Author Topic: Beer Thread  (Read 51023 times)

Description:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Beer Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
I've been seeing Ed Hardy beer everywhere since Christmas.

Made from only the finest douches.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2010, 02:41:21 AM »
Fat Tire's ok, I think. Biscuity. The wheat's better.

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
Beer Thread
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2010, 05:44:42 AM »
I've never liked Fat Tire, or any of New Belgium's beers, for that matter.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
I think Fat Tire is really overrated, but it's popular in areas where Bud, Coors, and Miller reign supreme and "premium" beers are stuff like Corona, Sam Adams, and Heineken. That pretty much only leaves Sierra Nevada and New Belgium's beers as anything that's actually interesting and good. I saw this be the case a lot in Southern California as well as South Florida a few years ago.

I served beer for New Belgium a couple times when they do the Bicycle Festival Touring thing they do around the country every summer and got to try a lot of their beers as a result. Their winter beer was pretty good this year to be honest (I think it was called 40 below or something) and the Mothership Wit isn't too bad. But yeah Fat Tire doesn't have a whole lot of flavor to it.

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
Beer Thread
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »
Have you ever had Fat Tire in a can?  I've heard it has a distinctly different (and better) flavor, but I can neither confirm nor deny.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
Yeah, Fat Tire sucks but people around here really like it for some strange reason.  For a southern state North Carolina has so much more to offer selection wise than New Belgium.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
I've heard of a lot of other beer companies making it a new thing to put beer in cans since if you pour it out it "preserves" it better or whatever. The company that makes Caldera IPA has been doing that for a while now.

Offline Gert

Beer Thread
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
Bought some Dragons Milk to try tonight since Mellow recommended it, but I am already Sailing with Jerry, so that might not happen......

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:55 AM »
I've heard of a lot of other beer companies making it a new thing to put beer in cans since if you pour it out it "preserves" it better or whatever. The company that makes Caldera IPA has been doing that for a while now.

Oskar Blues does this; their Ten Fidy is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. Well worth the $15 it costs for a four pack.

Bells has finally brought more of their beers to Jacksonville. I spent about $32 combined for sixers of the Expedition and Java stouts. I've had both before, but it's terrific that I can now get them in town. I also picked up a single bottle of their cherry stout. It was...interesting. Not bad, but just a little too tart for my liking.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2010, 01:15:55 PM »

Oskar Blues does this; their Ten Fidy is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. Well worth the $15 it costs for a four pack.

Bells has finally brought more of their beers to Jacksonville. I spent about $32 combined for sixers of the Expedition and Java stouts. I've had both before, but it's terrific that I can now get them in town. I also picked up a single bottle of their cherry stout. It was...interesting. Not bad, but just a little too tart for my liking.

It took a while before they made their way to NC, although that was probably because of the strict alcohol content laws they had in place here for years.  I've never had their cherry stout, but the two you named as well as the Kalamazoo stout are three of the best beers I've ever had.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is most commonly found canned, as I've had it quite a few times.  Has anyone here ever tried Old Chub?  They are canned as well and I've never gotten around to trying them, although I've had a few friends recommend them to me.

On a side note, I swore off beer for a month and have made it two weeks but I have the daunting task of making it through the "weekend of hell" in a few days:  A friend's birthday at an Irish pub, a visit to Asheville where I'll watch the UFC at Buffalo Wild Wings, and Super Bowl Sunday.  I think I'll have to start over after that.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Beer Thread
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Just stick to liquor.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2010, 03:18:28 AM »
I guess I should have been more specific and said alcohol.  I might need some liquor to get me through Couture/Coleman, though.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Beer Thread
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »

It took a while before they made their way to NC, although that was probably because of the strict alcohol content laws they had in place here for years.  I've never had their cherry stout, but the two you named as well as the Kalamazoo stout are three of the best beers I've ever had.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is most commonly found canned, as I've had it quite a few times.  Has anyone here ever tried Old Chub?  They are canned as well and I've never gotten around to trying them, although I've had a few friends recommend them to me.

On a side note, I swore off beer for a month and have made it two weeks but I have the daunting task of making it through the "weekend of hell" in a few days:  A friend's birthday at an Irish pub, a visit to Asheville where I'll watch the UFC at Buffalo Wild Wings, and Super Bowl Sunday.  I think I'll have to start over after that.

