Author Topic: Beer Thread  (Read 62393 times)

Description:

Offline Gert

Beer Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 03:00:55 AM »
I've had about three of their beers; Pumpkin Ale, Hops Infusion and Insanity. Their Pumpkin Ale may be one of the better Pumpkin Ale I have had and the Insanity is good but pricey. Hops Infusion really doesn't stand out too much to me as an IPA.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 03:07:27 AM »
Their pumpkin ale was good, though, based on the one bottle I had several months back, I don't recall thinking it was better than the Dogfish Head version.

Have you had Heresy? I like imperial stouts and things that have been aged in oak barrels, but I just haven't picked it up yet. I think about it every time I go to my local beer shop, though.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »
Got 2 variety packs of craft beer last night, let you know what I think of them later.

Has anyone given home brewing  a try? I'm thinking of getting a kit and trying my hand a brewing beer

Hoff

Beer Thread
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
A good friend of mine home brews all the time. He loves his creations. They're...okay. Not sure about cost or what's required or anything, though, but the beer itself could certainly be worse.

It's not fancy or anything, but Friday I had a couple of "Belgian Brunettes" at Old Chicago, which for those not in the know is Guinness and Stella Artois together. Very tasty.

I'm not much for local, imported, or specialty brews, but two I do favor are Bell's Porter and Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter. Bell's is a very dark and malty brew, and Breckenridge's Vanilla is...kind of how it sounds. Very smooth. Bell's is based in Michigan (I believe) and Breckenridge is in Colorado, so I get both here in Minnie. I'd highly recommend either if you're a fan of porter.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
I dove into the two vairety boxes last night, trying one from each.

The Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog Brewery is real, real good. Not to mention all their beer seems to be Hunter S. Thompson inspired. I may be a fan for life if the rest of their beer holds up.

The other variety pack came from Saranac beers, specifically I tried their Stout. It was good, but a bit bland. Stout is hard to get right, IMO, and most American stouts don't really hold up to Euro stouts.

BTW I'm trying to track down the Purple Haze vodka and the Frank Zappa beer if anyone can help with that

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:34 AM »
I'm in full on Spring beers mode right now.  Really enjoying Philadelphia Brewing Co's offerings, especially the Walt Wit and the Fleur de Lehigh.  Rogue Mom Hefe is pretty good too.

Philly has been in front of the beer resurgence in the US for a few years, and it's just so nice to live here as a beer fan.  It seems like every bar that opens now knows that they have to have a great selection of craft beers to make it.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 08:11:26 AM »
Philly hasn't been in front of the beer resurgence at all. Portland started the entire microbrewery movement a couple decades ago, and we still have the largest variety of craft and microbrews to choose from in the country. Get the facts here: http://oregonbeer.org/facts/
• Oregon is the second largest producer of craft beer in the US. 1 [presumably the top would be California, which makes sense given the population]
• Oregon is the 4th largest craft beer market in the US in supermarket sales.2
• 37% Percent of all draft beer consumed in Oregon is brewed in Oregon. 1
• Oregon has the 4th highest percentage of beer draft sales in the US.2
• Oregonians consumed 2.72 million barrels of beer in 2008, of that more than 327,000 barrels were made in Oregon or about 12 percent of the total beer consumed in Oregon - the highest percentage of local craft beer consumption in the country.1,3
• Oregon is the No. 2 hop growing state in the country with a 2008 crop value of $38,000,000 which ranks 18th in Oregon’s five billion dollar agricultural economy. 4
• There are currently 73 brewing companies, operating 96 brewing facilities in Oregon.1
• There are 30 breweries operating in Portland, more than any other city in the world. 1
• The Portland metro area has 38 breweries, more than any other metro area in the US. 1
• The Portland metro area is the largest craft brewing market in the US.2
• The national average for total craft beer consumption by volume is 4.0 percent. 2

Yeah, suck it Philly. They don't call Portland Beervana for nothin'. Hell, even that Rogue beer you're drinking? That's an Oregon beer.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Beer Thread
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
VX: my friend just moved there, and all he ever says is 1)The craft beer is the shit 2)free awesome public transportation and 3)everyone is nice

makes me want to ditch baltimore....

