Author Topic: In Which I Review Movies  (Read 32192 times)

Description: Icarus

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
In Which I Review Movies
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
I had been compiling my list of IMDB ratings, which are by no stretch an accurate representation of how I feel about those movies, and realized that I'd really only watched a paltry selection of movies. 530 movies watched is really a far lesser number than it sounds like. I really don't know what I'm doing with my life, and worst of all, I haven't watched shit. Therefore, I'm going to watch more movies and will update this thread at a rate that is likely infrequent. These reviews will often contain spoilers, so if you see the title and picture at the top of each post and don't want to be spoiled, don't read.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
Re: In Which I Review Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »

Gone Girl, directed by David Fincher

I could have picked an easier one to start with, but this was the last movie I watched. Ben Affleck plays Nick Dunne, and Rosamund Pike plays Amy Dunne. Both lost their jobs during the recession and when Nick's mother became ill, they moved to Missouri, creating the circumstances leading to the events of the film. Amy disappears after her husband becomes a violent, disinterested cheater, and when Nick invites the police into their shared home, they find poorly cleaned blood stains in the kitchen. Of course, that leads the police to believe she was murdered.

The second act is extremely favorable towards Nick, and engineered to make people have overwhelming sympathy for a spousal abuser and cheater. Judging by the reviews on the internet about the movie, people certainly fell into the pattern of doing so. After the reveal, Amy was portrayed as a character we'd be glad to see bad things happen to. Given that she was trying to get somebody put to death for a murder they didn't commit, is this right? These are the sorts of questions Gone Girl forces the audience to ponder.

Tyler Perry turns in an inspired performance as Tanner Bolt, a lawyer who defends husbands accused of killing their wives. Neil Patrick Harris is similarly good as a psycho ex-boyfriend named Desi Collings, and the obsession required of his role came off well on-screen. Carrie Coon plays Nick's twin sister Margo, and provided the voice of levity necessary on that side of the story to keep the audience from getting carried away. The supporting cast was very well chosen, and held the film together.

Ultimately, the movie's ending left me with more questions than answers. Although other scenes were unrealistic, large chunks of the movie were a good study in examining unstable relationships, and the breakdown in communication between partners. I don't necessarily feel that the film was misogynist, but I feel that the abuse and cheating was glossed over far more than it should have been. The "this bitch is crazy" aspect of the movie became too prevalent the longer it went on. Fincher is a very good director and this movie was no exception. Given that this was an adaptation, he had to remain faithful to the source material.

7.5/10

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »

Gravity, directed by Alfonso Cuarón

I wanted to catch this before it went off HBOGo, and it certainly did not disappoint. I'm not going to only watch critically acclaimed movies, but maybe I should. I had regretted not seeing this in theaters. I also have a habit of ignoring movie previews and didn't really understand the subject matter. No, I am not joking.

The special effects in this movie deserve far greater words than I am able to write. I was fooled into thinking that Bullock's scene where she was drifting out into endless space would go on for much longer than it actually did. Without spoiling anything in case anyone happens to click on this, I found the first of the two interludes between super intense scenes to be far better than the other. Given that the movie only features two living people you see, any potential monologue has to be really damn good. The one in this movie wasn't.

Tracking shots are one of my favorite things, and the one that opened this movie was so long and so good that I really wasn't expecting what happened. The presentation of the initial disaster was not quite something I was ready for. I actually rewound it and watched it a few times. Some of the scenes in the movie are quite obviously unrealistic, but I don't quite care. I enjoyed the intensity of it, although I don't believe I'd be able to watch it again and have the same feelings stir up. I did not have that feeling with Children of Men. It's hard to believe Cuarón released that 9 years ago. This is a hallmark of technical brilliance more than anything else.

8.5/10

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:33 AM »

Gone Girl, directed by David Fincher

I could have picked an easier one to start with, but this was the last movie I watched. Ben Affleck plays Nick Dunne, and Rosamund Pike plays Amy Dunne. Both lost their jobs during the recession and when Nick's mother became ill, they moved to Missouri, creating the circumstances leading to the events of the film. Amy disappears after her husband becomes a violent, disinterested cheater, and when Nick invites the police into their shared home, they find poorly cleaned blood stains in the kitchen. Of course, that leads the police to believe she was murdered.

