Author Topic: Brie Larson is Captain Marvel  (Read 2352 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Brie Larson is Captain Marvel
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »
Captain Marvel is finally cast as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.  Figured there is no thread yet but start now.  Marvel's first female lead film is finally cast with Oscar winner Brie Larson.  Probably lost in all the Comic Con announcements but this one on slate for March 2019.

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Re: Brie Larson is Captain Marvel
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 03:01:11 AM »
Great casting. She's incredible, looks the part, and brings instant credibility.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »
Indeed, while not my first choice she is def a great pick. So far the only real complaint I'm hearing on her is the same we got with Gal as WW, "To skinny, needs to buff up." etc.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »
I like the casting.  Guess it has been rumored but I haven't paid attention - just curious Cletus, who would you have put above her?
[img width=800

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:48 AM »
gurl.... <3
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:58:14 AM »
I like the casting.  Guess it has been rumored but I haven't paid attention - just curious Cletus, who would you have put above her?

My top 2 picks were Katee Sackhoff and Emily Blunt.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »
Doesn't Katee Sackhoff do direct to digital horror sci-fi crap now? I don't think she's going to be headlining any blockbuster franchises anytime soon. :P

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 06:22:25 AM »
Doesn't Katee Sackhoff do direct to digital horror sci-fi crap now? I don't think she's going to be headlining any blockbuster franchises anytime soon. :P

She's on something called Longmire which is apparently on its fifth season, but your point still stands.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »

She's on something called Longmire which is apparently on its fifth season, but your point still stands.

It was more of a personal choice from back when BSG was on that I thought of her for the role, and was more of she just fits the look perfectly, wasn't really thinking in terms of star power/box office draw or such....but it's not like it'd be a first time they did something like that, I mean RDJ fit the Stark mold perfectly but he wasn't exactly a box office stud at the time, and at this point the $$$ is gonna come for all Marvel properties, just a matter of how big. I imagine there is a great deal of pressure on this one to do extra good being the first female led film so probably better with this choice.

Online HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »
I love Brie, but she doesn't scream action hero to me.

I personally liked Yvonne Strahovski for this.

DTF

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:03:30 AM »
If Ronda Rousey could act she would have been perfect.

I like Brie for the role. And let's not pretend that Chris Evans, RDJ and Mark Ruffalo screamed action hero.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Ut Ot

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
I love Brie, but she doesn't scream action hero to me.

I personally liked Yvonne Strahovski for this.

I second this. Yvonne would have been great.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:05 AM »
Just saw Brie and I have to say, she fits the part. Sure, she's not "buff" like others, however, maybe that's half the point? Having people who lean more towards the "normal" body types?

Here's hoping this movie is good. That's all I want. More good movies.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 06:49:30 AM »
Just saw Brie and I have to say, she fits the part. Sure, she's not "buff" like others, however, maybe that's half the point? Having people who lean more towards the "normal" body types?

Only argument of sense for her needing to be more buffed is her back story as a former jet fighter pilot, but it's not something that would make or break anything for me.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
That could actually just have her looking more athletic, not necessarily buff. I think as more time goes on, she would buff up.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
Someone get Brie on that DWAYNE THE ROCK ALL STEROID COD DIET
[img width=800

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
... there will still be MCU movies in 2019??

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »

[img width=800

Online HSJ

• misogynist at heart

DTF

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
She looks like a good captain marvel so far.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 12:45:28 AM »
I don't know if I love Skrulls being in it simply because there's going to be the inevitable "Are you really who you say you are?" storyline at some point in the film followed by the 'shocking' moment when we find out that somebody isn't who they say they are.

Offline Aero

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 10:11:04 AM »
ah shit looks good and they're finally giving Sam a bigger role it looks like. I'm looking forward to this.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
looks like it should probably be good and i'm glad her pet made it.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
Disney has kept the character Jude Law is playing under wraps.  Their website posted who he is the other day before taking it down.

