Author Topic: Wrestling Books Discussion Zone  (Read 28933 times)

Description:

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
Wrestling Books Discussion Zone
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:42:44 AM »
I'd like to discuss the various books out there regarding the True Sport of Kings. Be it the biographies, histories, whatever. I've got most of the noteworthy books on the topic, but here's a start:

HAVE A NICE DAY: I didn't actually pick this up until years after it'd been published. By then, I'd already read several wrestler biographies, so it didn't have the same impact as it would have had I read it in 1999. A fine read, although Foley's constant self-deprecation borders on attention whoring after a while.

FOLEY IS GOOD: Not bad if you stop reading it after the episode with the Mickey Mouse girl at Disneyland. The epilogue in which Foley takes on the PTC and the other anti-WWF watchdog groups gets old quickly.

THE HARDCORE DIARIES: I wouldn't have bought this book myself, but a friend got it for me as a birthday present last year. Did we really need THREE volumes of the Mick Foley Memoirs? No. Although I'm a fan of the Foley/Edge vs. Funk/Dreamer match, Foley really needed to get over himself and get out of WWE.

IN THE PIT WITH PIPER: Piper either doesn't understand or doesn't care that we actually wanted to read an in-depth account of his life and career. Instead, what we got was an extended Roddy Piper promo with a ton of factual and historical errors. I was left wanting more out of one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. Check out his shoot interview with RF Video instead.

PURE DYNAMITE: Nobody ever seems to be able to find a copy of this book unless it's online. However, I came across it at a Barnes & Noble in Berkeley, of all places. Go me! I would have preferred to have seen things portrayed in a more positive light, but I can't help but laugh at some of the sadism displayed in stiffing other wrestlers or pulling ribs on them.

THE RISE AND FALL OF ECW: Little to no difference between the book and the DVD, although it's good to get the dates for particular cards as well as the rundown of what matches took place. Otherwise, I'd stick with Hardcore History instead.

RING OF HELL: I wrote a review of this one on my blog, and I'm going to say the same things about it here: If this were somebody's blog or a Wikipedia entry, it'd probably be okay. Unfortunately, it was a $25 hardcover book instead. If you ask me, that commands a higher standard of research and writing. But if Randazzo could get a wrestling book published using the research material that he has, all of us should be getting book deals any day now.

HITMAN: I'm reading this book again right now. It's safe to say that Hitman is my favorite of all the wrestler autobiographies. I think Bret Hart maintains a balanced perspective most of the time, and you can tell that he really did love the business and his fellow wrestlers. His post-Montreal/post-Owen attitude grated on me after a while, but this book gave me a new understanding of why that was. A fine companion to the Bret Hart DVD.
https://letterboxd.com/Jake6669/

Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:15:02 AM »
Jericho's Around the World in Spandex is the best by far, but I say this without having read Bret Hart's book.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:28:56 AM »
"Did we really need THREE volumes of the Mick Foley Memoirs"

Stay tuned...his 4th one is being written right now.

Offline Love Harnesser Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »
Jericho's Around the World in Spandex is the best by far, but I say this without having read Bret Hart's book.

Jericho's has displaced Have A Nice Day as my #1 wrestling book. The description of The Strange Kentucky People video and the part about Karl Moffat putting a bounty on Jericho's tag team partner (can't recall his name off the top of my head) and the ensuing result had me literally banging my fist on the table, laughing. It's rare for anything to induce that reaction in me but Jericho's book did it twice.

Bret Hart's book is very, very good but his narcissism is mildly annoying. I'd rank it a bit behind Jericho and Foley's first one. Foley Is Good is entertaining for the first two-thirds or so but as the original poster said, his ranting against the PTC gets extremely annoying really quick. The other three I've read are Ted DiBiase's first autobiography, Goldberg's book (given to me as a Christmas gift), and the first WrestleCrap book, all of which sucked to varying degrees. DiBiase (the only mildly interesting parts were when he was talking about his childhood) and the WrestleCrap ones (it basically just seemed like the site in book form...perhaps the moment when the site jumped the shark) were real letdowns but I was kind of expecting crap from Goldberg's book.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:43:33 AM »
I'm only three chapters into 'HITMAN' but already it's great. It's the little things Bret speaks with, like the mini-story about how Owen turned on his sisters when asked to move in with his brothers, was pure gold. I look forward to reading the rest of the book.

