Author Topic: ESPN Sucks 3rd Version  (Read 15624 times)

Description:

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
ESPN Sucks 3rd Version
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »

End of an Era this Monday

:'(

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Re: ESPN Sucks 3rd Version
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:50:16 AM »
El FlacoVerified account
‏@bomani_jones
if you wanna see unreal dedication to a losing cause, check skip out now. all of the loud and wrong.

Not saying he don't deserve it, but it feels weird to see seemingly all of ESPN (and even former alums like Rich Eisen) going in on Skip Bayless. It's almost rasslin-like in the way that he's getting jobbed out on his way out of the territory.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:02 AM »
ESPN is pretty classless. Not saying Skip doesn't deserve it, but he's been around all these years and not a peep.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:19:14 AM »
Well ESPN did suspend/fire Colin Cowherd before he went to FOX, so it isn't surprising that Skip is being shit on the way out.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:38:01 AM »
I think it is more a lot of people just don't care and are willing to say what they want. Also, it is sort of the wrassling treatment, because he is going to the "enemy", so yeah.  I wouldn't be surprised if Screamer gets the same treatment on the way out.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
It amazes me how people continually think bursting Bayless' bubble and pointing out where he's wrong will destroy his credibility. He's made his career precisely because people can't stop screaming about how wrong he is. He's literally a professional troll.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:46:46 AM »
Yeah, I kinda liked how they put it on LeBatard's show this morning. It's easy to work that gimmick: all you have to do is be totally shameless.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
The Undefeated post of Stop Hating Lebron rubs me the wrong way. If I dislike someone, that's my choice. Or someone else's. We shouldn't need to change our opinions, just because he's a great person. Sometimes great people can rub someone the wrong way because they are great.

As for me, I don't mind him. I do mind things like this.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
Skip has the easiest job in the world and it makes ESPN employees look bad to say something about him now when he was getting paid far more than them for trolling and they kept their mouth shut.

The Undefeated post of Stop Hating Lebron rubs me the wrong way. If I dislike someone, that's my choice. Or someone else's. We shouldn't need to change our opinions, just because he's a great person. Sometimes great people can rub someone the wrong way because they are great.

You missed the point.

There are people who live their lives consumed by sports hate and we have some of them here. What in the absolute fuck is the point of living life that way? People getting enraged by someone they'll never know winning a sports game when their team wasn't even involved in it is some sucker shit.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
Maybe I did since it wasn't directed at me, like you said. Though I agree about the hatred part for any player, team, or what have you. It is redundant and stupid. I mean I was super mad at the Oilers for being dipshits for the longest time, but it was insane to be upset about that. After all, it is entertainment. You just get to live it vicariously. Same reason why I can now play Overwatch and not get upset with getting murdered so easily. Just enjoy it for what it is, not what you wish it to be.

Also the dipshits part is me replaying what I was thinking at the time (back in 2013), I just now think it is unfortunate that my team sucks. Though I will admit I do get outraged when my team does something stupid. Because it is stupid.

Okay, tl;dr, I get what you are saying 209. Missed the point entirely when I should've understood it. Thanks for that.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »
Skip is the man. These ESPN talking heads shitting on him didn't mind his success when they were eating scraps that fell off of the King's table. But now that ratings are going elsewhere they're trying to cater to the haters and use his name for their gain the last chance they've got. Fuck 'em, Skip's like Johnny Football, his legacy is secure.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »
Skip has the easiest job in the world and it makes ESPN employees look bad to say something about him now when he was getting paid far more than them for trolling and they kept their mouth shut.

You missed the point.

There are people who live their lives consumed by sports hate and we have some of them here. What in the absolute fuck is the point of living life that way? People getting enraged by someone they'll never know winning a sports game when their team wasn't even involved in it is some sucker shit.

If you didn't hate Tom Brady winning a soup, that's some sucker shit

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
I hated it for like an hour and moved on with my life.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
Yeah same

• KOAB
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
Pfft I hated it for like 13 seconds then rolled a joint and jerked it to Jizzelle and his other baby mama. I showed who was superior by making Tom Brady a metaphysical cuck.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
Bridget Moynahan >>>>>>> Jizzzelle

• KOAB
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »
You missed the point.

