Author Topic: Golf Thread  (Read 20521 times)

Description:

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
Re: Golf Thread
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
That's why I said 3 or 4...but with the force that it hit that stick and how he putted this tournament...I don't know that I can just give him the birdie in my mind. 

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
Tiger had his chances on the front 9 today and his putter failed him.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
Anyone who thinks that the people running the show were going to disqualify Tiger for that drop is insane. There is no way they would cost themselves all that money and the ratings he brings in. It's over and done with though.

Tiger still has yet to win a Major coming from behind. That's just insane to think about.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Tiger had his chances on the front 9 today and his putter failed him.

The only consequential putt I recall him hitting on the front nine was the par save on 8.

What a difference on the front and second nines from an entertainment standpoint. Not much of anything happened until the 14th hole, let alone the two wonderful shots (back to back, no less!) by Scott and Cabrera on 18.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Every time some sportswriter goes on about being at or looking forward to being at the Masters, this smug asshole invariably says something like

But most of all, that distinctly Augustan delicacy: the pimento cheese sandwich.

And I didn't really know what this was, so I looked it up. Basically it's pepper jack spread and mayonnaise on plain white sandwich bread. THAT'S IT? This fucking club that goes to such great lengths to keep anyone with melanin and/or a vagina out of their redneck shithead convention, their greatest and most famous gustatory achievement is cheese and mayonnaise on Wonder bread? FUCK YOU. No wonder you don't let them in! They'd laugh at you and your shitty food! That's not something you wait all year to eat! That's something you make at 1 in the morning when there's not much food in the house but you figure you might as well improvise something! Jesus Christ these golf shitheads. Fuck their shitty food and fuck the South and fuck them.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
It's more because everything is still cheap there in this day and age but I get your point nonetheless.

« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »
Funny story from Gerry Dee (of all people) coming from The Masters:

The media who cover The Masters all get a chance to play the course the Monday after. There's a draw, and I believe one of every four writers get to play. Gerry Dee left Augusta late Friday, got a call Sunday morning saying he'd been picked, got on a red-eye (pissing his wife off), and played Monday. It was his first time covering. Bob Weeks of TSN is 0-for-19 lifetime.

« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:52 PM »
Remember when Tiger vs Sergio was gonna be the next great thing in golf? The Sunday duel at Medinah, then "Battle at Bighorn". What was the third chapter? Sergio getting catty on Friday of the '02 US Open? Well, guess what happened today when they were paired together?

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=422959

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
It is good to see Sergio get his game back together after a few rough years and I do like to see him play.  However, he needs to quit bitching so much.  The only time he makes headlines anymore is when he is complaining about how people are out to get him and making excuses for his poor play.  If he would own up to his shortcomings he would probably have a couple of majors by now.  As it is, he is turning into this generation's Colin Montgomerie.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
"Tin Cup" "Roy McAvoy" and "Kevin Costner" all trending on twitter as Sergio goes full retard on 17 and ends up 6 back of Tiger who wins the Players Championship.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
I was disappointed to see that Jeff Maggert couldn't hang in there.

I was watching Sergio on 17 and told my dad, who normally doesn't watch golf, "Sergio is going to dunk this shot.  He is bad around water hazards at the end of tournaments,"and my dad says "no, I think he's going to get it close."  Sure enough, Sergio swings and dunks it and loses.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #511 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
The Spaniard was on stage at the European Tour's gala players' awards dinner, where he was questioned by the Golf Channel's Steve Sands. García, who has been embroiled in verbal battles with Woods since the Players Championship at Sawgrass this month, was asked in jest if he would have the American round for dinner one night during the upcoming US Open. "We will have him round every night," García said. "We will serve fried chicken."

http://deadspin.com/sergio-garcia-makes-tiger-woods-fried-chicken-joke-a-509214406?rev=1369193936&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Fuuuuuuuck

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #512 on: May 22, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
Haha I respect that. At least he didn't call him a nigger.

« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »
Billy Horschel hit every GIR in the second round, and he's tied in the clubhouse for the lead with Lefty after 36.

Horschel's having a fine season this year, but look at all the guys who are (or once were) in contention who have been regarded as  "major good, or maybe one day?": Donald, Stricker, Poulter, Mahan, Stenson are all within four shots or fewer, and Tiger and Rory certainly aren't done at four back each, either.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #514 on: June 15, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »
If Phil or Sticker wins this then it'll be great.  Those are the two I'm rooting for anyway.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #515 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »
Another player to keep your eye on is amateur Michael Kim, who had an outstanding year on the NCAA circuit for UC-Berkeley.  He's got two holes to play and is tied for 6th at +1.

« Reply #516 on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
If Phil or Sticker wins this then it'll be great.  Those are the two I'm rooting for anyway.

I'm not nearly the Phil fan I once was (The Eddie Haskell thing), but it's tough not to pull for a five-time runner-up; even if he did beat himself in two of those five.

« Reply #517 on: June 16, 2013, 01:55:53 AM »
Oh, and on that note, what's the over/under on Winged Foot C2006 references made during today's broadcast? I'm saying at least four.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #518 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:27 AM »
I'm going to say more than that because you will hear a ton of them if Phil is leading with about three holes to go and especially if he gets to 18 with the lead.  Phil gets a lot of negative press for Winged Foot, but IMO the guy that really blew that tournament was Colin Montgomerie.  Was tied for the lead, with Phil, when he approached 18, hit a great shot in the fairway, and then missed the green on his second shot and made double bogey to miss the playoff by 1 stroke.  As a Montgomerie fan that loss was REALLY tough to take.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #519 on: June 16, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
Well Phil had his chances, but the missed green at 13, the terrible approach and bogey at 15, and the miss at 16 is what cost him the tournament (if you exclude the two double bogeys early in the round).  His driving wasn't that good today either.

