Author Topic: Smackdown! Replays thread  (Read 4265 times)

Description:

Offline Love Harnesser Kamala

• CXF Writer
Smackdown! Replays thread
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
Only a few classic episodes so far but they're adding more and more each week.

I'm watching the 8/8/02 episode featuring the last match of Hulk's first WWE comeback run against Brock Lesnar. Show opens with a grainy, black and white montage of Hulk Hogan's career. This is interrupted by TAZZ talking about Brock Lesnar. Pretty neat video package. It's too bad this match was just thrown onto a random episode of Smackdown! with little build.

As Venk mentioned, they kept "The Beautiful People" in for these early Smackdown! episodes.

• CXF Writer
Re: Smackdown! Replays thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
Kurt Angles comes out to massive heel heat and his opponent is..."Blue Chipper" John Cena, coming out to generic rock music! Tazz says Cena is the Poster Boy of Ruthless Aggression. I'm glad Ruthless Aggression didn't stick as WWE's motto for the post Attitude era. This is a rematch of Cena's WWE debut.

Cena really hasn't aged much in the past twelve years.

This is all super basic but fun. Angle could have had a good match with anybody at this stage in his career.

Tazz complains about Cena getting too many opportunities. Tazz: The Godfather of the We Hate Cena crowd?

This match ends with Cena winning by DQ after Chris Benoit runs in and Crosffaces him. Rey Mysterio makes the save for Cena but Eddie Guerrero makes the save for Benoit. Edge then shows up and spears Eddie Guerrero. Kind of cluttered ending and probably frustrating for a fan in '02 but now it's fun for a variety of reasons. Most notably the seeds of the Smackdown! Six being planted

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
Some backstage interviewer I don't recognize tries to interview Benoit and Eddie. Eddie flips out while putting over Benoit as the Master of Submissions and tries to walk off but Kurt Angle pops in.

Angle: "Peep this, holmes"

Augh, Angle is SOOO white. Angle says he's the Master of Submissions on Smackdown! Angle and Benoit have a crazy off. Eddie tries to make peace and proposes a six man tag between them and Cena, Mysterio, and Edge.

Reverend D'Von and Deacon Batista!
Cole: Could this night get any better!?

Last week, Batista attacked Rikishi but tonight, Reverend D'Von is wrestling pre-interesting "World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry. This match sucks although '02 Henry was surprisingly agile. Mark wins with a powerslam but gets jumped afterward by The Deacon. Rikishi in "Back Dat Ass Up" tanktop makes the save and clears house. Unfortunately, him and Mark don't dance.

Rikishi wants Batista in the ring now! And we have an impromptu match. Heyman had to be booking at this point, yes?

For those wondering if Batista took the Stinkface, the answer is sadly, no. Rikishi goes over clean with a superkick (!) after heel miscommunication between D'Von and Batista. This is apparently Batista's first singles WWE match. An inauspicious debut.

Batista glares at D Von while D'Von explains he was just trying to save Batista from getting a facefull of Rikishi ass.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
Brock Lesnar is WALKING. He's going to the Hulkster's locker room  to try and plea with Hogan to bow out of the match. Heyman tries to reason with him. Lesnar had the mic skills of an inanimate carbon rod here. The Hulkster wants Brock's shot at the WWE Title at SummerSlam on the line in the main event. Brock agrees and Heyman is HORRIFIED! Heyman and Lesnar's interplay here reminds me of 2 Stupid Dogs. Heyman thinks Brock got suckered by the ultimate politician Hogan but Brock thinks he'll handle his business.

We cut to Torrie Wilson in her skivvies (beatin') attacking Nidia in the locker room. Jamie Noble tries to hold Torrie back so Nidia can deck her but Billy Kidman (!) makes the save. Officials break this scrum up.

Billy and Chuck! God, Smackdown's mid-card was random as hell during this era. They're facing The Hurricane and Shannon Moore! Two Count!  :)

Michael Cole announces we're going to see a Jamie Noble and Nidia Vs Kidman and Torrie Wilson mixed tag team match tonight.  Surely, the Bulldogs-Hart Foundation of the '00s.

Hurricane tries the Double Chokeslam on Billy & Chuck but it doesn't work. Did Hurricane's double chokeslam ever work? I have no memory of generic babyface Shannon Moore in WWE. I only remember Mattitude Follower era and The Prince of Punk era. I'd rather forget the latter era.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
This was on live streaming the other day and I caught a chunk that you aren't up to yet.  I was thinking of starting a thread with some of the random stuff.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »
Every time I watch  '02/'03 era Smackdown!, I think I might have been a bit harsh in talking about how horrible those years were but then I watch some '02/'03 era RAW. Injuries evened things out in '04/'05 but I think Smackdown! was also better in '06. After that, it mattered less and less.

