Author Topic: Spice Girls: Thoughts?  (Read 3302 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Spice Girls: Thoughts?
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »
Re-listened to Wannabe and was surprised at how enjoyable it was. That first album is pretty solid even if the girls vary in their actual singing ability (and that's being generous) and most of the songs rely on the production, same going for their 2nd album.

I will say that Mel C (Sporty Spice) could really belt it though.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
Re: Spice Girls: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
I love bad '90s dance music and even I can't come up with a thought on the Spice Girls. They existed, then they didn't. Who cares.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »
For what they were, in that time period, it worked. I'll still bust out a "I'll tell ya what I want..." for humor purposes. And "Two Become One" still sticks with me as a good song overall.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
I unapologetically enjoy "Say You'll Be There" even if deep down I know it's pretty bad. 
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 5 HAS BEGUN!

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
They weren't very good, but they probably weren't as bad as people remember. About half their first album was tolerable. My guilty pleasure Spice Girls song was the one where they jacked the beat from "The Humpty Dance."

And yeah, Sporty had some pipes; I was legit shocked to find out that she isn't gay, though.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
I am listening to "Wannabe" now. This was the audio wallpaper of riding the bus in 5th grade. There's nothing interesting about the production like there was with a lot of similar music of the time. Like I said before, it just is.

This is more my thing:

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
80% of their appeal was the individuality among the members and the group's fashion sense. They struck at the right time and made a killing off it. I respect what they did even though I don't personally care for many of their hits.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:36 AM »
One of my high school friends who went on to become one of my college roommates would blast their first album every fucking morning while getting read for class/work. A process that usually look him the length of the CD and then some.

I hate the Spice Girls.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:47:50 AM »
Wrote up an article covering their history for CXF. Didn't even realize it's been 20 years nearly to the month of their release of "Wannabe" either. Still amazes me that they are the only UK act since The Beatles (tying them) to have 3 separate #1 singles released for the Christmas season.

You could probably compile a decent Greatest Hits comp of their work although for me it'd probably max out around 8-10 tracks maybe.

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
One of my high school friends who went on to become one of my college roommates would blast their first album every fucking morning while getting read for class/work. A process that usually look him the length of the CD and then some.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »
Spice Girls are an answer to a 90s trivia question.

Their impact on music is trivial outside of a couple signals.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
best band ever

still haven't seen Spice World.  One of life's bigger regrets...

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »

And yeah, Sporty had some pipes; I was legit shocked to find out that she isn't gay, though.

such a Teals

I don't keep track on it, but what's the ratio in the WNBA?  It's leaning against us, right?

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »
us?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
best band ever

still haven't seen Spice World.  One of life's bigger regrets...

Next best thing for ya :)

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »

such a Teals

I don't keep track on it, but what's the ratio in the WNBA?  It's leaning against us, right?

I'm surprised whenever I find out a WNBA player isn't gay. When Tamika Catchings announced that she was retiring at the end of this coming season, there were several articles posted about how she was engaged, and when I read that she was engaged to a dude, I was like, "WHAAAAAT~?!" If I had to put a number on it, I wouldn't guess that there is a single team in the entire league with three hetero women on it.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
The real question is: why does it matter to you if they are gay or not?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »
Why does it matter to me if who is gay or not?

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »
I actually found a joke I made on my comedy page last year: Why weren't the Spice Girls on the Spice Channel?

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 03:13:50 AM »
I actually found a joke I made on my comedy page last year: Why weren't the Spice Girls on the Spice Channel?

I have the following problems with this sentence:

1) That's not a funny joke.
2) You're citing your "comedy page" as the source of this unfunny joke, presuming that people are familiar with it. Why not just retell the joke on its own? What are people going to do, call you out for stealing your own bit?
3) "Actually" has no reason to be here, none. What does it do here? It's a completely empty intensifier -- not to be confused with another completely empty Intensifier who posted here, quoted Jewel lyrics, and tried to kill himself by driving his car off the road with no regard for the safety of other motorists. It's preemptively answering questions no one would have asked: "did you pull this stupid fucking joke out of your ass just now?" "No, I actually found it on my comedy page." "Hey, is your comedy page so bereft of material that you could never hope to find a joke you made?" "Actually, I did find one!"
4) Again, that's really not funny at all. I'm sure JHawk liked it, though.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:22 AM »
An interesting and fascinating comparison as to how an initial "mix" can make or break a track...