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 02:57:39 AM »
Philly hasn't been in front of the beer resurgence at all. Portland started the entire microbrewery movement a couple decades ago, and we still have the largest variety of craft and microbrews to choose from in the country. Get the facts here: http://oregonbeer.org/facts/
• Oregon is the second largest producer of craft beer in the US. 1 [presumably the top would be California, which makes sense given the population]
• Oregon is the 4th largest craft beer market in the US in supermarket sales.2
• 37% Percent of all draft beer consumed in Oregon is brewed in Oregon. 1
• Oregon has the 4th highest percentage of beer draft sales in the US.2
• Oregonians consumed 2.72 million barrels of beer in 2008, of that more than 327,000 barrels were made in Oregon or about 12 percent of the total beer consumed in Oregon - the highest percentage of local craft beer consumption in the country.1,3
• Oregon is the No. 2 hop growing state in the country with a 2008 crop value of $38,000,000 which ranks 18th in Oregon’s five billion dollar agricultural economy. 4
• There are currently 73 brewing companies, operating 96 brewing facilities in Oregon.1
• There are 30 breweries operating in Portland, more than any other city in the world. 1
• The Portland metro area has 38 breweries, more than any other metro area in the US. 1
• The Portland metro area is the largest craft brewing market in the US.2
• The national average for total craft beer consumption by volume is 4.0 percent. 2

Yeah, suck it Philly. They don't call Portland Beervana for nothin'. Hell, even that Rogue beer you're drinking? That's an Oregon beer.

Yeah, I didn't quite mean it like that.  I meant that good beer has been popular for several years here, instead of just the past year or two.

Philly though can hold it's own with Portland for overall options though too.  (especially if you stretch to the surrounding areas).  We've got Victory, PBC, Yards and Sly Fox in the immediate city area.  Weyerbacher and Dogfish Head close by along with Flying Fish.

Also, the Belgium beer options here are the best in the country.  Portland may be a bigger overall craft market, but there is no way they can compete with the import options here.

It is possible for there to be two good beer cities......

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:41 AM »
Hey, you just said that Philly was in front of the beer resurgence the past few years. I don't how else you could've meant it. Regardless, I don't know about the Belgian beer options... I'm pretty sure we import a hell of a lot more of that as well. I've gone to several bars in town that offer at least 3 Belgian selections on draught. Here's an example of a really good beer store in town's selection:

http://www.belmont-station.com/bottlealpha.html

This is a city that's absolutely OBSESSED with beer. I don't know of anywhere else in the country that you can go to any ol' gas station or 7-11 or whatever that has at least a window or so full of micros alone to choose from in their beer section. Definitely give you guys the edge in Dogfish Head over Rogue, though.

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 04:11:26 AM »
I meant time wise, not necessaryily leading the way.  I would put Portland, Philly, and probably Boston as places that seemed to be ahead of the times.  Portland definitely lead the craft revolution that's going on (with the exception of Anchor Steam, obv.)  The majority of big cities seem to just now be picking up on good beer.

As far as Belgiums go, I offer up Monk's Cafe FTW.

http://www.monkscafe.com/

Check out the on tap listing. 

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Beer Thread
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:56 AM »
I'm always surprised that nearly every bar I've been to abroad stocks Newcastle Brown Ale, I'm not sure if thats because there's Geordies (people from Newcastle) everywhere or if its actually liked outside of Newcastle. Personally, I only drink one bottle of it a year, as I think it taste's like dog muck.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »
I meant time wise, not necessaryily leading the way.  I would put Portland, Philly, and probably Boston as places that seemed to be ahead of the times.  Portland definitely lead the craft revolution that's going on (with the exception of Anchor Steam, obv.)  The majority of big cities seem to just now be picking up on good beer.

As far as Belgiums go, I offer up Monk's Cafe FTW.

http://www.monkscafe.com/

Check out the on tap listing.  
I see your Monk's Cafe and raise you Higgins' Belgian selection:
http://higgins.ypguides.net/page/o30f/Beer_Menu.html
and I'll throw in Concordia Ale House in NE Portland which I don't go to as much because it's not a 5 minute bike ride away:
http://www.concordia-ale.com/draft.php
and just for fun, one of my favorite beer bars which has a selection of one of every type of beer available on tap at all times:
http://pdxgreendragon.com/tap-list

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Beer Thread
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:30 AM »
Maine's got a surprisingly good craft brewing scene. I could probably tell you more but I'm still mostly stuck in my cheap beer stage.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-drink/american-beer-bars-slide-6.html?thisSpeed=25000
But hey---the bar down the street from my house is on of America's Best Beer Bars according to Forbes Traveler!