Also, I never found any trouble finding Pure Dynamite, its a great read too, although you do feel kind of sorry for the guy after you finish and you realise what happened to him.

This will be an odd call and probably nobody will agree with me, but Jerry Lawler's book was a fun read.

Edit: To Kamala, I found DiBiase's book very interesting, especially as I don't know much about the guy. I wasn't aware that he had potential in other sports like he did.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:47:51 AM »
The first Foley book is great while the second is 'only' really good. Bret's book is both enthralling and disturbing at the same time; Bret's formative years in the business make it come across like such a sleazy and disgusting deal that you're left wondering why anybody would stick with it for more than five minutes.

I skimmed the Jericho book and it looked informative but I haven't read it in depth. I'd recommend people get a hold of Jim Cornette's recently released book in the Midnight Express.

Offline Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:54:57 AM »
I've only read a few but out of the ones I read, Foley's first book was indeed the best. I liked how Foley went in depth about his life before wrestling.

I've also read The Rock's book (which sucked since half the freakin' book is written in character), Stone Cold's (which was ok), Flair's (which was good), the Wrestlecrap book (which, like Kamala said is pretty much the website in book form), and the Death of WCW (which I enjoyed a lot).

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »
Has anybody read JJ Dillon's book? I bet he has some fascinating stories to tell given the fact that he was one of Vince's right hand men during one of the WWF's low points and a higher up with WCW in its final years (not to mention hanging out with Flair in the '80s)

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
Imagine if Jim Cornette wrote an autobiography about his entire career?  Fucker would be about 2,000 pages.  I might check out that Midnight Express book though.

I think Bret's and Jericho's are my favorites.  Bret doesn't pull any punches and is pretty forthcoming about a lot of things while Jericho's is just a fun read.  I tried to reread Shawn Michaels' book and couldn't get through it because I got sick of the whining and "it wasn't MY fault" crap I seem to have missed the first time.

I would be all over a Vince autobiography in a second.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't more love on here for William Regal's book. It was an amazing read. He really didn't hold back anything. I have to find my copy of it and read it again after I reread Bruce Campbell's 2 books.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Books I've Read and Give a Full Recommendation:
Have a Nice Day
Pure Dynamite
Hitman
The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Heels
The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams
National Wrestling Alliance
Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks

Mild Recommendation:
Foley Is Good
Bobby the Brain (Amusing, it's just 90% anecdotes.  I get the feeling his co-author conducted the interview and did little to edit it.)

Did Not Like:
The Hardcore Diaries
Tonight, In This Very Ring
Andre the Giant

I can not say enough bad things about Andre's biography.  It is seriously 80% articles from 1980s WWF magazine, written in kayfabe.  Absolutely terrible, uninformative and uninteresting.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't more love on here for William Regal's book. It was an amazing read. He really didn't hold back anything. I have to find my copy of it and read it again after I reread Bruce Campbell's 2 books.

I've heard it's good but it wasn't really well-promoted. Hell, I didn't know it was out until months after it was released.

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Riding the waves of Insanity
    • Watersfall Industries
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
The Death of WCW

By RD Reynolds & Brian Alveraz.

CURRENT EPISODE: Watercolors #7: Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling
"You're only given a little spark of madness.  And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
HBO Special

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »
I've been pretty lucky with all the books I've read, I've really only hated the Rock's book. That book was horrible. So fucking horrible. It actually made me steer clear of Austin's and Angle's book in the fear that they would be like the Rock's book.

DDP: I liked this book mainly because of his time before he got into wrestling. His stories about running a club and other things is pretty interesting.

