Author Topic: Wrestling Books Discussion Zone  (Read 31384 times)

Description:

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • The Struggle Continues. The Dream Lives Forever
Re: Wrestling Books Discussion Zone
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »
Yeah, a friend recently lent me Countdown to Lockdown and it far surpassed my low expectations. I didn't think it was possible for me to care about Foley's TNA run but it managed the impossible. Pretty damn entertaining read. I wouldn't put it on the great wrestling books of all time lists but it's definitely the bore I thought it'd be.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
Second one isn't as interesting because it's stuff we're all familiar with, but it's still a fun read.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • CXF Writer
  • I'm BACK!
    • Twitter
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »
I haven't read Jericho's 2nd book, so I'm curious, what is his take on the build up to WrestleMania X8? I know on his DVD he briefly said that pairing him with Stephanie wasn't such a good idea in hindsight, but I want to know what he thought about the stuff with the dog and how he was pretty much treated like a non-factor in his own title defense.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaulDMatthews78
Read my old-school wrestling review blog here: https://classicwrestlingreview.wordpress.com/
Like and follow the Facebook page for my blog here: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWrestlingReview
Check out my t-shirt store here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/PaulMatthews78

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:24 AM »
He pretty much calls his entire Undisputed reign a "bust".  His idea was to have an affair with Steph and be completely at her beck and call, but Vince nixed the affair part and kept the whipped part.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • CXF Writer
  • I'm BACK!
    • Twitter
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
He pretty much calls his entire Undisputed reign a "bust".  His idea was to have an affair with Steph and be completely at her beck and call, but Vince nixed the affair part and kept the whipped part.

Thank you. Hmmm, I think the affair thing would have been a lot better because it would have put heat on Jericho and given Triple H a reason to actually be mad at him. Instead we got a Triple H/Stephanie feud with Jericho as a backdrop. Preferably they shouldn't have involved Steph at all, but if they had to involve her the affair thing would have been better if done right.
Read my old-school wrestling review blog here: https://classicwrestlingreview.wordpress.com/
Like and follow the Facebook page for my blog here: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWrestlingReview
Check out my t-shirt store here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/PaulMatthews78

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
According to Jericho, they thought it illogical that HHH's character would let his wife do something like that without him knowing.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »
It's still real to the extended McMahon family.

Offline UterusJuice

• Fartsauce
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Bob Holly's book yet. It's fucking fantastic. I place it behind Foley's 1st, Bret's and the 2 Jericho ones.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
Jericho has a third book scheduled for September 2014.  Big portion of the book will be discussing the HBK feud of 2008.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
Finished Jericho's 2nd book about a month ago and have been slowly chugging through Bret's. Loving Bret's! Jericho's was a real easy read and I flew through it. Kindle has been a Godsend for reading shit since the gf can fall asleep in the dark and I can read.

Also got Bischoff's and Austin's books for $3 each at a thrift shop (hardcovers too!) They will be my books I read on the shitter. Just started Bischoff's and I like the compact section breakdowns in each chapter, reminds me of Batista's and Edge's (well I think that one was just shorter chapters maybe?). Also got those two hardcover secondhand on the cheap. Makes it easier to read in quick bursts on the shitter.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Is there anyone who will re-release Lou Thesz's book already?  I'm continually amazed that it's so hard to find, considering that it's essentially a history book, Thesz chronicles EVERYTHING that happened with the rise of the NWA.  The only way I ever read it was a borrowed copy of an odd semi-professionally bound copy, probably a bootleg. 

« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »
I got a Kindle on Black Friday and I bought Holly's books when it was on sale and I have to agree, it is a fantastic book. I just wish I could track down Gary Hart's book cheap someday.

