Author Topic: UFC sponsored by Reebok/Fighter Pay Thread  (Read 13057 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

UFC sponsored by Reebok/Fighter Pay Thread
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:09:52 AM »
Per Bloody Elbow....

"In calling the partnership a "seminal moment" for the UFC and the sport of mixed martial arts, Fertitta explained that "the vast majority, if not all, of the revenues" from the deal will be redistributed to the UFC's roster. Fighters will earn a tiered sponsorship income dependent on their ranking the day of weigh-ins prior to their fight, regardless of card placement. Champions will bank the most money, followed by (in descending order): fighters ranked No. 1 to No. 5 in their division, fighters ranked No. 6 to No. 10, fighters ranked No. 11 to No. 15, and unranked fighters.

While not delving deep into detail, Fertitta explained that each fighter will be distinguished by their own personalized kit, and that in addition to a flat sponsorship income, athletes are also expected to receive 20-percent royalty payments dependent on sales for their individualized kits into perpetuity, meaning retired fighters will also draw from the program."

Re: UFC sponsored by Reebok/Fighter Pay Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »
Initial thoughts: it is an absolutely god-awful, terrible idea to let the media rankings dictate fighter pay.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:11:06 AM »
I agree. That is the only problem I see with it.

DTF

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:16:53 AM »
You don't see a problem with the fighters having zero input and not being consulted at all?

The biggest winner here? Bellator. When summer of 2015 rolls around they'll be benefiting from all the sponsors who'll have been dropped by the UFC plus the influx of talent available when WSOF closes up shop which will be happening pretty soon.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:27 AM »
What's the proper way to determine rankings?

It's a great idea with a shitty execution.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »
You don't see a problem with the fighters having zero input and not being consulted at all?

The biggest winner here? Bellator. When summer of 2015 rolls around they'll be benefiting from all the sponsors who'll have been dropped by the UFC plus the influx of talent available when WSOF closes up shop which will be happening pretty soon.

This is good for the fighters. It has been well known that the lower-ranked fighters make most of their money off sponsorships, but there are just as many stories of fighters not getting paid from sponsors/chasing them around to get their money/sponsors going out of business leaving the fighters with nothing.

No matter what, this guarentees they get paid and as much as some people on the internet like to put everything the UFC does in a negative light, I highly doubt the UFC is willing to receive the backlash if they aren't at least matching what the lower teir fighters make.

And from what it sounds like, the fighters will still get to pick the colors and what they want on their gear. It's just the only logo will be Reebok and the UFC. And if they can come up with cool designs and people buy them, they get a cut.

And you are right about Bellator also winning in this situation. It seems like this deal is win/win all around.

DTF

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »
I see it too as something for journeyman fighters to fight for. Damian Maia will probably never be champion but if the pay bump from a Top 10 fighter and a Top 5 fighter is substantial enough, it could mean a difference in his life and his career.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »
I take issue with the top five of the womens 125 lb. division possibly making more then a veteran of another division who sits just outside the top ten or just inside it.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »
Again. Great idea, shitty execution.

In a couple years it'll balance out.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
I take issue with the top five of the womens 125 lb. division possibly making more then a veteran of another division who sits just outside the top ten or just inside it.

Why? The womens division has nothing to do with the mens.

DTF

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:08:32 AM »
But the same rules apply as far as higher-ranked fighters making more money, right?

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »
So if you worked in the PR department for a company, you would be upset that a woman in the accounting department would be making more money than you?

DTF

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:42 AM »
Do you or do you not get my point? There are divisions that, due to it being in it's infancy will have fighters with NO NAME VALUE AND NO DRAWING POWER making more money then established, popular, tenured names who are just outside the top five. Are you ok with this?

Edit: If I have the gist of the deal wrong then I apologize but that's how things appear on the surface with how the UFC has presented the system.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 07:08:37 AM »
I get what you are saying.

But if Todd Duffee is upset that Sarah Kaufman makes more money than he does because shes ranked higher in her division than he is in his, it means that he should spend more time worrying about his ranking and earn that raise.

DTF

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
I also understand what you're saying- if fighters want to get more money, win fights to get into ranked positions and the money will come.

The problem then becomes the beauracracy within the UFC of who they favour with certain matchups. If guys like Jon Fitch or Yushin Okami were still with the UFC today I guarantee the UFC would sandbag them with either lower or unranked fights so they wouldn't have to pay them as much.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
I agree - but Jon Fitch and Okami were still ranked in the top 5 when they were cut.

DTF

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
Wait was this the big announcement Dana White was going to do at the press conference they had a few weeks back?