The second act is extremely favorable towards Nick, and engineered to make people have overwhelming sympathy for a spousal abuser and cheater. Judging by the reviews on the internet about the movie, people certainly fell into the pattern of doing so. After the reveal, Amy was portrayed as a character we'd be glad to see bad things happen to. Given that she was trying to get somebody put to death for a murder they didn't commit, is this right? These are the sorts of questions Gone Girl forces the audience to ponder.

Tyler Perry turns in an inspired performance as Tanner Bolt, a lawyer who defends husbands accused of killing their wives. Neil Patrick Harris is similarly good as a psycho ex-boyfriend named Desi Collings, and the obsession required of his role came off well on-screen. Carrie Coon plays Nick's twin sister Margo, and provided the voice of levity necessary on that side of the story to keep the audience from getting carried away. The supporting cast was very well chosen, and held the film together.

Ultimately, the movie's ending left me with more questions than answers. Although other scenes were unrealistic, large chunks of the movie were a good study in examining unstable relationships, and the breakdown in communication between partners. I don't necessarily feel that the film was misogynist, but I feel that the abuse and cheating was glossed over far more than it should have been. The "this bitch is crazy" aspect of the movie became too prevalent the longer it went on. Fincher is a very good director and this movie was no exception. Given that this was an adaptation, he had to remain faithful to the source material.

7.5/10
I loved the movie. Fincher is one of my top 2 favorite directors around today (Guillermo del Toro is my other favorite). I really liked that it made the audience think. Thing is, yes, he cheats which we see, but is he abusive? We never see any proof of this outside of what Amy said in her diary, and that was proven that outside of the start of the diary, everything else was made up by her to put Nick into a darker light for proof he murdered her.

I really love that the book takes the idea of a man that might have murdered his wife and turned it on its ear by having Amy alive in the second half. I read the book, and that part was a great twist. Waiting for it to happen in the movie was even better because you could tell who didn't read the book by their reaction to the reveal.

I actually thought the ending of the movie worked better in the movie. In the book, the first 2/3 took its time to tell the story but the final 1/3 get rushed. That works better in a movie because you can skip time and not worry.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:43:16 AM »
I loved the movie. Fincher is one of my top 2 favorite directors around today (Guillermo del Toro is my other favorite). I really liked that it made the audience think. Thing is, yes, he cheats which we see, but is he abusive? We never see any proof of this outside of what Amy said in her diary, and that was proven that outside of the start of the diary, everything else was made up by her to put Nick into a darker light for proof he murdered her.

Nick also shoved Amy and she hit her head.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 07:01:53 AM »
An idea I have considered doing before is taking the IMDB Top 250 and randomizing it using a website like Random.org.  First movie that comes up that I haven't seen, I will watch.

Offline Aero

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »

I saw the movie once, several months ago, so I might be wrong, but isn't that scene ultimately assumed to be made-up/exaggerated as a fake diary entry? If I'm remembering correctly, the flashback is shown prior to the reveal that Amy is still alive, so it's taken as fact. But when you realize Amy is a lying psycho, I figured certain flashbacks based on diary entries (besides the obvious lies) may have been assumed to be fake. That was my initial take, anyway. I might be way off.

Definitely want to re-watch this sometime soon, especially now knowing the reveals. Really enjoyed it the first time.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm already queasy with
Spoiler: show
throat slashing
scenes, but the scene with
NPH getting murdered
ranks up there as fucked up for me.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »

I saw the movie once, several months ago, so I might be wrong, but isn't that scene ultimately assumed to be made-up/exaggerated as a fake diary entry? If I'm remembering correctly, the flashback is shown prior to the reveal that Amy is still alive, so it's taken as fact. But when you realize Amy is a lying psycho, I figured certain flashbacks based on diary entries (besides the obvious lies) may have been assumed to be fake. That was my initial take, anyway. I might be way off.

Definitely want to re-watch this sometime soon, especially now knowing the reveals. Really enjoyed it the first time.

Yeah, that was the point I was making, and that scene was the one I was talking about. It's bad enough that he cheated, but that's the only thing we are 100% sure he ever did to her. Everything else that's mentioned that he did bad was in her diary, which 80-90% was made up. She mentions in a voice-over later on that the start of the diary was true, that the relationship started out great, but when she found out about the cheating and put her plan into place, that she had to make it more juicy to show him as an evil, lying, abusive bastard that would murder his wife.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
I don't even wanna post the poster to this shit so

*HARRY POTTER PICTURE HERE*

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, directed by Mike Newell

I was with my cousins, came across this on television, and they wanted to watch it. So we did. I had never seen this before, and felt that after the first three, I could go my whole life without seeing the rest. Perhaps I was wrong. I still do think the third is the best one of these that I've watched.