Is there anyone who will re-release Lou Thesz's book already?  I'm continually amazed that it's so hard to find, considering that it's essentially a history book, Thesz chronicles EVERYTHING that happened with the rise of the NWA.  The only way I ever read it was a borrowed copy of an odd semi-professionally bound copy, probably a bootleg. 

http://www.crowbarpress.com/cbp-books/13-lt.html

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • CXF Writer
  • I'm BACK!
    • Twitter
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:38 AM »
Finished Jericho's 2nd book about a month ago and have been slowly chugging through Bret's. Loving Bret's! Jericho's was a real easy read and I flew through it. Kindle has been a Godsend for reading shit since the gf can fall asleep in the dark and I can read.

Also got Bischoff's and Austin's books for $3 each at a thrift shop (hardcovers too!) They will be my books I read on the shitter. Just started Bischoff's and I like the compact section breakdowns in each chapter, reminds me of Batista's and Edge's (well I think that one was just shorter chapters maybe?). Also got those two hardcover secondhand on the cheap. Makes it easier to read in quick bursts on the shitter.

Bret's book is a great read, but man can it ever be a downer. You never realize how screwed up his family truly is until you read his book.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • The Struggle Continues. The Dream Lives Forever
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
I just finished Jerry Jarrett's self published book about the first year of TNA. It somehow manages to be candid yet really boring.

I mentioned a few of the more interesting anecdotes in the TNA thread. One I forgot to mention is that DADDY JEFF wanted The Great Khali to be the Andre The Giant of TNA. In some alternate universe, Jeff Jarrett Vs Great Khali probably main evented Bound For Glory '06.

Book also really, REALLY could have used a ghostwriter. It was really poorly formatted. Jarrett would be sharing his thoughts on the failings of Vince Russo's writing style and then all of a sudden, it would cut to an interview of Jarrett from WrestlingClassics about Memphis Rasslin.

I think there could be a great book about TNA one of these days. This was not that book.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Thoughts on two releases:

The Death of WCW 10th Anniversary : Lots of additional tidbits and quotes added that almost doubles the length of the book.  Absolutely worth reading even if you've read the original to death because it goes in depth into a lot more things and the epilogue is basically a preview of the inevitable Death of TNA.

Jericho's 3rd book: A super breezy read; I finished it in like three days.  I think I like it better than Undisputed since there's less Fozzy and "lol Drunkicho" stories (and he even talks about HBK putting him in his place with his drinking).

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
The Death of WCW 10th Anniversary : Lots of additional tidbits and quotes added that almost doubles the length of the book.  Absolutely worth reading even if you've read the original to death because it goes in depth into a lot more things and the epilogue is basically a preview of the inevitable Death of TNA.

Do I recall reading the Wrestlecrap guys formally name a person(s) responsible for the death of WCW? I never did pick this up, which I regret because I had it in my hands a few years ago when I was in Chapters to buy the ex a present. If so, spoiler it for me?

I still have Diana's book. I haven't read it for a few years, but my Bret markdom notwithstanding, I remember it being pretty "oh, come on."

I didn't see Edge's book mentioned here. Anyone have that? I remember seeing it in a bookstore around the time of the Lita affair; I think that was the first thing I looked for as I thumbed through it, but I don't remember seeing anything about it. What I do remember is thinking how similar his writing style was to the character he played in 2000 (with the volume turned down a bit, of course).

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:40 AM »
Got some Nook credit to use. Should I get Bret's book, Jericho's first, or Foley Is Good? Consensus sounds like Bret's is the must-read, yes?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Laugh this off... puddin'!
  • Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »
Got some Nook credit to use. Should I get Bret's book, Jericho's first, or Foley Is Good? Consensus sounds like Bret's is the must-read, yes?

Bret's an absolute must read.  Jericho's first is solid but not quite at the level (IMO) of Bret's or Foley's 1st.

• Laz
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:22 AM »

Do I recall reading the Wrestlecrap guys formally name a person(s) responsible for the death of WCW? I never did pick this up, which I regret because I had it in my hands a few years ago when I was in Chapters to buy the ex a present. If so, spoiler it for me?

Spoiler: show
Not really. They place the final blame on Jamie Kellner for canceling Nitro, which ended any hope of Fusient buying it, but explain that shitty booking and horrible business decisions made Kellner's decision an easy one.