I know this is probably directed at me. That's a pretty big assumption about how I live or conduct my life off the board. When the Finals ended I made a few posts here, sent a few tweets and kept watching MITB.
Some of my friends gave me shit about Lebron winning and we all had a laugh. That was about it though.

It doesn't consume me or anything like that.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Gert

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »

I agree with this. I usually like LZ's work, but I feel like this was really lazy writing and I did not like the timing of the publishing. If he truly believed the tenor of the article, which I do not wholly disagree with, I would have rather he publish it before Game 7. Obviously a central part of the article was the defining moment in the game of LeBron blocking Iggy's shot, but the LeBron haters were going to exist win or lose so I would have liked to have seen the article posted before the result was in hand.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 01:59:36 AM »
Russillo and Kanell said on their show the other day that ESPN basically had a policy that its talent wasn't allowed to criticize Skip because his act was such a cash cow. Maybe it's a bad look to dump on him on his way out, but I think it's a case of other ESPN personalities finally getting stuff off their chest that they were prevented from saying in the past. The shackles are off, and now they are airing it out.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 02:59:49 AM »
The funny part is that Skip is a troll and knows he's full of shit.  Just seeing how many people take his act so seriously has to crack him up on a daily basis.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 03:06:19 AM »
I agree that Bayless is a professional troll. I don't know if I necessarily believe that he is aware that he is a troll, or that he knows that he's full of shit.  It's certainly plausible, bordering on likely, but I've met too many people who legitimately believe in bullshit to just assume that it's an act.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
Well, considering how Bill couldn't say anything until he left, probably are right about it.

Still, geezus that looks bad though, with tearing into Skip on his way out.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
Yo, when did the Sportscenter Update people on ESPN Radio get so salty? I don't know who this muh-fucka was on the 18:00 ET update, but he was mad editorial.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Rumors are Kellerman is leaving SportsNation to be Screamin' Stephen's new foil on First Take.
Randy!

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
Kellerman would be an excellent edition to First Take. Huge loss for 710 ESPN in LA if Kellerman jumps ship.

Is it against the spirit of this thread to say that First Take may be the best sports show on television?

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
I've been following Max since he was doing a boxing show on public access in NY years ago, so it's cool to see him getting more opportunities. It should be interesting to see the dynamic between he and Screamin' A.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »
Lebatard and Kellerman are the only reasons to listen to 710 these days. I hope Max gets the job to shake things up.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 01:19:12 AM »
Yeah, kellerman rules

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 02:16:00 AM »
boxing is dying, so Kellerman taking such a big role on the network would be good for the sport.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »

Offline strummer

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41:12 AM »
ESPN already going full throttle into college football coverage a month and a half before the season starts.  At least they know their audience

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
Tom Jackson Is Leaving ESPN

"Apparently, ESPN only re-signed Trent Dilfer after it appeared that Jackson was taking off."

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »
Tom Jackson will re-emerge at Fox Sports like all the other ESPN refugees.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 05:11:58 AM »
LeBatard talked on the show today about Delle Donne coming out, which transitioned nicely into what I thought was an interesting conversation about male athletes coming out. Naturally, Michael Sam came up, which led to a sub-discussion about whether Sam made it easier or harder for male athletes to come out.

Unsurprisingly, Stugotz's hot take was that, if you're supremely talented, like a LeBron James, it doesn't matter whether you're gay or not. And, while that may be true, the larger point that LeBatard was trying to make, and which I agree is a more interesting conversation, is whether being supremely talented should have to be a prerequisite to getting an opportunity in sports, if you're an openly gay man? I mean, I'll stick to basketball, here, since I can't really speak intelligently about other sports, but I think we all can agree that, if Anthony Davis had come out as gay while he was still at Kentucky, he would have still been drafted. Looking back at the 2012 draft, he probably still would have gone #1 overall. But, what if Kyle O'Quinn had come out as gay while he was a senior at Norfolk State? Does he still get drafted? Can an openly gay, marginally talented male athlete get drafted to play a professional sport in the United States, or would it have to be a guy who was projected as a superstar?

