Author Topic: Rocket League  (Read 5660 times)

Description:

Offline AnonymousBroccoli

Rocket League
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:58:27 AM »
I figure it's worth spinning out of the Random thread by now. It's getting updates, and seems like others are playing it.

The AquaDome update is out now.

Update Info | Patch Notes

New cars Triton and Proteus are available now as well, at $1.99 each. Unfortunately, Canadian PS4 pricing has them bumped up to $2.99 each.

Steam | PlayStation 4 | Xbox One

Re: Rocket League
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 06:02:46 AM »
If you missed it, about a month ago there was a significant update adding a new Rumble mode, a crate & key item system, among other stuff.

Update Info | Patch Notes

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:11:28 AM »
This really is the perfect "I have 30 minutes to kill" game.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 04:22:19 AM »
30 minutes turns into an entire night real quick.

Rumble mode is the most fun and most annoying thing in this game. It actually levels the playing field between those who are incredible at aerials and those who prefer a more grounded approach due to the randomness of the powers. The spikes seem OP until you realize that anybody with freeze or power can block it dead in its tracks, and it really seems like only the tornado is weak (even then, I've seen plenty of goals from those who've perfected it).

My favorite mode is still the hockey one (Snow Day), and being able to set up an Exhibition hockey match with Rumble mode power-ups is nuts.

I've opened 4 crates so far. I don't mind throwing money at keys since the money goes to the RLCS, thus keeping the game alive, and I've enjoyed each decal I've gotten out of it. I even lucked out on a Road King XL my first crate! Now, I just really need that X Devil MkII...

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »
Rocket League Championship Series (Psyonix & Twitch's big competitive league) is having a Mid-Season Mayhem week. 8-team best-of-5 bracket; North America on Saturday, Europe on Sunday. Viewers vote on map and mutator choice for the first 4 games, with the possible #5 going to a Rumble match.

The 2nd round had arguably the top 2 North American teams play Pillars and Cosmic maps, then Friendly Fire and Pinball mutators.

https://www.twitch.tv/rocketleague

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
I'm playing and having a blast. But I'll add that it can be a quick "hey, I'll play for a little bit" and next "I started at 7pm, why is it now 2am?" types of games.

• Laz
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
What's everybody using for cars?

I cycle regularly between Ripper, Marauder, Esper, and the Road Hod XL almost nightly, with some use of Grog and Triton as well.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 04:55:21 AM »
Breakout, Dominus GT, Merc, Takumi and Octane. Mainly use Takumi.

I also will soon be able to bust out the Takumi RX-T and Masamune in a few days as I offered a few items I scored for them and a few items. Technically he gave me Masamune already but I have it parked because the trade is still waiting on timers to finish. When it is totally complete then I will drive it.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »
I'm still using the DeLorean DLC car. Wish it could have mods on it, but it's still pretty cool.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
Dominus, Breakout, Batmobile and Octane supposedly are the most used. I shalt be different and utilize Takumi RX-T and Masamune!

• Laz
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:39:08 AM »
PS4 got screwed on exclusive cars. The XBONE has the Armadillo (based on Gears of War) and the Halo Warthog, while PS4 gets...Sweet Tooth.

I started using the Breakout last night after unlocking a new skin for it. It's alright, sure, but it feels a little generic compared to what I've been using.

Since Private Online matches are password protected and cross-platform, I'm thinking we should get a game going. When's everybody free?

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:47:31 AM »
I need to reschedule some things for this weekend.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 03:51:56 AM »
I started using the Breakout last night after unlocking a new skin for it. It's alright, sure, but it feels a little generic compared to what I've been using.
Hate to double post, but yeah. Depending on how this weekend goes, I might be able to squeeze it in.

As for why people use Breakout, it is because Breakout has a very good flat service that allows for being able to control your shots better when you flip. Also it is one of the lighter cars so it can have a mean air game.

A lot of the pros use it for that reason. Though I prefer working on my ground game, because if you can control the ground, no one can go flying.

Same reason why the Batmobile, Dominus, Octane and Merc are good options. The ones I mentioned are just used the most because they are the simplest to master. I don't mean that as if everyone can't master the others, but it is a cost and effort tying. Like, the pros want to be able to use something right away and be able to maintain a high level of play without needing to focus more on what needs to be done.

