Author Topic: Hidden Gems  (Read 2558 times)

Description: Includes the Last Battle of Atlanta!

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
Hidden Gems
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
http://www.wwenetworknews.com/2016/09/03/exclusive-full-content-listing-for-upcoming-hidden-gems-wwe-network-collection/?wt=2

Really looking forward to finally seeing Buzz Sawyer and Tommy Rich in the Last Battle of Atlanta cage match. I've read plenty of stories about whether or not the footage actually existed - that it was destroyed, that Ole Anderson had the only existing copy, that Paul Ellering had a copy for the highest bidder, etc. According to someone on Wrestling Classics, it turns out that the Last Battle footage was found in a batch of Omni house shows that were filmed back in the day. Nobody is sure of the origins; perhaps the tapes were simply forgotten items from the WCW sale.

Harley Race vs. Bob Backlund and Samoa Joe vs. William Regal ought to be fun to watch as well. Frankly, I'm looking forward to everything on that list!
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
Re: Hidden Gems
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:47 AM »
Apparently the Last Battle of Atlanta is uncut too.  I know the first thing I'm watching when I get home from work tomorrow.  If not before I go to work.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
Does the network post new content at a specific time?

There are doubts that the match will live up to the decades of hype and anecdotes, but I don't care. I first read about the Rich/Sawyer feud thirty years ago and have always wanted to see this lost piece of wrestling history.

Apparently the entire segment is 28 minutes long and includes ring introductions, Paul Ellering being locked in his own cage, the match itself, and Ole Anderson's post-match beatdown on Ellering per the match stipulation. No commentary, single camera shoot.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
I also really want to see the Austin/Bret match

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
Me too. Bret/Funk in better quality than RF Video's tapes will be great to watch as well. Really good match; it is quite surreal to see Bret wrestling on what is essentially an ECW card.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »
FYI I've seen the Austin/Bret match.  It's a historical curiosity but Bret is fulfilling obligations while on vacation and the whole thing seems phoned in (or to give them the BOD, affected by jetlag).

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »
Race-Backlund was on the MSG DVD set and is really good if you like mat based wrestling.  Won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Can't wait for this set to drop today.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
Last Battle:

Match goes under 15 mins, quite bloody but nothing could live up to the legend.

Lack of commentary to sell the drama hurt I'd wager

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »
Bret Hart/Steve Austin had Jim Ross and OWEN HART on commentary, awesome stuff. Match was solid, heavy on the chain wrestling in the beginning and lots of crowd pandering.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »
A Shotgun Saturday Cruiserweight match between Venom Black and Hysteria (?) Is a fun match once it gets going.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
Awesome to finally see Rich-Sawyer. Very Magnum-Tully esque and, imo, lived up to the hype. Tommy Rich started his Corino bladejob like 2 minutes in.

The post-match match with Ole and Ellering wasnt quite as fun.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
William Regal Vs Samoa Joe is a surreal match. It's more or less, Regal doing an extended squash of a svelte, not very good Samoa Joe, who is wrestles with a cutoff Hawaiian shirt over his singlet. There's a random, brief Naked Mideon cameo (who Regal claims was filling in for Undertaker)

Then Triple H (who was probably Taker's actual replacement) shows up to kick Regal's ass and cuts a very obligatory "Well, I guess check's cleared but it's not big enough for me to give a shit" promo putting over the great independent wrestlers of today. Triple H: Independent wrestling supporter since 2000.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 12:35:53 AM »
Race-Backlund was on the MSG DVD set and is really good if you like mat based wrestling.  Won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Can't wait for this set to drop today.

I wanted to like it but I swear Bob holds the headlock at the beginning for a good 10 minutes straight.

It's fun to watch the really old stuff and see the crowd jump up and pop for a bodyslam. I always wonder if we could send two guys like say AJ and Seth through a time machine if the crowd's would lose their shit or if they would think it looks too choreographed and fake.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
They just added Volume 2 of this.