LeBatard's timeline was full of guys talking that noise about "If Michael Sam were any good, he'd be in the league," or some variation thereof. But, I'm like, there are benchwarmers on every team, in every league, in every sport in the world... Are you confident enough to stand behind the idea that all of those guys are good enough that being openly gay wouldn't have been a roadblock to them making it? Because I'm not. Like, question for the footbaw fans on the board (which is, basically, everybody besides me): think about the practice squad guys for your favorite team. How many of them do you think even get a tryout if they're openly gay?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 05:50:57 AM »
I agree with that in theory, but the thing with Michael Sam is that he couldn't even cut it in the CFL.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »
That's still looking at it on the micro level, rather than the macro level. Like, what's the demarcation point? What's the lowest level of talent a player would be allowed to have to be openly gay and play in the league?

That's why I specifically asked about the practice squad players on your favorite team: I'm not qualified to argue whether or not Michael Sam is talented enough to "cut it" in the NFL, or even the CFL, and whether Michael Sam is or not is kind of besides the point. I presume that we're all in agreement that the star of the team could be gay, and still in the league; what about Towel-Waver-Guy, though?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »
That's what I'm saying, if Michael Sam were straight he still wouldn't be good enough to make the NFL. But yes, odds are if practice squad players came out as gay that would make things harder, and in some situations they might not make the team when they otherwise would have as a straight man.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
A lot of coaches wouldn't want to deal with the media circus depending on the player's talent level as well. If somebody who were gay (or even bisexual) but was backup talent probably would have a harder road to get drafted nevermind stick on a 53 man roster. I still think Sam could've made a practice squad for an NFL team if he were straight and didn't have the media circus around him but I don't think he could've stuck in the NFL more than a couple years at most.

I think we (LGBT community) legit would need a superstar or at least a very obvious starter level caliber player to come out and stick on a team before lesser caliber players can do so. See the NBA and Jason Collins as well for an NBA comparison to Michael Sam.

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
Todd Grisham gonna take you to HAWT TAEK CITY.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
wow espn really desperate for those ratings.

wasn't this guy on wwe?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
he was but they didn't let him have the shitty haircut ESPN does

plus his most memorable moment in wwe was melting down on an internet exclusive show
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »
Dumbass is about all he's worth.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »
Barnwell goes through history from the early 20th century to the present, anointing various athletes throughout history as the 'best american athlete champion'. Even came up with a belt!

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/17303175/best-american-athlete-championship-belt-best-athlete-sports-history-michael-jordan-michael-phelps-babe-ruth-tiger-woods-united-states

respect to giving Randy Moss a title run in 2007. But I gotta say, the steroid rule is dumb considering a lot of the guys he picked were probably on roids.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »
ESPN got me with the okey-doke yesterday: when I found out that they were going to have an all-female episode of Sports Reporters, I was intrigued. When they introduced the host and speakers at the beginning, and they all mentioned a topic relevant to women's sports, I was like Papi LeBatard in this piece: ¡Sí, sí, I'm very intrigued!

Then they spent the next thirty minutes talking about football...  >:(

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
why do you hate football anyway? I don't think you've ever explained.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2016, 03:23:56 AM »
First episode of Skip's new show did a .09. Lol.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »
post/av

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2016, 01:51:33 AM »
Second time this week that LeBatard has used "Glorious!" as his rejoin music.

As to the football question... I don't really feel like typing up a big wall of text that describes the thirty-odd years of history that goes into why I hate football, so let's just pretend that I did, and skip to the tl;dr answer:

Because.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2016, 02:12:56 AM »
Second time this week that LeBatard has used "Glorious!" as his rejoin music.

As to the football question... I don't really feel like typing up a big wall of text that describes the thirty-odd years of history that goes into why I hate football, so let's just pretend that I did, and skip to the tl;dr answer:

Because it's not a woman's sport.

EFA

I kid. I kid.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.