Chris Jericho: I really really liked this book but he sorta came off as egotistic in the book and that really bugged me.

Ric Flair, Freddie Blassie, Terry Funk, Bobby Heenan's books, Bischoff, The Death of WCW, Piper, Pure Dynamite are all really enjoyable books.

Bret Hart: I'm currently reading his book and I'm really enjoying it. The fact that it's so detailed and informative makes it one of the best books I've read yet.

Mick Foley: I liked all 3 books, even the Hardcore Diaries. Finding out how Vince McMahon or the writing team kaboshed Foley's ideas that were actually really good made the book really interesting for me.
WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
The only problem with that Bret Hart book is that every other chapter he makes sure you know that so and so told him he was the greatest wrestler of all time.

Other than that...it was probably my favorite book.  That one or Pure Dynamite or Foley is Good.  Those 3 are at the top.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »
Death of WCW - Utterly fantastic.

Edge - Solid.

Batista - Solid. Lots of funny stories, not as much wrestling stuff.

Stone Cold - Decent.

Rock - Terrible.

Chyna - Okay.

Mick Foley - Great, good, good.

Jericho - The best wrestler book.

Wrestlecrap Book of Lists - Okay.

Tonight In This Very Ring - Nice to get a history lesson and remember how much stuff sucked, but it sure is biased.

Wow, I've read a lot more than I figured I did.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »
One that never gets mentioned enough is Lou Thesz's book Hooker.  (To explain, "hooker" was ancient-school carny lingo for a shooter.)  It's been out of print forever and was never widely released anyway, so it's hard to find anywhere but on Ebay.  It's not only Thesz's story, but practically a history book about the entire business of wrestling over the course of the twentieth century.  Lou certainly has his own biases (damn he hated Antonio Rocca), but he doesn't seem to kayfabe anything and tells a shitload of old stories that you'd never hear anywhere else. 

Co-sign on Jericho's book and Death of WCW too, both a whole lot of fun.   

Mick Foley: I liked all 3 books, even the Hardcore Diaries. Finding out how Vince McMahon or the writing team kaboshed Foley's ideas that were actually really good made the book really interesting for me.
This.  I don't get the whining about Foley being whiny.  Sure he complains a lot, but if the stories were all factual, he did have a lot to complain about.  I actually liked it better than Foley is Good, which seemed like half a book's worth of wrestling stories padded out to interminable length with Mick rambling about roller coasters and the PTC and charity work and anything else that came to mind. 

BTW, anyone ever read any of Mick's novels?  I caught Tietam Brown, and damn that was dark.  Foley has issues. 

Chyna - Okay.
LIES.  Unless you just enjoyed getting a preview at how fucking crazy this woman is, long before her various public indiscretions. 

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
I think it's a crime that Heenan's autobiography gets largely ignored. Everything, from how he came up to working for the WWF during their peak in the 80's to jumping to WCW and so on was either informative, entertaining or an excellent mix of both.

His second book... not so much.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
The only problem with that Bret Hart book is that every other chapter he makes sure you know that so and so told him he was the greatest wrestler of all time.

I can believe that. I'm reading a magazine interview with him now, where he's been asked one question, "what did you think of HHH/Orton at WM?" In three paragraphs, he's basically put over Bret/Owen WMX, put over Bret/Austin WM13 and called HHH a "Bret Hart wannabee". A Ric Flair wannabee? Sure. A Harley Race wannabee? I can buy that. A Bret Hart wannabee!? Where's he getting that one from!?

I'll add Goldberg to the list and shamefully admit to having bought it. I don't think I made it halfway through. I did like Shawn's and I thought Hardcore Diaries was interesting too.

Offline Bigelow34

• The Place to Be
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 12:31:56 AM »
I will agree that the best part of Page's book was his pre-wrestling stuff. His early wrestling stuff was good too, but once he got to 1997 or so he went kayfabe style and it went right down hill.

My favorites are the usuals: Bret, Jericho and Foleys. Dynamite's too.