Like, if someone would take the time and effort, they'd realize that the best car for being a goaltender is the Scarab. It has the greatest turn rate out of all the cars I've seen, so you can get into position for saves really quickly. Plop on the best turning wheels I've found, Mountaineer, and she'll be able to to stop things easily.

Also, yes, wheels actually do change your cars turn rate, acceleration and breaking. Well it isn't really breaking per se, but how quickly you can lower your speed, hence why I said "breaking". It is only slight differences, so you won't notice them unless you put them on certain cars.

Anyways, just me rambling. I'll probably free with some time this weekend, as I don't think I'll be able to attend the program I signed up for. As I've got slammed with assignments and projects for next week. Stupid midterms are coming up.

• Laz
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 04:12:32 AM »
I wish I saved a clip of it, but I made an absolutely gorgeous aerial save with the Esper on the Pillars map in Rumble. Right at the face-off, the opposing team nailed a great arc shot while my teammates (both in prime face-off position) did nothing, so a quick jump and boost and whammy: shot on goal.

Neo-Tokyo and the other Rocket Labs arena of similar design are shyte. The multiple tiers throws me off every time, especially since there's a bit of lower gravity on them (at least in the Labs one).

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 04:13:46 AM »
There's Halloween items in drops starting today, until Nov 1. Items from Halloween 2015 are also back, and won't return in the future.

https://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016-Halloween-Items/

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »
So you guys ever want to get together for some rocketing?

• Laz
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 10:48:10 PM »
Aye-aye. We just need to agree on a time to set the private room up.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:03 AM »
Saturday or Sunday would work best for me.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 04:29:24 AM »
Here's the first show from Danny O'Dwyer's company, Noclip.

• Laz
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:51 AM »
Is Saturday around 3:30-4PM (Eastern) good for a CXF game?

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
Don't see any problems for myself.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 04:34:49 AM »
We still attempting this? I only saw myself and Laz interested, so I'm guessing not.

• Laz
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 06:20:10 AM »
I'm still game

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
Well, it isn't going to be today for me. Things came up and I am going to be jetting in about 30 or so minutes. Fun times.

• Laz
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 06:28:47 AM »
Edit: nevermind

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 03:20:07 AM »
Sorry for not being available Laz. Did you guys have fun at least? Or did it not happen? Still would be down to trying to get this happen.

• Laz
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »
Didn't happen, seems like we're the only two interested. You running off PC or console?

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
On PC, keyboard and mouser.

...yes, I can hear the gasp of horror over that.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Why?

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »
Why as in why on keyboard and mouse? I don't own one.

Why in horror? Pretty much everyone tells me I should be playing on a game pad. Not because I suck (playmaker only here), but that it'll be a better experience.

• Laz
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
I've only played on console, but I can imagine the controller making your life a hell of a lot easier. Pick up a controller and map a few buttons differently (namely switch the air roll/powerslide from square/X to L1/LB) and you'll notice your game improve very quickly.

• Laz
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 04:59:21 AM »
Vulcan looks like the XDevil with parts stripped out of it, and the new arena looks much better than AquaDome (which is stupid hard to judge due to the surrounding environment).

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »
Starbase ARC update should be up now, or soon if not.

https://rocketleaguegame.com/news/patch-notes-v1-25/
https://rocketleaguegame.com/game-info/starbase-arc/

Base game is 40% off on Steam. DLC is not; I assume keys are not.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/

• Laz
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
It's out. Looks like they added more arenas to Rumble, or at least one already come across ones that I don't remember being available in Rumble.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
In the patch notes, it says they removed the Rocket Labs playlist, and put those maps into all casual playlists (except Hoops and hockey, I assume). Though I know Cosmic, Octagon (now Starbase), and Pillars were in Rumble before.

They also fixed up AquaDome some—performance optimization, and getting rid of the weird ball reflection.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 07:13:04 AM »
It's out. Looks like they added more arenas to Rumble, or at least one already come across ones that I don't remember being available in Rumble.
Pretty much all the Labs playlist from last time is now in. Meaning we should have some more ones soon.