1: The finished, mastered official mix by Spike Stentz (sent the song to him to mix by the Spice Girls after hearing Way's attempt)
2: The original mix done by Dave Way who mixed several of the other tracks on their debut album

Immediate thoughts
- Spike's track emphasizes the groove of the synth in terms of the bass underneath the vocals. It's also a bit more dance focused and the vocals are a bit more up in the mix (especially on the chorus) and less airy/breathy. Also seems like more has been done e.g. the clack of the toms and a bit more of the mids have been focused on or pushed towards the front. It's also tightened up and compressed so there isn't the amount of 'dead' space that is seen in Dave's mix.
- Dave Way's track goes more urban R&B style emphasizing a booming bass drum that (frankly) overpowers the rest of the track in a bad way. The vocals here are buried a little and have a lot of highs on them for that air/breathy quality of "pop" music at the time. It's such a clash of styles here as the vocals & some of the underneath instrumentation scream out: POP but the thumping bass drum is near militaristic.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »

I have the following problems with this sentence:

1) That's not a funny joke.
2) You're citing your "comedy page" as the source of this unfunny joke, presuming that people are familiar with it. Why not just retell the joke on its own? What are people going to do, call you out for stealing your own bit?
3) "Actually" has no reason to be here, none. What does it do here? It's a completely empty intensifier -- not to be confused with another completely empty Intensifier who posted here, quoted Jewel lyrics, and tried to kill himself by driving his car off the road with no regard for the safety of other motorists. It's preemptively answering questions no one would have asked: "did you pull this stupid fucking joke out of your ass just now?" "No, I actually found it on my comedy page." "Hey, is your comedy page so bereft of material that you could never hope to find a joke you made?" "Actually, I did find one!"
4) Again, that's really not funny at all. I'm sure JHawk liked it, though.
That's a "damn I don't like that guy and I finally have the opportunity to unleash the fury" kinda post.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Apparently Czech's new gimmick is to follow HQ around and shit up his threads. You should confront him about it on his cable access show.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
Your tired ass gimmick seems to as grating as ever!

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 10:33:45 PM »
I'm not offended in the least. It's the internet. *shrug*

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
Spice girls didn't age well compared to most 90s pop to me

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 12:06:32 AM »
Spice girls didn't age well compared to most 90s pop to me

To get this thread back on topic, I agree. I could bring myself to go with about 8 songs that would go on a comp album and most are their obvious hit singles although I'll argue that "Love Thing" should have been the 3rd single off "Spice" instead of "2 Become 1"

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 05:43:46 AM »
A reunion tour was just announced. Tell me how it is, HQ.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
Amazed at that news more so because Victoria is actually doing it in comparison to not for a long, long time.

With that said, I'm not getting tickets, sorry, Epic.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 09:07:53 AM »
I wonder if they will commit to the dates unlike last time where they just quit.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »
Yeah, I'll believe it when I'm standing there singing along to "Who Do You Think You Are" because these heffers play too much.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
Well my inside sources aka google told me its a possible second greatest hits album and a tv documentry.. not a tour as yet.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:01 AM »
A lady friend of mine went to their reunion show here in NY 10 years ago and she said she didn't like it but I'm not sure if that was due to the quality of the show or if her seats were bad.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
Well my inside sources aka google told me its a possible second greatest hits album and a tv documentry.. not a tour as yet.

SECOND greatest hits? But they haven't done anything new since the first one!!!

A lady friend of mine went to their reunion show here in NY 10 years ago and she said she didn't like it but I'm not sure if that was due to the quality of the show or if her seats were bad.

I also saw them in NYC on the reunion and loved it. My seats were ok. They did all the hits and even a few solo songs, it was great. Better than when I saw them back in the day because it was after Ginger left and the chemistry was off.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
Probably change up a few of the songs and release.