* Dallas Wrestling 04/29/1952 – A Killer Challenge: Killer Kowalski is faced with some deadly double duty when he takes on Mr. Moto and Duke Keomuka in a Handicap Match in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.
* Dallas Wrestling 11/08/1966 – Legends of Texas Rasslin’: In this rarely seen battle, Joe Blanchard teams with Cowboy Bob Ellis and Duke Keomuka to face Bob Geigel, Gary Hart, and Waldo Von Erich in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.
* WWWF 07/29/1970 – Bruno Battles a Caged Animal: Within the hallowed grounds of Madison Square Garden, Bruno Sammartino takes on George ‘The Animal’ Steele in a Steel Cage Match.
* Championship Wrestling from Florida 06/15/1972 – A Moving Demonstration: Strengthen your knowledge of wrestling maneuvers demonstrated by the likes of Danny Hodge, Harley Race, and other legends of the ring.
* Mid-South Wrestling 11/27/1975 – The Cowboy and a Texas Bronco: Two western legends go head-to-head when ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts defends the North American Championship against Terry Funk.
* Stampede Wrestling 08/17/1979 – Inoki Faces The Lariat: The legendary Antonio Inoki travels North of the Border to Stampede Wrestling to take on Stan ‘The Lariat’ Hansen.
* NWA Mid-Atlantic 11/22/1979 – Battle of The Nature Boys: Witness a true wrestling rarity with the only known footage of ‘The Nature Boy’ Buddy Rogers taking on ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair.
* NWA Big Time Wrestling 06/07/1981 – Big Cat vs Modern Day Warrior: In this classic confrontation, ‘The Big Cat’ Ernie Ladd goes one-on-one with ‘The Modern Day Warrior’ Kerry Von Erich.
* Mid-South Wrestling 09/01/1983 – The Size of a Giant: Andre the Giant makes his way to Mid-South Wrestling, Bill Watts shows the fans the extraordinary size of ‘The Eighth Wonder of the World’.
* Global Wrestling Federation 01/06/1992 – Cruiserweight Pioneers: Witness The Lighting Kid defend the GWF Light Heavyweight Championship against Jerry Lynn in an incredible 2-Out-of-3 Falls Match.
* Stu Hart 50th Anniversary Show 12/15/1995 – The Funks Make Bad Company: The Funks look to bring some Texas Justice to Stampede Wrestling’s Showdown at the Corral in a battle against Brian Pillman and Bruce Hart.
* WCW 01/27/1999 – Festival De Lucha: Konnan, Rey Mysterio, Hector Garza, and Silver King face a team led by Chris Jericho in a bout from WCW’s unaired pilot ‘Festival de Lucha’.
* Ultimate Pro Wrestling 04/25/2001 – An Ultimate Encounter: Edge and Christian journey to Ultimate Pro Wrestling to take on the evolutionary duo known as Nova and Frankie Kazarian.
* OVW 07/28/2001 – The Beast Meets Leviathan: Prior to Batista’s evolution into The Animal, Leviathan clashes with Brock Lesnar in this memorable battle from Ohio Valley Wrestling.
* FCW 02/05/2012 – Gold Before Justice: Long before fighting for justice, the future members of The Shield battled each other for a shot at gold in this Triple Threat Match.
Inoki Vs Stan Hansen in Stampede Wrestling, Funks Vs Bad Company, and Edge & Christian Vs Nova & Frankie Kazarian are definite watches for me.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Thank you! It might've been months before I noticed the update.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »
Flair vs. Rogers is just five minutes of clips which is disappointing.

I've always loved that Lynn-Kid match

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:18 AM »
I've only seen a few still photos of Flair-Rogers. I dont understand being frustrated by five minutes of clips instead of nothing.

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
Watching the Flair-Rogers match almost felt like watching 1979 Flair wrestling a late 90's Flair. Rogers all bloody and out of shape looks a lot like Flair late in his career. Both using the Nature Boy name makes more sense now.