In the patch notes, it says they removed the Rocket Labs playlist, and put those maps into all casual playlists (except Hoops and hockey, I assume). Though I know Cosmic, Octagon (now Starbase), and Pillars were in Rumble before.

They also fixed up AquaDome some—performance optimization, and getting rid of the weird ball reflection.
Have you played Double Goal? Holy hell that's a weird one, because nearly all shots except north-south ones are dangerous.

Also, Starbase is probably my favorite one because there's no long or chaotic pieces to it.  The action is always happening and you can have your goalie cheat up to help on offense and get back pretty quickly to help on defense.

Now just give me a circle stage and I'll be a happy player.

Oh, Gizmo and X-Devil received free updated costumes, so they have different bounces now.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 09:40:02 AM »
Have you played Double Goal? Holy hell that's a weird one, because nearly all shots except north-south ones are dangerous.
I played a fair bit of Rocket Labs while it was there, so yup, I played some Double Goal. During this past season of RLCS, they had the Midseason Mayhem weekend, where Twitch chat voted on maps and mutators. The non-standard maps came up pretty often, and those were interesting to see top-tier teams play on.

I sorta wish they'd bring back the original Underpass, rather than just having it be a duplicate bare Neo Tokyo layout. And I remember liking the original, smaller Utopia Retro (donut map) better. Though I don't necessarily play a fast pace, so having to cover a lot of ground doesn't suit me well.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 05:09:39 AM »
I really dislike that Groove Ground one, where the nearly all shots at the net go into the net. Such a pain in the arse to play with out competent players. Though I did have an awesome 0-0 game in which we had two awesome goalies who kept saving everything. Took an awesome shot by our team's third member to win us the game.

I don't think I played Underpass. I tried staying away from Rocket Labs, because I want to be surprised with the new arenas.

• Laz
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 04:43:07 AM »
Is that the one set up similar to Neo-Tokyo but with the elevated platform by the goals? It's pretty easy to defend those goals if you know what you're doing, IMO.

Anybody else follow any of the YouTubers? I sub to JonSandman and NeatMike (Woofless being the only "F2" teammate I don't sub because he's a bit of a dick), and it's always fun randomly checking out freestyle goals.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
I don't happen to yet. Though, I'll probably get around to when I feel like I need to "up my game". Right now, screwing around is my favorite thing to do.

• Laz
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »
Watching their technique on aerials has definitely upped my game, and there was an episode where Jon, Mike, and Rob all took on G2's Kronovi (RLCS championship team) and...well, it didn't go well for the three of them.

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 06:21:19 AM »
I'm not especially familiar with YouTube channels. First I'd heard of F2 was from Kronovi's game. JHZER plays as a sub on the world champion team, but I haven't seen his videos. I've watched a few from Gibbs.

I watch some of the top-tier guys on Twitch (Rizzo, Kronovi; Jacob and Fireburner from NRG), and some slightly below pro-level, more personality guys too (Low5ive, Amoney, Dareyck). Sometimes I'll catch a few tournament games from Mockit, Gfinity, PRL, etc. Whatever looks good on the top streams page.

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Rocket%20League

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2016, 01:47:22 AM »

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
 :-\ Okay, I'm still learning to fly. Damn.

On that note, since I'm trying to fly now, I've managed to up my saves. Which is nice.

• Laz
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 03:36:16 AM »
I'm still getting the hang of flying but I've incorporated it into the ground game I have going, which means quite a few interceptions and just overall blocked shots. It's definitely upped my defense game, which helps when the rest of my team are ball chasers.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 03:46:33 AM »
There are people who don't chase the ball? What madness is this that you describe?!

YOU HEATHEN!

• Laz
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 05:22:32 AM »
I really need to start streaming and saving/uploading games again. Last night I joined a pair of try-hard's in Rumble who were missing easy saves but spamming the chatbox with "what a save!" when I missed one (though both saw me either tap the ball and almost clear it), so the heel turn by playing against my teammates felt so satisfying.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »

• Laz
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Too brilliant a move. Hopefully this leads to RL cars getting their own Hot Wheels toys, because I would totally buy an X-Devil MKII.