Author Topic: Making a: Pizza  (Read 2092 times)

Description:

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Making a: Pizza
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
Right where do I start on learning how to make a Pizza from the beginning to the end. There seems to be a lot of really good food critics on the board, and fair share of them seem to appreciate the art of cooking their own food from the beginning, so I thought I asked. Tips for the Curry were really helpful, so I came back for more too! :D

I've got doughmix and a whole lot of meat and veg, its the first one I'll have ever made so go easy on me, please!

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »
It begins and ends with the crust.

Try a thin crust first. Just pour on sauce, mozz, toppings, and bake it 'til it's done. No real secret.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »
Use the hottest oven you can possibly get. The key is in how well you can form/toss the dough/crust. Don't oversauce it, or even try doing different sort of bases like pesto, garlic/olive oil, things like that. Also, brush olive oil all around the crust at the beginning so it gets a good flavor.

Honestly, it's a lot of trial and error, especially doing it from scratch. It'd be hard to teach you how to exactly toss/form the crust without video or being in person, so try youtubing around for it.

Pizza's actually one of my favorite foods and you can take a long, long time trying to figure out how to make it and still not be able to pump out a good pie. This is why good pizza shops make so much money- it's hard to get to. You're dealing with not only the unpredictability associated with the art of baking, but also with the science behind it.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
Cheers,

I'll be buying some stuff today to give it a go over the weekend. If I'm brave enough I'll take a photo of the end product for you to mock haha

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
This is probably a silly question, but how does one make pizza crust from scratch? Anyone got a good recipe?
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
*is tempted to say a famous catchphrase*

Matt Young

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »
FUCK YOU; BUY ME A SLICE.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »
When I lack kitchen ambition, the Pizazz (or whatever) deal works fine.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:09:28 PM »
This is probably a silly question, but how does one make pizza crust from scratch? Anyone got a good recipe?

Regular crust or a Chezza crust?

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
Shit, I used to make bomb ass vegetable pizzas while stoned... it's about the only pizza I like making. They always came out looking good too... I should of photo-rize the shit next time I do it.

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »

I've been meaning to ask VX if he has any gourmet pizza dough recipes that he would like to share. The one I traditionally use leaves the crust a little too floury for my liking.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
I don't need a good, gourmet one or anything, just one that works. I figure if I know basically how to make it, I can tinker with it until it suits me taste.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:36:19 AM »
Didn't make my Pizza last weekend and this weekend will be too busy (but we're going to make cookies instead), but I'll be giving it a go soon enough and I'll have photos for you guys to laugh at. Pretty sure its going to go wrong haha

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »

I've been meaning to ask VX if he has any gourmet pizza dough recipes that he would like to share. The one I traditionally use leaves the crust a little too floury for my liking.
Honestly, pizza and just baking stuff is just so complicated and over my head that I'm usually lost with this kind of stuff. Baking is a science whereas cooking is more of an art, so you can be a lot more experimental and free-form with the latter rather than the former. However, pizza dough is pretty standard everywhere you go, 4:1 ratio (roughly) of warm water to flour, packet of active dry yeast, and a bit of sugar. Mix together and then add in olive oil and salt. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 01:34:24 AM »
It's all about texture, which is all about kneading.

I don't make pizza often, but when I do, I always make enough dough to do a thin crust on a pan (I find those stones to be a big whatever. Your nearest awesome pizza place doesn't use that shit) and a deep dish in my trusty iron skillet. One is invariably better than the other.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
I second the VX dough initative. I love making my own pizza, but can't get the crust right, so I'll resort to store-bought kits, which aren't any good.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
Okay so the other day when mellow asked for a pizza dough recipe, I couldn't find the page I was looking for so I came up with something that I thought was fairly standard/okay. But to anyone who's serious about trying to make pizza (I am), check this out:

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

This guy is insane about reproducing an amazing pizza. I can't hack my oven without blowing something up I'm sure, but every other tip is spot on, especially his (very simple) recipe for pizza dough.