Author Topic: Beer Thread  (Read 57039 times)

Description:

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
Beer Thread
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:16:17 AM »
Today is Friday and I'm going to drink some tonight.  Suggestions?

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
You need to get your ass up here to Portland drink at the Belmont Station's Biercafe. That place is incredible.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:45 AM »
My local started carrying Smuttynose's IPA on tap. I like it, but the same place has Stone's IPA on tap as well, which I like more. Right now, they even have Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA, which is an ass-kicker; it's even hoppier on draft than in the bottle. Yum.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:21 AM »
I figured I'd post this here...anyone interested in doing a beer club? I'm in a few at bars around were I live and love it, gives you a chance to try different things.

If anyones interested in doing a RTSM beer club, let me know

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:34:11 AM »
LOTC and I were briefly considering it, but we had issues working out who would send what when and how, especially considering that it was international, although all things considered, I'd be happy to try again.

I'd like to see whatever beers you guys can come up with that I haven't tried.

Beer Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:34:33 AM »
Could you explain what  Beer Club is?  It sounds like something I'd like.

My local started carrying Smuttynose's IPA on tap. I like it, but the same place has Stone's IPA on tap as well, which I like more. Right now, they even have Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA, which is an ass-kicker; it's even hoppier on draft than in the bottle. Yum.

Where is Smuttynose from?  I don't think I've ever seen that around here.

No matter how many IPAs I try (and that is basically all I drink now), Stone is still probably my favorite.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
Beer Club, like book club. I think tony and I might be on slightly different wavelengths- he may be thinking about us all going out and drinking a certain kind of beer and talking about it, but I think that's pretty gay,  personally. Hopefully he's thinking more along the lines that I am, which is where we all get addresses and send each other some high quality local brews.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »
This bar i goto, Ramshead, basically has a list of 100 beers you can order from them. Everytime you drink one, they knock it off the list, do all 100, and you get your name on the wall and a discount on draft beer.

I figured we'd make a list of 100 or so beers, a good mix of easy to obtain and some rare, and each time someone stumbles upon it, and drinks it, they tell us here.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:40:04 AM »
Beer Club, like book club. I think tony and I might be on slightly different wavelengths- he may be thinking about us all going out and drinking a certain kind of beer and talking about it, but I think that's pretty gay,  personally. Hopefully he's thinking more along the lines that I am, which is where we all get addresses and send each other some high quality local brews.

I'm down for that too, the logistics just might be a bit difficult

Plus, Baltimore tends to have shit for local brews

Beer Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:41:45 AM »
The 100 beers things sounds kind of cool.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:43:35 AM »
Could you explain what  Beer Club is?  It sounds like something I'd like.

Where is Smuttynose from?  I don't think I've ever seen that around here.

No matter how many IPAs I try (and that is basically all I drink now), Stone is still probably my favorite.

http://www.smuttynose.com/

They're based out of New Hampshire. And, according to their website, are only available on the East Coast. They've recently come to Florida. The IPA is the only one I've tried so far, as the only Smuttynose products I've seen in stores here is a 12-pack sampler that runs $18. The reviews I've read of the beers in that collection are generally favorable, if not enthusiastic, so I haven't been in a hurry to spend that much money on something I might find little more than decent.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:44:18 AM »
The 100 beers things sounds kind of cool.
I enjoy it, it means I always drink something new

Last night I had this beer called Skull Splitter, which was great. i wouldn't have even thought about it if it wasn't part of the world beer club.

Offline tominator89

Beer Thread
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:24:19 AM »

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 04:25:37 AM »
That is certainly a beer you just posted.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »
I bought a bottle of that Skull Splitter on name and label alone. I was a little disappointed. Not suitable for my Trollhammeren dinner parties.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:31:27 AM »
I tried the Skull Splitter a few years back and didn't much care for it, either.

I realized awhile ago that, with few exceptions, I drink only American beer. This doesn't mean I'm not adventurous; there's so many different types and styles of beer produced in this country that I can honestly call myself a well-rounded drinker.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
Beer Thread
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »
I like this 100 beer list idea.

