVs. Definitely my favorite game since Heart Gold/Soul Silver, but at the end of the day it's a Pokemon game and you know what you are getting if you've ever played one.

My friend code is 3523-2192-4114 will add anyone that plays, also play Animal Crossing.

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:02 AM »
Nintendo has disabled the internet ("SpotPass") portion of their 3DS message/image/sound-sending app Swapnote, because people were using it for "offensive content". As I understand it, this is the only way for 3DS users to directly contact each other online. Is that about right?

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/UHQZFP2Jxcll_Vm-PsZpxNIK5920bRRK

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »

« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2013, 04:38:53 AM »

« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »
Half-assed rundown:
  • Reggie has elevator powers
  • New trailer for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and a gold & black Zelda-themed 3DS XL, with a digital copy of the game included. Coming November 22nd.
  • Mario Party: Island Tour for 3DS is shown; also out November 22.
  • Bravely Default has some Brave and Default points or something. Leave your 3DS in sleep mode while Bravely Default is running, to build up Sleep points. What? Apparently it's an "epic adventure". Who would've guessed? Out February 7th; collector's edition also available.
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is out for 3DS February 28th, to complete the second Layton trilogy.
  • Visit Nintendo Zone locations for some Animal Crossing doodads
  • A 3DS system update will allow you to register your Nintendo Network ID on your 3DS, combining Wii U and 3DS eShop currency balances. But only if you have the same ID name on both devices.
  • Miiverse is coming to 3DS
  • YouTube coming to 3DS; Wii U app receiving an upgrade.
  • New Pikmin 3 Mission Mode DLC coming December 2nd.
  • Animal Crossing Plaza for Wii U is getting stamps to fiddle with in Miiverse posts. (Is this like Wii U's PlayStation Home?)
  • eShop indie video with brief gameplay clips of a handful of games
  • A plug to visit the eShop offers page; looks like some meagre discounts on a few 2D Zelda Virtual Console games this week.
  • Buy eShop gift cards! Why is the $10 card exclusive to Target? :|
  • One more game for November 22nd: Super Mario 3D World. A clip of "10 things you didn't know", with spoilers, so I skipped it.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »
The only thing I care about in there is the Zelda 3DS XL and I already knew about that.

And Mario 3D World looks pretty cool, I guess.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
I didn't realize the 3DS Mario Party was out so soon. Neat!

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
A 3DS system update will allow you to register your Nintendo Network ID on your 3DS, combining Wii U and 3DS eShop currency balances. But only if you have the same ID name on both devices.

Why this wasn't already a thing, I'll never know.

« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
Does GameStop employ 7 year olds now?  Those things look tiny.

I'm actually kinda sorta looking at getting a 3DS.  I haven't touched my DS Lite in like a year and a half, but it seems like there's a bunch of cool stuff available and/or coming out.

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
I can't tell if I'm indifferent to Super Mario 3D Land because of the game itself, or because I'm playing it on a 3DS. I guess there's an answer to that question coming out this week.

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »
I just ordered this thing. If I can make it not suck for $15, then that'll be worthwhile.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004UBSR46/

Offline MarvinisaLunatic

• I'm Back
  • @Droford
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
Nintendo should quit the consoles and stick to handhelds and games. I can't see Sony or MS challenging them on handhelds..Sony has tried a couple times miserably and MS would probably try to sell a gaming all in one tablet running windows 9 but I doubt it would sell well either

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
Yes, because Nintendo made no money and didn't further the brand with the Wii. Just because you (or I) don't like a product doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
I used to shoot that idea down all the time but I'm actually becoming more and more okay with it. I'd love to be able to play first party Nintendo games on PlayStation.

Wii U has actually done nothing to further the Wii brand and is actually causing confusion among the casual consumer. You'd be surprised how many threads there are at GAF talking about run-ins with people who don't know why a Wii U game won't work on their Wii.

Add to that the poor sales, and again, poor third party support and it almost feels like this could be Nintendo's last hurrah at the home console market.  They should definitely keep with the "DS" handhelds though. That seems to be their lightning in a bottle on the go-forward.

Honestly in the end it's not a terrible thing if they were to go more toward software than hardware. Sega did it and they're all the better now.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
Oh god. I agree with Marvin on something! I've felt for a long time like Nintendo should go the way of Sega with handhelds still coming out. Oh god, I feel dirty!
Guess I need to read some Glenn Beck.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
Wii U has actually done nothing to further the Wii brand and is actually causing confusion among the casual consumer. You'd be surprised how many threads there are at GAF talking about run-ins with people who don't know why a Wii U game won't work on their Wii.
I don't know what GAF is, but casual's never seem to understand that no matter what the system. I had a fun time explaining to someone recently that no, they can't buy whatever PS4 game there were talking about for their kid unless they were going to buy the PS4, too. Friends that have worked at Gamestop/Wal-Mart in the past told me the same thing regarding PS3 and X-box 360 games with PS2 and X-box systems.

Too be fair, though, the Wii U does seem like a failure. Hardcore gamers aren't really interested in it and it doesn't seem like it's going to grab the casual market even remotely like the Wii did. So maybe I don't necessarily disagree with ya'll as much as I initially thought. But people have been calling for Nintendo to give up on consoles since the GameCube just because they don't agree with Nintendo's direction, completely ignoring the success Nintendo has had with it.

I keep wanting to say it's still early for the Wii U, but geez, it's a few days over a year old now...

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
3rd party support is horrible (and stuff like what happened with Rayman Legends doesn't help) and why something like GTA 5 didn't come out on the Wii U is beyond me.

No 'real' Mario or Zelda game isn't a good thing, either. They needed to have something to wow people with the other new systems coming out and Mario 3D World is supposed to be good, but nothing groundbreaking.

I don't regret buying one at launch, because the 3DS came around eventually and I can hope the Wii U will, too, but no one's buying the systems (and the few commercials I'm seeing for it are pretty lame) and that's going to kill any potential 3rd party stuff.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
They're trying to grab an audience that doesn't understand what their machine does.  They caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii and the motion control fad it spawned (which was already dying once the Move and Kinect hit).

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
I don't get how we're comparing Nintendo to Sega here, as Sega really had no choice but to shift to third-party developer as they were hemorrhaging money.  Nintendo is sitting on mountains of money and is in no danger of going belly up.  The only way Nintendo stops making home consoles is if they have year after year after year after year of monumental losses.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
I don't want to play Mario with a Dual Shock.

« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:51 AM »