Author Topic: Conor retires again  (Read 10794 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

Re: Conor McGregor retires
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
Can't argue with any of that.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 02:06:35 AM »
Well there it is.  I guess we will see how Zuffa reacts. I don't really disagree with anything he is saying, it will just be interesting where this situation goes from here and where exactly the barometer is set in the future for when other fighters start requesting/demanding the same or similar conditions for certain fights.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 02:08:28 AM »
Conor gets shit on so much but he seems to be one of the most intelligent, polarizing figures in MMA history.

DTF

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 02:10:38 AM »
Agree with the general consensus. He's not saying he won't do promotion, but I'm sure more is being asked of him than anyone else in the UFC. Could have initially handled this better. But he's not wrong.

Dana has already said that Conor's window has closed on UFC 200. We'll see.

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 02:13:05 AM »
Only Conor can promote a fight by talking about not promoting a fight.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 02:27:49 AM »
Funny part in all of this. Drummed up more interest than this world tour of pointless press conferences ever would.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
Funny part in all of this. Drummed up more interest than this world tour of pointless press conferences ever would.

Yeah I was just going to say that.  The events of the past few days have probably put more new eyeballs onto this fight then going to most of those small-town radio morning shows where it's obvious the hosts have no knowledge or interest in MMA.

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 02:32:27 AM »
If there are any Tim and Suzie morning shows in the United States right now they're probably feeling pretty hurt by what Conor said.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:10 AM »
Conor is too real for UFC

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Glad some newer fans got exposed to the UFC's bullshit.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
I agree with most of that, but it's funny that he's implying that doing shots in Cabo before the fight as well as not having a camp made things easier for Nate than the pressers Conor had to do.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
So what do they do with Diaz now?  (GSP?)

Ferguson or Khabib.

• Admin
Ramadan takes Khabib out of it.

I bet it's El Cucuy or Lawler.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Handicap match against Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida. I'd still take Nate.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

Man, I hope Nate still gets paid.  One of these days, this rematch would likely take place, the money is there, but Nate has to stay alive as a top flight guy and also not burn out.  Not super likely.

This wasn't how I wanted the fight to be called off but I never wanted the rematch so in a way I'm ok with it not happening. Conor should have had to go back to 145 and Nate either gets a title fight or a number one contender fight at LW.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

You're right.  If I think back to how I felt when the rematch was announced, I didn't want to see it at all.  Accepted it after a while and found a silver lining in that Nate's fame and money would continue to grow.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
Agreed with everything you guys said, and Dana said that Conor's next fight will be against the winner of Aldo/Edgar.

• Admin
Brett Okamoto thinks there's a 60/40 chance this fight comes back together.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
It's fun to see all this play out in public, and (not) read the HOT TAKES.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
but I like hearing what the fighters have to say, and I'm happy they're mostly backing Conor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/4ftmxq/pros_react_to_mcgregors_statement/

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Yeah I wasn't high on the concept of the rematch in the first place, but I was happy Nate would get another big pay day.  Hopefully whoever he tussles with next warrants a big pay day as well.  Fighting Lawler would be epic.

• Admin
but I like hearing what the fighters have to say, and I'm happy they're mostly backing Conor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/4ftmxq/pros_react_to_mcgregors_statement/

Cejudo pretty much sucked UFC dick on the subject, it was p embarrassing.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Can he really afford to do anything else at this point?  The dominant champ of the division is a modest draw at best and nobody else is even close to being one.

• Admin
I'm gonna point out that if an opponent pulled out of a fight with Conor over this, he'd be calling them a pussy, scared, quitter, whiner, little bitch, fake fighter, bruised vagina, weak minded, etc

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Well, technically mcgregor didn't pull out

Offline jimmy no nose

I would side more with Conor if not for the fact that they bent to all of his other demands in giving him the rematch with Nate at 170.  At that point you have to be expected to play the game a little bit.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
And I guess one thing is, wouldn't it only be fair if you gave the same time off from promotional events to Nate?