Spoiler: show
He will be Mar-Vell, as many anticipated
[img width=800

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

this is a fun way of marketing the movie and making me miss the old days of the internet

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 12:33:29 PM »
My friend was asking me if I wanted to see this with him and the entire time I was thinking he was talking about Shazam. For the record I want to see both movies, but it was a fun 2 minutes of confusion around me saying "it looks pretty funny" before we figured out we were talking about different movies.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
The fact this one is here already kinda snuck up on me.  I know there was some controversy with internet trolls tanking some of the review scores on popular review sites.  Think the real premiere was tonight so we will see how word of mouth is.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »
Saw this last night.  I felt it started a little slow and dry but then really picked up
once she got to Earth

Think the actors were better than the script on this one but still a lot of fun. 
[img width=800

Offline YEAAAAAH, WE DID IT AGAIN!

• NEVERMORE YOUR WHIPPING BOY!
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »
Saw this last night.  I felt it started a little slow and dry but then really picked up
once she got to Earth

Think the actors were better than the script on this one but still a lot of fun.
That's what I thought but for me this felt kinda standard issue. The constant 90's references (especially the obvious needle drops to the obvious songs...once "Just a Girl" started playing I rolled my eyes) got on my nerves, the villains just felt kinda whatever (not to mention a waste of Djimon Hounsou and Gemma Chan) and the action scenes were poorly edited a lot of the time. It's not a bad movie (everyone in this is good acting wise, the jokes that aren't "hey its the 90's!" were good, it looks good and Goose is the best) but after the the last two years giving us more good than bad comic book movies, I can't help but wish this was better than "well it was okay."

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »
I wrote a review in the thread for those reviews, but I thought this was a good movie. There were still issues though, like the ones Gary said about wasting certain actors who seemed like they would have expanded roles in the MCU via being in another movie.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
I wrote a review in the thread for those reviews, but I thought this was a good movie. There were still issues though, like the ones Gary said about wasting certain actors who seemed like they would have expanded roles in the MCU via being in another movie.

I just read your review and while I usually respect your opinion, I feel like you and I watched two different movies. But you did say that you were biased in your review. Honestly, this is a bottom 5 marvel film for me just beating out Thor 2 and Hulk.

DTF

Offline Sabre

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 03:28:50 AM »

I just read your review and while I usually respect your opinion, I feel like you and I watched two different movies. But you did say that you were biased in your review. Honestly, this is a bottom 5 marvel film for me just beating out Thor 2 and Hulk.

Woah, im hyped for seeing it weds.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 04:54:46 AM »
Just got back and it was fine, I guess. Probably a 6.5 to 7/10 but it didn't seem like it was on a level of even Spider-Man: Homecoming or anything for me. Also I'm so done with these movies having to be 2 Hours. This thing should've been 1:45 at most. Floyd kind of nailed the most parts.

What really hurt was that the movie didn't really know what it wanted to do as far as a villainy-plot. It was trying to do a few things: Captain Marvel discovering who she is, the Krees vs. Skrulls stuff, and setting up the Shield basis but it never really felt like a cohesive meshing and at times it was just bouncing X to Y to Z. So by the time the movie gets to its final act and Captain Marvel is doing the usual badass hero stuff, I was just ready for it to wrap up and finish.

Offline Ut Ot

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:06 AM »
I felt like the "villainy-plot" was fairly straightforward:

The Kree, at least in the MCU, were actually the bad guys/instigators in the Kree/Skrull war, and Mar-Vell was assassinated as part of a cover up, to keep that information quiet, and also because she'd kinda/sorta become a Skrull sympathizer. Then they discovered that she had access to the Tesseract, and the plan switched up, on the fly, to "Obtain the Tesseract, for the glory of the Kree Empire!" I feel pretty confident that the cover up was the main plot, and that the Tesseract did not factor into the original plan because, if it had, then someone would have been on C-53 looking for it, in the six years between the time Mar-Vell was assassinated and "Vers" ended back up on C-53.