Shannon Moore & Hurricane win after Moore ducks Code Red (not to be confused with Sgt. Craig Pittman's Code Red that I talked about in some WCW threads earlier this week). Moore & Hurricane wildly celebrate their victory over the former WWE Tag Team Champs.

Edge hypes up Cena in the locker room while Mysterio does pullups. Outtakes of this segment!  recently seen on WWE Countdown: 10 Biggest Blunders!

JVC Tower of Power Extreme Blast of the Night! Woahhhh! CD players are so 2002. It's the finish of the first match.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
Paul Heyman is walking. He runs into Stephanie McMahon, who wants to know where Dawn Marie is. Heyman pleas with Stephanie to try and change the stipulation of tonight's main event. Stephanie loves the stipulation since it'll either give us Brock/Rock or Hogan/Rock II (not so exciting if you've watched No Way Out '03!) and is trying to make it legally binding. Heyman sulks

It's "The Future of Smackdown!" Edge, John Cena, and Rey Mysterio Vs Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero. Weird seeing Edge and Cena as buddies. Last week, Benoit made The Rock tap to the Crossface during the main event between Benoit and Guerrero and The Rock and Edge.

I watched No Way Out '06 earlier and it's jarring how much smaller Mysterio is here. Benoit and Eddie also seem a lot less jacked than they were during their '04 title runs too.

Brian Hbner, looking about 19 and with a boyband hair cut, is referee.

Really fun six man tag. Ends with everybody hitting their finishers, culminating in Rey hitting the 619 and West Coast Pop on Angle for the win. Angle does the best sell of the 619, reverse somersaulting back to his feet then bobbing back and forth woozile. Kurt Angle throws a temper tantrum after the match at Benoit and Eddie.

Interviewer I don't recognize trolls Angle. Angle looks on with his vacant, crazed stare and yells "I got beat by a 12 year old!" Angle is IRATE. He says Rey was not the legal man. "He's probably an illegal citizen". Angle acting like JBL. Angle says Mysterio has no integrity and he's going to break his ankle.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
Tazz and Cole hype XXX with Vin Diesel, Samuel L Jackson, and Asia Argento, coming to theaters tomorrow (August 9th, 2002...I wish XXX was playing in a theater somewhere tomorrow). Tazz claims to be buds with Vin.

Mixed Tag Match is next. I'm not one to crowd about "Augh! WWE ruined this guy's career" but it's too bad Jamie Noble will be most remembered as a goofy redneck. He's definitely one of those guys that might have been better off if he went the TNA/ROH route in the mid '00s.  Kidman and Torrie get separate entrances for some reason. Noble and Nida double team Kidman.

Kidman tries to spank Nidia but Noble breaks it up. Tazz is amused by that. Kidman and Torrie manage to spank Nidia finally. Noble and Nidia when Nidia rolls up Torrie with a handful of Torrie's booty shorts. Cole is appalled at the cheating while Tazz is appalled at the hicks making out.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
That's about where I tuned in.  I laughed at the XXX plug.
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
Dawn Marie is walking. She goes into Stephanie's office with Steph's documents.. Stacy Keibler is there. Beatin'. Mr. McMahon has some papers for Stephanie. Stacy Keibler insinuates she's gonna bang the Genetic Jackhammer. Dawn scurries off Stacy hides the documents under the couch. JEZEBEL!

Stephanie McMahon is here. Stacy insinuates Dawn is going to the Mariott to bang Vince. OH NO! It's RAW GM Eric Bischoff. He steals Stephanie's documents and laughs like an old timey movie villain. Tazz is ENRAGED!

Hogan/Brock is next!

Hogan is with interviewer I don't recognize who sort of reminds me of Lem from The Shield. Hogan says Brock can't withstand the power of Hulkamania. Hulk says there are 50,000 people in the Richmond Coliseum.  ::)

Weird to see Hogan come out to generic rock. Couldn't they just overdub "Real American" over "Voodoo Child"?

Brock mauls Hogan but Hogan Hulks Up and Heyman freaks. Lesnar stalls outside the ring. Cole does a good job of setting Hogan up as the ultimate underdog. It's hard to believe for anybody who's watched in the past few years but Cole was actually pretty damn good in the early to mid '00s.

They really should have done this match on Vengeance '02. Hogan and Brock didn't do much on that show (Brock had a KOTR Finals rematch with RVD and Hogan and Edge lost the tag team titles to the UnAmericans). Brock could've costed Hogan the Tag Titles on a Smackdown! before the show to set up the match.