When I want something a bit fancier than the usual PBRs and Steel Reserve- I usually grab Long Trail Ale, which is a Vermont beer (an altbier to be specific---thanks Wikipedia).

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »
Maine's got a good beer scene because of your proximity to Vermont, which is the Mecca of beer brewers thanks to the American Brewer's Guild school being located there in Salisbury. That's where a lot of great microbrewers have gone to learn their craft.

http://www.abgbrew.com/

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
Beer Thread
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 06:59:54 AM »
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline C Dubya 09

Beer Thread
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »
What's everyone's feelings on Green Flash?  I found the West Coast IPA to be a little over rated (might have just heard too many people raving and built to high expectations, but I thought it to be a little blaring and harsh in bottle form (better on draft)).  However, Hop Head Red I loved.  Just tasted some over the weekend and thought it to be near perfect.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Beer Thread
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 05:42:27 AM »

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Beer Thread
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2009, 04:29:11 AM »
I have a new fav brew.  It's called an Eclipse and is mixed like a black n tan (Guiness & Bass ale)

It is, Blue Moon & Guiness,

You basically get a beer glass/mug, pour it 3/4 full with Blue Moon, and then pour in Guiness over the back of a spoon, and the Guiness sits on top of the Blue Moon.  Gooooood stuff.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
Beer Thread
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 01:47:17 AM »
That's an interesting one. My favorite has always been the traditional half & half (Guinness and Harp).
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
Beer Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
Swung by Whole Foods the other night and grabbed a six of Great Divide Samurai Rice Ale, along with a six of Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale.  Picked up the rice ale mostly as a novelty, and it's nothing too special, but is a pretty flavorful blonde for how light it is.  I drink Peak Brown like it's water, and recommend it highly to anyone who puts Newcastle or Brooklyn Brown in their rotation.  I think it beats the daylights out of both of them, and I even like both of those.

Offline Tawren

Beer Thread
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2009, 08:53:38 AM »
Bud Light Lime fucking sucks. I don't understand how it is popular. It's just terrible

Offline Edwin

Beer Thread
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
I generally don't care for beers that are in any way connected to fruit, but I really like the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.  This is doubly surprising since I normally find most Sam Adams products to range from completely average to wholly bleh.  Superb way to start off a barbecue.

Offline the max

• Soxy
Beer Thread
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Oktoberfest beers are out. Huzzah!

I found a leftover from last year Moerlein Fifth and Vine Oktoberfest at a liquor store a couple weeks ago. Still good, $3.99 for the six-pack.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
Yay for Oktoberfest! I've been drinking the Widmer Okto when I've gotten the chance. Most of you guys outside the NW probably are unfamiliar with Widmer outside of maybe the Hefeweizen.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2009, 08:55:23 AM »
So this holiday season, I thought I'd curb my drinking by buying good, more expensive beer instead of the PBR I like to swill at school but I failed to realize that a lot of the nicer beers have double the alcohol content than the crap I'm used to drinking! Least I'm getting drunk in style.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
During the holiday season I tend to go more for quantity than quality.  Miller Lite for New Year's!

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
I'm a contradiction I guess. I had a nice Brooklyn Lager Black Chocolate Stout after dinner. Then 7 or 8 PBRs at an New Year's Eve party.....followed by an ultimate bitch drink (Malibu and Pineapple Juice) x2. I'm a schizophrenic drinker.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Beer Thread
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
http://crushallboxes.blogspot.com/2007/07/frank-beer.html
Frank Zappa Beer!!

I am in the process of trying to track this down now...

I have the 'Kill Ugly Radio' 'We're Only In It For the Money' and 'Lumpy Gravy' bottles.  From what I remember the beer wasn't anything special, and I'm not really a fan of Lagunitas brews for the price they get, but it was worth it as a collectors item.  And yeah, I was aware of the irony of a devout non-drinker like Zappa having beer bottled in his honour

My 2 beers of choice are PBR as the cheap 'drink it like it's water' brew, and Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA when I want something more substantial.  Dogfish Head is a Delaware brewery that makes some great beers, I don't know if people can find it outside of the Northeast though.  6 packs run about 11-12 bucks round here, but it's well worth it.

I also recommend a Western Mass brewing company, BBC, they sell 22oz bottles and 64oz growlers and have a pair of great ales among other things.  You can find their beers all across the state, some bars in Boston have them on tap, and I've also seen it in Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate NY and even a bar in NYC.  I don't think it's available outside of the North East yet, but they've grown quite a bit in the last 5-10 years and I would assume will eventually become available at specialty liquor stores in other states.