So they have announced a UK and US tour - there will not be any new content just their existing hits.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
It's crazy because as the original 5 piece group they released two albums of 10 songs each. So they're still riding on 20 fucking songs. I mean, they did do that one without Geri but be serious, no one wants to hear those cringey, dated Darkchild songs. "Goodbye" is the only classic from that one but I will allow "Holler" and MAYBE "Let Love Lead The Way" in a pinch. Then they also did do one original song on the Greatest Hits but holy shit is it BAAAD. But they have to play it live because, again, they have so little original content they have to play EVERYTHING that ever played on radio even once in Malta.

Yet here I am, setting up a google news alert so I can know how far I will be traveling to see Victoria just literally stand there.

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
Only from reading Wikipedia today did I learn that they recorded that third Ginger-less album. Maybe I was aware of that fact at some point but if so I forgot about it.

They were in their mid 20s here, why do they look 35

FAKE EDIT: This "Holler" song is bad

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »

I also saw them in NYC on the reunion and loved it. My seats were ok. They did all the hits and even a few solo songs, it was great. Better than when I saw them back in the day because it was after Ginger left and the chemistry was off.

Did they do Geri's "Look At Me"? That was the only solo hit from any of them so they must have sang it, right? RIGHT?

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
Only from reading Wikipedia today did I learn that they recorded that third Ginger-less album. Maybe I was aware of that fact at some point but if so I forgot about it.

They were in their mid 20s here, why do they look 35

FAKE EDIT: This "Holler" song is bad

I was like "DON'T SEEK ANY OF THESE SONGS OUT!!!" but you didn't let me save you :( They all sound like a Destiny's Child ripoff's b-side.

Did they do Geri's "Look At Me"? That was the only solo hit from any of them so they must have sang it, right? RIGHT?

Nope! She did "It's Raining Men" which is her biggest hit...in Britain. Don't think it was even released as a single here but they were too lazy to change things up from country to country. Mel B had a cool song with Missy Elliott but instead she just did a cover of "Are You Gonna Go My Way" which was annoying. Victoria, and I wish I was kidding, did a catwalk to Rupaul's Supermodel (didn't sing along just that song played) for her solo portion.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:25 AM »
http://m.eonline.com/news/913080/victoria-beckham-on-the-spice-girls-reunion-i-will-not-be-going-on-tour

Victoria is now denying a reunion. Whatever Posh, you don't have to come!

PS I am way too invested in this.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:22 AM »
I knew it wasn't gonna happen. Every other year since the first reunion tour these rumors start. There was even the "3 of them have recorded a bunch of songs for an album" rumor.

I do think a tour will happen one day but not any time soon.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »
My friend's band is playing with a Spice Girls, "tribute band" tomorrow night. I've checked out their stuff and it's pretty spot on with how I remember the original act.

In the same venue, in another hall, Puddle of Mud is playing.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
I'll be honest, the only song I remember is Wannabe. I'd honestly say it just got lucky. It was originally created by Matt Rowe and Richard Stannard, was then attempted at a remix by Dave Way, before being sent to Mark Stent to be remixed yet again. So this song isn't even actually the original Wannabe song. Yes, I realize that this likely might be a thing with songs, but still needs to be said.

And before you proclaim I'm a fanboy, I wanted to get the name of the songwriter, thinking someone struck it big, but nope says Wiki. So just got remixed and was lucky it worked out.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
I'll be honest, the only song I remember is Wannabe. I'd honestly say it just got lucky. It was originally created by Matt Rowe and Richard Stannard, was then attempted at a remix by Dave Way, before being sent to Mark Stent to be remixed yet again. So this song isn't even actually the original Wannabe song. Yes, I realize that this likely might be a thing with songs, but still needs to be said.

And before you proclaim I'm a fanboy, I wanted to get the name of the songwriter, thinking someone struck it big, but nope says Wiki. So just got remixed and was lucky it worked out.

Well, the band requested the remix themselves and it's pretty obvious why (their sound did not fit that urban bass n' drum style of the early 1990s) as they were pure bubblegum pop. Also most of those bands have other people co-writing their songs, even mega artists like Shania Twain have employed writers. Very common tactic, especially for a dance group that doesn't play instruments. Even Michael Jackson did this: "Songwriters included Jackson, Heatwave's Rod Temperton, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney." (That was for his 1979 album Off the Wall and Temperton wrote his song Thriller for the album of the same name).