There's a little bit too much heel shenanigans and a bit too much Hogan offense but The Hulkster did do a pretty good job of putting Brock over as a beast. Match ends with Hogan passing out (and bleeding from the mouth) from a Brock bear hug.

Brock beats down Hulkster with a chair while Heyman pleads with him to stop ("Brock! You're gonna kill him! Brock!") . Michael Cole is IRATE. Hogan blades and Brock rubs his blood on his chest. That wouldn't happen in a post Bob Orton Jr WWE!

Twas a fine episode even if most of the mid card stuff stunk and I think it was a WCW-like move to give away Brock-Hogan (and Hogan's last match for a year) on free TV.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
I remember that Chuck/Billy vs. 2 Count match as being really fun, with Helms/Moore busting out some of their WCW double-team moves.

Mixed Tag Match is next. I'm not one to crowd about "Augh! WWE ruined this guy's career" but it's too bad Jamie Noble will be most remembered as a goofy redneck. He's definitely one of those guys that might have been better off if he went the TNA/ROH route in the mid '00s.
I dunno, he almost definitely made more money and got an agent job out of his WWE run.  Not sure what going to ROH or TNA would've done for him, except for maybe having better matches.  P. sure he was happy taking the $$$$$ over the *****.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
And Noble did have a run as ROH champion in the year he was released from WWE.
[img width=800

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
The Richmond Coliseum looked like a dump, especially in the backstage segments. No wonder 12 years later we saw an outtake of Rey falling on his arse.

Kamala, the name you were looking for was Marc Lloyd.

Small unimportant note - the segment where Heyman was wandering around with Lesnar before he challenged Hogan was given away as being pre-taped by having Paul stand by the curtains to the rampway and show Velocity graphics on the side.

I'm wondering now if Benoit/Cena was tentatively in the cards for SummerSlam based on the 6 man tag - the other 4 were all matched up against each other.

Online tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 02:13:21 AM »
I really dug all the pre- and post-match stuff with Lesnar, Heyman, and Hogan. The match was obviously limited by what little Hogan could do (and people wanted him to wrestle this year?!), but they did alright with what they had. Hogan taking a running powerbomb and an F-5 was pretty surprising.

I kinda liked all the midcard stuff, too. The Smackdown Almost 6 stuff running through the night was great, Billy & Chuck vs. 2 Count was fun, and everything else was at least seemed to be serving some purpose. Also, high flyin' Mark Henry blew my mind.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 04:51:40 AM »
Watching the 1/13/06 Smackdown! Was gonna write it up for Ten Years After but can't find the time so I'll live blog it a bit here.

20th Anniversary Piper's Pit with THE BOOGEYMAN! 2006!

Sad Batista vacates title to open the show. He says his friend Paul told him to enjoy the ride. Half to assume that's a veiled shoutout to Triple H? INSIDE REFERENCES

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
Weird assortment of dudes send well wishes to Batista backstage. Ricky Steamboat shows up outta nowhere to hug it out with Big Dave then Lashley, Road Warrior Animal (Road Warrior Animal consoles The Animal), Jim Korderas, Arn Anderson, and Rey Mysterio all try to cheer up Batista.

Teddy Long says we're gonna have a battle royal to determine the new World Champion.

Cole says this is gonna be the biggest Smackdown! ever because we'll have two titles decided. In addition to the World Title, we're gonna see Match 7 of the Best of 7 Series between Booker T and Chris Benoit for the U.S. Title. Except Randy Orton is standing in for Booker T for some reason. Oh I guess Booker T was selling a (fake?) injury. Orlando Jordan being a dumbass makes a brief cameo.

Randy Orton tells Teddy Long he's ready to win the World Title again. HOLD UP, PLAYA! YOU CAN ONLY BE IN ONE MATCH! Randy's not even fighting for the title but he made a commitment to Booker T, playa!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »
Ten years after...and I can't decide if the ads for Royal Rumble 2006 with the McMahons as Roman gladiators is the best or worst. ET TU, SHANEICUS!?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
Starting to get hype for SummerSlam so I decided to watch and liveblog the 9/5/02 episode of Smackdown, which features the only Brock Lesnar Vs Randy Orton match to date.

Last week, BIG RED EVIL Undertaker jumped to Smackdown! after getting added to a #1 Contender's Title match between Benoit and Angle and winning. Smarks of '02 must've been PISSED but I love Booger Red taking down that murderous lunatic....and Chris Benoit.

This is still "Beautiful People" era of Smackdown.

