Author Topic: WWE Network General Notes - Themes, Changes, Edits, Restorations, Schedule, Etc.  (Read 55633 times)

Description: An on-going list of what's what on WWEN

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
This thread is a work in progress, and while everyone is welcome to contribute their findings, as per the wishes of the moderator team this thread is NOT intended to become a "I'm watching this now!" megathread. The goal of this thread is to point out notes on what versions of a show are being used, things we notice / know are changed, things that haven't seen the light of day since the original airing, etc.

I have yet to just sit back and watch a full PPV on the network yet as I've pretty into just touring around the archived content and checking out things like this. Here's a quick list of things I've noticed / been told about by others.

Music:
- Pretty much all licensed music is, predictably, a no-go. There are some exceptions to this, usually if it was  PPV theme. Some of them are edited out. "Headstrong" by Trapt is nowhere to be found on Bad Blood 2003 and St. Anger is no longer the music of SummerSlam 2003, and music used on older WrestleMania shows - the first being the big offender as it had Easy Lover, Born in the USA, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Eye of the Tiger, and Axel F, are gone), but "newer" (relatively speaking) WrestleMania shows from the DVD era seem to have no problem keeping songs such as My Way (X7), Step Up (XX), Ladies and Gentlemen (21), Shoot to Thrill (25), etc. I assume this has a lot to do with the modern licensing of these as "PPV Themes" where in the old days it was just music they threw figured would never be distributed in such a fashion.
- Music that SOUNDS like licensed music seems to have been given the heave ho, I guess as pre-emptive way of avoiding royalty lawsuits? DVDs and Classics on Demand had never really had issues with Jericho, Raven, or DDP's WCW themes but in the Network era, we now hear the original "Break the Walls Down" theme (which I hated long ago and was glad it was cleaned up into the more familiar Jericho theme, but almost 15 years later I find it has it's own charm), Raven's WWE theme, and something generic for DDP.
- As Mr. Kreese pointed out in chat (and I later googled), there is a recent lawsuit between a man named Jimmy Papa and WWE over royalties for the Slam Jam album. WWE had no qualms about using songs from this album before - usually using them over top of older WCW themes, such as Stings, but that is no more. Everybody here comes 2 Cold Scorpio... but not to that theme.
- The flip side of the missing WCW themes many people know in love is the (in some cases) first, or near first, time ever use of WCW themes that WWE has always removed from CoD and DVDs. Sting's first WCW theme, Goldberg's WCW theme, Alex Wright's theme, the Hollywood Blonde's theme... you know, WWE removed a LOT of music on CoD. Basically if you watch a WCW show from the late 80s / early 90s, the music is as accurate as WWE has ever had it.
- Before CoD went under, WWE seemed to stop paying the rights to the Piledriver themes. Those are all back now. It's actually the best mix of themes WWE has kept restored in this era as it seemed every time they gained themes back, they lost other ones. Rumble and Mania anthology sets were pretty bad for this - Rumble 92 lost the classic Rumble theme and Vince's intro, which was just unacceptable - but that's been corrected.

Video Library / edits:  WWE never advertised this (well, they said "uncut" but from Hollywood to WWE, that term is a complete lie and is no different here, but they seemed to try) but it has been reported that WWE was digitizing their master tapes to get the most complete versions of shows. This generally seems to be true, but there are some hiccups to this.
- With WWE shows, an easy way to tell with shows prior to 1993 is the lack of logo in the corner of the screen. If there's a logo, they used a DVD. If there isn't, right from the master. The lack of WWE logos all over the screen of old PPVs, WCW and ECW shows is a nice touch.
- Quick checking, Royal Rumble's seem to be the masters. This means Rumble 91/92 are awesome again (re: the theme and Vince is back), Orient Express music is back, etc. The 1994 show has "CASIO" back on the countdown clock after being edited out of the DVD.
- Didn't check all the Mania's but they seemed pretty clean. Mania VIII was missing the fan club ad (I honestly went to check this as soon as OD started working) but hey, my VHS tape is awful now so I can accept it. WrestleMania 25 actually RESTORES the removed from DVD Kid Rock mini-concert (umm... hooray?). Don't quote me on this but I believe Mania XX is the original broadcast with a much more hostile crowd toward Lesnar/Goldberg than was used on the DVD.
- SummerSlam seemed fine and I have no specific notes.
- They got VERY lazy with Survivor Series. I don't know if something was wrong with the masters or they just rushed, but a lot of the early shows just use the Survivor Series DVD releases. 1996 did too, and one of them (I forget which) is from CoD as it as an air date graphic pop up briefly. If the un-muted uses of WWF, fine, but it's kind of weird to see them blurring Koko B. Ware's tights for saying "WWF" on the 1988 show when that isn't supposed to be happening.
- Nudity is blurred. Sorry!
- In a twist, KOTR 94 specifically mentions being the Coliseum Video version (although they may have just added this scene from the video) but as the copy I had growing up was taped right off PPV, I had never seen the Coliseum Video intro of the 4 heels in the tournament arguing over who was going to win.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
Re: WWE Network General Notes - Themes, Changes, Edits, Restorations, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
No more shitty Even Flow cover?  *cancels subscription*