Gary Michael Capetta's was a pretty fun read too.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
I will agree that the best part of Page's book was his pre-wrestling stuff.

This is the same with Dave Batista too.

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »
The Death of WCW

By RD Reynolds & Brian Alveraz.

^This.

It's a great read.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Online Sabre

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »
Ive read both the original Foley books and they were great.  Keep meaning to pick up #3 tho.

Ive read Austins book and its a nice read, but it doesnt tell us anything besides what we already knew.

Ive also got HBKs book, keep meaning to read it, but never got around to it.

Offline Rock Star From Mars

• (atticus Chaos)
  • (atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »
Chyna's is notable for her, of all people, calling Goldberg a crap wrestler, and accusing Sable of having an ego.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:51 AM »
1. Jericho
2. Foley's Have a Nice Day
3. Pure Dynamite
4. Hitman
5. Bobby the Brain's first book.

Foley's 3rd book was all kinds of nothing special.

Jericho's blew me away. Great storyteller.

DDP's book sucked. Sh#t like this was annoying to read. Plus I didn't care about his club days.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 05:44:44 AM »
Oh yeah---time for a mildly embarrassing confession, I forgot to mention I own an unauthorized biography of Chyna. I bought it for a buck or two on clearance at a book store near my camp. It was about as good as you'd expect an unauthorized biography of Chyna to be (which is not at all).

Offline Bigelow34

• The Place to Be
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 07:51:34 AM »
I have it too. My wife worked for a NPO in Stamford four years back. They had a fundraiser and WWE donated a box of stuff. They didn't need it all or there were some duplicates, so she brought that and the History of IC Title DVD home. I still havent read it. I do find it funny that Chyna had been gone for like four years and they still included it in the package.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

I've heard it's good but it wasn't really well-promoted. Hell, I didn't know it was out until months after it was released.

Regal was in town for a book signing and I didn't find out until a half hour after he left the store for RAW. There was absolutely zero promotion for the signing, let alone the actual book.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
I loved Hitman's book for the stories, but he sure was full of himself throughout the book. Especially when everyone constantly told him he was the best and the man and how he had to remind us he was loved EVERYWHERE.
Oh and I didn't get his constant bashing of Dave Meltzer before turning around and raving about how many stars he got in the WON or how he liked what was said about him.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
Oh I forgot I read HBK's book. It has a lot of interesting stories but it's hard to know what's a lie and what's the truth.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
Read:
Bret Hart, All three of Foley, The rock, Kurt Angle, WrestleCrap, the Death of WCW, The Buzz on Wrestling, Dungeon of Death.

Of those The Rock' is awful, Kurt Angle's wasn't anything special, and The Buzz on Wrestling was really written for the marks and no one else. Foley's 3rd book doesn't touch the first two but I still enjoyed it. Dungeon of death is just depressing.

Own but haven't read:
Bischoff, Chris Jericho, every Scott Keith book that i haven't read, Dibiase.

And I intend to get Chyna's book just to torture myself, ditto Piper. And to not torture myself I want to get Edge, Heenan, and Regal's books.

Has anyone read Diana Hart's Under the Mat? I remember hearing it was quite terrible and I'd really like to read it, but it sells for $100+ online so I guess i'll never get to see it.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Jebus

• Be excellent to each other!
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
Has anyone read Diana Hart's Under the Mat? I remember hearing it was quite terrible and I'd really like to read it, but it sells for $100+ online so I guess i'll never get to see it.

If you're a member of any of the big pro wrestling torrent sites, the PDF file of it should still be there.
It should on rapidshare too.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Wow I can't believe how easy that was.

I'm so dumb I didn't even know it was abuse. There I was in Florida, surrounded by crackhead wrestlers with my husband, Davey Smith, aka The British Bulldog, doping my juice nightly so he could rape me while I was unconscious.

That's the FIRST paragraph. This is going to be awesome

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
The Bret book is great until he goes to WCW, then it gets sad and depressing. I haven't read Foley's 1st in a while but Jericho's Book is so awesome that it might overtake that as number 1.