All things considered, it's good to see Rose win a major.  I remember when he broke onto the scene at the 1998 British as an amateur and also remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated in 1999 that basically wrote him off as ever amounting to anything.  After bombing out in his initial run on the European Tour he was relegated to the Challenge Tour (which is their version of the Web.com Tour here) and he rebuilt his game with the help of David Leadbetter.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #520 on: July 21, 2013, 03:14:19 AM »
Phil's in the clubhouse at -3. He's got this one.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #521 on: July 22, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
That was one of the best rounds I've ever seen Phil play and I've been watching since 1996.  His putting was unbelievable.  I never thought Mickelson would ever win the British Open, but he somehow pulled it off.  Now the big question is whether he can win a U.S. Open in the next three or four years and take the career Grand Slam, which would solidify his status as one of the greatest golfers of all-time.

Tiger really needs to get out this mental funk of giving away majors on the weekend.  He puts himself in contention during the first two rounds and then shoots over par to knock himself out.  I think Paul Azinger said it best yesterday when he noted that Tiger just doesn't look like he enjoys playing anymore.  If he ever brought back some of the energy and enthusiasm he had for the game pre-2009 that would help him.

« Reply #522 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
Since winning the 2008 U.S. Open, Tiger is -11 on weekdays at majors, and +23 on weekends.

He can't be done (law of averages, he has hung around more than a couple majors since his last), but, yeah, I agree O'Reilly, he just needs the old spark back. A buddy of mine texted me Thursday after Tiger holed out from the bunker and said "Tiger wins the tournament with that shot." He just needs a big, fist-pump inducing shot late Sunday to get it back; or, perhaps to scare some first-timers. The last few major leaderboards have been rife with "Is he the best without" contenders.

I said a number of times, probably on here no less, I was less of a Phil fan now than I was, say, ten years ago. The Eddie Haskell thing just keeps coming up, but I was rooting like hell for him last month; how could you not get behind a (then) five-time runner-up? What a great story of redemption yesterday was for him. What's particularly great about it is no one gave the tournament away. Westwood's +3 did stink a bit, but there's no question Phil won it.

« Reply #523 on: April 13, 2014, 05:35:03 AM »
Jack Nicklaus won his first Masters in 1963, becoming the (then) youngest winner. Seventeen years later, Seve Ballesteros won his first Masters, becoming the (then) youngest champion. Seventeen years after that, Tiger Woods won his first green coat to break the "youngest" mark.......seventeen years from that, Jordan Spieth shares the 54-hole lead at the age of 20.

On the other hand, who's not kinda sorta (if not outright) pulling for Freddie?

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #524 on: July 31, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
http://deadspin.com/dustin-johnson-takes-leave-of-absence-to-seek-professi-1614211528

Yikes. Dustin Johnson taking a leave of absence to deal with "personal challenges." Strong rumor is that it's a cocaine addiction, and some are speculating that his back injury two years ago was actually a drug related issue too.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #525 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
Marries Paulina Gretzky, gets cocaine addiction. Hmm....

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2014, 02:09:40 AM »
Well, I hope Dustin gets things straightened out.  If he was on some kind of drug, I wouldn't be surprised because he has looked like absolute crap lately.

In happier news, I have tickets to the final round of the PGA Championship next weekend so I'm excited about it.  I've never attended a PGA event before, so I look forward to crossing that off my bucket list.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »

Well, I hope Dustin gets things straightened out.  If he was on some kind of drug, I wouldn't be surprised because he has looked like absolute crap lately.

In happier news, I have tickets to the final round of the PGA Championship next weekend so I'm excited about it.  I've never attended a PGA event before, so I look forward to crossing that off my bucket list.

You're gonna have an awesome time. I go to the Bridgestone annually (going to the final round this weekend), and it's one of my favorite things to do every year.

One tip: Unless you are a Tiger mega-fan, avoid the holes he's playing. It's always an absolute circus, even when he's not in contention. You have to camp out a hole ahead to see a shot, otherwise, you'll be 7 rows deep if you walk with him.

Offline WKU Tops

• Danville_Wrestling
« Reply #528 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:19 AM »

You're gonna have an awesome time. I go to the Bridgestone annually (going to the final round this weekend), and it's one of my favorite things to do every year.

One tip: Unless you are a Tiger mega-fan, avoid the holes he's playing. It's always an absolute circus, even when he's not in contention. You have to camp out a hole ahead to see a shot, otherwise, you'll be 7 rows deep if you walk with him.

Yeah, I figured I'd avoid the Tiger crowd like the plague.  I follow a lot of the European Tour and have been a PGA TOUR fan since like 1996, so just seeing some of these lesser/veteran guys like Justin Leonard or Davis Love III that I've watched on TV is a thrill unto itself.

Do you have any general tips for attending these things (aside from the Tiger bit)?  I've heard to get there when the gates open, watch the guys warm up on the range for a little while, pick one of the first 3-4 groups off and follow them to see the course, and then park yourself on one of the closing holes to see everyone else play through.  Seems like a sound strategy, but any other advice would be appreciated.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2019, 05:30:04 AM »

Offline Gert

« Reply #530 on: April 14, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
I had a Molinari ticket today from when I was in Vegas three weeks ago at 28-1, so it was the question "how much would you pay to see Tiger win another Major"? I lost $420, but today was really awesome, especially considering Tiger was three strokes down at #10.

I also think and this isn't a hot take; Tiger's game is live at all of the other Major's this year. I think with the PGA being moved to May this will also help Tiger as he can really condense his schedule.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #531 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2019, 09:45:48 AM »
Koepka has become the first golfer ever to be a double major winner that defended both titles.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?