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
NO SELF HI-5?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
I love all the random video vault stuff that plays between shows on the live stream. I got to see a pretty great but morbid Playboy Buddy Rose diet program video earlier today. And a Huckster and Nacho Man skit yesterday. More of this please.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Commercials:
- A benefit (in the sense it adds a sense of "original airing" to it) is that unlike their home video counterpart, many of the PPVs have retained their original "X Presents... PPV!". Snickers Cruncher is proud to present the Grand Daddy of them all, WreslteMania X7. Subway was unfortunate enough to bring us one of biggest wastes of a great tournament bracket ever in KOTR 2000.
- I was so, so happy when during 1993 Raws, I heard Lord Alfred say "promotional consideration paid for by the following" followed by an ad for ICOPRO and even better, the best Slim Jim ad in history - Macho Man hating a bag of potato chips. The next episode raised the stakes with a toy commercial. When we were live chatting the September 1998 Raw that was on the other day we were treated to a Triple H Stridex ad.

Censorship:
- The nudity, as mentioned.
- Maybe some language? I couldn't tell you what Viewer's Choice originally censored in those ECW PPVs and I haven't really checked any.
- In a sight I was totally not used to as a former CoD viewer, on the above mentioned 1998 Raw Vince McMahon totally flips off Undertaker and Kane and audibly mouths (I know that makes little sense, but trust me, you could almost hear it) "F You!" at them. That didn't fly on CoD but we're good to go here.

Odd notes:
- All of the PPV dates are off by a day. I noticed this off the bat when Over the Edge 99 said May 22nd, which was obviously wrong, and Judgment Day 2000 was listed as May 20th when I was pretty sure it aired on my birthday (21st). Further looking showed every PPV was off by a day, which is really funny for the IYH shows that have a large date on the show's splash image / poster.
- Survivor Series 1987 has the 1996 poster for whatever reason.
- Starrcade 1993 has a poster for "Starrcade: Collision Course" and prominently features Lex Luger, which would be quite wrong as he had been in the WWF for some time. The internet told me that was the name of Starrcade 90, but the poster they use for Starrcade 90 seems to be right... so, not sure how that one happened.

Other:
- Not sure what's happening and hopefully it's something that is corrected as they expand their On Demand vault / library, but the 1993 Raws they've been airing in the morning have already begun disappearing from the 1993 section of "Raw Replays". Episode 1 left today and 5 and 6 never really seemed to be archived.

New content alert:
- Royal Rumble 2014 was added earlier today.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
Has there been anything said about old Nitro's being added?

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
No but if you do the math, they're adding 1993 Raws very quickly. By the time "MNW" debuts in the summer, they could very well be into September 1995.

@AskWWENetwork just says "new content will be added" when asked about it.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
Watched the live stream for the first time. Legends of Wrestling is pretty handy while on the elliptical as you can pretty much just listen and will still understand what's happening.

Offline shadylpete

Minor ratings change on a few PPVs to give them a TV-MA rating instead of TV-14 and I'm sure a few of these are due to excessive blood. Only the following PPVs are listed as TV-MA.

Royal Rumble 1999
Fully Loaded 1999
Fully Loaded 2000
Royal Rumble 2004

Judgment Day 2004
- I'm assuming Eddie dropping buckets of blood here would be the reason for this.

