Author Topic: ESPN Sucks 3rd Version  (Read 13731 times)

Description:

Offline devo

Re: ESPN Sucks 3rd Version
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »
And here I thought DDP couldn't get any more likable.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2017, 01:16:50 AM »
Eh, after slogging through some of the backlash, I side with LeBatard. Between the cognitive dissonance of DDP identifying himself as "Positively Page," just before launching into a profanity-laden tirade, and all of the pressed marks in LeBatard's mentions, I can't see myself on DDP's side in this.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2017, 01:46:50 AM »
Dan "SCUM" Lebatard is great at most things but not interviews. Yelling at Page "DID YOU GOUGE HIS EYES OUT" is hacky and not entertaining.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2017, 02:11:45 AM »
Oh, the interview was terrible. I was on Page's side, until he lost his shit. He should have just pulled a Bilas and hung up on LeBatard.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2017, 03:35:07 AM »
The black community is rejoicing over Sage Steele being removed from NBA Countdown (ironically by Michelle Beadle, who many black people believe is racist). Some background on why people hate Sage.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/03/sage-steele-called-me-a-liar-but-here-is-the-truth-she-doesnt-ever-bother-to-hide/

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »
I cannot stand Jemele Hill. There's just something about her that's so annoying and off putting.

I don't watch her show but even the commercials I see for it drive me up a wall.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
The black community is rejoicing over Sage Steele being removed from NBA Countdown (ironically by Michelle Beadle, who many black people believe is racist). Some background on why people hate Sage.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/03/sage-steele-called-me-a-liar-but-here-is-the-truth-she-doesnt-ever-bother-to-hide/

okay, I agree with him that just because someone uses slang or doesn't use perfect grammar, that it's all irrelevant to their overall intelligence. But the way you use grammar to articulate your thoughts does matter sometimes because:

You judging because Tiger cheater, might want to be very careful with those stones cause it wouldn’t take much for that glass house to break like Stone Cold Steve Austin music hitting.

looks bad and makes it harder to get to the point.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
But I had no idea Sage Steele hated herself so much that she voted for Trump, sad.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »

okay, I agree with him that just because someone uses slang or doesn't use perfect grammar, that it's all irrelevant to their overall intelligence. But the way you use grammar to articulate your thoughts does matter sometimes because:

You judging because Tiger cheater, might want to be very careful with those stones cause it wouldn’t take much for that glass house to break like Stone Cold Steve Austin music hitting.

looks bad and makes it harder to get to the point.

I think the point was

those stones cause it wouldn’t take much for that glass house to break like Stone Cold Steve Austin music hitting.

BAH GAWD

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
Sage Steele is an Aunt Tamsin

Offline strummer

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
It was announced officially that Mike and Mike is ending.  It was a corporate decision due to ESPN's plummeting numbers.

It certainly looks like Greenberg and everyone's favorite Trumpster Sage Steele will be hosting a morning talk show on I would assume ESPN 2

Offline strummer

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2017, 02:41:16 AM »
Mass firings coming from ESPN today

Ed Werder, John Buccigross first ones leaked, lots more coming (Buccigross not gone but ESPN will reportedly not pick up his contract when it ends)

Jim Bowden and his toupee are gone

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 03:07:56 AM »
http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Well ESPN gave up its facade of having hockey coverage.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 03:50:25 AM »
I'm still waiting for the people who seem to believe that the "real" reason why people are canceling ESPN* is because they're too 'librul' to explain where those people are going, instead? 'Cause it ain't like they're going to Fox or NBC.

* - (even though they're actually canceling cable, and/or packages that they're not using, but I've been told that that's a discussion for a different thread)

Offline devo

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
My advice would be not to wait for an explanation from anyone who blames liberalism for one's choice of entertainment consumption.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2017, 04:57:28 AM »
Some other names of note getting released/axed: Trent Dilfer, Jayson Stark, Danny Kannell (Radio), Jeremy Crabtree, Jim Bowden, and Karl Ravech/Hannah Storm will see reduced roles.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
Some other names of note getting released/axed: Trent Dilfer, Jayson Stark, Danny Kannell (Radio), Jeremy Crabtree, Jim Bowden, and Karl Ravech/Hannah Storm will see reduced roles.

