Author Topic: Smackdown! Replays thread  (Read 4111 times)

Description:

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
Re: Smackdown! Replays thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
Cole and Tazz wonder what could POSSIBLY BE WORSE than Mark Henry and Great Khali.

Howard Finkel introduces the THREESOME of MNM for our mixed six man tag opener. Fink was still doing shows in '06.

Last week, Jillian Hall and Londrick snuck up on MNM and pantsed them, in what Tazz calls one of the greatest moments in the history of Friday Night Smackown. Jillian is facing Melina and Londrick is facing MNM on Sunday at Judgment Day.

Cole & Tazz explain this is a mixed tag match and not an intergender match so men can't wrestle the women. We're a few years away from TV PG era so I guess intergender matches were still possible. I don't recall any after Vince Vs Stephanie at No Mercy 2003

I have no recollection of plucky babyface Jillian Hall. I thought she went from JBL's image consultant to terrible singer.  She is very very green at this point but then again, so is Melina.

Tazz says Cole hates Melinda cause he's never heard a broad scream before. Michael Cole calls him out using the term broad. THIS IS WHAT A FEMINIST LOOKS LIKE.

Londrick & Jillian get the win when Jillian hits a crappy flying bodypress on Melina. Londrick has gotten five straight victories over MNM. And they won at the PPV two days after this. So that was a hard write off for MNM...except they reunited like six months later.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »
We get footage from the Judgment Day '06 press conference earlier this week in Phoenix.Wonder if my boy Baby Shoes was at this great event. We hear from Mark Henry, King Booker, JBL and Rey Mysterio. Worth noting that the theme for Judgment Day '06 was later reused as CM Punk's first WWE theme.

the mystery wrestler graphic at this point, I think was Ken Kennedy but don't quote me on that.

Video package for Mark Henry Vs Kurt Angle at Judgment Day '06. This feud just kind of felt like another waste of Angle's time as he headed out the company. A few years later, it'd be awesome. Hell, even now, I think I MIGHT enjoy Angle Vs Henry in an OLD DOG OLYMPIAN FEUD! But in '06, Henry just had too many years of bad booking to shake off.

Angle cuts a promo on Mark Henry about how they met at the '96 Olympics and Henry's always been jealous of Angle for winning the Gold Medal.

We get a recap of Finlay trying to get one up on Lashley and getting speared for his trouble.

Lashley is one match away from becoming King of the Ring. He faces Booker T in the tournament finals on Sunday. Tonight, he is facing a jobber named Jared Steele who looks like vaguely familiar.

Lashley picks up a quick win with the spear. This will be a tough match on Sunday between crafty veteran Booker and the EXPLOSIVE Lashley.

It is amazing that WWE is still trying to make Lashley a thing (albeit after a long layoff of not trying to make it a thing). HARD HITTING, soft spoken

Lashley stops at the crown and thrown on entrance stage and Booker T and Sharmell storm out and confront him. He is not the king yet!

Booker T and Finlay Vs Chris Benoit and Gunner Scott is next.

Video package for The Undertaker Vs Great Khali at Judgment Day on Sunday. Is Great Khali the NEW phenom? Another thing that is wild...Taker is still wrestling 12 years later. And Great Khali did not replace him as new phenom of WWE. And PROBABLY won't, judging on his Greatest Royal Rumble cameo.

Meanwhile, on RAW, Mr. McMahon wanted Triple H to hit Shawn Michaels with a damn sledgehammer during Shawn's match with Spirit Squad Kenny. But Triple H (in a King of Kings basketball jersey) accidentally hit guest referee Shane McMahon. Vince McMahon does some classic Vince overacting, crying and cradling Shane in his arms.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Picking this up.

It's Booker T and Fit Finley Vs Chris Benoit and his young protege Gunner Scott. If Gunner Scott didn't get mentioned in that most forgettable WWE wrestlers thread a few years back he should've.

I thought Gunner was gonna get a solid mid-card push then I went to a house show a month after this episode and he got squashed by Sylvester Terkay. I wonder what happened there.

Finlay really should've had a cup of coffee with the World Title in '06-'07.

Tazz: This is not Booker T's first barbecue.
Is that racist?