Judgment Day 2005
- Cena & JBL's I Quit match was pretty brutal

Would anyone know why the first 4 are rated TV-MA, it's been a long time since I've seen them.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
Rumble 99 should be fairly obvious (hint: I Quit).
I was wondering myself why the two Fully Loaded shows were TV-MA - yeah, Taker/Austin is first blood and Jericho/HHH was a brutal Last Man Standing match, but in my memory I don't recall them being gruesome enough to warrant above TV-14.
Shawn bleeds a lot at Rumble 2004. But he does at other PPVs too.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
I watched Summerslam 2002 and, unless I missed it, there was a weird bit where they cut out a commercial for a Hulk Hogan DVD to go to Heyman and Brock watching the ad and then commenting about how Brock destroyed Hulkamania.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
I don't know where else to put this...but they are advertising the network on a couple of sites I frequent a ton.  My local sports radio and an Xbox achievement site (which is p funny when you think about it).  I must perfectly fit into the demo lol.  At least they had a lot of eyeballs on the sports talk website today with the Sabres trading away the face of their franchise.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
I prefer my guide. Should have taken AHM's advice and made it a CXF news story.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
Mostly posted it for the New Jack stuff.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
Well if Paul didn't have him wrestle entire matches with licensed music playing...

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
There's a noticeable video cut during the Kabuki-Charlie Brown match in Starrcade 83.  Kabuki has a clawhold locked in and Brown is noticeably trying to keep the left arm off the canvas.  The camera angle changes and Brown's right arm is the one off the mat.  The audio is seamless though so if you blink you'll miss it.  Seems about three minutes is cut out though as I remember a 13-14 minute match and I timed 10:18 bell-to-bell.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
Watching some old shows and Lawler is actually doing "heel commentator" the right way... trashing all the faces and praising the heels. Wonder exactly when it was switched to the current King and JBL strategy of bury almost everyone.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
On-demand additions (which I believe are just things that have been on the livestream here and there):
- 3 more ECW Hardcore TV episodes were added to The Vault.
- 2 more episodes of WCCW.
- 2 Maple Leaf Garden shows in "Old School".
- Another Legends of Wrestling roundtable ("Factions").
- Episode 12 of SmackDown in "Replays" (1999). This is scheduled to "air" next weekend as the Best of SmackDown episode.
- Episodes 10-13 of Raw (but no sign of the missing episode 1, 5, or 6).

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Did anyone check Vengeance 2007 yet?  That one hit me that I believe original broadcast mentioned Benoit being unable to come to the show during Punk/Nitro but clearly changed for home video.  Guessing that edit is present but curious.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
There is a long pause between the time Justin Roberts introduces Nitro and the time he gets to the ring, so it appears to be edited out.

However, the crowd's chant of "We want Benoit" is there in full.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
Schedule change for Tuesday:
WWE Main Event LIVE
3/3/14

WWE Main Event features incredible in-ring action from the WWE Superstars and Divas of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown.
TV-PG

That is the wrong date though so I guess it refers to airing the match or matches taped on Monday too.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
That's smart.  Do as many live streams you can to work out all the bugs before Mania.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD

Oops! Weird they would use that but their poster for Survivor Series 1996 is correct (the 2002 DVD had a poster gallery that used the original version with Vader instead of Sid).

I went to check the Eddie/Test match on Mania X7, since they seemed to be using a master instead of DVD (since it retains the Snickers Cruncher sponsor branding) and even so, they still felt the need to edit Eddie falling off the ring apron while Test is stuck in the ropes. Small things like that doesn't really bother me since WWE made that edit 13 years ago anyway, but it does come off as an unnecessary edit if you went straight from the original PPV master tape.

Backlash 2002 notes:
- You know this is right off PPV because it has a commercial for upcoming shows / tickets. Hey guess what, Buffalo is getting a Raw taping!
- Flair's "aww, shit!" reaction to being shown is poor refereeing skills in a replay is kept in tact.
- Maven's theme is dubbed :(
- Voodoo Child is not dubbed! That's weird since I'm pretty sure it is on WCW PPVs and even the other WWE PPVs Hogan used it on. Now I have to check that out...
Judgment Day: Not dubbed.
King of the Ring: Not dubbed.
Vengeance: Not dubbed.

Ok, so I guess I just forgot he didn't use it until Backlash and had only checked Mania X8. But I can definitely tell you it was dubbed over at Halloween Havoc 98, unless he didn't use it there either.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Updating what I've found thus far as "added" Monday/Today... Note I'm not 100% certain on these yet though.

WWE Smackdown: 11/10/1999, Pre & Post Show 2/27/14
ECW Hardcore TV: At least 5? shows from 1994 (up to episode #60)
Monday Night Raw: 4/18/1993
WWE Originals: The Epic Journey of The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Still waiting but looks like some more stuff is slowly leaking out.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
Last week's RAW was added.  I thought they were delayed 30 days?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Last week's RAW was added.  I thought they were delayed 30 days?