It almost seems as if ESPN's reaction to being accused of liberal bias and not having enough hardcore sports talk is to fire most of their hardcore sports talk personalities. Which would be hilarious, if that was what was actually happening... And would also suit me right down the ground: I loathe hardcore sports talk, anyway.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2017, 06:03:50 AM »
All of those people are overpaid for what they bring to the table, which is pretty much nothing.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:40 AM »
857290262111895552[/tweet]][/url]

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 06:48:44 AM »
Excellent tweet.

Offline Richard

• life sucks
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Well ESPN gave up its facade of having hockey coverage.

I didn't see Melrose on the list.

Offline strummer

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

It almost seems as if ESPN's reaction to being accused of liberal bias and not having enough hardcore sports talk is to fire most of their hardcore sports talk personalities. Which would be hilarious, if that was what was actually happening... And would also suit me right down the ground: I loathe hardcore sports talk, anyway.

I don't listen that much at all to ESPN radio or any of their podcasts.  Who at ESPN talks "hardcore sports" anymore?  It seems to be a thing of the past.  Again maybe it isn't because I don't listen much.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
if they get rid of Neal Everett I'll start watching Sportscenter again. I don't watch a fraction of the Espn that I used to.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »

I don't listen that much at all to ESPN radio or any of their podcasts.  Who at ESPN talks "hardcore sports" anymore?  It seems to be a thing of the past.  Again maybe it isn't because I don't listen much.

YMMV, but Mike & Mike and Russillo & Kannell, if you don't think they qualify as "hardcore" sports talk, well... they were entirely too close to it for my tastes. There's probably not much in terms of radio that qualifies as "hardcore" sports talk, if you don't think M&M and R&K count, but there's definitely a lot of "hot taek" radio happening. As far as podcasts, ESPN definitely has some "hardcore" sports podcasts: I imagine that The Golf Podcast, Hockey Today, The Lowe Post, Fantasy Focus, and shows like that are nothing but "hardcore" sports.

See, I may have a much lower threshold for the standard for "hardcore" sports talk than some others, because I look at it like this: if I want scores, I'll just hit the ESPN app on my phone, or log into the website right fast. I don't actually want highlights, and I don't actually want analysis; that shit is not relevant to my interests. What I actually want from my sports media personalities is men and women who discuss sports in the larger context of current events and pop culture, and whom also talk about current events and pop culture in the context of sports. Pretty much anything else falls under what I personally classify as "hardcore" sports.

That's why people like Bomani and Amin and LeBatard and Pablo Torre and Sarah Spain and Michael and Jemele are more relevant to my interests. I neither need nor want to listen to a breakdown of the fourth quarter between OKC and Houston, nor do I care to hear anyone's hot take about whether Westbrook shoots too much, or does he have enough help. But, someone who wants to examine why it's problematic that a particular segment of fans are against athletes having more power and more agency, or why Hunter Green is probably not going to rejuvenate black interest in baseball? Yeah, I'll take more of that, please and thank you.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
Speaking of sports radio, what's the deal with some of these trash local shows, like in Boston, and their wack-ass fans, and their feeling some kind of sense of entitlement to the attention of national personalities? Like this buster Kirk Minihane stays steady taking shots at ESPN personalities (usually POC and/or women), and when they rightfully call him a buster, he gets all, "Well, why won't you come on my show, then?" And then, all his trash fans start harassing whichever personality on ESPN Minihane called out, and accuse them of being"cowards," if they don't come on Minihane's show. Like, they feel entitled for whomever their little dude local guy is beefing up with to come on his show, and confront him on his terms. What does the national guy gain from that?