Offline Vitamin X

Beer Thread
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
I'm a contradiction I guess. I had a nice Brooklyn Lager Black Chocolate Stout after dinner. Then 7 or 8 PBRs at an New Year's Eve party.....followed by an ultimate bitch drink (Malibu and Pineapple Juice) x2. I'm a schizophrenic drinker.
Malibu Pineapple isn't an ultimate bitch drink! It's fuckin' great after smoking a couple bowls. It's really sweet and the drunkedness sneaks up on ya.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »
Dogfish Head is one of the more popular "micro brews" in the States; you can find their signature beers pretty much anywhere.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »

This is my shit when I've got an extra buck or two to spend on beer. So light and refreshing. Even my non-drinking, beer hating mother enjoys it. Should be available at most places that sell good beer in New England. Don't know how far its reach is outside of my region.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
North Carolina has it.  Ever since the alcohol content laws were slackened a few years ago, beers like this have become much more common in the south and midwest.

Offline the max

• Soxy
Beer Thread
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »
I got the Sam Adams Winter Classic Sampler or whateverthefuck at Sam's Club a bit ago. I do enjoy a Sam Adams.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
Beer Thread
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »
I bought an 18 pack of High Life the other day and the cans don't have camo on them anymore :( :( :(

Offline Edwin

Beer Thread
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
The greatest beer packaging I ever encountered was the Busch Hunter's Pack, which was Busch--not Busch Light, nay--in which the box and cans were all clad in orange camo.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 03:51:32 AM »
The essay on the bottle of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is pretty funny. Beer's pretty good itself.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Beer Thread
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »
Newcastle used to be my fav.  Everyone says they changed their ingredients.  Any truth to this?

Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
Can't to sleep so I'm busting out a nice Allagash Trippel bomber, which I'd hoped to bust out for a semi-special occasion (...or Tuesday's We Watch Shitty Wrestling meeting). It's the only beer/alcohol in my house right now.

I'm in my defense, I've had a grand total of six or so beers this weekend. Only one of which was during a mildly traumatizing night yesterday*.  I deserve this.

Speaking of last night, who knew that IHOP served beer? Not very good but it's there!

*Had nothing to do with my hilarious bad posting last night but a quasi triple date that a friend set up. Needless to say, nobody ended up getting laid!

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
Beer Thread
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »

I fell in love this weekend.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2010, 06:43:10 AM »
I got some Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Never had it before. Mostly got it because I love saying the word "hefeweizen" in a German accent.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Beer Thread
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »

Oh I can't wait to be back in Ontario to have one of these.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Beer Thread
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
I've been seeing Ed Hardy beer everywhere since Christmas.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
Beer Thread
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »
In Miami Beach, one entrepreneur wants you to “have it your way” by enjoying a frosty cold one with your Whopper and fries. (For a mere $7.99.) It’s part of a new Burger King attempt to reinvent the fast-food restaurant’s look and feel.

The restaurant will be called the “Whopper Bar South Beach” which, to me, sounds a little hokey. But maybe the name will work just fine in Florida.

The long-term goal is to make people want to hang out in their local Burger King. Beer is a good way to motivate people, especially the coveted 21 to 30-year-old male market share. In other countries, like Germany, fast food joints have been offering cans of beer with burgers for over a decade. But here in the U.S., very few fast food restaurants offer alcoholic beverages.

Offline Gert

Beer Thread
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
Found a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale in the side of the fridge. Still very good despite being hidden for 4 months.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2010, 06:20:05 AM »
Spaten Optimator is such a good reliable beer.

Offline Gert

Beer Thread
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »
Optimator is a great beer. I usually get to have it draught about 3 times a year in the Natty.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
Beer Thread
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »
I pounded Sea Dog Blueberry Ale and Sam Adams Coastal Wheat for the past six days. Both are damn good. I was surprised the Sam Adams was good since most of their beers aren't great to me.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Beer Thread
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »
I didn't like that Sam Adams wheat at all, but I'm not a huge fan of them in general.

Best wheat I've had is probably New Belgium's Mothership Wit.

Nice grainy quality; plenty of spices and citrus.

Offline Incandenza

Beer Thread
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
Only New Belgium beer I've had is Fat Tire and it was no good. Same sort of flavorless bunk as Magic Hat's #9.