I thought that was only in reference to the (potential) PPVs down the road, not the shows.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
It appeared the day before launch, since Cole did such a strong promo for Hulu at the Chamber, that Hulu was retaining early re-broadcast rights and WWEN had to wait 30 days. This is cool since Hulu has mandatory ads and cuts the show.

Edit: Umm, I still see the most recent 2014 Raw as being Batista's return in January.

Offline JN News

• CXF's Resident Schizo.
  • JN News
Chris Benoit is shown unedited in Wrestlemania 20 and Starrcade 1995, so far.

Surprising...

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
He's untouched on everything.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
He makes a creepy in retrospect promo on Starrcade 97. Stating he is who he is and liking to hurt people. And he was a face!

A page listing content on the wwe site says that upcoming stuff includes:

Saturday nights main event
Clash of champions (pwinsider previously reported they planned to add all of both soon)
Wcw Monday nitro (I'll assume the same way they do raws)
Monday night war (the original programming thing they made)

And...listed as...I don't remember the word they used...but like...maybe...Rock N Wrestling!  Want so badly.

Offline fazzle

- Episodes 10-13 of Raw (but no sign of the missing episode 1, 5, or 6).

Episodes 1 and 5 are there, but they're not listed in the 1993 Raw archives, you have to do a manual search to find them.   Episode 6 is nowhere to be found though.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
WCCW's 12/26/82 episode is in the Vault.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
If anyone is up for chatting an absolutely historic Raw tonight at 9pm eastern, please do!

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
If anyone is up for chatting an absolutely historic Raw tonight at 9pm eastern, please do!
What Raw?

BEST OF RAW
3/25/01
Vince McMahon makes the historic announcement that he's purchased WCW. Kane and Undertaker face The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Supposedly WWE is already considering raising the price.  The rumor is so far is a bump to $11.99/month.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Wasn't that about the price when they expand to Canada?  10 bucks us is, I think 11 in Canada right now.  So that would be 90 cents higher than the current price in US dollars.

Or...they'll raise it here by the time they get to Canada...whenever that is.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
Edit: 11.99 CAD would be 10.87 USD, so an 87 cent difference

10 dollars american is 11 dollars Canadian.  It's something like 90 cents to a dollar Canadian right now.  So 12 Canadian is 10.90 us.  I did the math with conversion included because I think this was from a Canadian survey. 

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
10 dollars american is 11 dollars Canadian.  It's 90 cents to a dollar Canadian right now.  So 12 Canadian is 10.90 us.  I did the math with conversion included because I think this was from a Canadian survey.

Yeah, I corrected myself

I think I did it wrong anyway.  I can't see them raising prices really until after they get people locked in for...I want to say longer than the first 6 months.  That's post Summerslam and there isn't a big draw to make you feel you have to.  Between rumble and mania 2015 though...I could see that.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
A few notes on the schedule that's up now:
- Episode 54 of WCCW is in The Vault (Flair vs. Von Erich).
- Next Countdown is "top 10 most fantastic finishing moves".
- Next Mania Rewind is Austin/Michaels from Mania XIV.
- Future Old School shows are 10/31/86 Boston Garden, 4/20/85 MLG, 4/25/86 Boston Garden, 12/5/85 BG, and 6/2/91 MSG.
- Next Wednesday's "Best of Raw" is April 25, 1999.
- The next "Best of SmackDown" (I mean, a week from Saturday - this Saturday's is the SmackDown before Survivor Series 99 with Arnold is was available OD since launch) is September 17, 2003 - WGTT vs. Los Guerreros and Brock/Angle Iron Man match.
- Next "Beyond the Ring" is the 2012 nWo documentary piece.

Edit: That WCCW episode was put back on "the schedule" only and removed from OD (but you know how that goes, sometimes you can click ahead) but some other archived stuff vanished, hopefully by accident.

Offline fazzle

Someone really needs to set up a whatsnewonnetflix style page for the Network.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Also a "resume" feature would be great.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline stevejrogers

He makes a creepy in retrospect promo on Starrcade 97. Stating he is who he is and liking to hurt people. And he was a face!

The fact that he was the face in the Sullivan/Woman angle creeped me out back then, never mind what would happen 10 years later!

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
They've really cracked down on watching things on the advanced schedule - I can't even try to watch a Raw past episode 15 (the last one posted in OD) without it telling me "please wait until this program has premiered".

Offline DMann1979

• That's a Shame
Yeah, I was hoping to skip and watch the next Wrestlmania Rewind, but no dice.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
So when does the Monday Night War start?  April after Mania?