Despite the nearly three hour run-time, I enjoyed watching this because of the ensemble cast. Any movie where Brendan Gleeson gets this kind of screen time is certain to bring something good to the table. Some of the things in these movies can't be easy to film; particularly with the makeup involved, and he would appear to have gotten the worst of it. I thought he stole the show in any case. The obvious problem with a film like this is that the characters who need time in the movie never get enough of it. In a series such as this, some characters tend to fade in and out, but I still think it's a problem. I also believe that Michael Gambon's take on Dumbledore is better than that of Richard Harris.

Another problem was the way that the movie cut past scenes that seemed like they would be important. I recall at the quidditch match at the beginning of the movie, they introduced the teams, then jumped straight to the match being over with no information on who won. As an adaptation, I do understand that it is required to condense things. Still, the movie would have been better if all of the cuts kept the viewer in touch with the happenings. The scene at the ball, with Harry and Ron sitting there, brought back some interesting memories of my freshman year of high school that I hadn't thought about in some time. I'll probably watch the others at some point, but definitely not right one after the other or anything like that. I've never read the books nor do I care to. Perhaps it is easier for the directors to make these movies given that nearly everyone else has.

7/10

Offline Jingus

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
The Potter films do lean pretty hard on the assumption that everyone's read the books.  So many vitally important subplots and supporting characters end up as blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos, if they're not chopped out entirely.  And except for the third movie, they do all sorta blend together to me.  If you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all (though of course the tone darkens considerably as the series goes on).  And just FYI: the books are way better than the movies. 

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »

The Bourne Identity, directed by Doug Liman

This is a great example of a movie franchise where I have my head in the clouds and haven't seen any of the movies. I came across this on Netflix and decided to check it out, even though all of the movies aren't there.

This movie does not mess with names, bar those of Jason Bourne (Matt Damon), Marie (Franka Potente), and Wombosi (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, otherwise known as Mr. Eko). It very much feels like a movie shot pre-9/11, without dastardly Arab characters, without the spy network in place to know where everyone in the Western world is. Despite the plot being thin, it is extremely straight forward, and there's really not a whole lot to wonder about other than the obvious, which is what happened to Bourne's memory. It also does not go overboard, outside of Bourne using someone's body to eschew countless flights of stairs and fly down them instead. It was an enjoyable movie regardless of that. I did not realize that Clive Owen was in this movie as the sniper until I looked it up on IMDB. In some movies that would be quite the problem, but in this one it's more of a surprise. The less excess parts, the better. Chris Cooper was quite good in the role of the CIA agent, one of the few parts given any screen time. I was very surprised when he ate it.

There were few wonders of cinematography, which isn't a big deal, but rather something to point out. The car chase is an exception to that, done with a really shitty hatchback. The ending with Marie and Bourne reuniting was cliched, sappy, stupid, and totally unnecessary.  Even though I've already mentioned it, the scene where Bourne flies down flights of stairs, using somebody's body as a magic carpet bothers me immensely. He lands on top of the guy and walks away...no. That's all I can say. I know there are three other movies, two of those being with Matt Damon, and to some extent I am struggling to see how those could be done and make sense at the same time. I'm sure they made sense to Hollywood in any case. I am also not familiar with the source material that pertains to this. I did like the movie, but it was flawed. Good for what it was. I haven't seen the others, so no spoilers please.

7/10

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
I haven't updated this thread in 15 months, which means I haven't watched a movie in 15 MONTHS.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

That movie was really satisfying and a lot better than I was expecting or hoped for. Far better than the prequels. I did think it was goofy that once again there was the issue of a megaweapon, but it's Star Wars so you expect that. I don't pay attention to pre-movie hype and I'm very good at avoiding spoilers, so there were things in the movie that I didn't expect. Finn was a very good character with a lot of layers, which isn't something I'd have expected from this series. Obviously with so many actors I was previously unfamiliar with, I'm looking forward to seeing where their careers go after this. More interested in seeing where the series goes, though. Lots of ways for things to go.