Benoit and Gunner Scott win a p. good tag team match after Gunner gets a surprise cradle pin on Booker after Lashley wanders out and sits in the throat. For the 2nd time, Booker T has been pinned by Chris Benoit's plucky young protege Gunner Scott. Booker T is shook by the hard hitting, soft spoken Bobby Lashley.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
Video package for the return of TATANKA.

Shawn Daivari cuts a promo on The Undertaker and we get a vignette of Great Khali destroying Undertaker.

He's so huge! Over 7 feet tall! He might be the man who will finally destroy The Undertaker.

The Great Khali hobbles out and cuts a promo in Hindi. Electric.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
Great thread and you are truly watching some GOLDEN ERAS.  I did not realize they did a Judgment Day press conference.  I did go to the PPV itself and marked out when I did appear on camera watching the DVD way back when.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• CXF Writer
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
If I ever finish watching NXT Redemption, I might go through a late '00s Smackdown season next tbh.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
Michael Cole hypes up Gregory Helms defending his WWE Cruiserweight Title on Velocity this weekend on WWE.com against Psicosis.

Put Velocity on the WWE Network, baby.

Friday Night Smackdown is brought to you by Nintendo DS, the National Highway Commission (Click It Or Ticket), and Burger King)

Speaking of Burger King, Mark Henry has been having his way lately, sez Cole.

Mark Henry is facing Matt Hardy. Amazing how quickly Matt Hardy went from hottest name in wrestling back to being mid card fodder during this era. I saw Matt get squashed by Khali in less than two minutes at the aforementioned house show I saw during this era.

Matt gets more offense than a typical job guy but not that much more before he eats a World's Strongest Slam and Henry wins. And he gets a post match beatdown. That's what you get for being cucked, I guess, Matt.

Mark Henry grabs the mic and calls out Kurt Angle after. ON SUNDAY, HE IS GONNA FINISH WHAT HE STARTED IN '06 WITH ANGLE!

Mark Henry yells at the crowd that they wish he was him. Ain't that the truth.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
Backstage, Nunzio and Vito are making plans to meet up with that girl with the cannolis at the bakery and her sister.

Those plans are interrupted by Paul Burchill by saying that he saw Vito in a dress last week. Nunzio is appalled.

Vito being a fun loving hetero dude who loves banging chicks and wearing chicks is one of those WWE gimmicks that is both wildly ahead of its time and behind its time. Mostly behind cause WWE portrayed the notion of a super hetero dude wearing dresses as even crazier than a guy who dresses up and acts like Captain Jack Sparrow, ya savvy.

Tazz and Cole run down the Judgment Day card.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
Main event time. World Champion Rey Mysterio Vs his mystery opponent.

Rey is wearing a visor over his mask which is his a supremely dumb look.

Click It Or Ticket Slam of the Week is Great Khali squashing Rey while JBL LOLs.

JBL comes out and trolls Rey while speaking Spanglish. Rey doesn't even know where he is. They're in Albuquerque, North Mexico. He's got brain damage, ese! He doesn't even know what year it is! He probably thinks Eddie Guerrero is still alive! last part wasn't even said.

Rey knows what day it is...it's MAY 19th!

OH MY GOD IT'S KANE!

Tazz and Cole FLIP THE FUCK OUT!

JBL, YOU SICK BASTARD! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!? NOT KANE!!!!

JBL says Rey could've avovided this if he hadn't said MAY 19th!

Michael Cole says Rey is a GREAT Champion despite constantly getting his ass kicked and losing.

JBL talks about how Latino machismo doesn't translate to money. *tugs collar* eee yee yee

The lights go down. and a CGI of Kane's mask is shown on the Titantron. Kane cowers and Rey hits the 619.

Kane catches him with a chokeslam. JBL tries to reason with Kane. Finish Rey! He's the one who said May 19th! Kane chokeslams JBL and the match ends.

LOL! Way to hype your pay per view by having both of the main event competitiors get their ass beat by KANE!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »
Watched the post No Way Out '04 Smackdown! cause I was kind of curious as to how they followed up Eddie's title win after listening the Prichard podcast on the PPV.

Brock Lesnar fake crying promo was very bizarre. Wonder if this was right around the time he decided he had enough and was leaving. Pouty heel is NOT really in Brock's wheelhouse.

What an interesting year 2004 was. Will probably watch more. At least until Professor X GM Kurt Angle shows up.