I've had Old Chub, it's an Oskar Blues beer, the brewery Inc mentioned, which is based out in Colorado I believe.  Dale's Pale Ale is the best of their beers, and it's quite good out of the can, but it's also quite expensive.  For the price you can get a better bottled beer, though I admit that for the novelty of having a really good beer out of a can it's worth it every once in a while.  I've had Dale's on tap as well, and it's actually better out of the can IMO.

Old Chub isn't anything special btw, try a can if you're curious, but don't waste your money on an entire 6 pack

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 01:58:46 AM »
If you think Dale's is the best Oskar Blues beer, then you haven't had Ten Fidy. I like the Old Chub well enough, but I'm not the hugest fan of Scotch Ales, so I'm pretty cool toward it.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Beer Thread
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
I used to love Imperial Stouts and Porters and anything dark and heavy, but lately I've not been very into the dark beers. 

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
I could mainline Founders Breakfast Stout.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2010, 01:22:26 AM »
I could drink Ten Fidy every day if it wasn't cost-prohibitive and a long-term detriment to my health.

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
I could mainline Founders Breakfast Stout.

Have you had the Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout?  If you haven't, you should.

I've been finding Pliny the Elder around my area a lot lately.  That's something I could drink every hour of every day.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
What makes it Kentucky? Bourbon barrels, I presume?

Founders is just a fucking outstanding brewery. Their Double Trouble IPA? Tremendous. Overhopped unbalanced beers are growing on me a bit more, and that's a damn damn good one.

Still, my favorites are Belgian and Belgian-style Ales.

Oh, and realizing that Fat Tires wheat cousin was probably the best wheat I'd had, I really doubled down on them the past couple weekends. Franziskaner! That's mighty good. I liked the Dunkel variant more. The Germans have the market cornered on that shit.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

Beer Thread
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2010, 12:15:37 AM »
When I was visiting some family in KY last summer, my 1 cousin had this Bourbon beer (I forget the name of it).  I was not a fan.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Beer Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I don't love Fat Tire, but my best friend's dad would order it directly from the brewery until they started stocking it in Tennessee a year or two ago. Now I know several people who will cross the border just to get it.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
Oh, and realizing that Fat Tires wheat cousin was probably the best wheat I'd had, I really doubled down on them the past couple weekends. Franziskaner! That's mighty good. I liked the Dunkel variant more. The Germans have the market cornered on that shit.

Fuck yes! The corner convenience stores here in Portland sell Franziskaner and I love that shit. OFFICIAL BEER OF GERMAN ROYALTY

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Beer Thread
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »
I saw a beer called "O'Douls" the other day and tried it. It was great!

• Poster of the Year
Beer Thread
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »
Going down on your cousin is like drinking O'Douls. It tastes the same, but you know something ain't right.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Beer Thread
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
Tried a Coors Lite last Saturday...   It was fucking gross.

Tried a Miller Lite tonight.... Also fucking gross.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
Beer Thread
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
Funny, cuz both of those beers worked well enough for me a few years ago. Of course, I was a college freshman back then, but it's not like I took to every cheap beer out there (I'm looking at you, Busch Light).

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Beer Thread
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure I just don't like beer at all.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
Beer Thread
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:28 AM »
You might get better results if you try something a little less awful.

The best beer I've had lately is the Bell's Batch 9000.  Dark, rich, and boozy, 12.5% abv. 

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:57 AM »
Yeah, Coors Lite and Miller Lite are just above the dregs. I told you to try good beer, Cowboy Numbers.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
Beer Thread
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Yeah. Like High Life. That's the good stuff.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »
Don't forget Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Nom nom nom.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Beer Thread
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
Alright "bros" I will try others.   Don't know if I mentioned it but I also hate Guiness and Corona. 

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Beer Thread
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
Tried a Coors Lite last Saturday...   It was fucking gross.

Tried a Miller Lite tonight.... Also fucking gross.

I switched to light beers recently because I'm looking to lose a couple lbs and save some money too

I had some Miller Lite last week, I didn't think it was too bad

I've got Bud Light in the fridge right now and I fucking hate it

I already know I don't like Coors Light

I usually drink PBR, I'd get some PBR light but none of the stores I go to carry it

I'll probably go with Michelob Light next

• Poster of the Year
Beer Thread
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »
Going back to our Fat Tire talk from earlier, I had a couple of Blue Paddles from New Belgium. Preferred them, too.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
Beer Thread
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
Flying Dog is normally not one of my favorite breweries, but their 20th anniversary beer, Raging Bitch, is outstanding.  8.6% abv Belgian IPA--rich, smooth, hoppy, and cheap.  This is the sorta beer Founders or Dogfish Head would put out in a 4/$10 pack, and it's $8 or $9 for a 6-pack.  A great surprise.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Beer Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
Heineken mini kegs, Budweiser, Corona Lime, or some really fancy expensive beer that tastes good as hell every once in a while. That's my complete beer drinking menu.