As for negatives, I really didn't care for seeing TV actors from shows I've watched as an adult in this movie. That's not out of dislike for them, it's just too weird. I imagine our parents used to say the same thing about event movies like this one. Or they didn't and that's okay. I also thought the third act of the movie flew by too quickly. Could have done with slowing down. The cinematography was different and very un-Star Wars like, but I didn't have a problem with that. I am also hoping that these movies don't get in the habit of having far too much fan service rather than telling a story that stands on its own.

8/10

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I didn't expect to find this better than Man of Steel, but that's where I am right now. The movie had a shitload of plotholes. There were a lot of things wrong with it. Jesse Eisenberg had one of the worst performances I've seen in a while. Because of that in particular, I'll never watch this movie again. Yet, after watching it, I found some of the more controversial things in it to be just fine. For example, I don't really give a shit about Batman killing people. It made sense in the context of the story, that he'd been doing this for 20 years and gave less of a shit. The idea that he'd blame Superman for what happened in Metropolis is really stupid though. The idea that Batman wouldn't know that Clark Kent's mother was named Martha is also extremely stupid. I just didn't get how that revelation would be any surprise or affect him in any way.

There's a lot to say about this movie and it's hard to cover everything. I guess I'll go one by one.

Glad they didn't cover the Batman origin very much. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing it again. It's the sole thing that keeps me from watching Batman Begins again. Jeremy Irons gave a very good performance as Alfred. Problem is it's hard to see somebody that cool as being Alfred. Affleck made a good Batman. Would like to see more with somebody other than Snyder directing the project. Wonder Woman was the best part of the movie. I guess the thing I disliked the most was that they turned Batman into a moron. The ending was a copout as well. Too much going on here and too many unanswered questions. However, I suppose other than the car chase when guys were inexplicably shooting while their car was flipping over, I thought the action scenes were good.

5/10

• KOAB
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
Misunderstood Masterpiece

9/10

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
Yo review Sicario and Green Room

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:58 AM »
review the karate kid.

• Admin
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 06:04:06 AM »
I want to fulfill these three requests this week but I can't find Green Room on TV anywhere.

It is on Amazon though so I can just borrow my brother's password.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
I want to fulfill these three requests this week but I can't find Green Room on TV anywhere.

It is on Amazon though so I can just borrow my brother's password.

I think Sicario is also on Amazon so you can knock out 2 movies right there.

• KOAB
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
review The Nice Guys

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
watch

Dr Strangelove
Seven Samurai
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
North By Northwest
The Battle of Algiers
The Sting
Princess Bride
Life of Brian

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
On the female side (assuming you've never seen this) Breakfast at Tiffany's is a must watch.

• Admin
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

Sicario

They're filming a sequel to this, which I didn't realize when I turned this on. After watching the movie, I can definitely see why. I enjoy when movies leave me with questions and this is certainly one of them. The score set the tone for the film and I thought it was spectacular. It's not surprising to find out that the composer won a Golden Globe for The Theory of Everything, which I probably won't see as I don't care for the subject matter.

Movies like these make me wonder why I don't watch more movies. Drugs, guns, the Southwest...those are drawing cards for me, particularly in tandem. Josh Brolin didn't play a character all that similar to Llewelyn Moss, but I couldn't stop thinking about that until the plane ride to El Paso. The twist after the tunnel crawl didn't surprise me very much and that probably should have made me enjoy the film less, but it was pretty well disguised. Without deep knowledge of the subject matter, it would have been difficult to tell. Very intense movie, the kind which the faint hearted probably do not care for. Loved the way Benicio Del Toro's character lurked around the periphery until it was time for the final operation. The first operation and subsequent scene on the bridge was classic. I can see why people would criticize Emily Blunt's character for seeming weak, but it was only weak in comparison to the savages and sociopaths that inhabit that world. The portrayals were very realistic in that regard.

I don't particularly have a favorite part as to say I had a favorite part in a movie like this would make me sound like a sick fuck.

9/10

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »

Green Room

Green Room is a thriller about a punk band who winds up being unwittingly roped into doing a gig at a neo-Nazi club on their way to Washington DC. During their set, somebody gets stabbed, after which one of the members walks back to the green room and sees it. I try to watch movies without finding out whether or not they're good, and in the case of one like this, it's easy to do so. It was fairly low budget, low publicity, and I'd never heard of it until BZ suggested that I check it out. I agree with critics who say this was a good movie, but I don't think this was a great one.