We're here from Green Bay, Wisconsin, home of historic Lambeau Field! Where you at Brody? We're gonna have a face to face interview between Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker tonight, moderated by Stephanie McMahon. Can Stephanie moderate the 2016 Presidential Debates?

WHO'S THAT JUMPING OUT THE SKY!? R-E-Y MYSTERIO, HERE WE GO! Looking about 100 pounds lighter than he would a few years later. He's facing Billy Gunn, accompanied by Chuck and Rico. Billy Gunn is seeking revenge for Rico. Rey Mysterio Vs Billy & Chuck is a p. random mini feud.

Rey Mysterio Vs Billy Gunn is actually a decent candidate for Matches That You Didn't Think Existed thread.

Michael Cole calls Billy one of the greatest tag team wrestlers of all time and I take a drink.

Michael Cole & Tazz mention that Brock Lesnar has a match tonight, in addition to the in-ring debate with Undertaker (which might be the 21st Century Lincoln Vs Douglas). Fourteen years ago, Randy Orton challenging Brock Lesnar wasn't even Brock's biggest moment for the night.

Rey wins by countering a body drop attempt from Gunn into a victory roll. Fun opener.

Rico tells Billy to calm down. Tonight is going to be the greatest moment of Billy's life. GET IN HERE, CHUCK! Oh it's this episode. :/

CHUCK DIG DEEP INTO THOSE TIGHTS AND PULL OUT THE LOVE! As bad as Russo was, the faux Russo writing staff of '02/'03 WWE might be even worse.

YES! Billy Gunn will be Chuck Palumbo's life partner. They're going to be a tag team for life.

Michael Cole is incredulous. Fans boo. 2002 was a different time. BE A STAR!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
Jamie Noble and Nidia enter.

Michael Cole: Here's another couple with an open relationship!

I thought they didn't do the Noble and Nidia were swingers angle till a while after this.

Smackdown's sponsors; Foot Locker, Clearisil, and the 2002 Internet Babe of the Year Contest!

Generic teen pop instrumental brings out Shannon Moore. Last week, he upset Tajiri. He's been on a roll. This is long before anyone wanted to hit him in the face with a brick.

This is a perfectly acceptable WWE Cruiserweight match. Of course, these guys worked each other a bunch of times .

Fans don't react much outside of chanting "Trailer Trash" at Noble & Nidia. WWE fans (especially WWE fans in Wisconsin) deriding somebody for being trailer trash is something.

And they follow it up by chanting "We want puppies." Way to prove me right!

Noble wins with a Tiger Bomb.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
Heyman hypes Brock up. He tells Brock not to take Randy Orton lightly. They came up together, they trained and sparred together. He's only 20 years old. Damn. I didn't realize Orton was THAT young when he started in WWE. Wikipedia tells me he was actually 22 but still super young. Orton knows Lesnar inside and out. Orton with his dumb boy band haircut pushes Heyman aside. He doesn't sweat ya, Brock. '02 Orton is more charismatic than I remembered. His career just wouldn't kick in until he got a more sensible haircut.

Later tonight! The Undertaker teams with Edge and Rikishi (who's kind of shrugging with a half hearted tough face as to say "Eh, I guess I was best available option) against Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero in six man action.

Backstage, Edge compliments Rikishi's "Back Dat Ass Up" t-shirt with a picture of Rikishi's ASS cheeks on the back (C'mon EBay!) Edge talks about how hilarious the Stinkface is and Rikishi tells him the Stinkface isn't supposed to be funny. It's supposed to represent all of the people who are tired of getting the ASS of life stuck in their face. Tonight, he's gonna give everybody a piece of the Kish.

From one animal to another, it's Brock Lesnar! It's time for his non-title match with Randy Orton.

This is a pretty fun, glorified squash match.

Tazz makes fun of Orton going AWOL and having to go to the brig. WONDER IF HE GOT BEAT DOWN THIS BAD in THE BRIG!

Sweet finish with Lesnar rolling over on a Orton crossbody and hitting him with the F5 in one motion.

A not yet interesting Mark Henry is WALKING. He congratulates Billy & Chuck on their engagement. He's facing Tajiri next. Another matches that you didn't think existed thread candidate!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »
Crash Holly thanks Stephanie McMahon for the opportunity. He walked out on RAW to sign with Smackdown!
The Reverend D'Von is APPALLED by Billy & Chuck. Stephanie tells him to deal with it. Stephanie says Billy & Chuck's Commitment Ceremony is NEXT WEEK on RAW! Stephanie says Billy & Chuck's love isn't immoral but D'Von impersonating a man of the cloth is! She tells D'Von to focus his attention on his match with Batista.