I've tried every type of beer I've ever come across. I always come back to Budweiser though. I grew up on the shit, its like chocolate milk to me, its ingrained into my head from a young age that its awesome stuff. same with Newports.

When i lived in Pittsburgh, I'd go to the brewery once a month and get hammered. So many beers, so little time. It was always a great experience.

Offline the max

• Soxy
Beer Thread
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
I have been on a Newcastle kick lately, buying it pretty much whenever I need beer.

And we just started getting Magic Hat in our area, my roommate is going nuts.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2010, 06:55:40 AM »
How is Lionhead Lager?

Worth spending 10.95 + tax & deposit for a 12 pack?

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
How is Lionhead Lager?

I could ask someone later and get back to you.  I never touch beer myself.

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
Does everyone know that you can't buy beer at a liquor store in our state?  You have to buy at a beer store.  A beer store.  What the fuck is that.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Does everyone know that you can't buy beer at a liquor store in our state?  You have to buy at a beer store.  A beer store.  What the fuck is that.

There's beer stores in Ontario. Of course, you can also buy certain beers in the liquor store as well, so I'm just going to say your state sucks.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
How is Lionhead Lager?

Eh, don't go to any trouble

It's brewed in Wilkes-Barre, that's why I asked.  Supposedly it's real popular with college kids down there.  Saw it in a liquor store up north here for the first time the other day, I guess they're expanding their distribution.

What do you drink, btw?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
and don't say Zima

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2010, 05:49:04 AM »
And you have to get a case.

Or, if you want a 6-pack, you have to go to a bar or a restaurant (or sandwich shop) w/ a liquor license that offers carry-out.  Actually, Wegman's (a grocery store) recently obtained a license to sell beer on the grounds that they have a cafe in their stores, and thus qualify for a restaurant-category license, so that is another option.

Kind of a pain in the ass.  Luckily I have both a beer distributor & sandwich shop within a 45-second walk, although the sandwich shop's selection is pretty crappy.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
Alkeiper beer question
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2010, 05:56:02 AM »
How is Lionhead Lager?

Eh, don't go to any trouble

It's brewed in Wilkes-Barre, that's why I asked.  Supposedly it's real popular with college kids down there.  Saw it in a liquor store up north here for the first time the other day, I guess they're expanding their distribution.

What do you drink, btw?

Interestingly enough that brewery is located barely a mile from my girlfriend's apartment.  It's an old, distinctive brick building with a large lion's head logo painted on the side.  I should get pictures sometime.

As for my beverage of choice, I rarely drink alcohol.  I stick to diet beverages that agree with my diabetes management.  (Type 1, FTW)

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »
Does everyone know that you can't buy beer at a liquor store in our state?  You have to buy at a beer store.  A beer store.  What the fuck is that.
The fuck? And they don't sell beer in grocery stores? That is some dumb shit.

I thought Oregon had some fucked up laws. It's all state regulated so it costs more than it does down south in California, although beer and wine are barely taxed so they're still affordable (probably because it makes up a fairly valuable part of our state's economy) and they're sold in grocery stores. Liquor you have to go to a liquor store and there's only two in the entire state (both in Portland) that are open "late", that being 10pm. When I lived in Miami, last call there was earlier (although often ignored because there's always been some ambiguity about where there is no last call and where there is because of SoBe) at around 2am I believe but they even had drive thru liquor stores there that were open right up until you couldn't buy alcohol anymore.

Now THAT'S Progressive!

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Beer Thread
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:46 AM »
Pennsylvania has drive thru beer places too.  When I was in college I went down there to visit a buddy from high school and it blew my mind

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

Beer Thread
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
Pennsylvania has drive thru beer places too.
We do?  I haven't seen any.

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »
Yeah, they're definitely around, but they're really not that great.  It's not like walking into a beer store is a hassel.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Beer Thread
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »
Pennsylvania has drive thru beer places too.
We do?  I haven't seen any.

I know there are some in Erie