Anyone read the Stampede book? I've been trying to read it for the last 6 months but I just can't get into it. Mostly has to do with the author's style.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 03:55:08 AM »
Didn't Bret say Diana's book was just kind of bitter and half-true?

I've read:

Bret Hart's Book: Like I said earlier, it's a good read I just hate how in love with himself he is and how he's so hypocritical about Meltzer.

Foley's 3 Books: Loved the first, hated the second, loved the third.

Sex, Lies and Headlocks: I'm pretty sure half of this book was misinformation or half-truths. There were so many errors that jumped out at me.

Controversy Creates Cash: This is a good book, but like the Bret Hart book Bischoff is in love with himself. Also he never did anything wrong in WCW's downfall. At least according to him.

And that's pretty much it. I thumbed through Ring of Hell but I'm pretty sure half of the book was false information.
Can anyone recommend HBK's book? I read a few things in it and I just couldn't tell what was true and what Shawn serving his ego.

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:50 AM »
Controversy Creates Cash: This is a good book, but like the Bret Hart book Bischoff is in love with himself. Also he never did anything wrong in WCW's downfall. At least according to him.

That's one of the strikes that E's book has against it. He would have you believe that he never made any bad decisions. That said, I never realized that he made so many sacrifices during the dying days of the AWA. That was one of the most interesting parts of the book.

Lots of other fascinating stories, such as his experience visiting North Korea for the Collision in Korea joint show, Time Warner suddenly wanting more hands-on control of WCW once it became a solvent product, the attempts to purchase WCW through Fusient Media and finally becoming a WWE talent make this a book that I would recommend.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
Bischoff's stories about his first few years running WCW were pretty good, though looking at some of the biases and exaggerations in other parts it does make me wonder about how accurate it was.  But once they reach the bad times from '98 onward, he goes into total Snitksy mode, making countless excuses for why nothing was his fault, and frequently skipping ahead months at a time and ignoring important bits; the words "Arquette, David" are never once mentioned, for example. 

Sex, Lies and Headlocks: I'm pretty sure half of this book was misinformation or half-truths. There were so many errors that jumped out at me.
Did you read the hardback edition?  Supposedly it had a bunch of errors in it, but I've never been able to have anyone give me a list of exactly what.  I've got the paperback version, which was supposedly heavily proofread and corrected, and there aren't many inaccuracies that I spotted in there. 

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 06:05:30 AM »
You know who really needs to write a book about his wrestling career? Warrior. It'd be 5,000 pages, but I'd read every word.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 06:12:26 AM »
Oh yes, a Warrior autobiography would be a bastion of unintentional comedy. I imagine it'd be written in all caps.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 06:30:34 AM »
Oh yes, a Warrior autobiography would be a bastion of unintentional comedy. I imagine it'd be written in all caps.

From UltimateWarrior.com:

Jacko. Finally, he beat it.
By admin

I imagine all the crying about the death of this recent drug-soused entertainment freak has most to do with the unfortunate inconvenience that the other drug-soused entertainment freaks now face. They will have to look for another local, safe and reputable babysitter. No longer will they be able to drop their kids off down the street at Jacko’s to be watched for the afternoon and spend some play time with his own kids.

I hate the paparazzi, and think they should all be shot for the obsessive invasion of privacy. But I’m really going miss ALL those TMZ and Entertainment Tonight video clips of Jacko’s and other celebrity kids playing together. You ever see any of those? Weren’t they great? Didn’t they make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside? Worked for me. Every time I caught one it made me believe maybe he wasn’t a pedophile. After all, famous and rich entertainers, with all kinds of money to go to any expense to have things accurately checked out for themselves, wouldn’t let their own little babies near a pedophile…would they?!

Well, you gotta give him credit for one thing. He spent all his money (and then some) before he died. And that’s not an easy thing to calculate. Go ahead, ask your financial planner if he has a plan to pull it off. For all the horrific mismanagement of millions and millions and millions of dollars, here at the end, Jacko did a pretty damn good job at balancing the books in his favor. Sorry, at my new age and with the way the Obama economic plan is going, I couldn’t help but recognize this stunner.