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
Yeah this was supposed to be the groundbreaking announcement for that THE TIME IS NOW THE TIME IS NOW THE TIME IS NOW THE TIME IS NOW press conference.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »

DTF

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »
I wish I knew how much guys were pulling in from sponsors. I really have no idea how to compare here. I just saw that the real is worth $70 million over 6 years. That's under $12 million per year. That's enough to make up for what every single fighter combined was pulling in?

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »
Edit: Wrong thread. Bah.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
I for one haven't been interested in sponsors in the UFC since I stopped seeing 'Condom Depot' across everyone's backsides. It was always across their arse. I found that hilarious given MMA is not, shall we say, the most forward-thinking environment in the world.

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »

Bad few days for him as he implies towards the end of Rogan telling him to accept he'll never be elite is that one of the reasons he'll continue fighting is that he made a stupid amount just based off of half his sponsors.

Hey what does this do for the foreign fighters who have sweet deals set up with companies in their home countries and the big names who had their own Nike deals in Brazil and Europe?

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
During that interview Schaub also said that in the past he has made double what he gets from the fight off of sponsorship money.  He got $32,000 for the fight Saturday night.  If he was really making anything close to $60,000 per fight from sponsors (or even half that really), guys like him are going to get killed on this deal.  The money just isn't there for guys who are either ranked 10-15 or unranked to pull in anything close to that amount.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
I'm betting that the UFC had a lot of pressure from their sponsors to eliminate the fighters sponsors.  Let's say that bud light is paying $50,000 per show to be on the octagon mat and dynamic fasteners is paying 10 fighters $500 to be on their shorts and if it is a 10 fight card you are going to have Bud Light roughly getting the same amount of screen time as dynamic fasteners but paying ten times more.  And I imagine there would be pressure from blue-chip sponsors and broadcast partners to get rid of "city chiropractic" for example, on a fighter shorts because that is somewhat second rate and not really equal to the advertisers and sponsors being shown On other fox sports programs. 

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:26 AM »
"Not only will the athletes be required to wear Reebok apparel throughout fight week, whenever cameras are around, their corner people must do the same, according to Bleacher Report, which obtained the UFC's new Athlete Outfitting Policy and detailed it Wednesday. The policy goes into effect in July.

If someone in the fighter's corner refuses to comply with the UFC's new uniform rules, said fighter will be subject to "penalties, fines and may be removed from the fight." Of course, the same goes if the fighter himself or herself decides not to wear Reebok during fight week.

Well-known coach Greg Jackson has already told Sherdog that he stands to lose quite a bit of sponsor money from this new deal.

So, what do fight-week events consist of exactly? Well, any kind of open workouts, media day, weigh-ins and press conferences. Fighters must be essentially dressed head-to-toe in Reebok throughout those activities. Upon check-in at the host hotel, each competitor will get a ton of Reebok gear: a hoodie, t-shirt, workout shorts, weigh-in shorts, weigh-in walkout sweatpants, a weigh-in t-shirt, a weigh-in walkout hoodie, a weigh-in hat, a gym bag, socks, shoes and even underwear. Women's fighters will get a sports bra, too.

The one exception is for press conferences fighters are allowed to wear business or business casual attire with no visible logos rather than Reebok.

The UFC's rules regarding Reebok-only duds also stretch to UFC-produced shows like UFC Tonight, UFC Embedded, The Ultimate Fighter, UFC Countdown, Ultimate Insider and Road to the Octagon. The same goes for anyone else appearing on UFC programming -- training partners, people at gyms and guests, too, according to Bleacher Report's Jeremy Botter."

This is p. fucked.

• KOAB
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
lol

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »
They're going to have to shoot some many goddamn retakes of the Embedded episodes when somebody inevitably wanders into a background shot wearing....not Reebok.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »
Yeah, its pretty strict and is honestly probably illegal, but as a fighter, I don't think I would give a shit unless I was getting a smaller paycheck than I was before.

DTF

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
The article also talks about how fighters get first dibs on colour for their gear depending on rankings. Pettis Pink? Velasquez Violet? Lawler Lemon-Yellow?

• KOAB
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/451629/Rumored-price-tier-for-athletes-under-UFC-Reebok-deal/

The email, signed by UFC CEO Fertitta and the organization’s president, White, stated: “This means that you will be compensated for your compliance with the AOP based on the number of cumulative bouts in which you have fought, rather than your current standing in the UFC rankings. The cumulative bouts will include the upcoming bout for which you are getting compensated.”

The deal also contains higher payouts for champions and title challengers.