Imogen Poots and Patrick Stewart seemed to have the most complex and interesting characters. Poots played a skinhead named Amber, who didn't exactly take kindly to finding out her friend had been killed. Stewart in the role of a neo-nazi leader was different than how I'm used to seeing him. I suppose my problem with the movie is that neither of those two were in the band itself. For a supposed horror movie, it was pretty light on gore, which is just fine with me. All effects appeared to be more practical. The culmination of the movie was nothing great, and to wrap this up before posting any spoilers, it fell flat and seemed to be drawn out too long. That being said, having a movie go under 90 minutes isn't something I've seen very often.

7/10

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »
I can't find Karate Kid streaming anywhere, and I prefer to watch movies on my TV or tablet so it has to be legal streaming. I'll have to skip past that. I'm gonna watch some capeshit too. There's some other stuff posted here that I will eventually watch if I can find it but I may need more ideas.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 01:09:19 AM »
Agreed about Green Room dragging the last 20 minutes or so. But the overall atmosphere of the movie is one I really dig.

Knew you'd love Sicario. My fav scene in the movie is prob:

benicio rapes that dudes face

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:58 AM »
I'm surprised you found it light on gore. It's not as excessive as Dead Alive or the Saw sequels, but

The belly slice, head explosion, and especially the main kid's mangled arm.

were some of the most violent scenes I've seen in a while.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 03:09:02 AM »
I can't find Karate Kid streaming anywhere, and I prefer to watch movies on my TV or tablet so it has to be legal streaming. I'll have to skip past that.

Hulu has 1-3

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
I'm surprised you found it light on gore. It's not as excessive as Dead Alive or the Saw sequels, but

It's probably because I watched some Vice videos during the Mali conflict where I accidentally saw a lot worse. That stuff doesn't really do anything to me anymore, but the arm was p. bad.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 05:11:01 AM »

It's probably because I watched some Vice videos during the Mali conflict where I accidentally saw a lot worse. That stuff doesn't really do anything to me anymore, but the arm was p. bad.

well yeah, any movie violence can't compare to irl so I see where you are coming from.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
Like 909, I've also seen real gore (always on accident  :-\), but some of the scenes in Green Room made me question if I wanted to continue watching.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
Agreed with your review that the last 20-30 minutes were somewhat draggy and the ending was alright. I felt like the concept was solid and worked initially but the writing kind of lost steam once certain scenes set things forward in motion. I did really enjoy Patrick Stewart but he almost never has a bad performance.

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »

The Avengers

I finally checked this out, and there's not a whole lot to say about it that hasn't already been said. I was very surprised that anyone could pull a movie like this off so well. The screen time was fairly evenly spread out, with the exception of Hawkeye who was obviously on the screen less than others. His character wasn't very fleshed out and that's one of the few flaws of the movie. I don't know if that was rectified in future movies, and I don't really want to be spoiled so don't tell me. Black Widow on the other hand needed time on camera and got it. Regardless of how much screen time was given, dialogue was far less than that. That being said, a movie with so many parts coming off without anyone being left out was great. Of course, there's lots of fan service moments as well, which was great. The Cap-Tony dynamic carried over pretty well from book to film.

As I already said, I don't know what happens in the rest of the movies, but I intend to watch them pretty soon. I don't see how anyone can live up to Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki and keep my interest as a villain, then again I don't know if he's in any of the other movies besides Thor 2. I assume so. Regardless of that, this movie was anything people could have hoped for. A small negative is that without any comic book knowledge, nobody could have understood the intentions of the Chitauri. I also thought it was goofy the way Hulk didn't turn on anyone else in the team during the big fight at the end. Of course there's an explanation for that, but it is goofy. The movie was also quite long in developing, which was necessary but can make it a bit much to tackle.

7.5/10

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
STOP REVIEWING CAPESHIT AND START REVIEWING MOVIES ABOUT REAL AMERICAN FIGHTING HEROES LIKE ROCKY AND THE KARATE KIDS THATS LIKE 11 MOVIES RIGHT THERE

• KOAB
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
what A-Rod said

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Captain America punched out Hitler dawg. He's got the American icon cred.

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
STOP REVIEWING CAPESHIT AND START REVIEWING MOVIES ABOUT REAL AMERICAN FIGHTING HEROES LIKE ROCKY AND THE KARATE KIDS THATS LIKE 11 MOVIES RIGHT THERE

I'll watch Rocky this week, but I just watched a real American movie, and I'll be posting a review shortly.