Your Founding Father of Intense Sarcasm…

Always Believe, Warrior

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »
Yeah it was the hardcover version of Sex, Lies and Headlocks that I read.

Another thing about Bret's book that bugs me. His constant dogging on other good workers like he felt threatened by them. Well he really only did it to Flair and Dean Malenko but damn. He was all over Flair.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 08:06:05 AM »
I loved the Bret Hart book but it did get tiresome with the constant knocks on Flair. A criticism here and there, over something major, is understandable, but Bret did seem to take every opportunity to knock Flair. Then again, it's not like Flair went out of his way to be diplomatic about Bret; Flair took shot after shot at Bret, some of them cheap, either in his book or while doing interviews to promote it.

A lot of the problem, and you see it a lot when top guys criticize other top guys or people they don't think are that good while others do, is down to the style of wrestling they were brought up with or have been educated into thinking is the right way to do things. Batista criticized TNA, specifically AJ Styles, saying that they did wasn't wrestling. What TNA and Styles do is wrestling, but to Batista, it wasn't the style he's been taught is the correct way to do things, so in his mind it really isn't wrestling. Vince McMahon has apparently said that there's no such thing as a good lucha libre match, and he is known for hating that style of wrestling, when that obviously isn't the case. Generally, such criticisms boil down to having a narrow view of wrestling and an inability or unwillingness to see things in any other way but your own.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »
Which Heenan book is most recommended: Bobby the Brain, or Chair Shots & Other Obstacles?

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »
Bobby The Brain is more biographical, Chair Shots appears to be a self-help styled book.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
Both of Bobby's books are worth reading. First one is better. Secound one deals a lot with his cancer.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »
I liked Pain and Passion a lot. You can tell Heath McCoy loves his Stampede Wrestling, yet he pulls no punches when discussing the bad aspects of the promotion or its wrestlers.

The book that I have a hard time getting into is National Wrestling Alliance. And I really want to get into it too, for the obvious history lessons.

You know what book I actually don't like that much? Eddie Guerrero's. I felt like it was a generic WWE autobiography, with little effort made to tell the story in Eddie's voice. Instead it was like the story was being told by an Eddie Guerrero impressionist.

I've read some of Scott Keith's books in the store or at the library, but I won't go so far as to actually spend good money on any of them. I was quite late for the game on this whole internet wrestling fan thing, so he and his writing style are irrelevant to me. Whenever I read his stuff, I can't help but think that in life, I generally try not to do things that are lame. Because, well, they're lame and why would I waste my time when I could do something I liked? So why would Scott Keith write multiple books about the WWF when it's obvious that he can't stand watching it?

What's this Dungeon of Death book? Has anyone read the book about the St. Louis territory? What do you think of the Bruiser Brody biography written by his widow?
https://letterboxd.com/Jake6669/

Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

• (atticus Chaos)
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »
Didn't Bret say Diana's book was just kind of bitter and half-true?

Yeah, having read a copy online, some of it is true, some of it sounds like it easily could be true (the sleazy stuff about Stu Hart, mostly) but some of it is totally bullshit. One example is her claiming Bret pressured all the wrestlers to walk out after Montreal, when Foley has said himself Bret tried to talk him out of it. There's also a weird bit where she claims Bret and Martha were having an affair, with no proof, other than he was comforting her in the days following her husband's death.

That the publishers removed it from shelves after about a week, suggests they realized it was bullshit, too.

• (atticus Chaos)
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
delete

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2009, 03:45:51 AM »
For what it's worth, Bret said in his book that a lot of the more lurid accusations in Diana's book were completely fabricated by her ghost writer and Diana wasn't happy with how it turned out.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »
So why would Scott Keith write multiple books about the WWF when it's obvious that he can't stand watching it?

Scooter has to pay the food bill somehow. He has no scruples (or time to research what he's writing).