Offline SFH

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2014, 03:18:27 AM »
I'm about 6 chapter's into Bret's book. He has just had Double gold in Stampede. So far nothing OVERTLY bitter. I have to keep in mind this was published in 2007 and this is after his reunion with WWE. So far he's painted a not so flattering picture of TDK even when he stopped needlessly stiffing him. I try to read at my desk at work but there's a textbook we're supposed to be reading and passing around during slow periods rather than recreational so I'm reading at home.

Offline BreakingMad

« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
Just finished Jericho's latest, nowhere near as good as the last one, which was nowhere good as the one before that.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:31 AM »
Bret Hart spends a lot of time talking about himself in his autobiography.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »
Just finished Jericho's latest, nowhere near as good as the last one, which was nowhere good as the one before that.

I'm reading Jericho's new one when I find time and I feel he just gets too comfortable. It can be entertaining but he references his previous books in cheap plugs like every other page and similar little things you would think an editor would stop him from doing.
[img width=800

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
Bret Hart spends a lot of time talking about himself in his autobiography.
Isn't it odd that most of the posters here have read other autobiographies and haven't gotten the same impression in regards to the writer's ego as they do with Bret's? Yeah, you're right. Clearly everyone is unfairly ganging up on Bret Hart.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:54 AM »
I don't mind Bret being cocky about his own ability. Everyone probably should be to some degree. It was annoying that everyone he came into contact with had to stop and tell him that he was the greatest.

Also Jericho's second book was hard to read. I hated every Fozzy story and eventually started skipping them.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
I love Bret Hart. I love his book. There is a part in it where he infers he could be a descendant of Christ Himself.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
In fairness to Bret, he was going to take out the self worshiping portions but his editor walked up to him, tears in his eyes, and said he couldn't let Bret deceive the people by saying he was worse than he actually was.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
And then Bret cheated on his cruel wife.

Offline SFH

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
Speaking of Julie, from "Wrestling with Shadows" i was taken aback at how rough she looked. In the book there's a younger photo of her and she was quite attractive back in the day.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
Isn't she at some WWF events in the early '90s too? Like Survivor Series '92?

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
I'll never forget when A&E premiered Wrestling With Shadows and halfway through it shows the big glamour shot of Julie hanging in Bret's sauna.

• Laz
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »
She reminds me of the guy from Celtic Frost when they went glam.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2014, 03:14:27 AM »
Speaking of Julie, from "Wrestling with Shadows" i was taken aback at how rough she looked. In the book there's a younger photo of her and she was quite attractive back in the day.

I wouldn't exactly call her "attractive" but she wasn't as bad as she looked in Wrestling with Shadows. Bret's short-term italian wife wasn't too bad though.

I like how he tells a story in his book about having a girl come up to his room in Australia (i think?) after his stroke and thinking "yeah I'm back".

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:59 AM »
I had mentioned in some other threads a bit back that I had been reading Jericho's new book.  Got busy, hadn't gotten a chance to get back to it but I stayed home sick from work today and tired of sleeping and TV, picked it back up only to get another story about Vince wrestling guys on planes.

This time, Jericho was going to a press conference in Phoenix for Wrestlemania 26 on Vince's jet with Vince, Big Johnny, Cena and Kofi Kingston.  They drink Jack Daniels the whole way.  As Kofi leaves, Vince makes some comment about "maybe you will get over one of these days" to Kofi.

Jericho follows Kofi off the plane and gets him to go back and stand up for himself.  Kofi goes back and nervously confronts Kofi.  Mid-trash talk, Vince takes out Kofi's legs and the two wrestle in the plane for a little bit.

Vince is going to live forever.
[img width=800

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Was Kofi on the plane just so that Vince could make that joke?

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2015, 05:44:24 AM »
Has anyone read Gary Hart's book? I had only been able to find it on eBay or amazon for $500 and then I found a free PDF. Can't wait to read!