The parallel "villainy-plot" was to brainwash/gaslight "Vers" into becoming the perfect Kree warrior, once they realized what she was capable of.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:32 AM »
I think the first movie, show, whatever to make Shield into a competent agency that runs decently will be getting overrated to hell by me. Really the only lasting thoughts I have with this is when exactly is that shitty agency never not compromised?

Liked the cast... wanna see what they can do with a better director and script.

6/10

Offline Sabre

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
I loved this. Brie was great. Solid popcorn flick for me.

I also got super emotional with the marvel opening credits being only Stan lee cameos. Right in the feels.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
I'm a bad opinion to use as a measuring stick, but I loved it. Only complaint wasn't plot related, but I thought the Skrulls looked too costumed in effect for a 2018/19 production. And that feels like I'm forcing myself to nitpick by saying it.

I'm very much a fan of Brie Larson in every role I've seen and I also have a crush on her in a "I'm a guy" manner. I loved the 90s references and didn't find them hokey or ill placed. I thought the humor was timed well. And I was okay with everything involving Fury, whereas I've read some criticism on some posts elsewhere.

The part "in Louisiana" was so blatantly filmed here I chuckled out loud. Spoiler: The tool shed used to be a slave house pre 1860. All my agricultural relatives still have them all over their farms for storage in the 21st century. Same exact architecture as presented in this movie.

And one other "reaching to complain" comment: I really didn't like seeing the trailers for End Game and Spiderman before the movie that predates them in the chronology. Especially Spiderman considering he's still gone as of right now. Like, HELLO Spoilers!? Again, nitpicking.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
On Spider-Man. There’s a rumour kicking about that the bus he was on in infinity war was him returning from the trip he’s on in the new movie.

Offline Aero

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:47 AM »
Got around to seeing it this weekend, and I liked it fine enough. Would rank it solidly in the middle, among all the other MCU movies.

I was going to nitpick the tesseract’s appearance/timeline here, but I guess it could be argued that previous films just didn’t elaborate on everything that happened with it between being recovered from the Arctic and events in the first Avengers.

Also, granted I don’t think I’ve actually seen a ton of his work to begin with, but seeing Ben Mendelsohn play a good guy in the second half was weird. I kept waiting for him to turn.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »
On Spider-Man. There’s a rumour kicking about that the bus he was on in infinity war was him returning from the trip he’s on in the new movie.

Pretty sure they've already stated in interviews where it is chronologically in the MCU.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:16 AM »
Yeah, I would rank this solidly in the middle. On par with Dr. Strange. I enjoyed the musical cues even if they were too blatant at times and I thought Larson was excellent. Enjoyable but not Marvel's best.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
Saw it Friday. Would probably rank it below the average Marvel movie. Still a fun time. But not memorable really. Maybe my favorite Stan cameo. The smile with him and Vers was sweet. Kinda like people knew he didn’t have many of these left.

My only real complaint was “hey. We’re in the 90’s. You get it? Hey! You fucking get it?”

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
The Stan cameo was perfect yeah. It might be the best way to say good bye to him as far as closing the loop, so if that was it I'd be ok with it.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 03:14:12 AM »
Saw this last night. Nothing says shitty movie like pandering neoliberal politics, characters with no depth, and plot points that don't matter. The worst MCU release yet, made worse by how bland the Anna Boden/Ryan Fleck script was. Just...wow. You have top caliber talent in front of the lens and complete fucking idiots behind it, all the while Disney execs cynically chatter about female empowerment.

When the best part of your film is a brief cameo? You failed at your job. Even the music cues were shit.

Offline Ut Ot

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »
Saw this last night. Nothing says shitty movie like pandering neoliberal politics, characters with no depth, and plot points that don't matter. The worst MCU release yet, made worse by how bland the Anna Boden/Ryan Fleck script was. Just...wow. You have top caliber talent in front of the lens and complete fucking idiots behind it, all the while Disney execs cynically chatter about female empowerment.

When the best part of your film is a brief cameo? You failed at your job. Even the music cues were shit.
Strongest possible disagree.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
Laz hates a fun movie.  News at 11.

Online HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
I agree with him but wouldn’t call it the worst MCU movie.

DTF