• Admin
I side with fighters almost always, but there's definitely a point at which he would play the game and wouldn't play it. Against someone whose beaten him it looks like he won't, but it appears like he would against a midget weight fighter. The UFC feels like they don't owe Conor shit, that's just how it goes. Obviously there is a massive risk for Conor even taking the rematch in the first place, but he did sign for the rematch and knew exactly what was going down. He then decided he wasn't showing up right before he was supposed to, that seems really strange. If he never had signed for the rematch in the first place I would understand.

Now by getting out of this stuff he also avoids having to fight Nate again, because obviously that's not going to happen. It's strange.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Yeah it's not that I necessarily disagree with Conor on most of his points as far as what all this promotional stuff does to take away from training, but it sounds like he is only taking a stand on it now because he is having a rematch against someone who finished him.  If this was more about the bigger picture, for fighters in general then I'd be 100% on board, but this sounds a bit more like "I should get an exception from the rules that others don't get, because....." at the moment.

• Admin
Yeah it's not that I necessarily disagree with Conor on most of his points as far as what all this promotional stuff does to take away from training, but it sounds like he is only taking a stand on it now because he is having a rematch against someone who finished him.  If this was more about the bigger picture, for fighters in general then I'd be 100% on board, but this sounds a bit more like "I should get an exception from the rules that others don't get, because....." at the moment.

When you claim you run the game you can't skip out on promoting the game you run. It's not a responsibility to the UFC either, it's about yourself. Floyd Mayweather never ducked a press tour.

If socially awkward Nate Diaz is stepping up to do a fucking press tour, way out of his comfort zone, then I start to lose sympathy for Conor at that point. That being said, if Conor had beaten Nate and not wanted to do a press tour for a different fight, I guarantee the UFC would have bent straight over for him. The "UFC rules" only apply to fighters they think they can do without. I'm sure they crunched the numbers and all that shit, they did the analysis, they decided the rules applied to Conor right now. I'm not sure they're wrong.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

Apparently Conor tweeted that he was going to make an announcement and then quickly deleted it.

Offline ravman77

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
He didn't look so exhausted titting around Irish bars in Brazil saying how badly he was going to wreck Jose. Changes his tune to suit his situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He already addressed that in his FB post saying that because this was his first loss in the UFC that he wanted a lighter schedule.

I'm not gonna discount the criticisms but I think at the end of the day he's earned a little leeway IMO. As of right now UFC 200 not having Conor on the card has likely cut the buyrate in half, unless the UFC can pull a rabbit out of their hat and somehow get GSP, Jones or Ronda on the card (and the latter is very unlikely) they just took a guaranteed one million buyrate and severely crippled it.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
He's one of those guys who has an obsessive personality. He lost to Nate and doesn't want it to happen again, so wants to prepare as much as possible. I don't blame him.

DTF

Agreed. I think I'm a pretty damn knowledgeable guy about the sport, about as much as you can be without having much training or being a recognized member of the media but I think for a guy who has had all that pressure on him since day once and hasn't lost in almost 6 years he has earned the right to call a few of his own shots. The guy re-energized the European market when it was on its death bed, made the eastern seaboard a huge selling point for the UFC despite MMA not being legal in NY, did all those media tours for the Aldo fight, did TUF etc. If he doesn't want to fly halfway across the world and interrupt the biggest training camp of his life I can totally see why.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
I think everyone can see why he doesn't want to do that, but the same could be said for just about any fighter required to do that. 

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
He's also one of the few with the power to change it so other fighters can do that.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Pretty much and Jones being on board with Conor is telling of where fighters with that level of power are at. Those two and Rousey are the only ones that could win in a battle like this against the UFC.

• Admin
Found this on Reddit, find it interesting given that Conor is now the one showing up on Twitter.

The more I think about it the more I think that he's running away from adversity. He begged for the fight and didn't show up to talk about it, knowing they would take him out of the fight? Pretty weird. It's weirder than weird even.

Also, that PPV wouldn't have done nearly the business that it did if RDA had been able to stay in the fight. They were having a hell of a time selling tickets before Nate got in there, he needs to be given his credit. That show did great business because two guys with big followings got in there. All this talk about nobody else on that stage making the UFC huge money, that's a pile of shit and also really delusional. I'm really surprised anyone buys into that trash, because I seem to remember a lot more people watching the UFC from card to card around that time Cain demolished Brock.