Mark Henry enters. He's a fun lovin' guy, Cole reminds us but WE ALL SAW what he did to Albert on Velocity last weekend. Sure. Sure, we did. He's facing Tajiri.

You know...this era of Smackdown's undercard is interesting in that it's made up of a lot of guys who were interesting at one point or another of their career but not at this particular one. THese guys are good examples. Good thing this show had the Smackdown Six and Brock Lesnar beastin'.

Mark Henry wins with a running powerslam after blocking the Tarantula. This show's been a breeze so far. Excepting some of the corny extracurricular stuff. Nothing great workrate wise but everything is at least interesting.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »
Stephanie hosts Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker's face to face in a dimly lit room backstage. Brock cuts a wooden promo about his amateur wrestling career and winning the King of the Ring, retiring Hulk Hogan, and winning the World Title in his first six months in WWE. He's 25 years old, the youngest WWE Champ in history. He implies Taker is old. We were making Taker is old jokes fifteen years ago. Undertaker cuts a great soft spoken promo. Brock hasn't been through what Undertaker's been through. No one's beat Brock up yet but Undertaker will.

I want a Big Red Evil Undertaker snapback. C'mon EBay.

Heyman talks about The Undertaker's family problems. Stephanie tells him to can it. To Lesnar, the World Title is family. Heyman says Undertaker just doesn't have to focus on the title but his pregnant wife Sara Undertaker. Dun dun dun! Heyman says he will take care of Undertaker's wife Sara after Lesnar maims Taker but he refuses to take care of Taker's unborn child. Heyman rules!

Taker and Lesnar flip over the table and have a stare down. P. awesome segment. Made me want to watch the '02 Taker-Lesnar matches, for sure.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 02:14:11 PM »
Reverend D'Von Vs Batista is next. This will probably break up our streak of decent matches but again, even though it's not very good, it's interesting to watch Batista's first awkward attempts at trying to be a dominant face.

Batista squashes D'Von Dudley with what wasn't yet called the Batista Bomb. This wasn't long enough to suck.

Thought the Reverend D'Von gimmick was even more short lived than this.

Nidia talks about how romantic Billy & Chuck's wedding is going to be. Noble non sincerely promises Nidia the best wedding in the trailer park someday.

Matt Hardy watches footage of his match last week against Brock Lesnar with Shannon Moore. Matt tells Shannon to watch his match with Hardcore Holly tonight to see how it's done. Follow his advice and he could be somebody. Birth of the Mattitude gimmick? Holly stops by to trashtalk and Hardy says he needs a double dose of Mattitude. Tazz guffaws so I guess this was the beginning of MATTITUDE.

Angle and Eddie debate over who has been screwed over more recently. Angle calls Eddie "Cheech". Angle mocks Chris Benoit with Angle staring dead eyed behind him. Benoit and Angle go nose to nose before Eddie breaks it up. Two guys that are dead and one guy who just wishes he were dead.

Hardcore Holly Vs Matt Hardy is next. I've grown more of ann appreciation for Holly since reading his book. Just seems like an honest, no BS dude. Kind of like a grouchy but lovable uncle.

Not only was this beginning of the era of Matt Hardy finding his own as a heel but beginning of an era of Matt Hardy wrestling with a shirt on.

Holly wins a fistful of tights, outheeling Hardy.

Smackdown's #1 Announcer Funaki interviews Rico about Billy & Chuck's commitment ceremony. Rico's not only planning this but will be Chuck's witness and Billy's best man. He hopes Funaki will be there.

HOLLY COUSINS REUNION! Hardcore wishes Crash good luck. Crash Holly is in action next. DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
Crash Holly is facing The Hurricane. Tbh, I wasn't sure if Crash Holly was not only still on WWE roster at this point, I didn't know if he was still alive in September '02. He didn't pass until November 2003. RIP Crash. Hope you're defending the WWF Hardcore Title in Heaven, brother. :'(

Crash wins with a fluke rollup. Got to be considered a marginal update. Hurricane and Crash shake hands.

Our main event is next.

Ang'es pin striped tights were p. underrated, I think. Although it did kind of remind me of Virgil's singles career ringwear. Which might be why I think it's underrated tbh.

I never realized Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit had a mash up theme. Although it wasn't much of a mashup. It was just LATINO HEAT being said before the bitchin' OLP tune.

Edge's Rob Zombie theme is kept in. I guess I haven't watched much '02 WWE on the Network cause this seems like a surprise.

The Undertaker, Rikishi, and Edge is almost like a BattleBowl team. Although I guess I have to take in consideration that Undertaker and Kish were buds IRL. And I guess that overrode the absurdity, storyline wise, of those teaming.

Bonestreet Krew 4 Life.