DTF

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 06:09:54 AM »
I realized awhile ago that, with few exceptions, I drink only American beer. This doesn't mean I'm not adventurous; there's so many different types and styles of beer produced in this country that I can honestly call myself a well-rounded drinker.
I thought you liked a couple Belgian brews?

Also, this is a fairly widely available German Brew which is pretty damn good:

WARSTEINER - The official beer of the old German Kings (or so the labelling said). Even though that's a Queen's crown on the label.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Beer Thread
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 06:13:55 AM »
Finally got around the drinking the pair of Stone beers I've had sitting in my fridge. The Ruination IPA was good, though the Old Guardian Barley Wine wasn't anything to write home about, IMO.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 06:19:11 AM »

Note I said "with few exceptions." I do like some Belgian beers, but I rarely drink any.

Re: Stone's Old Guardian, I like it a lot. Barleywine's one of my favorite beer styles right now.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Beer Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 06:24:53 AM »
It's the first barley wine I've tried, so perhaps the style just isn't for my palette. Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is still my favorite.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »

Note I said "with few exceptions." I do like some Belgian beers, but I rarely drink any.

Re: Stone's Old Guardian, I like it a lot. Barleywine's one of my favorite beer styles right now.
Duly noted, but I always saw you as a guy who's tried several other imports as well besides the Belgians. I do agree with you though that there are so many great domestic breweries in the U.S. that get overshadowed by "The Big Three"- which, ironically are all owned by international conglomerates now (Miller- South Africa, Coors- Canada, and Budweiser- Belgium).

There's a new documentary coming out called Beer Wars which I highly encourage all of you to check out if you get a chance. It profiles the whole battle of micro and craft breweries in the U.S. versus the big guys, and it features the founder of Dogfish Head as well as Boston Beer company founder Rhonda Kallman. The trailer is located here:

http://beerwarsmovie.com/trailer/large/

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
I've grown to really like Belgian ales.

I have a bottle of La Chouffe in the fridge. It features a charming little Bob Barron-esque gnome on the label.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Beer Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 03:20:58 AM »
Is it true Newcastle modified their recipe?  Newcastle used to be my favorite brown ale, but everyone swears up and down it tastes different now.  I haven't had any in awhile as I am trying to cut down my overall drinking.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline jwest27

• ^_^
  • New Poster Who Should Be Posting
Beer Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »
Man, all you jerks always talking about your Triple Bastard ales or whatever, and I'm stuck here in Southern Illinois drinking Keystone Light. The fanciest beer I have had is probably Stella Artois. This is bullshit.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »
Stella Artois isn't that bad, honestly. I was in the same situation as you when I was in Miami. Most exotic stuff was the beer that was imported from the Americas, which a lot of the times tasted really not very good- on the level of like Bud, Coors, or Miller- but Heineken and Guinness were like, "the bomb" down there or whatever. Still, better beers can be had by going to a local "natural foods" store or whatever like Whole Foods.

Offline jwest27

• ^_^
Beer Thread
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »
Well according to their website, the nearest Whole Foods is about 92 miles away from me in St. Louis. I'll have to find it the next time I take in a Cardinals game.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »
Where do you live, exactly?

Also, maybe one of these places is close to you? Check out: http://www.beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/illinois.htm and http://www.brewpubzone.com/States/Illinois.html I don't know what the law is in Illinois, but here in Oregon there's several places that you can get a growler of beer (about 64oz) at a pub and take it home with you to enjoy. You could also probably ask one of the guys working at one to let you know where to get some good stuff. Follow the fermented yeast trail!

Offline jwest27

• ^_^
Beer Thread
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
I'm in West Frankfort. I'm going to check out a few places I have found, so maybe I'll be able to find something decent around here.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Beer Thread
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »

It's French and has been in production since 1664.