Offline Cartman

« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
Living in the Boston area, having to choose between the buffons on one "sports" morning show where the hosts would rather whine about everything than talk about sports, because they dont know shit about sports...and the other show you mentioned with Kirk Minihane, who is just an antagonistic piece of shit, is brutal these days. Moswt of the other shows through the midday and evening are good, but mornings are just garbage now. Minihane spends most of his morning show, like you said, tryig to pick fights with people, or talking about the inside politics of the Boston radio world.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline strummer

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:25 AM »
Hate to see someone lose their job but I'm not exactly going to miss Dallas Braden on telecasts.  I guess they have to fill his "bro, seriously bro" type humor with another "quirky" left hander (Mark Mulder still around?)  Zito?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
Truehoop had become not just my favorite NBA podcast but one of my favorite pods period.  ESPN gutted it firing Henry Abbott, Ethan Straus, possible Amin and others and now the pod is on indefinite hiatus.  And in the middle of the fucking playoffs no less

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »
ESPN keeps making news with its roster of talent. Sporting News reported Wednesday that longtime NFL reporter John Clayton was among the recent layoffs that hit the network. Clayton had been with the network for 23 years.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2017, 05:48:34 AM »
More time for Slayer, I guess.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

Offline fazzle

« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Only 13 years after Dodgeball's release.   That's WWE levels of pop culture efficiency!

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Hey, did you guys know today was Tom Brady's 40th birthday?
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV

• Admin
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
What a fucking disgrace.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
What a fucking disgrace.

I agree; they totally shouldn't have issued that mealy-mouthed apology.

• Admin
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
It is easy for me to say from here, but I don't think I'd be able to go back to work after my employer pulled a piece of shit move like that.

Offline LaVar Ball

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »
Bitch got what she deserved!  This is just another example of why women shouldn't be on TV, in media, or any kind of forum that allows them to open their big ass mouths.  Get off the damn Twitter, bring me a beer and shut the fuck up!

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
Katie Nolan got hired.  Just give her Garbage Time with a new name and a podcast and I'll be satisfied.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »
No Jemele, no views.

#FreeJemele

• Admin
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »
Journalists are gonna have to unionize. It is too easy for right wing media to target journalists (specifically women and people of color) and hound them out of a job.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »
As long as liberals keep visiting trash sites like ESPN, this shit won't change.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
As long as liberals keep visiting trash sites like ESPN...

As opposed to where?

• Admin
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »
As long as liberals keep visiting trash sites like ESPN, this shit won't change.

Lol the actual problem is that there aren't enough liberals who go to sites like ESPN. Or CNN or anywhere else people get punished for telling the truth. They get punished because there isn't enough of our money out there to justify their employee making controversial comments. Liberals continuing to withdraw their money/clicks has created a situation where companies have to cater to moderates and conservatives in order to make a buck. Smartening up and not paying for dated bullshit has created a society where the brain drain is accelerated out of financial necessity.

The vast majority of fake news out there has come into play as a result of companies needing to sell ad space. Smart companies are too intelligent to buy them, so in steps groups who market to people too dumb to know how to block those ads. The ad space has to be sold to someone so people can stay afloat. This is the conundrum of capitalism.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »
Luckily there are sites like http://culturecrossfire.com/ where we've given up on ever making any money!

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
You can't say anything negative about the NFL, which is ESPN's meal ticket, and not expect something to happen. Don't say I agree what they did, because I don't.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
You can't say anything negative about the NFL, which is ESPN's meal ticket, and not expect something to happen. Don't say I agree what they did, because I don't.

The NFL got them to cancel their Playmakers series because the NFL didn't like it. Show wasn't half bad and did well for them in ratings.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »
ESPN's total lack of firewall between sales and the news desk is one of the reasons their "journalism" has generally been a joke since time immemorial.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
Nah, ESPN's journalism is fine. The disconnect comes from people who appear to think that that's all they should exist for. Well that, and show live games and highlights. Which, from my point of view, sounds awful.