I wonder if Brody knows the person who made the TITLE TAKER TOWN sign.

Sstandard WWE B show/house show six man tag main event. It ends with HEEL DISSENSION as Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle brawl outside and Eddie gets his ass kicked by the babyfaces. Undertaker pins Eddie Guerrero with a one handed chokeslam.

Dumb, fun ending to a dumb, fun show. I like '02 Smackdown.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
I like Smackdown '02 also.  I kinda want to go watch the tag title tournament from that fall, which would cover me rewatching a show I went to live because there was a Smackdown featuring some of the shittier matches in that tournament that I attended.
[img width=800

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 07:35:56 AM »

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
I've been rereading Jericho's books (well, rereading first two then reading third for first time) because of his recent career revival and randomly decided to watch the 5-2-2002 episode of Smackdown to see him Vs Hulk Hogan. I don't think I watched this show because I zoned out during Hogan's wack ass '02 WWE World Title run but genuinely curious to see if that match was as good as Jericho said it was in his second book.

I believe this might be the last televised WWF show. Name change happened right around this time.

Show started with a Billy & Chuck Vs Hurricane & Rikishi match and Kurt Angle telling Lance Storm that he thought Mario Lemieux faked having Hodgkin's to get sympathy. So p. good episode so far.

Lance Storm's modeling Kurt Angle's new "American Hero. It's True! It's True! I've Got Gold! How About You?" t-shirt while Angle cuts a promo. I imagine all of those shirts were destroyed in an incinerator after the name change. :(

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Kurt Angle tells the fans to stop spending so much money on BEER and PORNO and buy his new shirt (available only in XXL and larger...which probably wouldn't be too much of an impediment for sales for WWE's fanbase in 2016!).

Edge shows up and has Val Venis model the "You Suck! Kurt Angle" t-shirt. I really feel like the "You Suck!" and "What?" era kind of paved the way for 99% of annoying fans today. One of my many random pro wrestling opinions.

Edge goads Kurt Angle into a Hair Vs Hair match at Judgment Day. Who is going to lose his hair? The guy with the long hair or the guy with the receding hairline!?

Second match is a rematch of Randy Orton's debut against Hardcore Holly. Preceded by a segment where Stacy Keibler tries to hit on an annoyed Randy Orton and if this wasn't wrestling, I'd assume a PORNO was going to break out.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
Cole & Tazz talk about Hardcore Holly wanting to eat Orton up. Now it seems like a GAY PORNO is about to break out.

Said this when I watched the episode from Fall '02 but Orton as a plucky rookie babyface just seems weird.

Hardcore Holly LOVES beating up greenhorns. Just watch Tough Enough 2 on MTV.

Orton only got booked against Holly because Vince was pissed because he thought Orton hit on Stacy Keibler. I don't remember Stacy being Vince's assistant. Miss a little, miss a lot.

Holly gets DQ'd for hitting Orton in the ding ding. After the match, Holly Alabama Slams Orton onto the entrance ramp.

COLE IS APPALLED! YOU'RE A JERK, BOB HOLLY! Damn. Harsh.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
Ron Simmons has won a lot of money betting on Mark Henry. He gives Mark Henry a crisp $20 bill for his troubles. Reverend D'Von barges in and says betting is evil but they can make it right by donating it to him. Mark Henry says D'Von better testify his ass out of here.

That transitions into Vince McMahon wanting to lick Stacy Keibler's belly button. WHY IS THERE NOT A VOMIT EMOTICON ON HERE!? He's interrupted by Jericho. Vince is pissed.  Jericho's afraid Hogan will intentionally disqualify him. Vince makes this match No DQ and says anyone who interferes will be suspended except for Triple H who will be FIRED if he interferes.

Jericho plops down on the couch but Vince throws him out so he can lick Stacy's belly button.

Vince talking about wanting to get busy transitions into a segment memorializing Wahoo McDaniel and Lou Thesz, who had both passed away earlier that week. I'm sure Thesz was honored that tribute to his career was preceded by Vince wanting to lick someone's belly button.

Edge & The Big Valbowski Vs Kurt Angle & Lance Storm is next. This was that two week period where they tried to call Val Venis "The Big Valbowski" for some reason. Edge and Val seems like a random tag team that really shouldn't feel random considering they were brother-in-law IRL at this point.

Crowd reaction is split because we're in Pittsburgh.  Despite Kurt Angle saying Mario Lamieux faked cancer and accusing the crowd of being PORNO FREAKS, a hometown boy is still a hometown boy.