I don't know if I'd call them lucky either. If you listen to "Wannabe" proper, that chorus hook alone would've made it a smash hit. It screams pop single immediately right from the first notes and never lets up plus it coupled with an entertaining music video at a time when they still mattered a good deal (that window was up until 2004/2005 IMO).

The band hated Way's remix and it's not an uncommon tactic to have multiple remixers try out a song if it isn't working. Hell, Nirvana had Scott Litt remix "Heart-Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" to make them more commercial/poppier sounding and both really worked.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
Wannabe isn't even one of my top 10 favorite Spice Girls songs. It sounds so disjointed and I guess the whole "remixed several times" things contributes to that. Say You'll Be There is actually clearly their "best" song. If I was making a 90s pop mixtape that would be the Spice Girls representation and would get every girl (and the secure guys) in the room dancing and singing. It's not my personal favorite but it's just of such a high quality, while most of their songs are not. I just wish they hadn't cut the rap out because it makes the song even more fun. For some reason, a popular trope of the 90s was cutting any rap out of a radio edit, see: any TLC song, Mariah Carey's super great "Fantasy" remix featuring peak-era ODB.

My Spice Girls top ten (limiting this to album releases because I actually have a big soft spot for those shitty b-sides that were clearly thrown together in an afternoon to drive singles sales up):

1 - 2 Become 1 (bonus points for making my parents see me sing about applying condoms at age 13)
2 - Spice Up Your Life (the feeling I had in my 14-year-old heart the first time I heard that drumroll at the beginning is akin to what little girls feel when they see One Direction or whatever is hip nowadays. My cold cynical heart can never feel that again :'( )
3 - Viva Forever (saw them live...this song fucking killed me. "Spice Girls forever"...brb gotta go cry)
4 - Say You'll Be There (see above)
5 - Too Much (again, the feeling of hearing this song over the opening credits of Spice World for the first time AT A DRIVE-IN THEATER...just pure happiness)
6 - Who Do You Think You Are (the Comic Relief French & Saunders video alone bumps it up a few spots)
7 - Move Over (um, Pepsi...hell fucking yeah! You were NO ONE in my circle of friends till you could do the whole "recreation imagination CRAZY NATION" rap)
8 - If U Can't Dance (it fucking samples Humpty Dance)
9 - Goodbye (the only good non-Geri song)
10 - Stop (I still naturally go into the full dance for this song any time I listen to it)

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 03:43:53 AM »
If I had to objectively choose the "best" Spice Girls song, I'd go with either "Wannabe" or "Spice Up Your Life". Non-offensive bubblegum pop for pre-teens.

"Goodbye" sounds too much like "2 Become 1" to me.

Anyone remember the Spice Girls video game for PS1? It was a dancing game akin to Bust a Groove or DDR. Never owned it but I do remember playing it at a friend's house because his sister owned it. I sucked at it.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »
I owned that ps1 game. It didn't work with the DDR mat for some reason which really pissed me off. It wasn't so much a DDR style dancing game. You "remixed" the songs and then "directed" the music videos which you also "choreographed." You could do everything there was to do in that game in a single afternoon.

I had so much Spice Girls merchandise, it was obscene. There was a booth at the shittiest flea market in town that had a lot of British import merch so I would go buckwild every weekend there. My prized possessions were the complete set of every set of dolls and the polaroid (!) camera.

If I named everything I owned it would be like this:

https://youtu.be/fgRFQJCHcPw?t=1m5s
"Spice Girls, the flamethrower!"

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
http://www.nme.com/news/music/spice-girls-considering-possibilities-reunion-2249270

We have a turn of events!

Also, I noticed a lot of Spice Girls cover band shows popping up all over the city lately. COINCIDENCE?

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/02/27/mel-b-says-shes-going-royal-wedding-hints-spice-girls-may-perform/378343002/

Now this is the sort of rumor I believe. They have sort of taken on the "official band of Great Britain" moniker in the past with that cool performance at the Olympics in 2012, so this would be right up their alley. Reforming for another reunion tour, with no new music, seems like something they'll do maybe one more time before they're "too old", especially since one member in particular is wealthy beyond her wildest dreams. But one-off performances at big events, especially ones like this that are uniquely British, I think they'll always take those opportunities.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »

A tour WITHOUT Victoria is a very strong possibility!