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 07:12:44 AM »
Everyone needs to check out the unaired AWA Team Challenge series pilot they just uploaded today. The matches take place in an empty studio with no fans, but unlike the "pink soundstage" era of the AWA they try to hide this fact with canned crowd noise and creative chroma key techniques like this:

There's also foxy boxing for some reason.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »
Cool. Glad to know Verne Gagne saw the original Tron.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »
I can’t recommend the AWA team challenge series thing enough. Holy shit, this is wild. Where did this originally air?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 01:34:34 AM »
I can’t recommend the AWA team challenge series thing enough. Holy shit, this is wild. Where did this originally air?

Never aired I believe. Gagne (Greg) explained in one of his shoots that a TV producer came to them with a plan to green screen an audience and what not to save cash.  They ran a test and it sucked and the plan never moved forward.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
I hope the WWE starts green screening crowds.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 08:15:37 AM »
They considered it with the Bryan-AJ match last week but sadly opted against it.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »
This is hilarious already with Verne sitting at a park like a kindly grandfather holding a scared dog with a fishing pole near him.

Offline JN News

• CXF's Resident Schizo.
  • JN News
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong. The Hidden Gems are good. But, when are they gonna get back to posting more old school wrestling shows? Those are like the heart and soul of the WWE Network.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 06:46:56 AM »
That Foxy Boxing segment is something else. What the eff did Verne think of that?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/survivor-series-showdown-9192-and-93/

I reviewed the newly dropped "Survivor Series Showdown 1993" for the site 4(!) years ago. Avoid! Abort! Ignore!

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 03:40:48 AM »
They added Steamboat/Jay Youngblood vs The Briscos and Ric Flair vs Harley Race from a 7/9/83 house show

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »
Matches with some famous Japanese competitors going up on January 3rd (day before WrestleKingdom)

Showdown at Shea 08/09/1980 – An International Showdown [Duration: 11:25]
WWE Hall of Famer Antonio Inoki takes on ‘Pretty Boy’ Larry Sharpe from the legendary Showdown at Shea event in the summer of 1980.

AWA 05/14/1988 – Flying High with The King [Duration: 17:22]
Greg Gagne teams with AWA Champion Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler to face two of Japan’s fiercest competitors in Riki Choshu and Mr. Saito.

WCW Power Hour 09/01/1989 – Muta in the Mist
The rivalry between WWE Hall of Famer Sting and Japanese legend the Great Muta reaches a fever pitch in the summer of 1989.

WCW Worldwide 05/18/1996 – The Iceman Cometh [Duration: 07:05]
The WCW Cruiserweight Championship is on the line as Shinjiro Otani defends against the Iceman of WCW, Dean Malenko.

NXT Live Event 10/30/2016 – The Fight for Glory [Duration: 22:16]
Bobby Roode looks to show Los Angeles why he is the glorious one when he takes on Japanese sensation Kota Ibushi in NXT.

NXT Live Event 10/30/2016 – Three’s a Crowd [Duration: 29:09]
The NXT Championship is on the line as Shinsuke Nakamura looks to retain against Samoa Joe and Eric Young in a triple threat contest.

Because I love Ibushi I am kinda curious about Ibushi-Roode
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
Among some Black History Month content getting posted is a Championship Wrestling from Florida match featuring Ron Simmons versus Bad News Allen.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Razor Ramon dark match debut is p. wild. Seeing him in long trunks and coming down to generic rock music is a trip. It's amazing how much a few little tweaks really transformed him from being potential also ran to the star he is today. He seemed as close to Diamond Stud as the Razor we know and love.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 07:26:20 AM »
WWE Network just uploaded Bob Backlund defending the WWWF title against Greg Valentine in a 60-minute Broadway from 1979. Watch it if you've never seen it before; it is a classic and one of the best efforts you'll ever see from both participants.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »
I'm asking this 100% seriously because that match sounds fucking awesome already, but does it take Valentine 20 minutes to warm up? Dead serious.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I'm asking this 100% seriously because that match sounds fucking awesome already, but does it take Valentine 20 minutes to warm up? Dead serious.

Word is he smoked and actually hated the long stuff because he would blow up.