Angle and Storm win when Angle rolls up Val after an illegal superkick from Lance Storm while the referee (a skinny Teddy Long) is distracted. This was a perfectly decent TV tag team match as you'd expect. The porno freaks in Pittsburgh go wild.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Mark Henry & Faarooq Vs Test & Christian is next. I'm not sure why WWF wasn't openly acknowledging Mark Henry & Faarooq being in Nation of Domination together but they should've.

Honda and Stacker 2 are our sponsors for tonight's show.

Test is very sunburnt. If he was still alive ten years later and was forty pounds heavier, maybe he and not Matt Hardy would've been the brunt of a bunch of Volcano Tacos jokes from TRTSM. :'(

Basis of this match is Mark Henry is VERY UPSET that people don't think he's as strong he is.  This was a good five or six years before Mark Henry got interesting.

Sign: BOB HILL (HEART SYMBOL)'s  CLUB EROTICA
Which TSMer is Bob Hill!?

D'Von tries to raise money for the Reverend D'Von Building Fund in the crowd, distracting Faarooq and Mark Henry. He gets a few donations. I would've given legit money for Reverend D'Von's fake fundraiser if I was at a Smackdown taping in '02 and so would you (and maybe you did!). Mark waddles after D'Von in the crowd.

Tazz: (on Henry chasing after D'Von) He's hauling BUTT!

Hey! PG Era is not around for another six years!

Christian & Test get the "big upset win" after the distraction but I don't really see how it's an upset since I feel like Christian and Test were way bigger stars in May '02 than Mark Henry & Faarooq. But wondering these things is why I'm watching 14 year old Smackdowns at 1:30 AM in the morning right now.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
Tajiri Vs Kidman in a rematch from Backlash 2002 is next.

These Kidman-Tajiri matches always felt slightly less awesome than they would be if they happened in ECW or WCW but I'm not sure if that's valid. This doesn't seem as obviously watered down as the mid '00s Cruiserweight matches. Maybe it was just weird seeing these guys in a WWE ring. This match is solid. I guess only complaint is its not nearly given enough time.

Tajiri wins with the Buzzsaw Kick while Kidman's distracted tending to Torrie Wilson after Tajiri pulls her in front of him.

I'm guessing WWE Creative pulled Tajiri and Torrie Wilson's name out of a hat when they were deciding which wrestler and manager should try and replicate Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth in 2002.

This era of Torrie Wilson is another example of PORNO level acting.

Tazz says what we just saw was NOT COOL AT ALL! Hate contrite heel announcers.

Cole is APPALLED AGAIN! AT LEAST HELP THE POOR WOMAN UP!

Vince and Stacy Keibler get dressed. Vince tells Stacy to bring Triple H off to the office and then gazes off in a post coital glow. YUCK!

AFTER THE BREAK. Vince tells Triple H that since they're technically related before the divorce proceedings go through, he should let him know that if Triple H interferes tonight, it's GAME OVER! As in Triple H, is FIRED! Triple H looks on as if he knows that he's definitely not gonna get fired IRL.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:18 AM »
Finally wrapping this up. Main event time.

Fan has a "JERICHO IS A HAS BEEN" sign which is just baffling.

Does anyone know why Hulk didn't use "Real American" during his '02/'03 WWE run? It just seems baffling to be Hogan wearing red & yellow but basically just acting like Hollywood Hogan and using the same theme music.

This match is...about as good as you can expect an '02 Hogan match to be but it's not great like Jericho said it was in his second book (I'm gonna go ON THE LIST for criticizing 14 year old matches of Jericho's on a message board). I do like that they portray Jericho as obviously the superior wrestler but Hogan gets the win via distraction from The Undertaker's titan tron playing (Limp Bizkit FTW). One thing I do like about Hogan's 02 run is how willing he was to put dudes over but then I think he saw that box office wasn't great and he was like "WTF? I'm not doing this ever again".

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »
Hogan's 02 run was really underrated and I really liked that 02-03 stretch on Smackdown.  Wasn't until 2004 where Smackdown started getting less interesting but think that is because HHH tried bringing the workers over to RAW with the worse writing team.

Always enjoy reading these write-ups by you, Kamala.  Hope to someday follow in your footsteps  :)
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 09:06:51 AM »
They've added a bunch of '04 Smackdowns to the Network and now pretty much have the whole year up there. For the four of you who enjoy JBL's World Title run and "Professor X" GM Kurt Angle.

Offline DMann1979

• That's a Shame
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
They've added a bunch of '04 Smackdowns to the Network and now pretty much have the whole year up there. For the four of you who enjoy JBL's World Title run and "Professor X" GM Kurt Angle.

There's also an interesting curiosity, John Cena getting unanimous cheers. Crazy.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Now they're starting to upload the 2005 Smackdowns on WWE Network. Good news for people who love booking changed on the fly.

