Author Topic: The MMA Article Thread  (Read 3393 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

The MMA Article Thread
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:55 AM »
There are a lot of mma and mma-related pieces floating around out there. Some good, some bad, some just plain crazy. A lot of times we get links to these but they're lost in the shuffle, figured we could use a seperate thread for them and a place where we can link or test out our own posters writing.

To start us off an absolutely incredible story by Karim Zidan from Bloody Elbow about a guy who spent 12 years trapped in an mma cult. Must read shit.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/20/9115921/longform-coach-cultist-mma-mind-control-fear-cult-victim-tale-heavyweight-konstantin-gluhov?utm_campaign=zidansports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Re: The MMA Article Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Keep on posting these, good reads.

I don't really scour MMA sites anymore, but if something great/at least cool comes my way like the stuff above, I'll post it in here.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:04:47 AM »
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28/9091777/viral-ko-video-spurs-state-investigation-into-unsanctioned-mma-events

Mookie Alexander of Bloody Elbow has been reporting on these guys for a while, the whole thing is crazy shady.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
Some classics:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

Even after getting his story told, he's still not Jason Thacker in the title/keyword/URL :(

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/13/5499090/the-eagles-of-bettendorf#4064019

GOAT story about one of the GOAT gyms, the legacy of which still stands tall today with Lawler defending a UFC title against the new breed.

I'd kill for a comprehensive feature on the life and legacy of Sakuraba, but most articles I've seen are kinda superficial.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:26:03 AM »
The Thacker article is one of the most interesting and sad mma pieces I've read in a long time. Mindenhall absolutely killed it with that one.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:19:01 AM »

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
Holy shit.  That is insane.  I wonder if the suicide of his brother is what he was struggling to deal with right before that Werdum fight in Mexico.  What a remarkable guy.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »
If it was you wouldn't have known it. He was torching Werdum before getting caught.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 01:40:11 AM »
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-The-End-of-a-Phenomenal-Long-Con-94871

Jordan Breen actually churning out more then art-school drivel. Hows about that.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 02:28:02 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Breen but that was pretty good. Especially the line near the end about the rules not applying to Vitor.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:06 AM »
It must have been torture for him to not drop some random early 90's underground hip-hop reference.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Mauro-Ranallo-Battling-a-Stigma-95907

Wow. Just.....wow. Talk all the shit you want about his broadcasting style but as a human being you can't question his character.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 03:14:22 AM »
I knew he had Bipolar, but didn't know it was that bad. I'll never like his commentary but I gotta respect The Mauro as a person.

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:42:36 AM »
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

Another must-read from Shaun Al-Shatti. I knew Aldo was a bad man but listening to guys talk about the long-term damage fighting him has done....holy shit.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 03:14:39 AM »
I know the writer said he may just be getting started, but I have a hard time believing that with all the fights he's been in over ten years.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 03:16:24 AM »
I can understand why Cub Swanson turned down an interview request but wonder why Edgar wouldn't talk to him.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 04:05:05 AM »
Probably feel too connected, most of the guys who spoke will never fight Aldo again. Even Mendes and Llamas, I doubt they get another shot. But they both seem like humble guys.

Honestly, that's like 5 good articles with all the awesome quotes. A lot of real insight from the best in the business, plenty of real talk.

Some of this stuff seems like common sense to me, but it's bothersome how the narrative in the greater MMA world forgets some of it, like

Lamas: Unfortunately in this sport, the fans only see you as good as your last performance. It doesn’t matter, all the great accomplishments you’ve done in the past. If you lose a fight then all of a sudden you suck. Not all the fans are like that, but a lot of them are because we have a lot of fans who aren’t… I wouldn’t say very educated on the sport or the fighters. Unfortunately it’s like that.

Lamas: In Brazil he’s a superstar. I think that’s all that really matters to him. That’s his home. That’s his country. Like me, I wouldn’t care how people in Europe or wherever perceive me. I’m never going to be there so I’m never going to be around those people. I’m here in America. So I think it hurts him in America or other English speaking countries because the fans don’t really get a chance to get to know him, but that’s where he’s from.

I agree completely with all that, it bothers me that people expect Aldo to be all this shit he doesn't need to be. He's not the promoter.

The first part is what bothers me if he loses. A lot of people will shit on his legacy, Dana White fostered that kind of reputation tbh

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 04:11:35 AM »
It's no different than Ronda.

I think the only fighter that really avoided a huge backlash about their legacy was Anderson. Then he took Thai dick medicine and he got his backlash.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 05:13:32 AM »
I'm not sure how much backlash towards Rousey has to do with people trying to discredit her prior opponents. I think it was more people being happy she got KTFO'd because of how she comes across.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »
I saw so much "She was never any good to begin with" everywhere. And a lot of it was casuals but there was a lot of bailing off the Ronda train onto the Ronda Sucks train, even by "hard cores".

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 05:43:51 AM »
Those people are called "morons".

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »
Anyone who thinks she isn't great is pretty stupid. She does only have one flaw that's able to be exploited by only the absolute highest level of boxer/kickboxer..

To think of this generation being around when guys like Ali, Foreman, and Frazier were fighting, I dunno, I don't think I could handle all these critiques and hot takes.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Gert

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
That was a great article on Aldo, and it reminded me how much damage he did to Hominick and Florian.

To what you guys were saying earlier too, I did like Faber's quote about how it was hard to fight against World Champion caliber fighters. I sometimes am guilty of that during fights, wondering why guys are not "going for it" more.