• Admin
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Any movie that opens with a GSP cameo sounds great to me, and the film as a whole certainly lived up to that. Surprisingly, I liked this the best of the Marvel movies. Wasn't quite expecting for that to be the case. Robert Redford played a great villain, and one of the only real negatives in the movie was that he'd obviously be such right from the start. I don't watch previews or anything like that, so it was just a guess. The Falcon's flying scenes stole the show. The Bucky Barnes reveal was great, and I'm glad they didn't go too far overboard with flashbacks. The reveal that Nick Fury was still alive was good too, but to be fair anyone could have seen that coming. If my handicapped cousin could figure it out, so should everyone else.

Of course, as anyone who's seen this movie would know, the movie is quite low on dialogue and high on action. Some prefer that and some don't. I think I am slightly in the minority that don't. After watching this, I'm very confused as to why they haven't made a Black Widow movie. The character is in need of a little fleshing out, but now that Ghost in the Shell flopped, I can't see Marvel putting a green light on that one. The movie also nearly went overboard in terms of doing too much and introducing too many characters. Arnim Zola probably was not the best introduction, but at least it was short and they immediately killed the character off.

I have to go back and watch Thor 2 because I never paid attention to it, but that's all the capeshit I'll be watching for the next two weeks.

8/10

Offline Gary

• Corrosive Hallucinations
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Winter Soldier is still the best of the Marvel Extended Universe movies IMO. There are others that are enjoyable, but I feel like this is the one that will best stand the test of time.

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2017, 11:01:14 PM »
Have you seen Captain America: The First Avenger, 909?  One thing you said puzzles me.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 06:33:42 AM »
909, do The Nice Guys

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »
Bebe's Kids
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Admin
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »
Have you seen Captain America: The First Avenger, 909?  One thing you said puzzles me.

Yes. I completely forgot Zola was in it.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »

• Admin
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »

The Nice Guys

I genuinely do not know where to start with this. Between the gratuitous nudity, 1970's setting, buddy cop story, and Ryan Gosling's shtick, there was a lot here to carry the two hours. The movie started off very slowly and I'm sure a lot of people don't give it their time as a result of that. I was surprised during the party scene by how much time was remaining in the movie. To me, it felt like it flew by pretty fast. I certainly wasn't expecting there to be a child involved in the story, but the chemistry between Russell Crowe, the aforementioned Gosling, and Angourie Rice pulled that off pretty well. The plot wasn't spectacular by any stretch. A guy who beats people up and a private investigator teaming up to find a woman who made a porno where the plot is more important than sex is a strange plot that doesn't sound particularly great on paper. The villains in the movie were by no means spectacular. Yet, the movie is immensely watchable as a result of the chemistry between the leads. I couldn't stop laughing at Gosling's drunk behavior. It was very well acted.

With anyone other than Gosling and Crowe in these roles, it's likely the entire thing falls apart. Kim Basinger's role as the big bad was neither memorable nor noteworthy. Matt Bomer's hitman who couldn't shoot someone unless they were four feet away was somewhat amusing and not in a good way. None of these things are to say I didn't like the movie, because I did. It's just clear where the focus of the script and budget went. The trope of a Shane Black movie ending at Christmastime made me laugh extremely hard. This is way past a joke at this point. One thing I do somewhat regret about movies like these is that they never seem to do big business, which is going to lead to the eventual end of them. People would rather watch some CGI shit break through fake buildings for the 5th or 6th time rather than watch a movie with a setting like this, and that's a shame. Movies like Transformers 4 where people go see the movie repeatedly even though it's a pile of trash, to the tune of it doing over $1 billion are a good example of that.

7.5/10

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »
Regarding the point about big business, I think movies like this will still be made. It will be either because of vanity projects, or feature really good actors who haven't made it yet and therefore don't inflate the budget. There are lots of idiosyncratic indie movies that fail to be good for whatever reason, but some are.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »
They were gonna do a sequel but didn't make as much as they needed it to. Well, they still might but it's doubtful.

Should be 9.5/10!

• Admin
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:09 AM »
They were gonna do a sequel but didn't make as much as they needed it to. Well, they still might but it's doubtful.

Should be 9.5/10!

It would have been better if the villains had done anything of value. Blue face guy was funny though.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
That was like the best Hollywood movie of last year