'05-'06 Smackdown, believe it or not, is when I casually started getting into wrestling again. Whichever year Smackdown went to Fridays. I'd go up to my family's camp on weekends  where we didn't have cable and Smackdown was best available option on Friday nights. That's the period where I regrettably became a big Mr. Kennedy fan. :( I guess it's better than me deciding to become a regular viewer of The Ghost Whisperer instead but just barely!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Sort of randomly picked a Smackdown! from 2004 to watch.

Begins with the debut of Professor X Kurt Angle and him crying and yelling at the audience for cheering end of his career! HE CAN'T EVEN HAVE SEX WITH HIS WIFE ANYMORE BECAUSE THE BIG SHOW CHOKED HIM OFF THAT PLATFORM!!! (huge pop ensues)

Then he makes a No DQ match between Torrie Wilson and Rene Dupree. FML.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »
sounds like a great choice  8)
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
John Cena interrupted that No DQ match pretty quickly.

Backstage, Kurt Angle groused about how rap music was ruining America then booked Rene Dupree to challenge John Cena for the US Title. HE NEVER THOUGHT HE'D SAY THIS BUT HE WANTS A FRENCHMAN TO BE US CHAMPION!

Now, it's Chavo Guerrero Jr defending the Cruiserweight Title against Nunzio, which probably happened 1,432 times in the mid '00s I feel like.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »
A "Thank the troops" segment is immediately followed by Rico doing his Exotic Adrian Street schtick and making Charlie Haas come out in Lisa Frank-esque tights and getting laughed at. HAHA! GAY! Classic WWE Segway. AMERICA: ALREADY GREAT!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
Most of 2006 episodes of Smackdown! episode are up. I think I'm only one who remembers this era semi-fondly. Time to rewatch Rey's catastrophically terrible first World Title run!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »
Was that the era of the shockingly fun Tatanka/Sylvan Grenier series?

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
Edge & The Big Valbowski Vs Kurt Angle & Lance Storm is next. This was that two week period where they tried to call Val Venis "The Big Valbowski" for some reason.

I was gonna ask if they ever actually billed him/introduced him as such, or it was just a nickname. The movie title it was lampooning was, what, six years old at that point? Ridiculous.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Remember that Vince McMahon is the guy who got rid of Paul Burchill's Jack Sparrow gimmick because he didn't know about the Pirates of the Caribbean series*.  WWE is always a few years behind the time.

2007 episodes of Smackdown are being uploaded now for all of you Khali fans out there!

*Not saying that Paul Burchill's Jack Sparrow gimmick wasn't terrible and it shouldn't have been axed but "too obscure" reference is the last reason that should have been used.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
2008 episodes of Smackdown starting to trickle in for all of you people who loved whatever Edge's stable with Chavo Guerrero, Curt Hawkins, and Zack Ryder was called.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
Edge as Smackdown's HHH was the best timeline.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• CXF Writer
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
2009 through 2011 has been added so now every Smackdown is on Network, I think.

So we get to enjoy Smackdown's decline into being an irrelevant B-show with these 2010 episodes.

And hey! We can watch Jack Swagger's brief World Title run just in time for his release from the company.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
Gonna fire up the MAY 19th, 2006 episode of Smackdown and share my thoughts within.

It's my birthday today and I have lot of leftover booze and the day off tomorrow.

*I had parties on Friday and Saturday. I'm not centering my 30th Birthday around watching the MAY 19th episode of Smackdown!

Spoiler: show
Or am I?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
Show opens with JBL being a racist dick to Rey Mysterio. This was during the era where JBL was having monster heels destroy Rey Mysterio. Two weeks before, Rey lost to a not quite yet interesting Mark Henry and one week before, Ray got squashed by The Great Khali in his hometown in front of Dominic!

A lot has been said about how horrible this made World Champion Rey Mysterio look and that should be main focus when talking about how bad this storyline was. But the storyline ended with Rey beating JBL pretty handily in a couple matches...which really made the World Title look like a joke.

We're two days away from Judgment Day 2006. JBL cuts a racist promo about Rey and his people. Latino's have a lot of heart and passion. But machismo is Spanish for "more guts than brains". He brings up the late Eddie Guerrero. They really liked bringing up poor dead Eddie Guerrero. JBL is gonna win a World Title from Rey on Sunday like he won from Eddie Guerrero.

JBL says tonight, Rey Mysterio is going to play with fire. This will be a night he will never forget after JBL announces his mystery opponent. Huh. Which WWE superstar of the past 20 years is associated with fire? OMG! Is Rey going to face Funaki tonight?