The guy re-energized the European market when it was on its death bed, made the eastern seaboard a huge selling point for the UFC despite MMA not being legal in NY, did all those media tours for the Aldo fight, did TUF etc.

This part is true, but the degree to which the Eastern seaboard part is true I don't know. The Chris did a hell of a job pushing the UFC in New York, and they're not running all that many shows in the Northeast right now either. Only two or three a year, but now that New York is in the game, probably twice as much. They've ignored many core markets for the sport in favor of putting fights in Vegas, now they're going to ignore other core markets in favor of putting fights in New York.

I think the sport is doing really good right now and I'd be more likely to put that at Ronda's feet than Conor's if I was to put it on any one person, but I don't think I believe either of them are solely responsible. The UFC did do a lot of things in the last few years that I think were bad for the sport, so it's funny how things have worked out. Things like putting so many fights in Vegas, oversaturating the Brazil market, ignoring the East, ignoring Northern California, ignoring Canada, UK, and the PNW, these are things that could have destroyed the sport. Another weird thing they do is that they decided to have hero fighters like Weidman and Jones almost never fight near their home area. The UFC also does have a problem with sending their fighters out there to do too much promotion. That being said, Conor knew what he was getting into when he begged for the rematch and I don't feel any sympathy. I think he wants more time to prepare for the fight, is playing mental warfare games (which don't work on Nate) or to not fight him again after all.

The people that ultimately suffer are the fighters that will never receive this kind of push again no matter how good they are. The Fertittas will have learned a lesson from this.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
“He wanted the fight. I didn’t even ask for the fight. It was gonna be a big deal. If I’m gonna fight, it’s gonna be a big deal. I’ve been fighting everybody all the time for nothing anyway,” Diaz said. “I want big fights. If it’s gonna happen, let’s do it. If not, I’m not doing s--t.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nate-Diaz-If-Conor-McGregor-Fight-Doesnt-Happen-at-UFC-200-Im-Going-on-Vacation-

the man right here

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Mcgregor and Diaz should face each other at summerslam

• Admin
“He wanted the fight. I didn’t even ask for the fight. It was gonna be a big deal. If I’m gonna fight, it’s gonna be a big deal. I’ve been fighting everybody all the time for nothing anyway,” Diaz said. “I want big fights. If it’s gonna happen, let’s do it. If not, I’m not doing s--t.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nate-Diaz-If-Conor-McGregor-Fight-Doesnt-Happen-at-UFC-200-Im-Going-on-Vacation-

the man right here

Was thinking earlier about how until he fought Conor he was guaranteed less money than Sage Northcutt. He doesn't owe the UFC fucking shit, I'm glad this is the path he's headed. It's time for the UFC to make fights for the real superstars of this shit. The idea that some goof with spiky hair made 40/40 and a real fighter who created a persona and promoted himself made 20/20, that's fucking disgusting.

Offline Damaramu

According to twitter Conor is back.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• Admin
He would have had to do some ass kissing.

Offline Fökai

Whether you think that Mac is dodging the fight or not...I'm glad that he outed UFC's fight promotion model, which is crossing the line of being superfluous and just plain outdated.

For example, Ronda Rousey didn't need to be doing every media interview in both Australia and the U.S. leading up to the Holm fight, but she was carrying the fight for Holm and for the entire promotion. (For all of the mentions of the UFC being media savvy, the WWE smokes them in their marketing approach. Pick any social media outlet and find one that the UFC does better). Airing a few training sessions through social media would've done well to substitute for that metric shitload of interviews she did in that final media blitz (all were IN PERSON), where you could clearly tell that she was worn out. McGregor, Lesnar, the Diaz Brothers and a few others have proven that a few quality soundbytes are enough to carry a fight.

McGregor's tweet proves that making money doesn't have to be hard.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Honestly in 2016, are that many press conferences/interviews really necessary? I mean, especially in person. FFS, we're supposed to be living in a digital age now.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
According to twitter Conor is back.

Quote from: @TheNotoriousMMA
Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200! Shout out to @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta on getting this one done for the fans. #Respect