• Laz
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
From what Court Bauer has said, Hart's son is a major reason it's never been reprinted.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
JTG is hyping on Twitter that he is releasing a tell-all eBook.

Kinda curious on this one, as his time spanned in WWE from 2006-2014, so he was there in that weird pre-Benoit murders era through the sanitized era.  Know he got in trouble for speaking up a couple times.  Also, don't remember how long he spent in OVW but he was there in that post-Cena era of the guys that were supposed to be bigger than they became (Eugene, Bashams, Conway) and he is going to cover all that too.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
Jericho just announced he has signed on to write his fourth book but this one will be "a little different".  I eagerly await his new line of erotic fiction.
[img width=800

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2015, 02:01:52 AM »
I was reading this e-book on Kindle Unlimited called Titan Shattered. It has a lot of great stories that seem to piece together rumours and other parts of the 1996ish era that we all kinda know about. Also appears well-sourced.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25899318-titan-shattered

Worth a read as a rasslin fan imo.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2015, 04:37:54 AM »
I just finished Bret's book for a third time and it got me into the wrasslin' book reading mood.

So I read Hardcore Holly's book and man I loved it. He was brutally honest and it was sad when he finally quit. It makes me look back and wish that old Hardcore had been used more.

Also why aren't Foley's first two books on Kindle?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »
I've really wanted to read Hardcore's.  I may need to pick that up now.  Think the last wrestling book I read was Jericho's third, as I got on a little basketball kick for a stretch.

Guessing Foley's has to do with age and rights stuff but I don't legit know.  Not sure if they switched around publishers and stuff since Foley's first book is legally old enough to drive now.
[img width=800

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2015, 06:23:43 AM »
Best line from Hardcore's book:

"People always ask me if I took steroids. Hell yes I was on steroids."

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »
I wasn't too sure of Holly's book, but sounds like it's worth checking out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Jingus

« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
Hell yes it is.  I'm actually reading it now.  There's a whole chapter on his early years as a professional toughman fighter in shady barroom tournaments, and then at one point he's actually challenged to wrestle a bear. 

Quote from: Hardcore Holly, super-heavyweight
That fucking bear bit me on top of my fucing head and that was it- the beginning of me going bald.  I had a full head of hair until that point!  The bear got me down and ended up on top of me, putting me in an extremely compromised position.  Basically, it looked like the bear was sexually assaulting me.  That pretty much ended my bear-wrestling career. 

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:21 PM »
I found a copy of Gary Michael Cappetta's Bodyslams: Memoirs of a Wrestling Pitchman autobiography recently and have read it several times. Cappetta started announcing for the WWWF in 1974 and went on to do his thing for WCW, the AWA, Pro Wrestling USA, and various indies until leaving the business in 1994 or '95. I definitely enjoyed reading about things from his ring announcer's point of view. He places a lot of importance on his role as announcer - maybe more than he should since I don't know anyone who watched wrestling just to see him. Perhaps that is his way of illustrating how seriously he took his job. He puts over Gorilla Monsoon huge for getting him regular announcing work and putting him on TV. Both McMahons and Eric Bischoff treated him like shit. Funny stories about being tormented in the ring by George Steele and Jimmy Snuka. He gives Mean Mark a ride and finds out how Buzz Sawyer ripped off the future Undertaker, which culminates in a locker room confrontation between the two. 2 Cold Scorpio and Ron Simmons are forced to ask Cappetta for a ride after being stranded so Marcus Bagwell could travel alone with his wife. Karmic justice strikes later when the Bagwells stay at the same motel where the boys bring the ring rats, who knock on Buff's door all night long. This book is also where the anecdote about Verne Gagne not watching his own product comes from, much to Cappetta's shock. Lots of other stories too. Great read, highly recommended.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »
Pat Patterson has an autobiography out next week.  Appears to be published by WWE and Vince wrote the forward.  Think I may order a copy.
[img width=800

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2016, 07:47:19 AM »
The kindle version of Patterson's book is on sale for $4.99.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
Anybody else read the ali vs Inoki book that came out earlier this year?