It's even better on draft.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »
I saw that beer the other day at this French restaurant I go to! It's amazing stuff supposedly, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. The owner told me that apparently the factory was on strike or something (lol the French) so they offered me Pilsner Urquell instead, which isn't that bad but I wanted something French to go with my escargot, croque monsieur and finishing aperitif of something called Death in the Afternoon. Which is half absinthe, half champagne. Never has a title for a cocktail ever been more accurate.

Matt Young

Beer Thread
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
Man, all you jerks always talking about your Triple Bastard ales or whatever, and I'm stuck here in Southern Illinois drinking Keystone Light. The fanciest beer I have had is probably Stella Artois. This is bullshit.

Why does everyone in central and southern Illinois drink fucking Keystone Light?  I swear that half my friends in Springfield and Chatham drink the shit, and pretty much every party I went to in Carbondale had that as their beer of choice.

Offline Lord of The Curry

Beer Thread
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
Me and the two roommates returned over 1200 tall cans to the beer store today along with around 200 various bottles of liquor, beer and wine.

The lesson here is don't let booze stack up over a year. It's a lot more then you think.

Matt Young

Beer Thread
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
How much did you get for all that?

Beer Thread
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 07:12:38 AM »
Around $130.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Beer Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
I've recently been trying a lot of local Quebec beers. Unibroue is the name of the company, and most of their stuff is really good. La Fin Du Monde (bad ass name) and Blanche de Chambly are two of my favourites, the latter being what I generally get every time I go to the grocery store.

Blanche de Chambly is my favourite white beer, and a quick check on the World Beer Cup reveals that others seem to like it too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Beer_Cup

If you like Belgian-style white ales, I imagine that most here would really dig it. Goes great with a side of authentic Belgian fries.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
I've had La Fin Du Monde! They had it at the local beer store. I thought it was just French, no idea it was from Quebec. That's pretty awesome. It's good beer.

Offline jwest27

• ^_^
Beer Thread
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »

Why does everyone in central and southern Illinois drink fucking Keystone Light?  I swear that half my friends in Springfield and Chatham drink the shit, and pretty much every party I went to in Carbondale had that as their beer of choice.

It's cheap? I don't know. The only reason I was drinking it was because it was all that was in the fridge at the time. I think a friend left some in there.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
Beer Thread
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »

God, I love Toronto.

Beer Thread
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 02:31:09 AM »
Heard that. I still need to tour the Steamwhistle brewery.

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
Beer Thread
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 05:36:43 AM »

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 01:10:56 AM »
Unibroue Maudite and Trois Pistoles are my faves; the ones with the devil and pegasus horse on them, respectively.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 04:20:52 AM »
Last night I got adventurous and mixed Natty boh, lemonade, and Everclear together....it actually was pretty decent, tasted like an arnold palmer to me

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »
Everclear is a pretty neutral taste, actually. Like really, really strong vodka.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »
http://crushallboxes.blogspot.com/2007/07/frank-beer.html
Frank Zappa Beer!!

I am in the process of trying to track this down now...

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:12 AM »
Lagunitas has been releasing a new Zappa-related beer about once a year for a few years now, each one corresponding with the 40-year anniversary of a specific album's release. The most recent one was Ruben & the Jets.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
Beer Thread
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
Weird. I have a distinctive memory of him saying that his drinking was limited to a glass of wine during the occasional meal. He also went on to add that he (I'm paraphrasing here) doesn't enjoy throwing up or walking into furniture.

You would have thought this honour would be given to some rock star who was a raging alcoholic.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »
Each label notes its been made with the full cooperation of the Zappa estate.

Offline Gert

Beer Thread
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 02:40:58 AM »
If you can get your hands on any beer from Weyerbacher Brewing out of Easton, PA. Pricey, but great beer.

www.weyerbacher.com/

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 02:56:22 AM »
I've had some of their beers. Their Simcoe Double IPA is decent, but it kinda has this sweaty locker-room aroma that's a bit off-putting. I really like their Merry Monks Belgian-style ale, which I believe I posted about in the previous incarnation of this board.