The email further states that the UFC will “within the next few weeks” disclose payment tiers. It’s expected to roughly approximate $5,000 for fighters with zero to five UFC fights, $8,000-$10,000 for five to ten fights, $12,000-$15,000 for 11-15 fights, and $18,000-$20,000 for 16-20 fights

They did it, they found a way to pay fighters even less money.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
We should feel grateful that MMA is monopolized and all these guys can fight under one banner because if they're paid more we'll never get to see good fights again.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »
I want that Tibau money.

DTF

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 05:30:12 AM »
Wow. It just never ends with the Fertittas.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
They put out the official numbers today. They're a little different from what was reported, though not too far off.

Champion: $40,000
Title Challenger: $30,000
21+ Fights: $20,000
16-20 Fights: $15,000
11-15 Fights: $10,000
6-10 Fights: $5,000
1-5 Fights: $2,500

Brendan Schaub said he has made 6 figures in sponsorship money from each of his last 6 fights.  He's definitely gotten a boost from his podcast fame, but 6 fights actually takes him back to 2011 when he fought Nogueira. 

Even Roger Narvaez said he made $5,000 from a single sponsor his last fight.

They also mentioned that fighters will get a percentage of their merchandise sales, but it said that percentage will be determined by their existing merchandise rights agreements, which I assume means they won't be getting anything that they weren't getting before.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Wow, starting to sound bad.

DTF

• KOAB
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
They just made it a lot easier for their competition to be able to keep their talent and acquire a lot of mid level talent that will not be resigning... there's literally no incentive if another talent on a Eddie Alvarez level was thinking about making the jump over.

Bravo

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:30 AM »
Tim Kennedy tweeted "Hi @BellatorMMA #Reebok". Won't be shocked if UFC loses legit top ten guys over this.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 04:07:56 AM »
I made more from sponsors in my last fight than someone with 20 UFC fights.
Vinny Magalhaes

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/7/8564037/josh-samman-looks-at-reebok-ufc-fighter-pay

Guys like Ragin Al:

Al Iaquinta @ALIAQUINTA  ·  5h 5 hours ago

First thought as I woke up this morning... I'm making 5 thousand dollars in sponsors for my next fight!

Hey Floyd here's 40k and no you can't have Burger King walk out with you! Here wear these generic shorts all week don't likem? Too bad

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 04:14:34 AM »

Al Iaquinta @ALIAQUINTA  ·  5h 5 hours ago

Lebron unless you have 20 seasons, you are still at 2nd tier in sponsors bro

• Admin
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:20 AM »
The greatest challenge to their monopoly was always themselves.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:10 AM »
I'm curious how UFC fighter contracts have been worded where this doesn't constitute a material change that would allow them to break current deals and at least renegotiate if not leave.

If Schaub's numbers are accurate he was getting about 75% of his pay from sponsors and they just took away 90% of his sponsorship money. I can't believe guys wouldn't go out of their way to get something that important in clear writing to prevent a situation like this, but we haven't heard any rumblings there, so I'd assume they didn't.

• KOAB
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:33 AM »
Those options went out the window when the UFC started making sponsors pay them a ridiculous amount just to be able to sponsor their fighters.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »
With guys like the Fertittas running the show there was little to no doubt they would be signing some kind of deal that would pay Zuffa lot and the fighters a very small portion.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• Admin
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
With guys like the Fertittas running the show there was little to no doubt they would be signing some kind of deal that would pay Zuffa lot and the fighters a very small portion.

There will be a fighter's union by the time the Reebok deal is over. Putting a cap on what the fighters are allowed to earn will be the last straw.

Not only that, but with fighter pay being what it is, how is MMA ever going to grow? Why would any elite athlete decide to commit to the sport when the earning potential is so limited?

• KOAB
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:34 AM »
Everything seemed to have gone downhill the moment Rogan butchered the fighters names during the FOX announcement.

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:19 AM »

There will be a fighter's union by the time the Reebok deal is over. Putting a cap on what the fighters are allowed to earn will be the last straw.

Not only that, but with fighter pay being what it is, how is MMA ever going to grow? Why would any elite athlete decide to commit to the sport when the earning potential is so limited?

If they can go to Bellator, WSOF or even OneFC and make more money then the UFC they will. The market has never been more open then it is now because of the Reebok deal.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
One thing that would make things easier; the UFC doesn't have goddamn 600 fighters on their roster.

You don't need more than 250, fighting three times a year so let's say 375 fights, that's three cards a month with ten fights per, all highly skilled because you keep the best of the best. They really need to prune the roster once the Fox deal is drawing to a close, I don't think Fox is going to need all that content after a certain point anyway.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
well, on the bright side, free clothes!  free hats!  free towels!  free Reebok Pumps!