This article made me excited for the fight in two weeks.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »
Jeremy Botter wrote a hell of an article on the injury problem in UFC and what they're doing about it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2594909-the-cost-mmas-injury-epidemic-and-how-the-ufc-is-seeking-to-fix-it

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
Good article but the cynic in me can't help but wonder how much influence UFC had on Botter writing it. Seems a tad fishy that in the wake of all the bad press they've been getting lately that all of a sudden a very pro-Zuffa piece emerges.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 04:09:28 AM »
To me, that's the worst thing about MMA fans. We've been given so many reason to hate Zuffa that most can't or are unwilling to accept that they don't hate the fighters. It seems half of them think Dana sits in his office and pulls names out of a hat and ruins those guys' lives.

Yeah, they do some pretty shitty things but they're still the company that takes the best care of the fighters. If you replaced everything Zuffa-centric in that article with Bellator, there'd be a lineup of people on their knees ready to blow Coker.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
I don't think they hate the fighters who work for them. I think they take advantage of them to a criminal degree because they can.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 05:43:27 AM »
Then fighters can find another job or sign somewhere else.

They still pay more than any organization in North America (I'm not familiar enough with Asia and Europe), provide health insurance and offer the Athlete Summits to educate the fighters. Bellator has exponentially more money behind it and does none of these things. But Coker isn't Dana so he gets a pass.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »
Bellator (and other orgs) troubles are besides the point though.  UFC is the big dog and strives to stay that way and be known as the industry standard.  Do some people go overboard in their hatred/love for Zuffa. sure. However that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate problems with their business model.

"Pays the fighters the most" doesn't mean a whole lot, it just means other companies pay even worse.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 03:26:09 AM »

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart

DTF

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 05:41:19 AM »
Wow...

What the fuck...

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »
I'm shocked he hasn't been canned by WSOF already. There is clearly a conflict of interest in terms of his role with the company and his as a fighter manager.

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 06:42:31 AM »
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnwrousey/in-exclusive-interview-ronda-rousey-says-not-losing-holly-holm

Long story short: ESPN sent a reporter to Australia to follow Rousey and take a bunch of high-res photos of her because they assumed she would win. She didn't and they still needed to use the photos. Thus, this article was born.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:50 AM »
That is a pretty great article.  I really appreciate the articles that just report.  No opinions, no skewing just in in-depth look. You don't get a lot of that anymore.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
Ronda not congratulating Holm or giving her any praise is in no way surprising. But hey, she was on the money when she said that people were happy she got really hurt.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:19 AM »
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/22/10722814/until-the-last-light-leaves-london-shawn-tompkins-sam-stout

Shaun Al-Shatti breaking my Southern Ontario heart with the story about how Team Tompkins came to be and how Sean's death completely devastated the team.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
That was a great article, I wish they addressed some of the drug rumours.

Sam tells you that he’s not really retired. That, for whatever it’s worth, it is the opposite. "One of the hardest things is financial stress," he says. "I have a daughter, and now I have no income. I’m unemployed. I wish I could say I made enough money to really retire, but that’s not the case. It’s not that I wasn’t smart with my money or anything like that. It’s just the sport. It’s not enough. The money we’re making is practically blue-collar money. Once you’re done, it doesn’t mean you get to relax for a little while. It means you’ve got to get right back on the grind and start fresh in something completely different, as a coach or whatever. That’s been one of the hardest things."

That's fucking depressing.

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »
They aren't rumours. I have family in London that have partied with Shawn, he was a blow-head.

And it kinda addresses the drugs in a soft way, the line about he could be out all night and still be up for 6 am to help guys cut weight was a pretty telling one IMO. Probably still wired from the night before.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/27/11719628/in-the-shadow-of-the-monster-kevin-randleman-ufc

Junior year, 1993. There is no stopping this ghost in the red and white singlet. The shredded ligament in his knee is nothing more than a distraction, a discomfort, because this is winning time and motherfuckers like him feast on greatness. But then, a pop – his jaw is broken. He can barely clench his teeth. He calls time and thumps the side of his head. Once. He is a madman. Twice. He is a surgeon. The bones in his skull snap back in place, and with a jaw wired shut, he thrashes the next four men he faces. Back-to-back NCAA champion. Immortal before he leaves the mat.

For years, Monster Wrestling Academy was the pride of Kevin’s post-fighting life. He loved teaching the kids. He loved spending time on the mats. Yet like so many positive things around The Monster, he talked about it only when asked. "Kev was so generous and giving," says Baroni. "I lived in Vegas and I didn’t know for the longest time that he had this whole program where he was helping all these kids.

"All these little kids and all these wrestlers. Hundreds of kids that no one ever knows about. He’s not a bragger.
"

excuse me there's uhhh umm somethin in my eye

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 04:37:52 AM »
Yeah, just got done reading that article and man....got choked up a few times during the course of it.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 07:59:54 AM »
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/a-history-of-nonviolence/

great article on Greg Jackson. BZ will appreciate all the Breaking Bad references.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 05:29:02 AM »
War Machine's trial got postponed till February of next year, worth reading this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2560140-a-monster-among-us-the-dark-descent-of-war-machine

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 05:55:25 AM »
Safe for work?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
No disgusting, violent pictures. I read it at work, I think you're good.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 06:07:36 AM »
I mean there is a pic of him in a fight punching someone, but I think that's the same as any other MMA article. The worst picture was probably this one at the bottom

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2016, 02:40:32 AM »
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

posting in this thread because it's worth saving in this library. soooo good.